Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mandal Hypernautics: More than a Name

Much to the annoyance of Rygel Larraq, his office STILL smelled of flowers when he eventually returned from his brief trip to Ord Mantell. He was beginning to think that either someone had found a bottle of never-fading perfume, or his secretary was secretly scenting his room to spite him for some reason.

He'd have to look into that...

As he plopped down on his chair and reached for a pot of coffee, his daily itinerary caught his eye. Blinking red, his desk datascreen did its best to warn him that he was already twenty minutes late for an appointment. Larraq sighed and opened the relevant information.

Apparently, his round of job interviews were not quite finished. Somehow his secretary had piled three more interviews into his schedule for today. Sipping on his coffee, Larraq skimmed through the files briefly before he made a decision on how to move forward. [member="Anija Ordo"]... Her file did not specify if she was a part of the Ordo clan by birth or mariage, but it didn't matter much to him. The woman was here for an engineering job and came from a large clan that was even more well-respected than his own.

She would be all but guaranteed a job within his company. The question would now become 'how good of a job.' He needed more than competence right now. He needed downright brilliance. And if this woman could impress him, she would find herself with quite an impressive title under her belt.

Taking another sip of his coffee, Rygel Larraq pressed a button on his desk and told his secretary to send in the first applicant. When the woman entered the room, Larraq was standing and offered a friendly smile and a nod of the head. “Ms Ordo, sorry to have kept you waiting. Lets get started, shall we?”

Anija had been sitting in the waiting room for a good twenty five minutes now. But she didn't mind overly much. She knew [member="Captain Larraq"] was a busy man. She had spent the time while she waited going over the designs for her saber and the bes'uliik [member="Arrbi Betna"] was helping her build. He'd given her the basic design for the ship, and she'd taken it from there, being sure to upgrade the tech, weapons and the computers to current specs in the design. This wasn't going to be any easy task, but she enjoyed the challenge of it.

When the secretary motioned her towards the office, Anija still had the holo of the ship hovering over her datapad, at least until she reached the door. The datapad she stored in a belt pouch, the blue glow fading from her face add she did so. She did a quick check before stepping into the office, making sure her hair wasn't doing crazy things.

As she stepped into the office, she smiled slightly. He was just as Arrbi had described. She wore her dark purple beskar'gam, with her helmet clipped to her belt. Her dark hair was brushed and smooth, lacking any of the unevenness that was common for her at times.
She moved across the room and gripped his hand firmly. "Mr. Larraq. It's a pleasure to meet you. Thank you for inviting me here." She gave him another smile and settled into the chair in front of his desk.

"Well, the pleasure is all mine. Apparently you come highly recommended." Larraq said as he glanced over her resume again. Her list of references included people who Rygel Larraq would consider personal friends and respected business partners. That alone was impressive. But Larraq wanted to know more. He wanted to know what the woman was capable of and what she could do to better the company. "Why don't you tell me why you think you would be an asset to Mandal Hypernautics."

[member="Anija Ordo"]

At his question, she frowned slightly in thought for a few seconds. It wasn't a question she was very good at giving an answer to, but she would give the best one she could. "Well, Mr. Larraq, I'm sure you've seen my resume. that being said, I was personally trained by @Ordo. I'm very skilled at repairing and upgrading most systems on a handful of ships, and I'm a fast learner. I started doing that kind of thing when I was twelve." She shrugged. "I... don't know how to explain it, but I kind of have this... sixth sense about how a particular piece of machinery goes together, even if I've never seen it before." She wasn't entirely sure she wanted to let on about her Force ability just yet. "Currently, I'm designing my own personal ship, using the old Bes'uliik as a base model and working up from there."

[member="Captain Larraq"]

Rygel Larraq's pet Vornskr, Talyn, had been a near constant addition to his office since he had acquired the role of Mandal Hypernautics CEO. Vornskrs and other predatory creatures had been a part of the Larraq family for hundred of years. They were trained as companions, guardians, hunters, and for war. Rygel Larraq's was more of a pet and a companion than anything else, but was trained to identify, track, and, on command, attack Force Users.

Larraq had known that [member="Anija Ordo"] was a force user the moment she entered the room. Talyn had been laying lazily behind Larraq's desk before the doors opened for the woman. Once they opened, however, Talyn's ears perked up and the Vornskr sat up and stared directly at the woman from behind the desk. At Talyn's height, it was likely that the woman could only see the creature's head. And considering how still the Vornskr was sitting, it was likely she had mistaken him for a statue.

Larraq had given no indication that he knew the woman was a force user. That was her business and he was far from prejudges against such individuals. For all of Larraq's distrust of Jedi and Sith, a Mandalorian who happened to be able to use the force was no different from any other Mandalorian in his view. "Well, I'm sure you'll have plenty of opportunities to untilize your sixth sense here at Mandal Hypernautics." Larraq said flatly but kindly, giving no indication that he suspected her 'sixth sense' of being the force. "But I'd like to know what makes you unique. What makes you more qualified than any other engineer that walks through those doors? What do you have to offer that shows the difference between a simple mechanic, an engineer, the lead engineer I'd put on a major project, and the head of all R&D? Please Ms. Ordo, tell me more about your skills and the projects you've completed in the past. For example... The custom fighter you are working on. What can you tell me about your new designs and how you overcame challenges to achieve the current result."

Anija paused for a moment as the Vornskr locked gazes with her, and her hand stilled on it's way to her belt pouch. The hesitation only lasted perhaps a second or so. And then she was back to business as normal as she withdrew the small datapad from her belt pouch and brought up the holo of the bes'uliik before setting it on the desk between them. "I'm sure you're quite familiar with the original bes'uliik. What I've done here is a complete redesign of the vessel profile. I've also upgraded the computers, sensors, and other systems to current tech." As she spoke, she pointed out the various components, touching the holo here and there to expand the technical data.

"The most notable upgrade to date is one done to the engines. With Betna's help, I've designed custom engines. While useful in a craft of this size, there is a bit of a tradeoff. In testing, we've been able to get short bursts of faster speeds than normal, but that cannot be maintained." She paused for a second or two gathering her thoughts. "I've also worked for MandalTech, and designed a good portion of two or three of their ships and facilities which are in current use." She showed a few holos of these as well.

[member="Ordo"]
[member="Arrbi Betna"]

[member="Anija Ordo"]

Rygel Larraq's thumb and forefinger wrapped around his lips as he reviewed her credentials and listened to her story of past projects. It wasn't as extensive as he had hoped, but it did show promise. "Tell you what Ms Ordo... I think you've got more potential than this file is currently telling me. But I can't just give you a position of authority until I test that potential. I can bring you on as a junior engineer, give you a few projects, and see how you do." He said as he pointed casually at his computer screen and the information his slicers had uncovered on her, in addition to what was volunteered on her resume. "If you perform the way I expect you will, I can put you on the fast track to a senior engineer position. Continue performing to expectations and you'll continue to rise within the company."

Locking eyes with her, Larraq asked the woman honestly, "Think you can live up to those expectations?"

Anija wasn't terribly surprised. That was about what she'd expected. Sure, she had connections, but she wasn't the type who expected to be just handed a job. She had worked for everything as she grew up. Ordo's daughter or not. And she expected to do the same here. She smiled slightly. "I wouldn't expect you to just hand me such a position, Mr. Larraq. I am more than willing to work up to it. In fact, I look forward to the challenge." She held his gaze, and reached over to slip the small holoprojector back into her pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom