Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keystone Crystal

Status
Not open for further replies.

sph2cjc_photorealistic_close_up_of_a_blue-violet_coloured_tiny__1f44b117-a66e-4421-8d79-a4a183199d6d.png

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION

PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: Fragment of an artifact created on Kordoku
  • Affiliation: Annika Starfire
  • Market Status: Closed-Market
  • Model: n/a
  • Modularity: no
  • Production: Semi-Unique
    • If there is one shattered shard there might be more
  • Material: Crystal
PHYSICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Classification: Gemstone
  • Weight: Average
  • Color: Blueviolet
  • Resistances:
    • Energy: Extreme
    • Kinetic:Average
    • Lightsabers: Average
    • Sonic: Low
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • A fragment of an old and powerful item that allowed the opening of portals through both time and space. This item is diminished in its power only allowing portals through space since it was chipped off of the whole.
  • Elegant crystalline structure allows it to be used as a focusing crystal for energy weapons such as lightsabers.
  • The crystal has a strange almost ultraviolet glow due to its effects on spacetime, this is almost invisible in most circumstances but is enhanced when used as a saber crystal leading to a deep purple blade.
  • A correctly attuned person can use the crystal by manipulating it in the air to open a portal to another place. The portal typically appears as a very dark swirling vortex where the opposite location can be seen in very vague detail.
    dg95adj-a2d79dba-9769-44ad-943b-a608deda1ed7_1.png

This takes a few seconds and requires both force sensitivity and practice. The portal automatically closes after around thirty seconds but will remain open if the bearer is in transit. Allowing the bearer to extend body parts through the portal.
  • The portal behaves quite similarly to the fold space power.
  • As a relative of kyber it exhibits many of the same properties
STRENGTHS
  • Resistant to energy damage, instead acting as a focusing lense
  • Can be used to open a portal across space that a human sized creature can utilise
  • The elegant structure of the crystal forms a good quality blade with good characteristics.
WEAKNESSES
  • Signficantly weaker than full Key, preventing its use for time travel
  • The portal takes a few moments of fairly unsubtle hand gesture to open and is a large and obvious doorway. This makes its use in combat or pressurised tactical situations quite situational.
  • In an area of force nullification, the crystal loses its portal ability and much of its glow. The physical structure is unchanged though so can still be used as a lightsaber crystal
  • Space distortions and the single broken face tend to make a lightsaber blade a little smokey.
DESCRIPTION
The crystal shard was found by Annika in what she thought was a tourist trap shop of curiosity on Coruscant owned by an old woman pretending to be a witch.

Turns out it was less pretend than she thought and Annika was drawn to this crystal purchasing it with the help from a new friend and leaving.

A while later her master helped her build a lightsaber crystal with it, thinking it a mere kyber shard and it performed well as such a tool. But then Annika began to attune further to it and realised its full potential. Vastly less powerful than the whole key, its ability to open portals discovered by Annika provides her with a useful tactical option.

Annika Starfire Annika Starfire

So, I do absolutely love seeing the lightsaber crystals people sub, and the ingenuity and creativity they bring into trying to put their own spin on the crystal.

However, that can sometimes lead us to a problem such as the one we're running into here with this submission. It's a completely new force power.

I do understand that the effect of the power is similar to Fold Space, but the capabilities described are different. Fold Space "allowed a Force-user to bend space to instantly transport an object between places." (Quote taken from the wookie article). This is more akin to instant transmission. A portal has completely different abilities as it's in effect a doorway between places that allows you to transmit things both ways. As you suggest in the submission, the crystal would allow them to extend only a limb through the portal. This is why I'm classing this as a new force power, which is something we don't allow in the Factory or Codex.

I am also not aware of any canon examples of a lightsaber crystal granting such a powerful ability, as far as I'm aware they generally boost your power without providing a power that very few Masters were able to use. For my own edification, do you have any canon examples of a power like this being provided by a lightsaber crystal?

Instead of denying the submission though I wanted to give you the opportunity to change it and to change the power of the crystals.

Please tag me here when you're ready for me to take another look at the submission or if you have any ideas you wish to discuss.

For my own edification, do you have any canon examples of a power like this being provided by a lightsaber crystal?

Thanks for looking at this, I will have a better look at it later as I am at family bit wanted to pop this here.

The canon item I am basing this off of is called The Key and it is a crystal that allows the opening of two way instant portals through both space and time that can be reached through in this method. I have broken it into a shard as a reason that it does not do time (as space portals is enough power without time travel).

Later in the episode, Rey manages to imbue a cluster of kyber crystals with this exact same power in order to recreate the key when palpatine captures the original.

John Locke John Locke

So, I've had a think and before I make changes I wanted to check which would be acceptable out of the two options.

1. Remove all mention of it being a lightsaber crystal and just treat it as a weaker version of the canon artifact above. Maybe a pendant or something. It being a lightsaber crystal too was just a flavour thing.

2. Make it just a lightsaber crystal and remove the portal stuff so she has a crystal. And then just link the Key in her gear as a replica Canon item, and self ban myself from time travel.

Thanks

Annika Starfire Annika Starfire

There are a few things I'd like to check before we move forward.

1) The link you provided just speaks about travelling through time, not space. "The key was capable of allowing its users to travel through time." Where did you see the travel through space element?

2) The wookie article very specifically states that "The key appeared in the 2020 non-canon short Disney+ film The LEGO Star Wars Holiday Special." As such neither the Key nor the powers it possesses are treated as canon.

Is it the teleportation element you're after, or the use of portals as a medium?

John Locke John Locke

Hey, i missed the non-canon proviso so that is a spanner in the works haha.

As to your other point the wiki only mentions time but in its use they use the portals to travel to different points in time on dagobah, fighting on tatooine before porting to the death star, kylo ren's throne room, korkuko etc. as far as I can remember. So they are moving back in forth in time to points thousands of light years apart to travel through space is pictured if not mentioned.

It is the cool portal medium that I am after, I've tried it before but then I saw the lego special and though this looks fun and fits with the character art I am using for the Sith. It's flavour, rather than power, if that makes sense. But teleportation is very useful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom