Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kinetics [Tech Templates]

Rai Seren

R
I've had three judges look at the same thing three different ways now so I think some clarification would be good.

The general gist of the idea is to modify the portion of technology templates in the resistances section. Currently there is an item listed as kinetics. I've had one judge tell me that blades come under Kinetics. I've had another approve a submittal of mine where I put blades separate. Now I've had one have me make a second line item and split it into Kinetics(Blunt) and Kinetics(Pierce).

Strictly speaking, kinetics would generally only refer to the former. There's also the fact that some things which are good against blunt damage aren't against piercing and vice versa (though some things are good at both).

So why are we lumping the two together and being inconsistent on it? Why don't we do what most Tabletops do and list them as Blunt and Pierce? Seems like people would understand that a lot easier. Not everyone on Chaos has a background that favors the sciences.

Figured I'd put this here instead of in Templates since it's not a board wide think and the factory is technically optional.

Rai Seren

R
[member="Kaine Australis"]
I've been a judge before (Codex), so I know. I'm not mad at them, I just thing it's weird that everyone treats it differently and changing to Blunt and Pierce would be better. I made an armor for this character that is now high against blunt and Pierce when it should only be high against Pierce and average against Blunt, which was only because the judge made me combine the two. Doesn't make sense to me. Sure some things would be good against both, but not all things.

I believe tabletop games made the distinction because it makes things easier. Why can't we?

Again, not mad at the judges, I just see them as two different damage types so they should be separate.

Rai Seren

R
I dunno. There's a huge difference in the damage the two do. Stabbing someone and hitting them with a bat just aren't the same. One is far more lethal than the other (though both can certainly be lethal).

As an example, say I submit something made of chainmail. Chainmail is excellent against stabbing and slashing. It grabs blades and keeps them from pushing through and the slash just clinks off it. But it's not that great against blunt damage. If someone were to hit it with a club it wouldn't break, but it would cause havic on your insides as it doesn't stop the blow at all. This example would work with things like armorweave, too. Or Shell spider silk. Etc.

I know everyone might not see it that way, but felt it was worth bringing up.

Rai Seren

R
Armorweave and she'll spider silk both perform in the same manner as chainmail.

Also, rocket to the chest sounds painful.

Rai Seren

R
I have concerns that you're not getting the point (pun intended). It's not a matter of how they stop it, it's a matter of the fact that they stop it. Shell spider silk and armorweave are good against blades but offer little to no protection from a blunt weapon. That's what I'm getting at. They're two different damage types and not everything is good against both or bad against both so lumping them together doesn't make sense.

Rai Seren

R
Right. Blunt versus Pierce. Your plate stopped it from piercing, but didn't stop the Force of the impact. They are two different things, so at the very least we should be allowed to modify the template in our subs to differentiate between the two. Or the template should be modified to differentiate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom