Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Merrill-Valkner Sundiver Field Projector

Status
Not open for further replies.
[SIZE=11pt]
vasilii-trushin-screenshot011.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]PRODUCTION INFORMATION[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Manufacturer: [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Merrill-Valkner Systems Engineering (MVSE)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Model: Sundiver Field Projector[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Affiliation: Closed market (ask first)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Modularity: None[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Production: Limited[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Material: Steristeel, electronics[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]SPECIAL FEATURES[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Kerts-Bhrg field generators[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Advanced cooling systems[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Advanced radiation protection systems[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]STRENGTHS[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Allows a ship to fly through, and hide within, a star’s corona.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]WEAKNESSES[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Capital energy weapons will bring down the field and let in the full fury of a stellar corona. The Kerts-Bhrg field is outside of the ship’s normal shields.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]Cannot be installed on any ship under 25 metres, or which has a fighter-style cockpit, due to console bulk, processor load, and power requirements.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]A ship can remain inside a star for no longer than half an hour.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]DESCRIPTION[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]A Kerts-Bhrg field allows starships to operate safely within the outer layers of a star, where temperatures rank in tens of thousands of degrees rather than millions. The Rebel Alliance was known to use it in extreme circumstances, and the Hapan royal family even installed one on the legendary floating palace called the Star Home. In the modern era, the technology has largely gone unnoticed and unused, apart from a miniature version installed in a Sith Empress’ [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]personal transport[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]. [/SIZE]Merrill-Valkner Systems Engineering has replicated the old Sith Empire design for production, at least in limited numbers.

[SIZE=11pt]A Kerts-Bhrg field is polyhedral. The generators are best installed at a ship’s extremities (e.g. wingtips, belly, nose) such that flat planes between them will cover the entire hull. Any part of the hull that projects outside the field will melt almost instantly upon immersion in the star, and probably before that. Spacewalking is not recommended.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]The Sundiver package includes powerful cooling and radiation-protection systems that might - [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]might - [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]let a well-shielded ship escape if the Kerts-Bhrg field begins to destabilize. But what's the point of diving into a star without a little risk, right?[/SIZE]

Hello, I'll be judging your submission this evening!

So my only hang up with this field projector is that 30 minutes seems like an exceptionally long time, especially for the smaller ships with smaller generators. Can you find me a source stating that these fields can last that long? If not I'll need the time ranged down to ten minutes.

[member="Mara Merrill-Valkner"]

[member="Adron Malvern"]

This is the toned-down miniature version. If you take a look at the Wook page, you'll note an episode where one of these fields protected an entire fleet for hours until a malfunction. Another passage in the Wook page indicates that the field could have lasted almost indefinitely (while orbiting within the corona).

This is an interesting submission. I do think it may be a bit unrealistic even for star wars in terms of the canon version somehow being able to ward off over 8,000 degrees kelvin for an indefinite period of time, but I don't see this ever coming to pass where it will be abused so I will pass it without issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom