Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making your first Post [Guide]

This is a simple guide to making your first post in a thread, or even just any post you make. I wrote this for a friend of mine who is new to Role-play and they want to get into it, and I thought others may also find it useful.

________​

When making your first post into a thread, you will want to describe your surroundings, location etc. Are there jagged rocks protruding from the soft sand? Matte-grey walls of a space ship encompassing you on all angles. Try and flesh out your location so that both you and your fellow RP'ers know where you're in relation to the story. [Colour]

Once you have done your location, perhaps talk about what your character is wearing, what they look like. What is the colour of their eyes? What colour are their trousers, how long are their robes? Small things but this will contribute to your post greatly in creating an in-depth environment. [Colour]

Not everyone RP's what their character is thinking, and usually this is mixed in with the action part of the post. What are their views on what someone is wearing, or is the species they're talking to ugly, or the environment? It doesn't have to be long. [Colour]

Now is the part where you describe what your character is doing. What actions they're taking, as simple as twisting a door knob, or performing a wide sweep of their blade. [Colour]

None of these have to be in order, as locations can change as your character moves, and some don't even have to be used at all. Here is an example below of how this looks in a post.

The Dark Man stood atop a gnarled root of a tree. The mist of the swamp hindered his sight, and the scent of morning dew welcomed his senses. What plants he could make out with his limited range were small, sharp bushes with few possessing strangely coloured fruit. Birds cooed in the distance, and crickets bickered. He was garbed in dark black robes, as pitch black as midnight. His skin was blemished by an assortment of moles along his cheeks, and spectacles rested on his wide nose. The swamp was lonely and cold. There were much preferably places to be then out here, but alas, such was a place he found himself stuck. He began to move, an interloper on a strange and foreign planet, navigating through unknown trails and paths, beating through bushes and wading through swamps.

Nice solid write up my man. Something about the equipment... In a duel, I make a priority of the first post to list any item item on my person that I intend to use in the duel. It's not only considerate to those you are writing with, but it also prevents the notion that you just randomly generated this deus ex machina weapon. It's also the perfect time to hyperlink to any item that is either uncommon or is non canon.

I know this wasn't specific to dueling, but such things are good habits really no matter what tag precedes the title of the thread you are in.

Also, sorry if you didn't want people responding to this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom