Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laertes Alagos

Status
Not open for further replies.
ravrohan___jedi_shadow_by_ravrohan-d4fjvuv.jpg

Name: Laertes Alagos.
Aliases: The Progenitor, The Guardian, The Ancestral Hero. (Each of these earned posthumously.)
Role: Oldest known ancestor of the Alagos family, a legend among them now. Means different things to the different intended PCs for the Alagos family.
Age: Dead. Age at death unknown, as is year of death. His lightsaber is referred to as ancient, so it was probably a very long time ago.
Species: Human.
Force Sensitive: Yes. Legend ranges from average to being among the most powerful force users of all time. In actuality, slightly above average for his time.
Personality: Laertes was constantly depicted as being a heroic, philosophical figure with a fierce sense of independence. He was a man with a substantial sense of honor and duty. We would see his attitude like that of a samurai. Laertes was entirely self-taught in both his fighting style with his lightsaber and his practices in the force. He rejected any groups of the Sith as being too focused on the self, and any Jedi groups as being too focused on erasing emotion and denying the human condition. Laertes learned the force without fully grasping either philosophy. His staunch belief in being self taught rather than allowing other groups to dictate how you must live became a central value to the Alagos family.
Weapon of Choice: Odyssey, his lightsaber.
Detail of Weapon: Laertes was a young adult in a time when lightsabers were still a concept of science fiction and only the optimistic thought that they would be properly made soon. Nonetheless, Laertes was curious and experimental, and in his free time would try to make one. He certainly wasn't the first to build a lightsaber, but he built one in a time when very few had and little precedent was set for their design. One peculiarity of Laertes's lightsaber was that it could not be turned off. Some say that it was a philosophical gesture, that despite a new design it's still a sword, and to give a weapon such an off switch defeats the purpose of having it. Others think he was just a moron who thought that turning the saber on and off would do damage to the crystal. It's hard to say after so long. Nonetheless, Laertes paid a very high price for a sheath made of Zillo Beast hide to attach to his belt, which would be able to hold the lightsaber and block all sound and light from the weapon. As a positive side effect, the weapon would overcharge itself while kept in the sheath, and when drawn would maintain a much higher power than other lightsabers for a few seconds. Its color is blue, but it's red while inside the sheath and stays that way for a few seconds after being drawn uintil it fades to its natural color. He named the lightsaber Odyssey and it became his most prized possession throughout the rest of his life.
Wealth: Accounts of his wealth are unknown. Some think he had average wealth, some think he was poor but proud and self-sustaining, and some believe him to have been the king of some long-forgotten empire. In reality, average.
Combat Function: Laertes was an excellent combatant. His personal style was mixed in offense and defense with a slight offensive lean. Due to Odyssey's overcharging while inside its sheath, Laertes would attempt to fight extremely aggressively for the first few seconds until this advantage died off. After that, he would fight with a mixed style. He fought to disarm, maim or kill - Often in that order.
Skills: Other than lightsaber dueling.

Confirmed Force Abilities:
  • Basic Telekinesis
  • Alter Damage
  • Precognition
  • Force Valor
  • Battlemind
  • Psychometry
  • Force Throw
  • Force Jump
  • Force Speed
Created:
  • Force Wind - Creating wind via the force.
  • Force Drift - Limited flight/gliding ability, becoming virtually weightless and allowing oneself to be carried by Force Wind.
Rumored Force Abilities:
  • Empathy - False.
  • Flamusfracta - False.
  • Maelstrom - False.
  • Midi-Chlorian Manipulation - False.
  • Phase - False.
  • Protection Bubble - False.
  • Spear of Midnight Black - False.
  • Absorb - True
  • Choke - True.
  • Enlightenment - True.
  • Heal - True.
  • Levitation - True.
  • Lightning - True.
  • Mind Tricks - True.
  • Morichro - True.
  • Saber Barrier - True.
  • Scream - True.
  • Stun - True.
  • Weapon - True.
  • Whirlwind - True.

Notable Possessions: Odyssey.
Other Notes: Laertes died in battle against an unknown force, believed to be doing so in defending his family. However, his last words have rung out through the family's history: "Kill me, you devil! The winds of glory sustain us, and as long as my blade is with me, they will never die!"
Of course, such dying words make it very satisfying for an opposing force to take the lightsaber. Laertes's body was recovered and a small tomb built for him on the planet, and his lightsaber was later re-obtained by the family. There was no time to return it to the tomb as they fled the planet. The family would flee to the planet of Asaiyo, a small, low-population planet closer to the edge of the galaxy and settle there. A planet entirely covered by fields of grain and cotton with a constant wind blowing, the Alagos family settled on the planet and became a culture of farming and peaceful force-practicing.
Intent: Submitting so that I have a ready source of information regarding Laertes, who's a legendary figure in the Alagos bloodline. He's most influential on Eklan, a direct descendant of Laertes who takes Odyssey and embarks on a journey to find Laertes's tomb and return his weapon to him.

[member="Edgy Wind Jedi"]

Please omit all speculative information from all sections. If something about him is rumored, it can be mentioned organically in the description. For Codex submissions, only definitive information is allowable. He can be a mystery character IC, but OOC in the Codex we need to know what the reality is as to prevent GM. Submissions are OOC only, there are no mysteries.

Additionally, please replace the material of the zillo beast hide sheathe with something else - I would recommend terentatek hide, as it has force resistant qualities and is very durable. While I understand what you're going for, I'm having a real difficult time wrapping my head around how such a thing was manufactured when it's not only lightsaber resistant, but pretty close to indestructible. If you wish to use zillo beast hide, you'll need to sub the sheathe through the factory.

[member="Gael bar Ammon"]

May I include some of the rumored/speculated information about him, as long as I also include the truth about it? Example, mentioning that some believe he was poor but humble while others believe he was the king of a long-forgotten empire, but in actuality just had average wealth.

I've been meaning to replace the zillo beast hide with some other material, but didn't know of any. I wanted something which is immune to lightsaber damage, so that it doesn't just burn up from carrying the weapon, and also not damage the weapon in the process like a sheath made of cortosis would. Would terentatek hide actually work?

You don't need a list of rumored abilities at all. Just have the list of actual abilities and anything not in there would be rumored. There seem to be a lot of rumors surrounding Laertes, so with some of them (i.e: the wealth one), please provide the basis for these rumors. Really, just contain any rumors in the description section. Anything else should be definitive, as it's OOC information.

Also, Terentatek hide would not be lightsaber resistant, my fault. I would recommend continuing with the edits suggested and doing what you're doing in the Factory for the sheathe. Once you have an answer from the community and/or FJs, then we can proceed on that account if you want to keep that feature in the Codex sub. In the meanwhile, just continue with the edits I laid out earlier.

[member="Gael bar Ammon"] Should I just put in a separate section for any false rumors about him and mentioning how they came about?

I'll handle the sheath in the Factory thread. My current plan is to have the inside have a lining of Phrik. Seeing how this is a background character who's long dead, would I have to fulfill the quest to be able to use Phrik?

Many generations after Laertes's death, his descendant [member="Eklan Alagos"] takes Odyssey, leaves the family's planet and goes on a journey trying to find Laertes's tomb. Would I have to complete the quest for him to be able to do this? This may prove difficult, as it's core to Eklan's story for him to be able to embark with the weapon.

For the sake of clarity, please keep all rumors, true or false, contained within the description section. You should be able to write a healthy bit about them both true and untrue, and it might give you some room to also include the basis for some rumors (i.e: the wealth rumor).

As far as the sheathe goes, since it is still up in the air, I would recommend changing the specifics of the sheathe to be more vague - just say it's a special sheathe. Once you work out all the details with the Factory and have the sheathe subbed, then we can make the edits to include that in the sub if you want.

For the quest and dev thread, I would think that quest idea would suffice for a dev thread, but that'd be something an FJ would be able to better answer.

[member="Gael bar Ammon"] Is it alright if this NPC is put on hold until there can be a decisive decision regarding the lightsaber in the factory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom