Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KP-3 "Boram" Anti-Kinetic System

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: To create an effective defense system against extreme ballistic systems.
  • Image Source:
  • Canon Link:
  • Restricted Missions:
  • Primary Source:
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: Kiribian Systems Armory
  • Model: KP-3 Boram
  • Affiliation: Closed-Market
  • Modularity: No
  • Production: Mass-Production
  • Material: Internal Components
SPECIAL FEATURES

Strengths:
  • Artificially reduces the mass of projectiles (including shrapnel) to greatly decrease their force (N).
  • Like other shield systems, the field can be intensified in certain areas for the greater effect of mass reduction.
Weaknesses :
  • Has no effect on directed energy weapons/charges or explosives.
  • As emitters focus the strength of their field in a specific area, other areas may suffer from a penalty to mass reduction effects.
  • Limited to use on vehicles and structures.
  • Openings in the bubble can be created by standard field disruptors.

DESCRIPTION

The Boram anti-kinetic system is a special shielding system designed to reduce damage taken from powerful ballistic systems, like hypervelocity cannons, through mass manipulation. The system is meant to be used in tandem with armor, active protection systems, and shields (specifically, deflector/particle shields) in order to create a more comprehensive defense against modern threats.

Development of Boram began shortly after the rollout of the Casper active protection system, a defensive platform especially made to protect hosts against all ranges of projectiles, though blocking the likes of HVC fire was too much for it to handle. Initial efforts went into simply upscaling Casper to address this shortcoming, but the energy and space demands would force designers to sacrifice weapon systems to accommodate them. Work on that particular system would continue under project Geyser, but the Special Projects Division came up with an innovative and energy efficient solution using a rather ubiquitous piece of gravity manipulation technology: gravitational field disruptors.

By using the specialized disruptor force fields against incoming projectiles, their mass can be artificially reduced to greatly decrease the force of impact against shields and armor, allowing them to last much longer. Additionally, the projectiles would be easier to deflect by active protection systems.

The system consists of a series of field emitters evenly distributed across the exterior of a vehicle or structure. All together, they generate a bubble that overlaps the host's shields and armor. Projectiles passing through the bubble have their mass artificially reduced, though this has no effect on warheads packing high explosives or energy charges.

Hi [member="Arisa Yune"]!

I will be reviewing this submission.

Arisa Yune said:
Image Source: Canon Link: Restricted Missions: Primary Source:
  • Please put N/A for the fields that are not pertinent. Also please link the canon reference you mentioned in the second chance request.

Arisa Yune said:
Production: Mass-Production
  • Given the nature of the submission, I would prefer this be dropped to limited.

Arisa Yune said:
Has no effect on directed energy weapons/charges or explosives.
  • Please clarify what you mean by this.

Arisa Yune said:
All together, they generate a bubble that overlaps the host's shields and armor
  • Does this therefor indicate that the range and reach of this shield does not exceed that of a standard deflector/particle shield?
My only other question is the range of starships this could accommodate. Can this protect everything from an interceptor to a star destroyer? Or does this have size limitations, and/or power limitations prohibiting its' use from one side of the scale or the other?

[member="Jamie Pyne"] Can you archive this, please? The rewrite up I have in mind will result in a substantially different sub than I had in mind when I first posted this. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom