Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private It's Been So Long

The Admiralty
Codex Judge
KUAT
PALACE OF THE QUEEN

IVI IVI
Once upon a time the Queen of Kuat resided in this palace.

It wasn't to Arage's taste.

Or hadn't been, rather, but with a new administration came new design choices. Strict lines, no decoration but increased fortification. The Palace turned from a resident symbol of power to a military structure over the next few months. Julius ruled from a different place, but that had made sense. He tried to cut Kuat's ties with the royalty quite... forcefully. Arage was a different sort of creature.

Pragmatic.

She saw the use of utilizing old symbols to entrench herself in power.

So perhaps it shouldn't surprise anyone that three months in "the people" started clamoring for a new Queen. Especially not to IVI since Arage had been quite transparent, she wouldn't be satisfied with a temporary regency role. Arage Bao was a populist at heart. Giving the people what they wanted? Well, that was the easiest thing in the world... when they wanted her. She was seen as a stabilizing figure. Someone fair and just after a long period of chaotic turmoil. Her coronation had been swift and the progress of bringing the two worlds closer together was under way.

This is where IVI would find her.

Inside a militarized palace.
Wearing a crown.
Refusing to wear a gown, however.

And with the trademark scowl perching on her face as Queen Bao attempted to make sense of the current reports flowing in from her spymaster.

It had been a long time since M travelled from Coruscant. A long time since a situation demanded it.

Holocommuniques served a purpose to a point. Directives, briefings, general updates — but truly understanding the impact on a nation as complex and unique as Kuat required an in-person visit.

Everything was orderly, subtle, and on a need-to-know basis. Arage Bao Arage Bao was notified in a timely manner (not too early, not too late) that M was interested in the status of her investment, and the time for instituting a more formal reign was nigh.

M's agents, of course, arrived long before the Director set foot on Kuat. Reports streamlined in on general observations of Kuat. The people's consensus, production's continuum, Imperialistic supporters, and any actions that had been observed against any further rebellions.

All in all, M was satisfied with the orderliness and efficiency of the Humbarine Admiral.

And, truth be told, she liked her décor as well.

Ahead of the chiss, one of Arage's aids announced the Director's arrival, and the door flashed open.

"Highness," M greeted with a polite bend at the waist. Once straightened, she made an obvious appraisal of the room. "I like what you've done with the place."

The place, the palace, the planet. A subtle compliment of the highest order.

The Admiralty
Codex Judge
IVI IVI

Her expression darkened at 'Highness'.

"I hate that title." Arage murmured in a clipped tone, but did nothing to correct M. Because there was nothing to correct. On Humbarine she remained the Lord Admiral, but they weren't on Humbarine now. Most of her time was now spent on Kuat. The former was working like clockwork. A beautiful refined machine that Bao created and shaped for decades.

It could tick on without her for a few months.

Kuat?

Was a gorram mess. How many times did she curse herself for taking on this duty? This dish to serve her own hunger?

All these emotions flared over her expression for less than a moment. But for someone like M? Studious, sharp and supreme in her ability to quickly judge and categorize people? It would be laid out neatly. Then again, Arage knew this. Would she relax even an inch around the Director if it didn't serve her purpose somehow?

"But thank you. I have done what I can with the mess left to us by the Lord Regent." A sigh there as Arage leaned back and studied M. "Please, sit. Would you like something to drink or eat?"

"There is much to do still."

M was still somewhat of a mystery to her. How did a creature like her, clearly focused on efficiency and results, be promoted so far in the hulking federalist body of the Alliance?

"Are you satisfied with your investment, Director?"

M's simper was knowing. “Shame. You wear it well.”

In Arage Bao Arage Bao 's case, the benefits of her rule outweighed the cons, like titles and aesthetics. Her power had consolidated and multiplied within an hour. And with power came great responsibility.

Humbarine's efficiencies came from years of institutional instruction well established systematic influence. Kuat had been in a state of discord when The Admiral stepped in, and while the opportunity to test the scalability of Humbarine might have seemed appetizing, it appeared to be more work than anticipated. Or so said the lines at the corner of Arage's eyes and mouth when they tightened.

She obliged the hospitality and took a seat across from Arage. How strange it was to be the guest.

“Blue milk would be fine, thank you.”

M’s vices were in information, not substances.

“I’ve read through the reports issued on the progress, of course, and even this brief visit has been eye-opening. But nothing is quite as telling as your own opinion.

Are there accomplishments you’re feeling most proud of?”

The Admiralty
Codex Judge
IVI IVI

"Flattery." Her own expression bended to a smirk. "...gets you everywhere."

The blue milk was brought in rather quickly and poured. Two glasses, one bottle, and Arage took the first sip. It was only common courtesy to showcase there was no poison in the mix.

Oh, it made little sense for Arage to try and poison M, but the lives these two women lived?

It would be impolite not to expect or suspect.

"Mm, things have been more challenging than expected." This matched up with M's internal assessment. There was little sense in lying about it or try to play things down. It had been difficult, but that part Arage relished. If it had been too easy? Well, Arage wouldn't have grown bored, because that was a signature of an undisciplined mind, but she would certainly have been disappointed.

"But we managed to salvage about a quarter of the orbital shipyards. If the Humbarine Navy had come in sooner, we would have been able to save more, but... no sense to dwell on missed opportunities." A little shrug there. "I used your people to much success in rooting out the remaining wrong Imperial sympathizers."

After all, Arage was an Imperialist herself, was she not?

However, it was one thing to be someone who enjoyed efficiency and believed in a centralized power structure. It was a whole other thing to try and secede.

This Arage could not abide.

"And now... well, now the hard part begins. How to unfork the hellfire unleashed on the Kuati economy and industry. The people have been happy enough with my efforts to bring stability... but now? They wish for prosperity."

It was clear that the Lord Admiral or Queen was enjoying herself. Her eyes gleamed, her hands cut through the air as she spoke. Far more lively than just a moment ago. And it was even more clear... she already had ideas on economy, on the matters of state... and how exactly to bring this prosperity... and yet?

The hints of what M heard herself already through the grapevine?

It could be considered troubling... to the wrong ears.

Any losses of the shipyard were disappointing but neither unforeseen nor unexpected. The nuisances of the then-Imperial Order had made a mess of things for sure. Further, it was good news that Arage Bao Arage Bao 's people were playing well with M's own alliance personnel. That had been part of the stipulation. Exercise The Alliance's hand in accordance with Humabrine's as both a show of good faith and mutual trust and endorsement.

Prosperity was an exhausted word under the reign of Aerarii Tithe Aerarii Tithe — but the pursuit of coin was as tireless as it was predictable.

There had been murmurs of consolidation. Markets pointed to the inevitability of union between sister states, and the implications that might have for the economy.

"And are you a queen of the people?" M asked, taking the blue milk in her hand. It was cool, but no condensation on the glass. She hated when that happened. Made her skin all wet, and generally indicated poor aeration within an office. "I would be surprised to hear you don't have a plan to listen to the people's voices. Especially after we know we've weeded out all those that are not in full support of your oversight."

The Admiralty
Codex Judge
IVI IVI

A wave of her hand.

"I am a Queen for the people." Arage responded smoothly and with a mildly hungry expression. This was what she lived for. To see designs come into place and start ticking away like perfect clockwork. "And while I enjoy surprising you, sadly I cannot do so here, because yes... a plan I have." Pleased and grinning like a Nexu Bao leaned back into her seat.

Only taking a small sip from her own glass to extend the moment.

If only for a fraction.

"I aim to do the same as I did in the Humbarine Reach. Aerarii Tithe was only a symptom of the unending corporate plague infesting this Galaxy." This was as direct and forthright she had ever gotten with anyone.

Perhaps M was the only one Arage could be at least somewhat honest with.

"With him gone... well..." A smile there. "There is nothing stopping me from putting an end to the plague here in the Kuat Sector. I aim to nationalize sector industry and rearrange it into a parastatal organization. Kuat's industry will serve the state... much as the state serves the people." Arage raised her hand as if she already knew the concerns M would have.

"Smaller businesses and mid-sized corporations will be left alone. I have no intentions of disrupting the market entirely. But no longer will mega-corporations be allowed to infest Kuat like lice. Buying up property and infrastructure at bargain prices, bringing in cheap droid labor and dumping their products into the market at unfair prices. Loghain's Folly has ruined much of Kuat's infrastructure. So after I nationalize the industry, I will hire any and all Kuati natives for a good-paying job fixing, repairing and rebuilding everything they have lost."

Had Arage ever talked this much?

No, because she had never had to explain herself, nor wanted to.

But her eyes gleamed and she was slightly flushed. This was an entirely different and perhaps even excited, Arage.

"What do you think, Em?"

Okay, definitely excited.

Arage’s enthusiasm for her plan was well apparent. In the years M had known the orderly ex-Admiral, she’d never heard so many consecutive sentences.

Uninterruptive, M watched Arage Bao Arage Bao speak. Her eyes were calculating and sharp.

Fragments of rumours revealed themselves against the truth. Corpos grumbling in hotel bars and coffee shops, overheard, started to earn a fraction more credibility for their astuteness.

It was a good thing the blue milk was good. Sweet, smooth. Like her favourite from that unassuming café in Anchorhead. Rumoured location Beru Lars had put a downpayment on the property a long, long, long time ago. Before she turned crispy.

M took another patient sip when Arage held up her hand, predicting the Director’s objections. Like she was voicelessly agreeing to remain silent until Queen Bao gave her the room to speak.

And not just speak, but share her feedback.

“Nationalization and a parastatal approach,” M repeated at first, slowly. As if the word were something to savour, like the blue milk’s sweet aftertaste.

“Surprisingly sustainable.”

And surprisingly not a particularly predictable Imperialistic move.

“But a large change. The transitionary developments will keep you busy.”

She frowned. “Do you have a timeline?”

The Admiralty
Codex Judge
IVI IVI

"In a way we should thank Loghain and the New Imperial Order." Arage responded thoughtfully.

"His actions ran havoc throughout the Kuat Sector. The Drive Yards are in ruin, industry is still busy picking up the pieces..." The Queen smiled there with a little bit of satisfaction. "So much so they have little to no ability to lobby against the coming tide they all feel coming, but have no ability to push back against."

Her finger tips drummed against the table as M asked for a timeline.

"Why, Director, do I look like a woman who does things without a projected timeline?"

A little button was pressed and between them a hologram flashed into existence. It showcased Kuat as it was right now. The projects that would have to be started to bring it back into its former economic powerhouse existence. "The last months were spent bringing back order, removing rebels, clearing the rubble. This will be a multi-year long project. I suspect close to a decade before Kuat will be back towards its former output."

This did not seem to bother Arage overly much.

"Luckily... we will no longer be supplying at least one nation that we used to supply." If before Arage would have been incensed at not supplying the New Imperial Order? Well, wrecking a whole star sector out of spite had a way of making one see reason. "And I believe the SIA should see repayment for its efforts in short order."

A little shrug as she refused to elaborate further.

"Anyway. Would you like to call your little guest onto the HoloNet Frequency? I realize you were trying to surprise me, but there is little that escapes my notice so close to my base of power, Em."

Last edited:
M's lip twitched. A modicum of amusement at the corner of her mouth. Over the years, Arage Bao Arage Bao had indeed become her favourite senator. Not because she was predictable and controllable like Tithe and his endless pursuit of wealth, but because she operated on a level akin to M's own. Which made her a remarkable ally.

"I would expect nothing less." The Chiss admitted, despite the measure of disappointment that shifted beneath her ribs. M always had surprises. It was how information flowed. She had the most of it, and others just...got by with scraps. It took elbow grease to shift the dynamics.

Elbow grease that Talia Halcorr Talia Halcorr had yet to learn. The young Kuati was one of those persons who was a benefactor to information and details as they came, without seeing all the connections and interpersonal plays.

"I told you I'd take care of finding a senator to represent Kuat's seat in the Senate. Her campaign has been successful so far, as predicted."

She stretched from her seated position to place a thin, silver transmitter on Arage's desk.

"It's about time you both establish some level of communication parameters and expectations for the future. Especially since she may have to be the voice of some of your new initiatives."

It was flashing light green, showing its attempt to establish a connection. Finally, it binged to initiate the connection had been made and was anticipating the Senator-to-be's response.

Coruscant
Senate Building

Talia had spent the last few months on Coruscant, and she was admittedly feeling a little homesick. She hadn’t been back to Kuat in far too long, especially since her campaign had taken her from there. The initial stretch had been local, garnering support from the Kuati for her position in the Senate. Which wasn’t too difficult to achieve, as Talia had established herself as a community figure over the years.

Something a certain Chiss Director had subtly suggested all that time ago.

But now the final touches were underway, provided there were no further interruptions that would disrupt the Senate as a whole. It was practically a formality now, but the Senate loved their ceremonies.

That however, had been the least of Talia’s concerns the past hour or so. She had been sent a message by IVI IVI , telling her to be ready for a holo call at a specific time. Now Talia didn’t know the Chiss incredibly well, but enough to know if she told you to be somewhere at a time, you got there on time.

Cue a dash around the senate building looking for an empty office she could use. Fortunately she did, with enough time to spare to check the room was secure before settling behind the desk.

She took a deep breath, before inputting the code as instructed and then waited. After a few minutes, the desk beeped signalling the connection had been made. A single finger press activated the projector.

A holographic form of Talia appeared on the Queen’s desk.

Her mouth snapped shut, her expression neutral as she looked straight ahead at the woman. But there was a momentary flicker in her eyes, surprised at the fact she was addressing Arage Bao Arage Bao .

To Talia’s credit though, it was only for a couple moments before she spoke. “Your majesty.” She began, bowing her head much like M had done earlier. “I apologise for not being there in person, but some final matters on Coruscant have kept me here.

She mutely cursed M, knowing that sneaky woman was likely in the room enjoying this immensely.

The Admiralty
Codex Judge
IVI IVI | Talia Halcorr Talia Halcorr

Arage waited until Talia flickered into existence.

Then waited some more for her to address her Queen.

You could find out a lot about a person simply by how they reacted to a surprise. This? Was certainly one for Talia, which amused the Lord Admiral certainly and greatly. "The great Pearl of the Core always has a way of trapping us there with things to do, yes?" Arage murmured with more mirth, a slight upturn of her mouth that was displayed clearly to M.

Perhaps less clearly to Talia however.

"The Director here has you in mind for the great responsibility of representing the people of Kuat in the Senate, miss Halcorr." A pause that dragged on for a little while there. "Do you feel you are up for the task?"

A soft tick of her nails against the table as Arage awaited her response.

Then, as if it was an errant thought, she added slyly something else to the end.

"And I hope that no campaign contributions will ever sway you to the Corporatists side. That would be... disappointing." Her eyes met the Chiss'. Oh, yes, M had promised, but... there was nothing wrong with putting a bit of personal fear into the would-be Senator. Just to make a point of it, because Arage would hate to have to make this upstanding ambitious woman disappear.

If she were to disappoint them both.

Absolutely.

No hesitation, answering a second pause after Arage had asked her question. Talia had been working on this campaign for months, hell she had technically been working towards something like this for years. Ever since one of her tutors had made a suggestion of following the political path for her studies.

Of course, these days hindsight had made it clear that idea hadn’t been entirely the teacher’s own.

Talia also took note that Arage had addressed her by name. Meaning either one of two things, M had named her, or the Queen had done her homework. Both were likely true, the latter most particularly. Someone like Arage Bao did not do things in half measures. Especially with stuff that aligned with her interests and goals.

The Queen’s second question almost got a snort of amusement from Talia, but the woman managed to refrain. As much as the notion amused her, Talia wanted to remain professional during the call. Instead, she wrinkled her nose and shook her head.

They could offer me a million, and I wouldn’t accept it. Greed is what led Kuat to be in this state to begin with.” Talia paused, taking a breath. “Plus taking such a contribution would negatively shift public opinion, and make potentially Populist-aligned supporters wary.

Divine. Absolutely divine.

M loved a little orchestrated chaos now and then. In her line of work, it was so rare to share moments of actual humour — even if it was at the expense of the esteemed upcoming Kuati Senator.

Regardless, Talia Halcorr Talia Halcorr did not disappoint. She followed instructions to a T, and her performance was so genuine M was convinced it wasn't a performance at all. It was a pity, sometimes, that Talia was truly one of the good ones.

Behind the glow of her handpicked and groomed representative, M looked through the silhouette of the senator to Arage Bao Arage Bao with a tight, smug expression that radiated I told you so.

It would be polite to let Talia know she was on a conference call, though, so M actually voiced her pride.

"You see, Majesty? Senator-elect Halcorr's interests are well aligned with your own. A queen and a senator for the people of Kuat are a duo of leadership the people deserve to benefit from."

M leaned back into her seat, placing one hand on her knee and asked a question she knew the answer to: "Miss Halcorr, when does the official vote come to pass that secures your senate seat?"

Vote or no vote, that seat was hers. Her mysterious benefactor was generous indeed.

Ah, there was that ever familiar voice. The one that had been quietly whispering in the background of her life growing up. Never showing her face, not even the tiniest hint. At least not until the day when she finally revealed herself.

That had been like a tidal wave of revelation, one after another.

And sure, there was for a brief time a distaste for being used by the Chiss Director. But Talia came to understand that used was a harsh way to put it. It was true yes, but it was all for the benefit and growth of the Galactic Alliance. And to Kuat and its people, which was Talia’s primary focus.

She was…how did M put it? An asset.

One of no doubt countless that were under the Chiss’ plans. But Talia knew that was a mere base layer understanding, and that it went far deeper.

The official vote will come to pass later this evening.” She had made her case to the Senate earlier that morning, which was a daunting moment in her life. A culmination of her months-long campaign coming to a close. Starting from gathering support of her people, to presenting it before a vast collection of different representatives.

The Admiralty
Codex Judge
Talia Halcorr Talia Halcorr | IVI IVI

I told you so, M's expression relayed and Arage's remained as stoic as ever.

Except for the little quirk of the corner of the mouth. Just a little twitch upwards. So fast gone it might not have been there to begin with... except that the Director had been in close proximity to her more than most sentients these days. She would have picked up on it... even if Arage would have preferred she hadn't.

The Chiss really didn't need more to blow her ego up.

"I do see, Director." Arage responded calmly as she thought about that timeline. If she rearranged a few things on her schedule? "I will hold an impromptu televised call then. To congratulate the Senator-Elect once the time comes and make it clear we are presenting an unified front."

Her amber eyes didn't leave the blue flickering hues of Talia's hologram however.

"And what do you think of nationalizing industry and infrastructure, miss Halcorr? Do you find that an acceptable solution to give the people their jobs and wealth back?"

She could imagine the smug-satisfied expression on M’s face right now. The Chiss liked it when her pieces fell into place, especially ones she had been cultivating for a while. And Talia’s had been years in the making at this point. Though the Kuati had always been too focused in her work to ever really feel pressure towards that.

And if she was going to be honest, she too felt a great sense of pride and satisfaction. Years of effort and work were finally culminating in achieving its goal.

I find it very acceptable indeed.” She said with a nod. “When I was garnering support from the Kuati people, a topic that resounded amongst them was Industry. That outside companies and corpos had picked and piecemealed it for so long.” There was a flash of distaste in Talia’s expression.

After all, she had seen the effects that had to the people as she grew up on the streets.

What was once the pride of Kuat, was taken away from its people. Its foundations eroded long before the traitorous Loghain got his hands on it.

The Admiralty
Codex Judge
Talia Halcorr Talia Halcorr | IVI IVI

Once more Arage found herself glancing over to M.

Talia must really have felt like she was part of a beauty pageant. But rather than her looks being poured over, it was her knowledge and political stances.

"Either you have coached her well or she will do quite well, Director." Arage finally admitted after a brief thoughtful intermezzo. Part of her had wanted to decline Talia on principle. It would have thrown a wrench in M's plans and that would have been amusing to behold.

Raw pragmatism prevented her from such petty (if amusing) avenues.

Talia would do.

"You are saying the right things and I am sure you will vote accordingly. We shall meet one week after your appointment, Senator Halcorr and go through the rest of my plans for Kuat."

To make sure there would be no discrepancies.

Arage was nothing if not attentive to the details.

"Is there anything you'd like to ask me? Now is the time."

Talia did her utmost to not show just how pleased; and arguable smug, she was feeling about the whole conversation. Getting Arage’s approval was the last hurdle that had been in her path. Getting the Senate’s approval and votes was one thing, but the recently appointed Queen had the final say.

If she wasn’t satisfied, all of Talia’s hard work over the years would’ve been for nothing. There was no concealing the influence M had behind this, but it seemed she had been right in predicting what Arage’s response would be.

Talia looked away for a few moments, thinking on the question and whether there were any lurking about in my head.

I have no questions as of right now, but I’m sure I’ll have some when we talk next.” She finally spoke, her head then shifting to the side slightly, as if addressing the other occupant in the room. “And unless M has anything to say?” Talia let the words draw out into a pause, waiting to see if the Chiss indeed had anything in mind before continuing. “Then I shall look forward to meeting with you in a week’s time, your majesty.

She bowed her head, then hit a button on her end. The hologram froze for a moment before it dissipated completely.

As far as M was concerned, that interaction went smoothly. She simply shook her head, no, and thanked Talia for taking the time to showcase her aptitude. As well as a well-wish for the inevitable success in the election process.

When the blue shape of Senator Halcorr disappeared, M was once again left alone with the queen.

"There is another matter of production I hoped to discuss with you. Based on our mutual..hesitations with Force users.

I've put together a new initiative that's been approved by members of the senate with the purpose of hunting Sith exclusively."
The gleam in her eyes suggested the unsaid. "They require technology to put them at an advantage."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom