Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Species Kuskuri

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Reaper of Won Shasot
[SIZE=9pt]
predator_fe.jpg
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Source: [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt]Originally from Wired.com[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Name:[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt] Kuskuri[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Designation: [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt]Semi-Sentient[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Homeworld:[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt] Won Shasot[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Language:[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt] Kuskuri communicate through both vocal barking and growling as fell as telepathic ‘feelings’. They have no formally identified language although they are fully capable of communicating to each other and even their handlers.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Average Lifespan:[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt] 80 Standard Years[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Estimated Population: [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt]Planetary[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Average height of adults:[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt] 1 meter[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Average length of adults:[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt] 1.5 meters[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Skin color:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Skin: Shades between white to black[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Stripes (running horizontally across the body in the image): Also black to white, typically the opposite of the tone of their skin, although this is not always the case[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Streaks (running vertically along the body in the image): Shades between blue and red[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Hair color: [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt]Black[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Distinctions:[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt] Sharp claws and incisors, horns growing from their head. Four fingered hind feet, three fingered fore feet. Lack of eyes. Sensory organs below chin.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Breathes:[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt] Type I atmosphere[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Strengths:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Hunters In The Night: Long ago, evolution dictated that the Kuskuri would have no need for eyes. Instead, they rely on a mix of telepathy and echolocation to see. Their sensory organs can feel vibration in the air, including sound waves, which allows them to navigate, regardless of light levels. They can ‘see’ for up to 800 meters.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]The Dreams One Sees: Kuskuri derive their name from the Sith word ‘Kusk’ which means ‘To Dream’. This is due to their high level of telepathy. Able to communicate using telepathy, they also use this ability to induce visions in their prey, lulling them into a false sense of security, or leading them to their deaths, the race is adept at hunting and killing its prey. They’re telepathy can reach up to 100 ft in radius, with declining degrees of accuracy or success the further away from the Kuskuri one is.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Give It To Mikey!: Being carnivorous predators, the Kuskuri have powerful jaws and razor sharp incisors. This combination gives them the ability to bite through some hard materials, such as the plastoid armor of stormtrooper. However, the Kuskuri are incapable of biting through tougher materials that may compose armors such as beskar, phrik or cortosis or even durasteel. On the other hand, if a Kuskuri bites down on your arm or leg, there's a pretty good chance it's broken and shredded after the encounter.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Weaknesses:[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Don’t Push This Button: The Kuskuri’s sensory organs are extremely sensitive. A firm punch could easily injure the creatures, and certainly make them reconsider attacking whoever dealt the blow. A weak spot like that could be exploited further. If they sensory organs were severely damaged, the Kuskuri are left without sight beyond their telepathy, which means they’d be prone to running into walls and stone, etc.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]You Don’t Eat Enough: The Kuskuri are typically very skinny and of a frail build. They are not meant to go head to head in a fight. Throwing a Kuskuri from the third story of a building would likely kill them. For comparison, a human falling from the third story would most likely break some bones, but likely survive, given that they don’t land on their head.[/SIZE]

Danger! Sensory Overload: Due to the expansive range of their 'sight', the Kuskuri interpret a high amount of sensory data in an extremely short period of time. Unfortunately, this can cause problems in area that create a lot of 'background noise'. Although the Kuskuri are trained to ignore most battlefield noises, things such as loud explosions, earthquakes, Force Screams or even extremely loud music can momentarily confuse or stun a Kuskuri, leaving them effectively blind.

[SIZE=9pt]Races:[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt] None[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Diet:[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt] Carnivorous. Vegetables, fruit, etc are not poisonous, but the Kuskuri will not eat them. Things that are poisonous to humans are even more poisonous to Kuskuri.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Communication:[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt] Vocal (growling, barking etc.) and telepathic. Among their own species, their patterns and intonation of growling and barks is its own language. The Kuskuri are able to have complete conversations among each other, however, to any other race, the growls and barks seem completely [/SIZE]unintelligible[SIZE=9pt]. Their range of telepathic communication can range from creating emotions in other Kuskuri, prey, or their own handler as well as creating a telepathic 'noise' whose meaning is interpreted more from intuition than from actual mental translation. The ability to interpret this 'noise' is often unique between the Kuskuri and its handler and potentially their mate simply due to the years and decades spent with each other.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Culture: [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt]Pack behavior, Kuskuri mate for life.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Technology level: [/SIZE][SIZE=9pt]None, animals[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]General behavior:[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt] Extremely loyal to their handlers. To others, wary and hostile. If acclimated to one's presence, can range from wary to protective.Shasoti families tend to have one Kuskuri per family member, although this may not always be the case. Bonds with Kuskuri are for life, if either handler or Kuskuri die, it is unlikely that the dead will be replaced.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]History:[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt] The Kuskuri have been the loyal companions of the Shasoti since time immemorial. Often raised from birth alongside their handlers, they have historically served two purposes. As both hunting and guard dogs. The ancient Shasoti relied on the Kuskuri to assist in hunting down small and large game as well as provide security to their households. [/SIZE]Domesticated[SIZE=9pt] in the ancient times when the Shasoti still had a hunter-gatherer culture, the domestication took [/SIZE]several[SIZE=9pt] generations to perfect. Nonetheless, a high number of Kuskuri still exist in the wild, numbering roughly the same as those in domestication.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Notable Player-Characters:[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt] None[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Intent:[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt] To add another species to Won Shasot, and to create a hunting dog for the Shasoti, the Underground’s Judges, and anyone else who puts in the effort to obtain them.[/SIZE]

Good evening, [member="Dax Fyre"]. I'll be judging this one for you.

I notice that their native planet is currently Under Review - with that in mind, do you want this submission to wait until that is approved, or will you have this judged separately? Regardless, I'll continue the review and put it up for approval or denial on its own merits, whether the planet is approved or not. However, should the planet be denied, I'd ask you to edit it to change their planet of origin.

A telepathy-echolocation mix is honestly amazing. I really rather like the idea - though I assume this means they are connected to the Force, similar to Vornskr and Voxyn? You don't have to answer that, I'm just thinking outloud. That said, with a range of roughly a mile, do you not think that would lead to some form of sensory overload? That's a lot of sensory information to process! You could easily add that in as a weakness, or adjust that.

My only real question: what is the nature of their sentience? When they communicate, is it like a conversation, or more akin to a primal bond, where feelings and intuitions might be shared, but no true communication? That could do with clarifying.

As the history goes, it's a little short: when were they first used as hunter companions? How was this domestication achieved? Do some still exist in the wild? Nothing too hefty, but I'd appreciate a little more expansion on those points.

That all said, this is an excellent submission, and I could see it proving to be used in many interesting and varied ways. Nice work with it!

The Reaper of Won Shasot
Hi [member="Tirdarius"],

Thanks for going over my submission!

I think regarding the planet, I will move along this species and should the planet not be approved (which hopefully won't happen) I'll move it to another planet.

Regarding the sensory information, I was imagining the telepathy more so along the lines of other canon races with natural telepathy, which apparently is linked directly to the Force, so yes like Vorskr! I based the 'roughly a mile' bit on the fact that IRL sharks can smell blood up to a mile away. Rethinking that now, smell isn't exactly the same as echolocation, so I will edit that momentarily...midnight submissions aren't the best idea lol. I will add in a weakness regarding that though, as it is a good idea.

In terms of sentience, among their own time they are capable of having conversations, although to any other race the language is completely unrecognizable. Should I edit this as part of the Designation or Communication?

I will expand on history as well!

Thanks for helping me out with this!

[member="Dax Fyre"]

Looking forward to your edits :)

As far as the telepathy goes, sure, list that note in there under 'Communication'. It would make sense for it to be something only they and their handlers understand, so it could even be used ICly that they might communicate with another and have it register as random telepathic noise, or some such. Be an interesting addition to the sub!

It really is a very good sub, though. Can't wait to see your additions.

The Reaper of Won Shasot
[member="Tirdarius"]

Edits done! Editted the range of their echolocation to the same range of a dolphin, 800 meters or roughly half a mile. I did add one more strength in addition to the weakness, a rather minor one, just to clarify their abilities as carnivorous predators. In addition I clarified under culture that Kuskuri mate for life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom