Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Made it to 1,000 Posts

On Christmas Day 2020 I made a new subaccount for a character named Amelia Ardal. In the first and only thread I ever wrote with her, she hired a Jedi and a mercenary to hunt down and capture a Sithspawn who had been preying on livestock and villagers. The Jedi managed to forge a connection with the Sithspawn, allowing them to learn more about each other... and from there what was supposed to be a one-off adventure became a two-part story ending with the young Sithspawn, now called Kai, being brought to Coruscant, where he would face an uncertain future in the hands of the New Jedi Order. By then my interest had shifted away from Amelia and onto Kai, whose story seemed much more promising, so I changed the name of the subaccount to "The Doppelganger" and later "Kai Bamarri".

When I first started pitching ideas for threads with Kai, a lot of people didn't seem to want anything to do with him. As far as I could tell they were suspicious of/uncomfortable with the idea of a "Sithspawn Jedi". I myself was pretty anxious about whether he would work as a character, because he was unlike anything else I had ever tried before. But anyway, a few writers were willing to take a chance on him, and while it took some time, more people started to warm up to him. Since then he's been a part of some of my favorite stories, and is probably the best character I've ever written on Chaos.

TL;DR Today Kai reached 1,000 posts, the first of any of my subaccounts to reach such a goal, and per Chaos tradition that means he gets a feedback thread. I'm looking for any input, advice, opinions, criticisms, etc, on Kai and my writing in general. Whether you like him or not, whether you have a lot or a little to say, I want to know what you think.

Although I have never RPed with Kai I must say I've always kept on eye on his development. From what I can see he has been well developed and made into a character that can be set apart from the rest. Your stories with other writers have caught my eye numerous times, and I'm surprised that I still haven't reached out to do an RP with him.

Keep it up dude, I'm curious to see what route you take him down next :)

ok nerd

Kai is a good bean. In general I think there’s been an interesting little niche carved out for Sithspawn characters on Chaos and Kai stands out because of the obvious dichotomy between being one as well as being a Jedi. Overall, an intriguing concept that I think paid off well and ultimately led to where he is now, which I think is its own intriguing concept. His transition to humanity wasn’t just a ‘fix everything’ button, it came with its own consequences, good or bad, that he still had to deal with. So good job letting that actually be the case. It’s compelling.

I guess if I were to add some kind of critique, it would be that sometimes the comedic stuff can end up undermining moments or events that should be granted a more genuine or poignant tone. I looove comedic writing and joke characters, and serious moments can still be interwoven with comic relief in a way that doesn’t subvert the story, but if it does land wrong, then it leads to some tonal whiplash that conflicts with what you or another writer are trying to accomplish. All that said, I don’t think it’s necessarily an epidemic issue of your writing, just something that I personally have picked up on and figured I’d throw out as a point to maybe keep in mind.

I like your characters, and I like how you write ‘em. Which I hope was already clear given the fact that we continue writing threads lol. Oh also you have the restraint to make short posts that don’t feel the need to stretch out a scene just for the sake of filling an arbitrary word count. Kind of a small thing, but one which I always respect and like to encourage. Keep it up, I look forward to seeing where you take things next. As long as it doesn’t involve making more questionable comments about my green skin.

A brilliant fire
Top Poster Of Month
Woo! Awesome that you got to 1000 posts :)

As for the character, I haven't interacted a looot with Kai myself, but I've seen a lot of your posts and read plenty of them too. He's a very unique take on existing star wars topics, and I think you've worked through a lot of the obstacles of writing that really well. He quickly grew into an important character not only in his own story but in that of others as well, which is something I always find fun and somewhat important in a cooperative writing environment. Shows that the character (and writer) really develops stories together with people.

Now that we've been writing quite a bit with Miri/Kyell, and Valery/Percival a while back, I can also safely say that you're very fun and pleasant to write with. Your posts are very clear and especially concise, which I personally still struggle with. You respond well and in interesting ways to what others write, and actively contribute to moving a story along. You essentially are both a player and DM in a story, which I always really enjoy \o/

As for criticism about Kai, I think Amani's suggestion is solid, and I don't really have any other things I feel stand out. I'd really love to write more with you, and I hope to see you continue going strong with all your characters!

Kai's one of my favorites. It was a random thread that put Iris, him, and Val against some zombies that really helped to flesh her out as a character, and y'know. Introduce me to the Sithspawn Jedi and rhe story behind that. I didn't read how it started, and I didn't need to.

His struggles, on point. The fact he finally got out of the Sithspawn body but in a terrible way, stuck in a corpse of a drug addict and all these new troubles that come with it, super intense.

It's been a lot of fun to see him grow with all these troubles he's gotta deal with. You yourself are a blast to write with and sling posts to and fro, so I don't have much else to say.

will you sink down to me?
Kai's made me laugh, he's made me cry. I'm so glad Damsy got to be a part of his story. Their philosophy about what it means to be a Sithspawn trying to do good in a galaxy full of stigma has diverged a lot since they first met—almost a 'redeemed versus empowered' dynamic—but I honestly love it. I hope they can reunite and come to an understanding, but let's not force it.

mom!Damsy x son!Kai adoptive family OTP

ok, luv u, bai

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom