Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LDA-I Imperial Laser Diffusion Array

Other Space Kaiden

Better than other-other space Kaiden
ImperialArms%20Incorporated_zpskrknjv0r.png
LDA-I Imperial Laser Diffusion Array
sci_fi_plasma_machine_by_akeronz-d6ey57b.jpg
Basic Information
Production Information
  • Model: LDA-I
  • Affiliation: The Imperial Remnant
  • Modularity: None
  • Production: Minor
  • Material: Circuits, EMP Energy Device (seen above)
Description
The Imperial Laser Diffusion Array is a specialized EMP emitter designed to disrupt the magnetic seal around blaster, laser and plasma rounds in space. Acting in a similar manner to a shield, this device emits a pulse of electromagnetic radiation and energy that interferes with the magnetism which contains standard energy rounds of all types. However, unlike a shield, it cannot be impacted by energy weaponry and thus cannot be burned out through continuous fire. Instead, the energy and radiation is emitted at a stable rate over an expanded area of about 14 kilometers (a modest distance for space combat); causing energy projectiles to destabilize upon making contact and resulting in the energy being violently released much in the same manner as laser flak.​
In tests, it is estimated that about 50 - 75% of energy rounds fired at a target were stopped by the LDA; preventing damage to shields. However, it is was soon discovered that a ship utilizing the LDA cannot utilize shields at the same time. This is for two reasons. Firstly, the EMP emitted from the system is not strong enough to interfere with shields nor is it strong enough to disrupt missile guidance systems. This means that the ship using the LDA must deactivate its shields in order to effectively use the LDA. Secondly, the power requirements to maintain the EMP pulses is so taxing that a ship's systems would overload if shields ere active at the same time as the device.​
The advantage this system has over standard shields, is its ability to screen multiple ships; saving important capital ships from what would be devastating volleys. Ships within a close proximity (1 - 14 kilometers) to the device will be protected; taking generally around 25% of the damage they normally would thanks to round "popping". It is also important to note that the radiation field is not detectable by non-specialized sensors as the EMP generally interferes with most shield and lifeforms sensors; making it near impossible for enemy vessels to get clear shield and hull readings on allied ships within the field while echoing effects plague any allied ships affected by the field (making ships within the fields range unable to read enemy shield and hull statuses).​
However, this device does not discriminate between enemy and friendly fire. All energy rounds, both friendly and enemy, are dissipated by the field. This means that friendly ships close enough to be affected by the field will lose 75% of their energy weapon effectiveness. Energy round "popping" while typically keeping the energy from damaging capital ships, the resulting flak can be deadly to starfighters around the general area of the popped round. Prolonged use of this system can severely hinder critical systems aboard the ship utilizing its services; causing targeting systems to fail, lights to shut down or even life support to halt function. These hazards, however, can be avoided by properly insulating critical systems with EMP shielding, capacitor drains or even dense metals like lead.​
No ship under 800 meters may use this system.​

Other Space Kaiden

[member="Lily Kirsche Kuhn"]

It depends on if the ship has proper insulation from EMP pulses. Critical systems within the ship are encased by EMP/Ion shielding (or other insulation) then the answer would be no.

However, if the ship lacks proper insulation then it would be an outstanding yes. Plus the pulses will always effect the ships own turbo batteries; decreasing its effectiveness by 75% just like all other ships being protected by the field.

Corvinus Palpatine said:
[member="Lily Kirsche Kuhn"]

It depends on if the ship has proper insulation from EMP pulses. Critical systems within the ship are encased by EMP/Ion shielding (or other insulation) then the answer would be no.

However, if the ship lacks proper insulation then it would be an outstanding yes. Plus the pulses will always effect the ships own turbo batteries; decreasing its effectiveness by 75% just like all other ships being protected by the field.
Could you include that in the description for me? It should also be noted that sensors would likely be interfered with while this is in use.

[member="Corvinus Palpatine"]

What exactly is the range of "Instead, the energy and radiation is emitted at a stable rate over an expanded area"

What is the range of "Ships within a close proximity to the device will be protected" and "making ships within the fields range unable to read enemy shield and hull statuses."

The gas dampener is not the same technology as what you are pushing for here.

As of now, this will need major development. This is new technology.

RESEARCH REVIEW

Star Wars Canon:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dampener_aerosol - a gas that came in a can for dispersal. When used, it created a cloud of blaster-dispersing gas that gave concealment for the user and provide some energy absorption protection. Each can had enough gas for three uses. It produced a blue gas that dampened blaster fire to a painful slap instead of a full blast

Arms & Equipment Guide is a sourcebook, chapter 2 , pg 45
ara1.png

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse--- a powerful burst of electromagnetic radiation. It was often used in weaponry designed to suppress technological systems.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Electromagnetic_field- An electromagnetic field was a physical field produced by electrically charged objects. It affected the behavior of charged objects in the vicinity of the field.

Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review

Other Sources
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_radiation

WITHOUT DEV THREADS
- I thought that perhaps weaponizing this would work without a dev thread as a gas-- then I went to the sourcebook and realized this is way beyond the original capabilities of the canon tech. There is no way this sub as it is will even remotely resemble what you are wanting to do based on the current canon tech -- especially since they are different types of tech to begin with.

WITH DEV THREADS

Quality dev thread of 20 posts for the following Option One:
- Redo the tech sub to instead be a weaponized form of gas distribution around the ships. Kinda like a gas mine field of this gas.
- Reduce the range of the gas cloud - instead of one ship giving protection to a small area of ships, this could perhaps work as a ship version of chaff and flare. Providing 1/4 concealment and a 10% reduction in the power of energy hits as stated.
- Sensors should still remain the same both inside and out. The canon tech only states that the cloud gives a 2 by 2 meter area when activated and that it will disperse after a time.

- Remove all references of electromagnetic radiation or EMP emitter that can disrupt any energyweapon.
- Remove all references that radiation field is not detectable by non-specialized sensors as the EMP generally interferes with most shield and lifeforms sensors; making it near impossible for enemy vessels to get clear shield and hull readings on allied ships within the field while echoing effects plague any allied ships affected by the field (making ships within the fields range unable to read enemy shield and hull statuses

OPTION 2

If you want to make this tech as you have it, but still heavily modified and production dropped to limited, because it is new tech that has no canon precedence based on how EMP emitters and that radiation works, I require 80 quality post dev thread for this.

Research and development, testing, refining, and finding out why EMP radiation would react this way.

Even this this will be limited production.

I've found no other resources (unless you can link me) that shows that electromagnetic radiation will react in such a way as you have described.

SUGGESTIONS
See above.

Other Space Kaiden

[member="Cira"]

Thank you for taking the time to do so much extensive research on my submission, at this time however I would like utilize my second chance on this submission just as to get a second opinion on the matter at hand.

Again, thank you Cira.

Under review, Give me an hour or so to look it up.

I need to know several things before I can accurately gauge this.
How long does it take to power on/off
How long does the effect last
and what are the effects on other ships within the fields shields. It goes to reason that if one ship can't have them, the rest can't either.

Other Space Kaiden

[member="Draco Vereen"]

I didn't think of the power up/off time so I'm so glad you brought it up so I could add it to the sub.

I imagine it'd take a fairly decent amount of time, probably upwards of ten minutes or so. Maybe ten and a half.

The effect would last a fairly decent amount of time when compared to the start-up time. I imagine for ten minutes of charge up time you could manage to get at least twenty-minutes of shield time. In fact, we could do this tech on a charge time basis. The longer the charge, the longer the effect?

Well, the reason the ship using the device can't use shields is because the radiation pulses that destabilize the magnetic fields encasing laser rounds aren't strong enough to penetrate/disrupt shields. They can, however, disrupt sensor waves/frequencies and other readouts which means that any ships within the field would have definite trouble with their readouts on multiple (if not all) their sensors.

Alright I am going to present two options for this,

Option One
  • Complete a 15+ Post Dev Thread and make this a unique Item
  • Reduce the range to 3,000 meters and make it go on a 1700+ meter ship (5,000 meters if it were on a Flag Ship)
  • Reduce the power loss to 50%
  • Edit so that this device cannot be used simultaneously alongside any other Countermeasures (E-war, missile disruption, cloaking fields, etc. [this does not include defensive guns])
  • Edit its Sensor Baffling aspect to "Difficult" instead of "nearly impossible"
Option Two
  • Complete a 60 Post Dev Thread for the Above in Limited Production aboard a specific Model of Ship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom