Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Leo Pattern - 48. Caliber, Dual Purpose Sniper Rifle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
34femmu.jpg

Image Source: Here
Intent: A potent high accuracy fire-arm which enables a small creature to engage much larger foes.
Development Thread: Here
Manufacturer: Orphen Han Sathariel
Model: M19 Leo Pattern - 48. Caliber, Dual Purpose Sniper Rifle.
Affiliation: Galactic Republic / Aurora Industries.
Modularity: No
Production: Minor
Material: Plasteel, Alusteel, Blaster Components, Bi-pod,
Classification: Sniper Rifle / Heavy Repeater
Size: Stationary / light-mounted.
Length: 1 Meter
Weight: 10 Kilograms.
Ammunition Type: Diatium Cell / Blaster Gas Canister.
Ammunition Capacity:
  • Power-cell: capable of charging 1500 shots
  • Gas Canisters: capable of providing gas for 120 shots.
Effective Range: 750 Meters

Rate of Fire:

• Semi-Automatic: 30 r/pm
  • Fully-Automatic: 300 r/pm

Special Features:
  • The Leo, with a switch is able to charge the blaster gas in the canister, rather than as it loads the shots, enabling the semi-auto sniper rifle to toggle between it, and a relatively low rate of fire fully automatic Machine gun. Giving it a substantial amount of versatility, however, in being able to perform both, it does not perform either task as well as dedicated sniper rifles or MG's.
  • The Leo is compatible with external ammunition sources and weapons stations such as the Erebus platform expanding the weapons' ammunition count and power source. Jacking in Via the Leo's Biped for power and blaster gas feed.
  • Shock absorbing stock combined with bi-pod makes this weapons' recoil soft enough to be fired by human children so long as used correctly.
  • Shortened stock with open hand grip, enabling the rifle to be used by a multitude of species.
  • High quality optical zoom.
  • Folds for easy storage.
Description:
The Leo Pattern - 48. Caliber, Dual Purpose Sniper Rifle was the last of the equipment created for Korros, a kushiban who had been having some issues with the local wild-life. Taking it upon himself to take the creature under his wing, equipping him and training him in the use of ballistics so that he would be able to hold his own and train others, enabling the rabbit like creature and those like him to be able to defend themselves. Though, after an encounter with a Coloi, Orphen discovered that there were some things that the small arms which were readily available to the lagomorphs were simply not good enough, and that the market was not providing a high caliber weapon that they would be able to utilize. So... he created this.

The Leo pattern is sleek and simple in design, the philosophy which paralleled the weapon was that Orphen wanted to create a high caliber rifle that a child would be able to use effectively and without injury. Focusing on a light-weight frame and materials as well as streamlining some of the inner workings of the Rifle and implementing systems to reduce recoil, the Leo Pattern - 48. Caliber, Dual Purpose Sniper Rifle was considered a success in this regard. Weighing in at only about three kilograms it can be lifted and carried with ease, bearing a shorter barrel than most other rifles of its class for simplicity's sake, economy of motion paramount within the interior workings of the rifle. The stock uses a spring reinforced gel strip to reduce the personal recoil of the weapon which is only amplified by the use of its built in bi-pod which make firing the weapon a breeze with minimal discomfort.

The bi-pod itself is a special piece of technology, both made for the stability of the weapon and as a jack-in point for mounted weapons platforms, attaching to the weapons' blaster gas canister and power-supply so that external sources are able to provide power and ammunition to the weapon.

The combat capability of the weapon itself is modest, while it lacks the 1.5-2 kilometer effective range of most dedicated slug-throwing sniper rifles, or the 50. cal brute force and rate of fire of most dedicated mounted machine guns, the 48. caliber is more than capable of dealing considerable damage to armored foes, large beasts and light-lighter medium military armor from a safe distance. Though what the weapon lacks, it makes up for in earnest with its ease of handling but even more notably, its accuracy. Due to its nature as a sniper rifle and its exceedingly low recoil, the movement of the barrel is minimal to non existent, even in it's fully automatic state. This enables accurate and controllable streams of fire while the weapon is fully automatic due to the user not needing to worry about the barrel attempting to drag up or down due to the recoil.

RESEARCH REVIEW

Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review

Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review

WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review

WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review

SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

This is a solid weapon concept, though I think there are some minor details for us to work through.

Orphen said:
Free-Floating Barrel promotes a very high accuracy rating for the high powered weapon in both phases of use, making the weapon highly accurate.

Not entirely sure if this is necessary. For real life firearms, free-floating is used in order to ensure the consistency of barrel harmonics as a slug travels down the barrel. I think that the particle beam nature of a blaster weapon will likely make this unnecessary.

Orphen said:
Horizontal muzzle break, shock absorbing stock combined with bi-pod makes this weapons' recoil soft enough to be fired by human children so long as used correctly.

I'm not sure how a muzzle brake would work on a blaster as real-life muzzle brakes vent and direct propellant gases after the bullet exits the barrel.

The good news is that blasters don't have much, if any recoil, to deal with. You can read more about that here. If you've fired a .22 LR before, you know that the recoil is almost negligible except in the smallest of weapons. I think it'd be reasonable to assume that this weapon would have next to no recoil for practical purposes, especially given its size, bi-pod, and shock-absorbing stock.

Orphen said:
Effective Range: 1100 Meters
This is one of the few areas where modern firearms (or Star Wars slugthrowers) have blasters beat. For whatever reason (probably pluming), blasters are significantly shorter ranged. The sniper rifle article on Wookieepedia gives them a max range of 450 meters. This seems to match the GLX Firelance, which is the closest canon equivalent to your weapon that I can think of off the top of my head (that is to say, it has extended range and an automatic fire setting)..

[member="Gir Quee"]

Heya~

I think i made the relevant edits about the muzzle break and the free-floating barrel.

The only thing i have to question would be the range, cos, while i agree that blasters probably would not fire as far as ballistic slug throwers, down to 450 meters seems a little odd... cos the sniper rifle would basically not be overly effective as a sniper rifle at that range... blaster rifles themselves have a range of about 3-400 meters on their own so that would mean there's only a 50m difference between your blaster AK-47 and your blaster Barret 50cal... which seems odd to me, I-unno.

But!

I did reduce the number hopefully cos you're right, it should not be the same as a real sniper rifle. Could i push for 800m though? Putting the increased range from canon down to it being high caliber and that we're 600 years in the future from canon? :)

That's still like...1/2 to 1/3 the range of a normal high caliber sniper rifle.

Orphen said:
[member="Gir Quee"]

The only thing i have to question would be the range, cos, while i agree that blasters probably would not fire as far as ballistic slug throwers, down to 450 meters seems a little odd... cos the sniper rifle would basically not be overly effective as a sniper rifle at that range... blaster rifles themselves have a range of about 3-400 meters on their own so that would mean there's only a 50m difference between your blaster AK-47 and your blaster Barret 50cal... which seems odd to me, I-unno.
Average blaster rifles typically have a range of 300 meters, such as the A280 used by the Alliance at Hoth or the infamous E-11 used by stormtroopers.

There are weapons that appear to be the equivalent of the modern DMR (designated marksman rifle), such as the Sharpshooter V that have a range of 350 meters.

So on average, we're talking about a 50% increase in range with a "sniper" blaster compared to a typical blaster rifle.

Orphen said:
I did reduce the number hopefully cos you're right, it should not be the same as a real sniper rifle. Could i push for 800m though? Putting the increased range from canon down to it being high caliber and that we're 600 years in the future from canon?

Since you're referencing the .50 BMG (Browning Machine Gun), it did cause me to take a second glance at the star wars's equivalent of a heavy machine gun, the E-WEB, which has a range of 750 meters.

The big catch is that an E-Web is a vastly larger weapon than the current leo pattern. It weighs ten times as much as the leo.

Based on that, I would be okay with a 750 meter range if the leo is made as a heavier weapon. It doesn't necessarily have to be as large as an E-Web to get that range, but it should have some sort of a drawback that correlates with a smaller size (such as reduced rate of fire, etc).

Dropped it to 750 ~ :)

It is meant to be heavier. It still should not be fired standing up, and it is meant to be mounted to weapons platforms like the one i cited.

Firing a sniper rifle standing up is still a stupid idea xD

Though many sniper rifles barely weigh 3 kilograms. Sure the big 50.cals like the barret weigh like 11 but they don't use gas as ammo and are generally clunky, compared to a weapon which was made to be able to be used by like, Jawa and Kushiban comfortably. The bi-pod would be another implied 1-2 kilos.

but, mmkay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom