Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Vehicle M3 Aegis MBT

Status
Not open for further replies.
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
hover_tank_by_therollingman-d5z0vot.jpg
  • Intent: To provide the heavy Main Battle Tank (MBT) of the Republic Remnant
  • Image Source: X
  • Canon Link: N/A
  • Restricted Missions: N/A
  • Primary Source: N/A
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: Republic Industries (Republic Remnant)
  • Model: M3 Aegis MBT
  • Affiliation: Republic Remnant
  • Modularity: No
  • Production: Limited
  • Material: Ferrocarbon frame, composite armor plating (Ferrocarbon [Top layer] Trimantium [Second layer], Dura-armor [Final layer]. between each layer is a thin layer of Quantum Fiber), standard tank components.
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Classification:: Tank
Role: Main Battle Tank
Size: Very Large
Weight: Very Heavy

Minimum Crew: Two [Driver/Gunner]
Optimal Crew: Three [Driver/Gunner/Commander]
Propulsion: Repulsorlift
Speed: 60 kph Slow
Maneuverability: Very Low
Armaments: Very High
  • Heavy Repeating Blaster, Very Low
  • Heavy Rail Cannon, Very High
Defenses: Very High
  • Heavy Composite Armor, Very High
  • Redundant Deflector Shields, High
Squadron Count: 3, Very Low
Passenger Capacity: 0 [Although, I suppose some can clamber on top and ride]
Cargo Capacity: Very Small

SPECIAL FEATURES
Strengths:
  • Advanced Armor - The Aegis, as befitting its name, is covered in thick composite plates, it wears multiple layers of the armor including reactive armor to further reduce damage from explosive and kinetic energy. Unlike most tanks, the armor is thickest on the sides, then the front, followed by the rear, bottom and, finally, the top.
  • Redundant Shielding - The tank has a series shield generators set up in two pairs. The shield generators are programmed to switch over to the others when the shield hits 60%, this allows the shields to better endure normal AT weaponry. The shielding does have a glaring weakness in that should an especially potent AT weapon hit, it will smash through the shielding before the second can rise to cover it.
  • Powerful Cannon - The main gun of the Aegis is an extremely potent rail cannon designed to go excel against heavy armor. The cannon is very poor against 'soft' targets due to the nature of the Rail Cannon, it is a dedicated anti-vehicle weapon and that is a task to which it excels at.
  • Long Range - The rail cannon packs impressive range able to exceed the firing range of most other tanks, however, the rail cannon is very hard to 'arc' even with computer assisted trajectory as the hypervelocity nature means it is some time before it loses its forward momentum enough to properly curve.
Weaknesses:
  • Slow/Heavy - The Aegis, even for a tank, is exceedingly heavy and slow. It is not getting anywhere fast and urban environments are a nightmare for this thing, there is no 'dime turns' there is only, 'rams through the building'. This tank cannot be easily carried or drop by standard dropships and takes special, full scale deployment to get planetside.
  • Soft Targets - The Aegis is not meant to fight infantry, the only weapon it has is its heavy repeating blaster which will be of questionable use for any true infantry advance, this makes infantry armed with AT weapon the Aegis' greatest foe (as well as artillery and airsupport), however, the Aegis is never meant to be sent into battle without infantry support of its own.
  • Firing Rate - The firing rate of the Aegis' Rail Cannon is exceedingly slow. While the reload is fairly quick, the time it takes for the tank to 'power' the cannon up again is painfully slow and leaves it incredibly vulnerable to return fire, especially, in larger tank engagements as, due to their low numbers, they are nearly always going to be outnumbered.
  • Energy Draw - When the Aegis is firing, the main generators are tapped to power the main gun greatly weakening the shields leaving it dangerously exposed to counter fire. Once the weapon has discharged, the energy will be return to the shields bringing them back up to their previous level.
DESCRIPTION
The Aegis is the new MBT of the Republic Remnant. It is in limited production as it undergoes combat trials as the current tank, albeit weaker, is cheaper to produce. The Aegis was designed with a simple idea, 'Take the punch and knock them out', and that is a role it excels at. It is not fast and suffers from more then its share of weaknesses, especially, against large number of targets [due to the slow firing rate of its cannon] and soft targets [infantry]. Its strength lies in fighting other tanks and vehicles, using its superior range, armor and weaponry to turn them into scrap.

Technical Explanations

Crew: The Aegis has three crew members, the driver whose primary task is to, well, drive the tank. This is incredibly important as tanks need to keep a constant situational awareness and ensure the strongest armor is always pointed at their foe doing their best to keep the armor angled to stop a direct shot. The gunner controls only the Rail Cannon, as the heavy repeating blaster is remotely controlled by the commander, and his job is also a bit more complex as he needs to ensure he doesn't drain the shields at critical moments and, because of the slow reload, the gunner cannot afford to miss. The gunners of the Aegis are always prized for their accuracy and calm under pressure. The commander is in charge of observing the scanners to keep situational awareness up, controlling the heavy repeating blaster and is in charge of the communication systems.

Defensive Systems: The Aegis is a tank in all true meanings of the word. Its advanced composite armor is angled to better resist direct hits and it has a lot of this armor. It is a bit different from other tanks in that its frontal armor is not the thickest, that honor belongs to the side armor which tends to throw most opposition off as they often go for side, or rear, shots as, rule of thumb, tells them that tends to be thinner armor. Outside of the thick armor, the Aegis boast a redundant shielding system allowing it to better endure long, protracted engagements or battlefield conditions. When the shields are weakened, they switch over to the secondary shields allowing the primary time to rest and restore. This system does have the flaw in that the 'overall' shield is weaker then it would be otherwise and exceptionally potent anti-tank weaponry can smash through the primary shield before the secondary has time to rise, but its superior endurance in protracted engagements have made the researchers decide this was an acceptable trade off. Like most republic vehicles, the Aegis boast a 4x-Phantom short-range sensor jammer to disrupt targeting systems.

Weapon Systems: The Aegis has two weapons, the first, and weakest, is the heavy repeating blaster. This weapon is its primary, and only, anti-infantry weapon, however, its slower rate of fire mean it is not nearly adequate enough to defend the tank or keep infantry sufficiently suppressed which is why the Aegis lives off of Infantry support, to guard its flanks from soft targets. The second, and main, weapon of the Aegis is its Rail Cannon, the large cannon is a very potent anti-armor gun. The Rail Cannon fires at hypervelocity speeds making it incredibly accurate as there is very little, if any, shot displacement or drop. The weapon is very potent.. as is its draw. When this weapon is priming to fire, it draws most of the power from the generators greatly weakening the shields, if the shields are already weakened, this can cause them to completely deactivate until the weapon discharges allowing the energy to restore back to its secondary systems, like its shielding.

Iona Immarya said:
Armaments: Heavy Repeating Blaster, Very Low Heavy Rail Cannon, Very High Defenses: Heavy Composite Armor, Very High Redundant Deflector Shields, High
We need overall ratings for Armament and Defense as a collective whole for these areas, rather than by specific subsystem.

Iona Immarya said:
The main gun of the Aegis is an extremely potent rail cannon and is incredibly hard to resist for all but the heaviest of armor, and even then, it is a major threat to them.

Iona Immarya said:
The second, and main, weapon of the Aegis is its Rail Cannon, the large cannon pacts a massive punch able to destroy, or mission kill, most enemy vehicles with a single shot if under ideal conditions [And not piloted by a PC]. The Rail Cannon fires at hypervelocity speeds making it incredibly accurate as there is very little, if any, shot displacement or drop. The weapon is very potent.. as is its draw.

It's clear that this should be a high-powered weapon designed to defeat many armored vehicles on the battlefield. With that said, we've got to be pretty careful with this language, because it comes really close to hit-calling, which is forbidden. This also doesn't take into account the characteristics of opposing designs. For example, consider this 1000 meter long behemoth. Just on sheer vehicle size differences alone, this may not cause a lot of damage.

Please tone the language down some.

[member="Gir Quee"] I just edited that, funny enough, to give the straight out ratings.

I did say 'most' and 'under ideal conditions'. I would classify those kind of massive siege monstrosity to fall into the extremes rather then the average. I kinda considered it to be more of... a contractor trying to sell the government into buying their creation for implementation. Using flowery language to describe the perks, and negatives, of their creation. Again, that massive monstrocity would not be covered by the word 'Most'.

EDIT: I edited it anyways because you were against it, but I do want to note that I wasn't endorsing it at insta-killing everything, I purposely put 'most' and 'under ideal conditions' to make it clear this wasn't always the case and, could even, be dependent on luck.

Iona Immarya said:
is incredibly hard to resist for all but the heaviest of armor, and even then, it is a major threat to them.
I'd change the writing here to be more focused on the gun, rather than the enemy's performance against the gun.

For example, something like "is designed to penetrate heavy armor"

Iona Immarya said:
with AI assisted trajectory
AIs are restricted materials here. You could probably just replace this with "computer assisted trajectory".

[member="Gir Quee"] Hmm, okay, edited it to be more gun focused. I'll be sure to focus more on writing in that style for future submissions as well.

I.. did not realize that. I thought restricted materials were pure materials, and I always considered Droids to be AIs so I never really examined it too close, but I can see where people making AI's could grow to be silly (Skynet), so I changed it to computer assisted. I'll double check my other two submitted subs after this to ensure I take the AI out of them if it is there.

Iona Immarya said:
is incredibly hard to resist for all but the heaviest of armor, and even then, it is a major threat to them

This part still needs to be toned down, as it looks like it is dictating damage to the other writer. I recommend using words that suggest, but not dictate its abilities, like "designed to" and "can".

[member="Gir Quee"] Edited. This time should be solid.

Out of curiosity, is the strong stance against anything that even implies such things taken because of fear of people using it to metagame and kick up a fuss in OOC talks about how 'X can't do Y because my Z says this' or is it because this was a large problem in the past that got out of hand?

Iona Immarya said:
Out of curiosity, is the strong stance against anything that even implies such things taken because of fear of people using it to metagame and kick up a fuss in OOC talks about how 'X can't do Y because my Z says this' or is it because this was a large problem in the past that got out of hand?
Yes. Just something to keep in mind when you make your future submissions. This looks good now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom