Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship Kinrath-class Dropship

Status
Not open for further replies.
1200px-Hauler_Antakyot_S25.jpg

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION

Intent: To provide a transport-capable dropship for use and sale by EODD
Image Source: No Man’s Sky
Canon Link: N/A
Restricted Missions: N/A
Primary Source: N/A

PRODUCTION INFORMATION

Manufacturer: EODD
Model: Kinrath-class Dropship
Affiliation: Free Worlds Coalition, Metal Lords, Closed-Market
Production: Minor
Material: Durasteel Hull, titanium plating

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

Classification: Dropship
Length: 28m
Width: 20.5m
Height: 7m
Armament: Very High
Defenses: Average
  • Standard deflector shield
  • Chaff deployment system
  • Titanium plating
Squadron Count: Low: 8
Maneuverability Rating: Low
Speed Rating: Average
Hyperdrive Class: N/A
Crew: 4 (Pilot, Copilot, Gunner, Deck Officer)
Passengers: Up to 40 troops OR 30 and two speeder bikes
Consumables: 2 Days

STANDARD FEATURES

Communications Array
Deflector Shield Generator
Ion Engines
Life Support Systems
Navigational Systems
Repulsorlift Engines
Sensor Array
Rear Entry/Exit Ramp
Troop Bay Rappelling Rope System
Can enter atmosphere and land

ADVANCED SYSTEMS

Magnetized landing gear

Strengths:

Armament: The Kinrath-class dropship possesses a large amount of cluster missile launchers, capable of putting heavy fire on a ground area in order to clear a space to land with each salvo having equivalent power to a single concussion missile.

Troop Capacity: At a maximum the ship can carry 40 troops, or 30 with two speeder bikes, quickly into a combat zone.

Weaknesses:

Weapon Directional Limits: All weapons on the ship are mounted forward, and it is unable to fire sideways or towards the rear. In addition, its missile launchers are non-locking, and can only fire in the direction that the ship is facing.

Repulsorlift Engine Vulnerabilities: With an ion engine to propel the ships in space, two repulsorlifts keep it steady while in-atmosphere, but are exposed to ground fire. Taking one out would cause the ship to spin out of control, which could be easy enough to do given their lack of armoring compared to the rest of the ship.

Deployment Point Requirements: Kinrath-class dropships that aren’t stationed on-planet at a base are reliant on a carrier ship for transport across the galaxy as they lack any form of hyperdrive.

Maneuverability: Despite being relatively fast for a dropship, the Kinrath-class lacks much in the way of maneuverability, relying on its shielding, armor, and chaff deployment system to keep it safe from enemy fire as it’s very unlikely to avoid incoming fire by movement.

Rapid troop transport is an important part of ground operations anywhere in the galaxy, and the Kinrath-class dropship is built to facilitate this. With a large troop storage bay it can load a significant amount of soldiers or non-combative passengers, and when needed, some of that space can be swapped out to include room for two speeder bikes to complement its deployed troops. In addition, the large storage space that these ships carry can be used to transport an equivalent amount of aid goods such as food, medicine, and similar necessities for humanitarian purposes.

With eight cluster missile launchers and four light laser cannons to help clear a landing zone, the Kinrath-class is more than capable of providing limited fire support against ground troops. Where it suffers, however, is in its defensive abilities. While possessing a standard deflector shield which would keep it safe from typical blaster fire and light laser cannons, heavier firepower from turbolasers can punch through, and missiles or torpedoes can quickly cripple or destroy units quite easily.

An interesting feature of this unit is its magnetized landing gear. While capable of landing anywhere that a typical dropship can land, the Kinrath-class was designed with EODD droid troops in mind, and as such is capable of locking to metallic surfaces such as roofs or exterior walls of buildings vertically, as well as large ships in space. This can allow for close-in operations by properly equipped organic or droid troops on the exterior of enemy ships to strategically assault critical systems or gun turrets.

[member="Errreembuhr"], this is a little underpowered. You could probably bump up a rating or two if you liked.

Errreembuhr said:
Armament: High Wing-mounted Light Laser Cannons (4x) Cluster Missile Launchers (8x) 4 per launcher
Tell me a bit more about these cluster missiles. How strong are these? And what are they designed to hit?

[member="Gir Quee"] underpowered in what way? As in I could add more weaponry to the submission? My original intent was to use it as a gunship, but I figured there weren't many visual things on the image I could use/interpret as weaponry so I took a few guns off and switched it to a dropship instead.

As for the cluster missiles I used the wiki page for them specifically, so they're relatively low-powered unguided missiles meant for clearing out ground troops or emplacements in preparation for a landing. If it would fix the underpowered situation I could instead have them be homing cluster missiles and use them to target individual locations designated by a gunner?

[member="Errreembuhr"], it's slightly underpowered in terms of ratings (armament, defense, speed, etc). You could probably increase the armament rating by one to "Very High" if you wanted to.

As far as the cluster missiles are concerned, I'd link to that wookiee page in particular. There are a lot of different cluster missiles in existence here on the board that aren't like these relatively low-powered weapons (for example, this one). Traditionally, cluster missiles here at Star Wars Chaos are actually much more powerful than typical warhead launchers (with each individual missile within a cluster being equivalent in power to a normal warhead). For that reason, I'd probably label these as "light cluster missiles", with each salvo of missiles being roughly equivalent to a typical concussion missile.

Even then, I think that this carries a few too many warheads. For an armament rating of "High", a more appropriate number of cluster missile launchers would be "5". If you up the armament rating to "Very High", we could make this 6 cluster warhead launchers.

[member="Gir Quee"] understood! Raised the armament to V. High and fixed it to 6 launchers to fit with that, as well as added a bit in the "Armament" strength to explain that each salvo is power equivalent to a single typical concussion missile. Wasn't aware that they were typically more powerful on Chaos, but now I know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom