Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech M31 Tractor Wand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picture the above with a wire coming out one end, and a trigger and button.... Yeah, I can't find a good image.

Image Source: vacumcleanershop.com
Intent: To create a way for Makkik to reach out-of-reach things, as well as fufill and order from Suvian Scienses
Development Thread: Will happily create one if needed
Manufacturer: Prototype made by Makkik, mass produced by Arceneau Trade Company
Model: M31 Tractor Wand
Affiliation: Open Market
Modularity: No
Production: Minor
Material: Durasteel, circuitry, wires, power cell, energy field projector
Description: The Tractor Wand was a design thought up long ago by Makkik, and recently brought to life as Jeff Solaris expressed interest in something much like Makkik's original idea. Tractor beam technology has already been miniaturized in the past in order to lift building supplies, clear rubble, and secure small vehicles such as speeder bikes. Why not make it even smaller? So that's what Makkik did. The wand looks like, well, a metal wand (go figure), with a projector at the end. From the back a thin wire runs to a small power pack that can either be worn on the upper arm or back of the user. The wand's operation is simple; point, and pull the tirgger. once the trigger is pulled a miniature energy field, a tractor beam, will fire from the end and wrap around whatever the was pointed at, within the range of 15 meters. From there, the item within the tractor beam's control can be moved with a simple wave, or can be pulled to the wielder of the wand with the push of a button. The wand, however, does not ocme without it's weaknesses. For instance; it's battery can only withstand continuous use for up to thirty seconds, and can only provide five minutes of use before the pack must be recharged, or replaced. Also, the beam, due to teh small size of the wand, cannot lift or move anything more then 27 kilograms. It is, of course, advised not to press the 'retract' button with large items, either... Since it will pull whatever you're tractor wand is holding directly to you at high speeds. Do this with a boulder, and you get crushed. Simple as that. The wand is perfect, however, for moving rubble, throwing things, and similer uses- as well as being perfect for the smaller members of the galaxy that tend to have trouble reaching things. This is a shout out to the Ewoks and Jawas of the galaxy!

(c) Makkik and Suvian Sciences

(I have permission from [member="Jeff Solaris"] to use Suvian for this, as I am an employee of Suvian Sciences.)

[member="Makkik"]
I like it, however, some problems:
This is a pole that can fling objects that weigh 300 lbs at high speeds. I get that it's a tractor beam, but please lower the maximum weight to something more reasonable.
How lethal is a throw from a weapon like this?

Would 200 lbs be acceptable?

As far as how lethal it is, it's basically the same concept as a force user's telekinesis. Won't be lethal, unless you drop a piano on someone. Will just knock them around, maybe knock them out if they hit their head hard enough.

Hope that answers your question. :)
[member="Strask Ak'lya"]

[member="Makkik"]
From a handheld device? closer to 50 lb (25 kg, roughly).
Could you target a being with it (For example, could it be used to throw ewoks around, or something akin)? And if so, what would it do to said being?

Dang. I was hoping to be able to toss around humans. :p Will drop it down to 50 pounds tho'.

Yes, pretty much anything within the weight limit could be targeted as long as it's not attached to something else. (I.E It can't be used on, say, a human's arm, because it's attached to a human. And it wouldn't hold the human, as it's more then 50 lbs.)

It would pretty much be like someone just telekinetically gripped the Ewok. He wouldn't be able to move much for thirty seconds until the beam fails to continue.

[member="Strask Ak'lya"]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom