Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KF-02 "Halberd" Assault Starfighter

Ala Crescent

Director, Special Projects
a6145_Star_Citizen_Cutlass-Black-Base.jpg

Image Source: Star Citizen Cutlass
Affiliation: Closed Market
Manufacturer:[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Lucerne Labs[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt], [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Kiribian Systems Armory[/SIZE]
Model: KF-02 Halberd/Cyclone B Block
Modularity: Avionics and software can be upgraded, can carry variable payloads.
Production: Mass Produced (Minor Production for Kai Variant)
Material: [SIZE=11pt]Neutronium[/SIZE]-Impregnated [SIZE=11pt]Ferrocarbon[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]Frame, Laminate Space Armor Hull, Internal Components

Classification: Bomber/Assault Fighter
Length: 12 meters
Height: 3.5 meters
Width: 6 meters
Armament: 12

[*]
1x Ventral [SIZE=11pt]Bomblet Generator[/SIZE]

[*]
1x Ventral Modular Bomb Bay (8 Concussion Missiles, 4 Proton Torpedoes, 8 Light Proton Bombs, 6 Orbital Mines, 64 Thermal Detonators, or other equivalent)

[*]
1x Nose Mounted [SIZE=11pt]Casper APS Module[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]

Defense: 18

[*]
Standard Shielding

[*]
[SIZE=11pt]Phantom Jammer[/SIZE]

[*]
[SIZE=11pt]Internal Deionizers[/SIZE]

[*]
[SIZE=11pt]Energy Sinks[/SIZE]

[*]
Chaff/Flares (8)

Squadron Count: 12
Special Features:

• Propulsion

4x Ion Drives w/ Electromagnetic Nozzles for 3D Thrust Vectoring

• Repulsorlifts

• Inertial Compensators

• Class 1 Military Hyperdrive

[*]
Avionics/Software

[*]
Miscellaneous

Maneuverability Rating: 6
Speed Rating: 4
Hyperdrive Class: 1.0

Minimum Crew: 0 (Droid Brain)
Optimum Crew: 1
Passengers: 0
Cargo Capacity: 300kg
Consumables: 2 Weeks

Strengths:

+Advanced laser/optical targeting modules and jam resistant communication systems allow the Halberd to operate in congested environments rife with heavy electronic jamming with only a minimal loss to functionality.
+A combination of tough physical defenses and electronic countermeasures make the Halbred a very durable starfighter, even compared to many bombers or assault fighters in its class.

Weaknesses:

- Visibility with the physical canopy is poor, greatly limiting a pilot’s peripheral vision, which can be problematic in instances of close range combat within visual range. It is highly recommended that pilots use their instruments and holographic display for guidance in order to maintain optimal situation awareness.
- All the protective measures and redundancies built into the frame have resulted in a cumbersome starfighter with low maneuverability in comparison to other starfighters of its size. While still speedy and agile enough to avoid fire from capital gun emplacements during anti-ship engagements, the Halberd will struggle in dogfighting scenarios on its own.

Description

The KF-02 Halberd is a single seat heavy starfighter primarily designed for the roles of precision attack bomber and anti-ship assault fighter. Just like the original [SIZE=11pt]Cyclone[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]bomber this refreshed design is derived from, the Halberd uses a combination of tough armor and countermeasures to penetrate enemy defensive envelopes to deliver its payloads.

Conception of the Halberd began as the Kiribian Spacy expressed interest in the Cyclone platform as a much needed replacement for its aging lineup of bombers and assault fighters. KSA then procured a production license from Lucerne Labs in order to create a modified version that would better serve the needs of the Spacy[SIZE=11pt]. [/SIZE]

The underlying compartmentalized frame and propulsions systems remained largely unchanged, though KSA did make a number of improvements to increase survivability. Just like with the chassis of the [SIZE=11pt]Bengal[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]main battle tank, the frame was impregnated with ultra-dispersive neutronium to allow it to better cope with shock from incoming fire, as well to counter vibrations generated from its own weapon systems in order to maintain accuracy. Deionizers and energy sinks were added to protect delicate avionics and internal components from directed energy weapons and power surges as result of electromagnetic pulses or ion blasts.[SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]

As for the outer hull, the homogeneous quadranium armor plates were replaced by lighter Ajax laminate spaced armor that offered a similar level of protection while also decreasing weight to allow the incorporation of other defensive systems. Because of the poor maneuverability of the frame, weapon placement and configuration was altered in order to provide better coverage against opposing starfighters and ballistic attacks during bombing runs. The basic ion cannon turret was replaced by two turreted Vespa 40mm Auto-Rippers, one dorsal mounted and other other ventral mounted behind the bomb bay. The fixed forward launchers were replaced by a nose mounted Casper active protection system and a single ventral bomblet generator. Space saved by the removal of the launchers for the more compact integrated bomblet generator allowed for the inclusion of a Phantom Jammer for electronic attack and protection.

Avionics received several quality of life improvements to increase the situational awareness of the pilot, adding a Merlin panoramic holographic display to compensate for the poor visibility offered by the physical cockpit. The weapon officer station was replaced by a dedicated droid brain in order to automate functions of that role for smoother operations. While the Halberd is intended to be manned, it can be flown in autonomous mode thanks to the droid brain. The control software was upgraded with an installation of Mithril security software to protect against both cyber attacks and physical hijacking or sabotage.

As with their usual product offerings, KSA would go on to produce a Kai variant for the Kiribian military and select allies in addition to a basic version they would offer up for export. The Kai variants sport more secure communication systems and greater modularity that allows Deimos positron cannons to be mounted in place of the auto-rippers and laser cannons, a configuration ideal for anti-ship operations in space.

Development Thread: N/A
Intent: To create an effective bomber and assault fighter.
Who Can Use This: Kiriban Systems Union, Silver Jedi Order, KSA Customers
Primary Source:

Modified from[SIZE=11pt]: [/SIZE]http://starwarsrp.net/topic/83569-cyclone-class-bomber/

First Order Planetary Defense Forces
[member="Ala Crescent"] Okay continuing with things to be changed

Ala Crescent said:
Image Source: Star Citizen
Please cite and link a source for the image please.

Ala Crescent said:
Production: Mass Produced (Minor Production for Kai Variant)
Where is the Kai Varient?

Ala Crescent said:
Length: 12 meters Height: 3.5 meters Width: 6 meters
The dimensions seem a bit small to me for something this heavily armed, please change. maybe look for something bigger?

Ala Crescent said:
Armament: 12 2x Forward Laser Cannons (or 2x Class II Deimos Positron Cannon for Kai Variant) 2x Turreted Vespa 40mm Auto-Ripper (or Class II Deimos Positron Cannon for Kai Variant) Dorsal: 1 Ventral 1 1x Ventral Bomblet Generator 1x Ventral Modular Bomb Bay (8 Concussion Missiles, 4 Proton Torpedoes, 8 Light Proton Bombs, 6 Orbital Mines, 64 Thermal Detonators, or other equivalent) 1x Nose Mounted Casper APS Module
This is an insane amount of weapons for something this small, also the bomb bay on something this size would be too small for this capacity. I suggest going for maybe one or two of the ammo types in there.

Also the
Ala Crescent said:
(or 2x Class II Deimos Positron Cannon for Kai Variant)
Are a minor production quota, now I know you said for the Kai varient, but this needs to be looked at please.

Ala Crescent said:
Maneuverability Rating: 6 Speed Rating: 4
Again insanely fast for something with Neutronium on it as Neutronium is very very heavy. So add more to it like 8-11 and speed up to 7-10

Ala Crescent said:
Strengths: +Advanced laser/optical targeting modules and jam resistant communication systems allow the Halberd to operate in congested environments rife with heavy electronic jamming with only a minimal loss to functionality. +A combination of tough physical defenses and electronic countermeasures make the Halbred a very durable starfighter, even compared to many bombers or assault fighters in its class. Weaknesses: - Visibility with the physical canopy is poor, greatly limiting a pilot’s peripheral vision, which can be problematic in instances of close range combat within visual range. It is highly recommended that pilots use their instruments and holographic display for guidance in order to maintain optimal situation awareness. - All the protective measures and redundancies built into the frame have resulted in a cumbersome starfighter with low maneuverability in comparison to other starfighters of its size. While still speedy and agile enough to avoid fire from capital gun emplacements during anti-ship engagements, the Halberd will struggle in dogfighting scenarios on its own.
These are mainly fluff so get some more solid strengths and weaknesses in there

Maybe for a weakness since it has a droid brain have it susceptible to ion strikes.

Also with the Droid brain only basic commands could be given to it.

Another could be since it is multirole, have it do it's job but not as effective as a specialize craft

Strengths could be Mulitrole, able to hold it's own for a time unlike specialize bomber craft.

Heavy armor, with it's neutronium hull it can take a beating and come back for more.

Ala Crescent

[member="Garett Van"] Hello there, it seems like you're looking at this as a wholly new sub, so first I'd like to point out that this is a modification on a previous approved submission, the cyclone bomber. All I did here was swap out some features for their equivalents within the confines of the dimensions and stats previously established. Sections like strengths/weaknesses are a rewrite of original points that also reflect some of the changes brought with new features and components.

For other specific concerns:

Garett Van said:
Where is the Kai Varient?

Since the basic and kai variant are so similar, I just list the extra feature sets within the sub to keep everything organized. I've followed the same template with previous submissions with no issue.

http://starwarsrp.net/topic/103245-kf-01-fencer-droid-starfighter/
http://starwarsrp.net/topic/103330-kv-1-bengal-main-battle-tank/#entry1492049
http://starwarsrp.net/topic/101307-klg-1-vespa-40mm-auto-ripper/

Garett Van said:
These are mainly fluff so get some more solid strengths and weaknesses in there

I disagree with your assessment. Having a craft able to operate in environments with heavy interference is a clear advantage, because jamming can have a significant effect on the course of a battle, and I've seen this play out multiple times in the wild during PvP events. At a defense rating of 18, the Cyclone/Halberd is considerably tougher than many other starfighters, and even other bombers and assault fighters.

On the flip side, all the armor and the the frame design make a bulky fighter with poor visibility, which is a huge detriment in dog-fighting scenarios. In a one on one engagement with a dedicated interceptor like my Fencer, a Halberd would lose out most of the time.

Again, several of these points are just rewrites of what was posted in the previous submission, and they were accepted.

Garett Van said:
Strengths could be Mulitrole, able to hold it's own for a time unlike specialize bomber craft.

It's not a multi-role fighter. It has a specific niche as bomber/assault fighter like a Y-wing or B-wing. Only thing that really changes is what it's carrying in its bomb bay for the mission. A multi-role fighter would look something like an X-Wing or a TIE Hunter, because they have the right balance of defense, speed, and armaments to effectively engage most enemy ship types while not excelling in any particular area. It can do other things, but it would not be good at carrying out those roles outside of its intended specialization.

Heavy armor, with it's neutronium hull it can take a beating and come back for more.
This is basically what I said in my second point, but it's not only the armor that helps with defense, but also defensive measures electronic warfare suite and active protective system. This is all detailed in the description section.

Ala Crescent said:
that this is a modification on a previous approved submission
The cyclone is not your submission, this is not a modification of the original submission, this is an entirely new submission. You are not creating an unique one-off variation for your character's personal use, you are creating a mass-produced fighter which fields equipment made and affiliated with your manufacturer. Your submission is held to the standards of the factory, not the "stats" of a starfighter which already included development - development which your submission did and does not.

Your submission will not be approved as-is without the accepted changes noted by your factory judge, or a drop in production and/or added development.

Ala Crescent said:
I disagree with your assessment. Having a craft able to operate in environments with heavy interference is a clear advantage, because jamming can have a significant effect on the course of a battle, and I've seen this play out multiple times in the wild during PvP events. At a defense rating of 18, the Cyclone/Halberd is considerably tougher than many other starfighters, and even other bombers and assault fighters.
If you disagree with the assessment of your factory judge please make a post in the Second Chance thread, do not debate with your judge.

Ala Crescent said:
Again, several of these points are just rewrites of what was posted in the previous submission, and they were accepted.
They were, again, accepted with development and far less special features than what your submission provides. If you disagree with the assessment of your factory judge, again, please request a second chance.

Ala Crescent

[member="Braith Achlys"] Hello there,

Braith Achlys said:
The cyclone is not your submission, this is not a modification of the original submission, this is an entirely new submission. You are not creating an unique one-off variation for your character's personal use, you are creating a mass-produced fighter which fields equipment made and affiliated with your manufacturer. Your submission is held to the standards of the factory, not the "stats" of a starfighter which already included development - development which your submission did and does not. Your submission will not be approved as-is without the accepted changes noted by your factory judge, or a drop in production and/or added development.

​Fair enough, would you be satisfied if I dropped this to limited, then I do some additional dev to bump up the production level later? If not, then I can just rework the stats to keep it at mass production. The Judge mentioned something about the stats, dimensions, and squadron count being off, but aside from the higher than average defense rating (balanced by a reduction in maneuverability), it's pretty much in line with vanilla bomber example provided here. Are these references no longer valid?

Braith Achlys said:
If you disagree with the assessment of your factory judge please make a post in the Second Chance thread, do not debate with your judge.

I'm not trying to be argumentative with the Judge, but you are allowed to voice your disagreements during the judging process as you try working with them. I didn't just say no, but tried to explain my reasoning. To summarized those points:

Strengths
+Maintains a high degree of weapon accuracy and comm functionality in under jamming conditions
+is tougher than most fighters in its class because of thick armor + countermeasures.

​Weaknesses
-Poor maneuverability + low speed/not a good dogfighter
-Poor cockpit visibility

All I was telling the Judge was that the examples he offered were either just a rewording of a point I made, or that they conflicted with the intent and description of the submission. Just about every component used is a basic canon item or a mass produced factory item that has already gone through balancing, so I'm not sure why being detailed is being held against me here. I really don't know what else to put. It's a bomber/assault fighter with high survivability that's good at taking out big things or slow moving targets, but bad at dogfighting and interdiction. Is that not enough?

Ala Crescent said:
Armament: 12

[*]
1x Ventral [SIZE=11pt]Bomblet Generator[/SIZE]

[*]
1x Ventral Modular Bomb Bay (8 Concussion Missiles, 4 Proton Torpedoes, 8 Light Proton Bombs, 6 Orbital Mines, 64 Thermal Detonators, or other equivalent)

[*]
1x Nose Mounted [SIZE=11pt]Casper APS Module[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] [/SIZE]
Armament: Rating 12
2 Laser Cannons
2 Proton torpedo launchers (4 each)
2 Concussion missile launchers (4 each)
Proton bomb bay (2 bombs)
What you have here:
  • 4 Laser cannons
  • 1 Bomblet Generator
  • 1 Bomb bay with 8 concussion missiles (which is essentially 2 concussion missile launchers with 4 each), 4 proton torpedos (equivalent to 1 proton torpedo launcher with 4 each), 6 orbital mines (or 3 proton bomb bays, 2 each), and 64 thermal detonators.
Count for count, if you're trying to argue that you're making a carboncopy of our example, you have:
4 laser cannons to 2
2 concussion missile launchers with 4 each equivalent in your bomb bay
1 proton torpedo launcher with 4 each equivalent in your bomb bay
3 proton bomb bays with 2 each equivalent in your bomb bay
and then you have 64 thermal detonators.

As 2 laser cannons count as 1 heavy ordnance/missile, you have the Laser cannons, concussion missiles, and proton torpedo launcher counts covered with a 1:1 ratio. The moment we look at the rest of your armaments, however, you surge over what is considered "above average" or "12" in our armament rating: 3:1 ratio of mines/bombs (as compared to standard 1 proton bomb bay with 2 each) and an additional 64 thermal detonators.

Your armament rating should be at the very least a 14, not 12. If your ship was a corvette and 50 meters longer, you'd have good reason to consider your ship as lightly armed as you currently do - but you do not match our example that we have listed in our template at all.

Ala Crescent said:
higher than average defense rating (balanced by a reduction in maneuverability)
Your maneuverability rating is 1 point slower than what is normal, having 18 defense is not at all balanced by this.

Ala Crescent said:
it's pretty much in line with vanilla bomber example provided here.
As noted and explained above, no it is not.

Ala Crescent said:
Are these references no longer valid?
Yes, they are valid so long as you are following the template. Adding more weapons will always increase your armament rating. There is no way around this.

Ala Crescent said:
I didn't just say no, but tried to explain my reasoning

Ala Crescent said:
It isn't what you say, it's how you say it.

Discussing what is in your submission and explaining that something is being misunderstood is one thing, arguing that you are correct and they are not is an entirely different matter.

Ala Crescent said:
All I was telling the Judge was that the examples he offered were either just a rewording of a point I made
Sometimes the wording of a strength or a weakness needs to be changed because the current way it is written it might not appear to be stated as a definite weakness.

Ala Crescent said:
Just about every component used is a basic canon item or a mass produced factory item that has already gone through balancing, so I'm not sure why being detailed is being held against me here.
Being detailed is fine, but we need weaknesses which will have to be used in an RP scenario in fleeting and PvP. Poor maneuverability & speed will need to be slower than just 1 point off if you're going to balance defense and armaments that have been increased with additional special features. An 18 defense rating is not going to be balanced by an decrease in maneuverability from 5 to 6, for example. 5 to 7 or 8, sure.

Ala Crescent said:
It's a bomber/assault fighter with high survivability that's good at taking out big things or slow moving targets, but bad at dogfighting and interdiction. Is that not enough?

Ala Crescent said:
Speed Rating: 4
Your fighter is 1 step short of being as fast as the average X-wing starfighter, it is not slow. The judge is trying to point out that you are labeling these things as weaknesses but they are not as much as a detriment (because your speed & maneuverability are only slightly slower than average) as your strengths and weaknesses paint this to appear.

The other submission, which you are citing, also has 23 posts of development to back it up. You have 0.

So you can either give us 30 posts of development to keep everything as-is at minor production, or you can start reducing your defense and special features to be more on-par with the primary source of this submission.

<p>Moved to Factory Archives - If you want to remove from the archives, please feel free to tag Raziel, Braith Achlys, or Cira.</p>

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom