Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech LJ-73B

Status
Not open for further replies.
zfoobCB.jpg
tau_weapon_set_by_ciddozzo-d9iwjng.jpg

Image Source: http://ciddozzo.deviantart.com/art/Tau-Weapon-Set-575947132(upper weapon)
Intent: Personal weapon for this character
Development Thread: No
Manufacturer: http://starwarsrp.net/topic/22293-arakyd-industries/
Model: LJ-73B
Affiliation: Mandalorians
Modularity: Yes, rangefinders and interface to different armours/platform systems
Production: Semi Unique (~100 left)
Material: Durasteel and duraplast
Classification: Concussion rifle, smart grenade launcher
Size: Handheld
Length: 950mm
Weight: 9kg
Ammunition Type: Power cell, grenades
Ammunition Capacity: 25 shots, 3 grenades
Effective Range: 350m concussion, 600m grenades
Rate of Fire: 1 per second
Special Features: Integrates with armour subsystems: range finder, HUD, scanners.
Primary Source: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Concussion_rifle

This model of concussion rifle was sold not long before the Gulag plague kicked in. It features two long barels. The upper is part of a concussion rifle, the lower is a 20mm smart grenade launcher that electromagnetically accelerates the round.

It had a reputation for durability and combat effectiveness, but is let down by being on the bulky side and requiring regular maintenance. They found great popularity in the hands of mandalorians, who had no issue with taking great care of their primary weapon. Many found this effective for longer ranges for direct strikes that could penetrate armour and could not be blocked by a lightsaber, whilst also providing excellent suppression capabilities with the blast radius.

The concussion blast will detonate on impact. Longer and heavier than a typical concussion rifle, it fires a more coherent blast with a slightly longer distance than is typical. When the blast is detonated it can potentially damage anything within a 5m radius. Anything struck direction suffers a significant concussive shock that can be lethal.

The smart grenade will detonate at the range set by the rifle. Anywhere from 10m to the the maximum range. The range can be set through the controls in a mandalorian's armour. This is exceptionally useful as other rangefinders on the system, or distances provided by other scanners can be directly fed into the rifle. For example a soldier can detect the range of a group of enemies in cover, set this as the detonation distance and then fire over the enemy to cause them damage or keep them pinned.

On the downside this is a long and bulky weapon. It was often dropped as a squad weapon in favour of more significant ordnance, anti armour, or repeating weaponry. The electromagnetically fired grenade has quick a kick to it.

However it is very durable, so using as a bludgeoning weapon is perfectly viable. Low ammunition per power pack also counts against it. It's a greedy weapon and the power pack can be tricky to replace given the size of the weapon. It's generally
recommended to keep one hand on the barrel grip, wedge against the shoulder and release the grip to change over. More than a few soldiers over the years have dropped the weapon when reloading. Frankly, at his age Davon gets quite tired lugging this thing around, but he's too stubborn to admit it.

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

Davon Karr said:
Effective Range: 300m direct, 900m suppression

Concussion rifles are known for their short optimum range; I see that as a tradeoff for their power and properties of their unique attacks. The Stouker has an optimum range of 30 meters while the generic concussion rifle article on Wookieepedia gives the optimum range as 45 meters. I think that means that we're probably looking at an effective range of less than 100 meters. The max range seems to be 450 meters according to wookieepedia for suppression purposes. I've actually been looking at the source that Wookiee lists for those range numbers, and they do not appear in the concussion rifle entry or its table listing in the book's equipment section. I will get back to you if I can find anything more about that.

Davon Karr said:
The concussion blast will detonate at the range set by the rifle. Anywhere from 10m to the the maximum range.

Since the concussion bursts don't seem to have any physical projectile for something like a timer to attach too, how does this work?

[member="Gir Quee"]

What if I go 150m optimum and 500m max. I'm loathe to restrict something with a 5m blast radius to so low it can barely be used :D

As to question 2, let me think of something clever. You're right the concussion should detonate on an impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom