Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech IW-001 Groundshaker Missile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isamu Baelor

Protector of The Iron Realm
Concussionmissile_NEGWT.jpg

Out of Character Information:
Production Information:
  • Manufacturer: The One Sith
  • Model: IW-001
  • Affiliation: The One Sith
  • Modularity: None.
  • Production: Mass-produced.
  • Material: Durasteel.
Technical Specifications:
  • Classification: Missile.
  • Size: Starfighter-scale.
  • Length: N/A
  • Weight: N/A
  • Ammunition Type: N/A
  • Ammunition Capacity: N/A
  • Effective Range: 20 metres
  • Firing Range: 1.5 km
  • Rate of Fire: N/A
  • Special Features:
    Plasma Jet: The tip of the missile is not an explosive, but rather a high-powered plasma jet.
  • Power Source: The plasma jet is powered by a standard power source, located in the center of the missile.
  • Thrusters: The missile is propelled by standard missile propulsion
  • Baradium Charge: Located in the heart of the missile, these charges disintegrate matter.

[*]Description: The IW-001 Groundshaker Missile is an area-of-effect, and area-of-denial, missile utilized by the One Sith. They are intended to be used by numerous vehicles in the One Sith war machine, including the Lohengrin, and Tannhauser artillery units. Though, it is not exclusively limited to those two machines. The Groundshaker Missiles are fired from missile launchers, and utilize standard propulsion systems to reach their target. As the missile enters it's downward arc, the plasma jet starts firing. The missile then bores it's way into the ground, and detonates. When the baradium charge detonates, the disintegration effect causes the ground in a twenty meter radius to collapse in on itself. Any troops, or armour, in the effected area will be swallowed into the ground.
Primary Source: N/A

ADM. Reshmar

Directorate Officer Fleet Admiral SJC 3rd Fleet
RESEARCH REVIEW

Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review

Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review

WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review

WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review

SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

ADM. Reshmar

[member="Isamu Baelor"]

So I have a few issues with this missile but I am sure we can work it out.

Firstly The range of this would have to be considerably less then a normal warhead. the drag this thing would have would slow it down alot. Which works to keep it from cracking the drill head on impact but would decrease the range.

Give it half the range of a normal warhead.

Secondly the effective range of the blast is a bit much. It is 4 meters long and the drill most likely needs at lease 1 meter of that for its power and systems and the driil itself.

Make the blast radius 20 meters or do 20 posts of development to keep it at 50 meters

ADM. Reshmar

[member="Isamu Baelor"]

Isamu Baelor said:
What would the range of a normal warhead be? Number wise?

That is a question for the ages. I have always done 2km for normal vehicle and fighter scale missiles. That may be a bit low but not alot. SW missile and torpedo ranges are very low So make it 1.5km

ADM. Reshmar

[member="Isamu Baelor"] SO I went digging and found out that the optimal range of a concussion missile is 260 meters with a max of 750 meters per wiki.

Now that is a bit low but not far off. Missiles in Star Wars are generally short ranged. I will say 1,500 meters would be tops.

Isamu Baelor said:
They are intended to be used by numerous vehicles in the One Sith war machine, including the Lohengrin, and Tannhauser artillery units. Though, it is not exclusively limited to those two machines.
The listed machines have no means of launching a 4 meter missile unless you modify them. They are 155mm cannons and star fighter scale missile launchers. I suggest making an independent launcher that can be attached to these machines in place of one of the cannons or submit a modified verson of one of these walkers that can support and fire 4 meter long missiles.

Also upon discussion. The plausibility of this is not sound. The drill would not stand up to the impact of the projectile upon hitting anything solid. It would have to be spinning way too fast and made of something very very hard. Or have some way of slowing it where it can land without damaging the drill or setting off the explosive then start drilling. Firing it then expecting it to drill at full velocity is expecting way too much from it. A plasma jet may be a better option. have it start firing as it makes its downward arc. Also with a plasma jet I could see the range being extended to 3,000 meters if fired from a launher made specifically for it.

as for the effect. an explosive would force everything out away from the explosive and it would not really have the desired effect. Something like a Baradium charge that works like a thermal detonator and disintegrates the matter could cause the sink hole like effect you are wanting.

Isamu Baelor

Protector of The Iron Realm
[member="Reshmar"]

I've:
  • Lowered range to 1.5km
  • Replaced drill with plasma jet
  • Replaced explosive with baradium charge
  • Lowered missile size to starfighter-size
My goal is for this to be alternate ammunition for the Lohengrin/Tannhauser. So they can either use explosive missiles, or area-of-denial missiles. To that end, I've lowered the size of the missiles. I've been having some trouble finding exact measurements, so I've listed it as "Starfighter-size" in the size field. If you've got a suggestion for size, number wise, I'd appreciate it. If this size change also necessitates more changes, I will make the edits accordingly.

Obviously I got a number of things wrong with this sub, so I wanna say thanks for taking the time to offer me suggestions to get it up to snuff. It's appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom