Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Mask of Mandalore the Ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mask of Mandalore
bujnzjK.jpg

Image Source: HERE
Intent: A factory submission to claim a canon Relic of the Mandalorian People
Development Thread: Reclaiming-what-was-lost
http://starwarsrp.net/topic/81327-reclaiming-what-was-lost
Manufacturer: Ancient Mandalorian Armorers, Ijaat Mereel
Model: N/A
Affiliation: Ijaat Mereel.
Modularity: Minimal - Internal components could technically be swapped out.
Production: Unique
Classification: Multi-Purpose
Weight: 2.50kg (Medieval Great Helms weighed 1.5-3kg on average)

Quality: 10
Materials: Beskar, Copper, Electronics, Glasteel
Special Features:

Description:
There is perhaps no being in life of the Galaxy who does not know the visage this mask casts, even with the gaps in history caused by the Gulag Plague. It is a fearsome looking thing, to be sure, made by ancient Mandalorian beskar smiths to emulate the extinct Taung people and their face. Overall it achieves the fearsome look of the shadow warriors, without pushing so far as to appear overly as an emulation to the source of the aesthetic, more a fitting tribute and nod to the founders of the race than an outright replica or facsimile of their appearance. Something in the Taung that is conveyed even in their artistic renderings also transferred to this mask, a certain air of sinister lethality.

Overall though, it is not quite as protective as a modern Mandalorian helmet, being only a front-facing mask of beskar adorned with flutings to give the illusion of profile and facial features. The classic T-Visor that has graced every helmet of the Mando'ade since time immemorial graces this helmet as well, though the glasteel is an older variety that does little than function as a projection surface for the various internal systems and help reduce glare and the like.

Many weaknesses exist that Ijaat and others who restored the mask purposely left in, like the tubing for the oxygen canisters being exposed, and external oxygen tanks and scrubber as well. This was less about lack of know-how on the part of Ijaat, and more to do with the fact this is a historical relic and it would feel hubritic to alter it in any substantial way. It was brought up to mostly standard functionality that could be expected of such a device, with care to keep it as close to the original systems as possible. However it was never expected to work on par with a premiere battle helmet, with obvious external weaknesses, and further weaknesses to things like EMP and Ion attacks. The only new alteration was the addition of a set of small mag-clamps so that the mask could function like a literal mask and clamp onto the front of a modern buc'ye with no issue.

It is in the end a symbol of the pride, honor, and leadership of the Mando'ade, and a source of hope for them. Nothing more or less.

Primary Source: Mandalore's Mask: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mandalore's_Mask

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

Ijaat Mereel said:
Primary Source: Mask of Mandalore
This should link to the article for the mask itself, not the planet.

Are all of the features listed additional things added recently, such as "Mandalorian Steel" (which is a factory submission made in the last month), or do you have canon information to support the systems and such being added to the mask?

Braith Achlys said:
Are all of the features listed additional things added recently, such as "Mandalorian Steel" (which is a factory submission made in the last month), or do you have canon information to support the systems and such being added to the mask?
Ijaat Mereel said:
Many weaknesses exist that Ijaat and others who restored the mask purposely left in, such as the cowl. Others, like the tubing for the oxygen canisters being exposed, and external oxygen tanks and scrubber as well, were left in too. This was less about lack of know-how on their parts, and more to do with the fact this is a historical relic. It was brought up to mostly standard functionality that could be expected of such a device, however it was never expected to work on par with a premiere battle helmet, with obvious external weaknesses, and further weaknesses to things like EMP and Ion attacks.
The emphasis added to the first line last paragraph of the submission shows the answer to the first part of your question. I figured i'd put the Mandalorian steel in as the base metal/weave component for the cowl just for a tie in to the culture. I am keenly aware of it's approval date, as I helped draft the sub. My thinking being on this submision, such an object would need restoring after so long in existence. I can't reach Ordo, who had it last, to see what, if anything, he was doing with it ICly, in so far as restoration or functionality... So I just went off common sense. Fabric armor like a cowl, rubber tubings, and electronics would be in common sense replaced. And given most of the depictions show these things, I included them.

Honestly the cowl is conjecture in a sense. As is the systems included. Pretty much anything beyond a shaped bit of beskar and a visor are, and one could argue even that the visor is, as technically the mask could mag clamp over a standard Mandalorian helmet right at the visor and thus not even have that. Given the pictures I am finding are showing tubes and hoses and 02 with it and always a sort of hood/cowl, excepting when it is displayed as a prop, I included a limited version of those systems. I can remove that, if you want. It would then flow off whatever functionality the armor has. Which would actually make this a more 'powerful' bit of armor really.

The systems are flexible. I kept the cowl and visor and basic systems in place/added because it made sense in my mind.There is no cannon verdict one way or the other whether it is just a clamped mask, a neo-crusader style system of a shell helmet, mask, and armored cowl, or what, so I extrapolated and went for the weaker side of middle on the extremes I could argue for given the time period, style, and representations.

The idea in including the cowl, and the limited systems, was to keep someone from loading it with a ton of bells and whistles from their armor, and to keep it more as a status symbol than a blinged out helmet. If I unintentionally gave it too much systemically, please let me know. I have no qualms what-so-ever gutting it.

As a note, since several people have groused on it to me privately, but no one is saying it publicly.... I realize this character is slated to retire. I am not trying to throw anything in the face of an activity clause or circumvent a faction not holding items. Soon as I get the mask, there is going to be at least one, if not more threads, wherein I am turning it over to another character(I'd rather not spell out who). So if that in anyway is an issue, rest easy there. I'm not going to keep it, nor am I tweaking rules. I just happen to be the one who did the dev and the sub as ICly it makes the most sense to do is this way, and is a nice bit of story for Ijaat to hand it off.

[member="Braith Achlys"]

EDIT: Fixed the link as well. Personally I have no idea how it screwed up. It was acting wonky when I posted it, I am certain that is what is going on.

FURTHER EDIT: I can't fix the link... I think it has to do with the fact that the URL has an apostrophe in it. Every time I link it, I copy the wiki page link into the pop-up box perfectly, and it results in a garbled mess of code, or a link to Mandalore the planet. To avoid this, I am just directly hyper-linking the page, despite the fact it looks terrible.

[member="Ijaat Mereel"]
With the development provided, in which you won the mask back in battle, I would prefer it be as close to canon as possible. Any additional systems or materials should have development included for them, as they did not exist in the mask as shown via canon sources. An O2 tank and such is fine, I was more referring just to the additional metals and stuff added in. The thread itself is a good read and perfectly acceptable for obtaining the base-item. If you want to tweak the submission as to be as close to your interpretation of canon, that, too, is fine. Just @Mention me with a response in regards to that.

tl;dr: As you asked/noted in your closing sentiment, regarding if it has too much armor systems (features), to let you know, I feel this includes a bit more than what is made perfectly clear or heavily implied in canon. I'd like either a little development (just posts adding these features to the helmet) to justify those which go beyond canon, or a removal/adjustment of the submission's special features over-all to align it as closely to canon as possible.

Ijaat Mereel said:
As a note, since several people have groused on it to me privately, but no one is saying it publicly.... I realize this character is slated to retire. I am not trying to throw anything in the face of an activity clause or circumvent a faction not holding items. Soon as I get the mask, there is going to be at least one, if not more threads, wherein I am turning it over to another character(I'd rather not spell out who). So if that in anyway is an issue, rest easy there. I'm not going to keep it, nor am I tweaking rules. I just happen to be the one who did the dev and the sub as ICly it makes the most sense to do is this way, and is a nice bit of story for Ijaat to hand it off.
That was actually going to be a point I was going to bring up in regards to the affiliation you have placed on the item, but you have gone ahead and cleared that up for me here, so I'll hold your word to it in that instance. I just need the affiliation changed so it is specifically, and only, to your character.

[member="Braith Achlys"]

The link and formatting should be fixed now. If they bug out again, let me know. It has been showing me it is fine even after an edit until I refresh the page. No idea what that is about.

Affiliation should be fixed too.

For the systems and features, I removed the cowl entirely. Even though I think it makes sense to include it, in the end the argument comes down to personal belief and preference. And since I really want to push this as a status symbol more than uber helmet, it's not something i'm gonna loose sleep over including or not including. I also sliced down a few of the more extraneous systems, but left in what I feel is the pretty standard/minimal set of things for a Bounty Hunter mask. Given the modularity wording I left in for the submission, if someone wants to trick it out in the future, they can, but it will at current remain pretty basic.

Let me know if you have any further recommendations for slicing it down. I think it's pretty basic, but I'm open if you have things you'd rather see go.

Ijaat Mereel said:
6 (back of head/neck portion, made of Mandalorian Steel armor weave)
I think you may have forgotten this tidbit (the mandalorian steel part, not the back). If you intend to keep a protection on the back, I'd suggest canonical armorweave, which can still justify this quality of protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom