Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Low friction Iron

Status
Not open for further replies.
134829618.jpg

PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: Hansol Mining Corporation
  • Model: N/A
  • Affiliation: Closed-Market
  • Modularity: No
  • Production: Mass-Produced
  • Material: Iron
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Super-smooth: through the use of very strong magnetic fields, iron is able to have its atoms arranged nearly perfectly in line, making the iron extremely smooth, reducing the friction produced when rubbing against another material
  • Increased speed: because it creates very little friction, the projectile fired from a barrel of it has more of its momentum when exiting the gun
Strengths:
  • nearly no friction: as previously stated, the material is extremely smooth, making it perfect for the barrel of any projectile weapon, increasing the momentum the projectile has by 25%, causing puncture wounds to be 25% larger, and able to damage armor and shields 25% more
  • the reduced friction makes the metal stay very cool, even after continuous fire as the barrel of a gun
Weaknesses :
  • Brittle: because its atoms are not in its natural structure, Low friction iron is extremely brittle, and it is recommended to use it as a thin layer instead of the whole part
  • No Benefits for blasters: because blasters fire lasers which have no friction created by them, blasters, or any laser firing object will receive no benefits from low friction iron

DESCRIPTION
while experimenting with magnetic fields to create a new type of armor, Hansol Mining Corporation's engineers discovered that when submitted to strong magnetic fields, iron's atomic structure would rearrange itself to follow the magnetic fields. Using many small magnetic fields, iron can turn into a perfectly smooth material that creates very little friction with other materials. However, this doesn't work with blasters and lasers, as they are not matter, and thus low friction iron does not affect their performance, in fact, it would just make the object more fragile as it is very brittle.

[member="Galven Hansol"]

Hello there! Thanks for using the factory! We have just a few things to address!

Galven Hansol said:
Image Source: Google search for smooth metal
To make this compliant with other judges, just put this in place of "Google search for smooth metal"
http://advancemedical1.com/shutterstock_89708203-jpg/

Galven Hansol said:
Manufacturer: Hansol Mining Corporation
Could you please Hyperlink your company? Not your Marketplace, your Company Submission, by the way.

Galven Hansol said:
nearly no friction: as previously stated, the material is extremely smooth, making it perfect for the barrel of any projectile weapon
How much is momentum increased, and how much more damage will slugthrowers do while utilizing this?

[member="Galven Hansol"]

Hey Galven, I love your idea, but let me see if i understand it correctly.

This metal is so smooth that it is able to make the barrel of a rifle super smooth to the point it is a "material that is extremely smooth, making it perfect for the barrel of any projectile weapon, increasing the momentum the projectile has by 25%, causing puncture wounds to be 25% larger, and able to damage armor and shields 25% more"?

Which is great, but actually checking up on "Smoothbore"

"Early firearms had smooth barrels that fired projectiles without significant spin.[1] To minimize inaccuracy-inducing tumbling during flight their projectiles required stable shape, such as a sphere. However, the Magnus effect causes even spheres rotating randomly during flight to curve when spinning on any axis not parallel to the direction of travel.[2]

Rifling a barrel with spiral grooves or polygonal rifling imparts a stabilizing gyroscopic spin to a projectile that prevents tumbling in flight. Not only does this more than counter Magnus-induced drift, but it allows a longer, heavier round to be fired from the same caliber barrel, increasing both range and power."

Seems that the spiral grooves within a barrel actually is what helps stabilize that gyroscopic spin, increasing the range and power.

What are your goals for this submission? Let's see what we can do to come up with something viable together.

[member="Cira"]
I wasn't sure if a slugthrower was the equivalent to a regular gun, because according to the cannon description, it is a "firearm that fired solid projectiles encased in energy", so I was thinking that there wasn't a spin made to it because if it's encased in energy, then it can't be spun by the barrel. But that's what I thought, so I might be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom