Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Investors and Credits

Akodya Mune

A
Akodya's footsteps echoed through the lonely Corellian residence as she made her way down the long, wide hallway that lead to her mother's wing. Holo projectors lined the creme walls and emitted blue, glowing busts of her ancestors, their eyes burning through her as she glided towards a pair of large and beautifully designed doors. The estate was not as big as the Jedi temple Akodya was used to, but it felt far emptier. Her home on Coruscant was always buzzing, the happy cheers of younglings and small disputes among elderly masters had grown to be the sound of home for the padawan. Silence was the only thing that graced this desolate structure. Entering the large room Akodya was welcomed by a rigid voice.

"Akodya, did you by something for tonight?" A woman that resembled the Jedi asked, adjusting her expensive looking garment in the mirror. Although Akodya did care about her mother, they had never been close. She was more like a distant relative she visited rather than the woman that gave birth to her.

"Unfortunately no, I was...distracted." She answered, as if she was addressing a senator.

"I expected as much, so I had a dress made for you. It's in your quarters, now hurry and get ready." The elder woman said without facing her daughter.

"If you already had one ready why did you send me out?" Akodya asked, a little annoyed.

"To give you the opportunity to pick something you liked, but I had a feeling you might come back empty handed so naturally I decided it was a good idea to have a back up garment. I know you love your Jedi robes, but I am afraid you can't wear them to a formal event...I have made such a fuss about how lovely my Jedi daughter is and I don't want to disappoint."

In case you hadn't noticed, but Jedi wear them on all occasions.

"Where are we going to again?"

"The CEO of a company I have put money into is hosting a dinner for the investors."

"Alright." Akodya sighed. Her Mother, Ahania Baruk-Mune, sat on old money. Quite frankly, she had more credits than she knew what to do with. Another reason why the Jedi felt so uncomfortable staying with her. With that, Akodya fled to her room a flight of stairs down, to find a loud, shining garment waiting for her. Again, with no room to conceal a weapon.

Great.

@[member="Baros Sal-Soren"]
---

Garment:
Murad_ss13_004.jpg

The stage was set. The lights were dimmed to a level that would bring people closer and into more private conversations. The music played, hard in tone but soft in volume, some of the days newest music. The tunes flowing were more experimental and nondescript than they were mainstream and popular. A few sculptors adorned the middle of the room, three of them in fact in row, each created by a young and aspiring artist and for sale that night. Baros pushed the arts and celebrated creativity at these events. For every artist that did not make it, there was a lot of credits to be made and a huge reputation to be garnered for everyone you promoted that went big to the masses.

Baros was pressed and buttoned down in a fine collarless suit. Five old fashioned buttons with silver embossing run just left of the center of his chest. He stood still while smiling and greeting each guest with a calming smile but looked almost mystical as if the clothes were inspired by some shaaman from the outer fringes of space. In the darkened room, and from a distance, the extreme dark green clothing caused his head to look as though it was floating through the air. If it was not for a couple of hands protruding from his sleeves the illusion would be in full force. Of course the suit was tailored to his physique.

"Thank you for attending Mrs Varnaseek," Baros said with a welcoming smile and embrace. Varnaseek was a long time friend of his mother, friend was a word that meant many things, but in this case it meant she got a cordial hug.

As she walked past, her hand 'accidentally' grazed his thigh. Baros prevented a disgusted shudder. Old women with money became one of two things, cougars or prudes, he loved prudish women with money, but the cougars were the ones you could get money out of easily. You just had to prevent them from expecting anything in return. Baros ignored her reproachful attentiveness and focused on the next group to arrive. Ah, the Baruk-Mune family. Mrs. Baruk-Mune was a delightful woman and thankfully not handsy.

It was the young woman that was with his benefactor that caught his attention immediately. His smile gained a subtly more genuine hint to it. "Ahania," he said giving his latest guest a gentle kiss on the cheek, "how ever did you find our mystery model?" He waved a hand towards the holo of Akoyda walking the alleyway. The holo was on a stage for all to see, really front and center of the exhibit of Glitterstim's latest works. She was not the only model of course, but she definitely flicked back into existence as a holo image every few moments. "I literally plucked her off the streets this afternoon!"

@[member="Akodya Mune"]

Akodya Mune

A
Despite her heritage, dinner parties and social events were an environment she struggled to find pleasure in. After a long, awkward and just plain uncomfortable ride with her mother, the pair finally arrived at the location of the function was taking place. Of course, the setting was magnificent. Art of elegant taste was displayed for the wealthy guests to briefly gaze upon as they conversed, secretly judging one another while they handed out soppy and empty compliments. The faint buzz of modern music the Jedi had never hear before was drifting through the air, the artistry of the musicians being ignored. It was a mere accessory in attempt to impress. A sour expression as a result of Akodya's harsh opinions must have appeared on her face, because Ahania shot her a sharp warning look.

"Smile." The older woman mouthed as she strolled ever so elegantly toward the entry hall.

The Jedi glowered before quickly switching into her 'professional' mode. Practicing equanimity had been something she had done since she was a youngling. Forcing herself to look as though the dress she wore wasn't as unpleasant to wear as it actually was, Akodya quickly followed her mother toward the man who appeared to be greeting the guests. Breaking away from a embrace Akodya sensed was uncomfortable on his part, the young man turned and welcomed her mother with a peck on the cheek. The padawan's tawny eyes widened.

you.

As Baros Sal-Soren smiled at the pair and gestured towards the holos that displayed the label glitterstem's latest collection. Ahania's lips quirked up in a smile as she walked the hazed blue form of her daughter strode down a alleyway. Akodya could feel her cheeks burn up in embarrassment. She knew it was going to be viewed, she just hoped she wouldn't be around when it was. Ahania chuckled and turned to Akodya with a grin. "Darling! is that what you meant by being distracted?" Ahania said, her gaze shifting back to the young man.

"Baros, your mystery model is my daughter, Padawan Akodya Mune. She is a healer, just like her father was." the older woman introduced her child daughter.

Akodya's composure had suddenly dissolved as she tried not to glare. Oh, it was just her luck. It was Sal-Soren's party, and her mother was an investor. "Fancy seeing you here, Baros." She managed, flicking her hair off her shoulder.

The look of consternation on Akodya's face was priceless. And to think she was Akodya Baruk-Mune! Also, wait, what? Padawan. Baros did a slight double take, but did not let the news show any surprise on his face. "Ahania's daughter...my saviour...the most gorgeous woman in the room tonight...and a Jedi to boot, huh?" Baros chimed in, layering it on thick, "now...I did not plan on having a plus one for this evening but given the seemingly fated circumstances of our early meeting I would have to demand it...with your permission of course Ahania."

The guests behind the Baruk-Mune's were starting to form a line as they waited. As much as Baros was enjoying the sheer awkwardness that Akodya was exhibiting, he did have to move them on so he could greet the last few arriving investors. "For now though...till we talk again?" Baros said with a polite bow, his eyes purposely following the golden curves of Akodya's gown, "rest assured...we have much to discuss. I shall see you both soon."

The next investor walked up. "Greetings Senator Distrali...I am honoured by your presence. And is this your daughter?"

"My wife," grinned the much older senator.

"Oh congratulations, I did hear you had remarried...but sir...I had never imagined you could have someone on your arm that would make you look even more prestigious than before!"

'Oh stop it you young rascal," the Senator said with a chortle. He was really a dirty old man, and Baros felt sorry for the young woman that had to see his body in anything less than a full body cast.

"You are too kind, Mr Sal-Soren," said the Senator's new wife with a careful smile and a bow of her head.

"Come my dear," said her husband, patting her hand softly, "let me introduce you to those that would call me friend...I look forward to your presentation, Baros."

"As do I, Senator, as do I," Baros said with a cheshire like smile before turning his attention to the remainder of the guests.

@[member="Akodya Mune"]

Akodya Mune

A
Baros sure knew what to say to get what he wanted. After spewing out a line of sickly sweet compliments, the young man had Akodya's mother eating out if his hand. Of course Akodya could see through the falsities. Ahania's smile grew wider as she swelled with pride, the jedi couldn't help but feel a bit sorry for the lady. Akodya politely dipped her head slightly in return, a habit she had developed from the temple. She was unaware of Baro's gaze, and quiet frankly she was avoiding looking at him. Moving along Mrs. Baruk-Mune was expression was usually brighter than normal. Once a fair distance away from the entrance Ahania turned to her daughter. "Such a charming boy, don't you think Akodya?" She said.

"If by charming you mean manipulative, calculating and sly then yes, he is incredibly charming." She replied in a low voice so no one but her mother would hear.

The smile on Ahania's face was quickly replaced with a scowl. "Don't be rude. He that boy has potential, and he has been raised well. Why is it when you do come to visit I never hear about the men you meet?"

"We are not having this conversation now." Akodya said firmly, before she was saved by a few friends of the wealthy woman walked over to greet them.

As the room began to full up Akodya's patience was wearing thin. Her mother had abandoned her with the adolescent son of a fellow investor. She tried to have a decent conversation with the blond teenager, but judging by the fact he thought her eyes were somewhere in between her breasts and that he barely managed a few words for every question she asked he was probably a bit slow.

"I'm going to get some air." She finally said, the boy's face finally facing hers.

"I will accompany you..." he responded.

"Are you my lungs, Gannrik?"

"..no..?"

"Then there is no need for you to come with me." She said bluntly before swiftly turning on her heal and made a beeline for the doors that lead out into the courtyard.

The music ramped up. The lights dimmed even more, before a double door the full height of the ceiling began to open. The crowd hushed and waited for what would happen. Holos started to flash on and off at various increments down the stage's width. They showed models walking as it were in the air, Akodya was of course one of these models. The music came to a sudden stop along with the holos before a single spotlight came on to Baros standing right where the doors had being touching just moments before. More spotlights came on each following a different model as they walked from first his left and then around him towards the front of the stage and then off to the side that they came from. Model after model walked out in original Glitterstim designs.

"Glitterstim has recently opened its fifth store, this on Coruscant. Sales for this store have beaten expectations. We are on track to make a profit in our first year."

Droids hovering in the air suddenly revealed themselves as they rotated on the vertical axis and shot laser of a goldish hue from out of their emitters.

"Financial statements are being forward to your datapads as we speak."

Datapads around the room began to come alive, causing another light show. There was a slight delay at the end of this moment, when a single datapad lit up, clearly the last one.

"I know who your service provider is," Baros said with a teasing smile, "see me afterwards, I will take care of that slow speed for you."

The crowd chuckled a little and cast a glance at the person embarrassed by their slow data reception.

"But it is the FUTURE that we are here about today! May I present to you...the next stop...no...the next STOPS...for Glitterstim."

A screen lit up behind Baros as he lifted his arms into the air. Behind him a massive planet spun in orbit around an ancient star. A woman's voice spoke, "Empress Teta...store opening scheduled for the middle of this galactic year..." Empress Teta faded from view only to be replaced by another planet. "Rendili...store opening scheduled for the end of year fashion month of Rendili's capitol city." The planet faded and was replaced with the images of the models that had just been passing through the lit area of the stage. Each wore a unique piece from one of the various stores.

"Upwards and onwards we go...and may I add...that every woman here today will walk out with one of these original garments. One of a kind...let the haggling begin!"

Datapads lit up again with the images of the models appearing so everyone could more closely see their designs. Another message caught the attention of each investor as well, a little message titled simply, Dividends.

The lights dimmed, and then came back to the original levels, but Baros was gone from the platform only the models remained standing at the edge of the stage for all to look on the fine nature of Glitterstim's work.

Out the back, Baros wiped his brow with a sleeve just before changing out of that shirt. "Wethl...please find Akodya Baruk-Mune and offer her an invitation to join me in my office...I will have a shuttle take her there if she would like. Let her know I am yet to eat tonight, and I am hoping she would join me."

"As you wish Mr. Sal-Soren," replied his PA before briskly marching out of the room and into the room full of investors. It was a simple matter of asking Ahania where her daughter was, she was only to happy to point out the direction in which Akodya had walked once she knew that Wethl was Baros' personal assistant.

Walking on to the balcony, Wethl cleared her throat. "Mr. Sal-Soren is hoping that you would join him for supper...your mother told me you were here."

@[member="Akodya Mune"]

Akodya Mune

A
Akodya had stayed out in the courtyard while the presentation took place. A small smile graced her lips as the cool breeze tickled her skin. Looking up into the darkening sky, she noted that night was almost upon her. It was a relief to be out a of the room even if it was for a little while. Leaning on the wall Akodya sighed and reached down to her belt before remembering it wasn't there. She had been made to leave her lightsaber at the estate, and she reluctantly agreed. Even though it was a weapon, it acted as a reminder of what she was training to be in moments she doubted herself. She didn't feel whole without it. Although lately, she didn't really feel that she belonged there at all. That was partly the reason why she decided to visit the planet of her birth, and probably felt compelled to help out Baros earlier that day. Maybe she wanted to see what she could be in a more normal situation?

Absently the padawan listened to the muffled voices and laughter of those inside, the music becoming more intense and the lights had been dimmed for what she thought was dramatic effect. Why did Baros even need all of those investors? from what she knew about the Sal-Soren family she thought he'd be able to set the company up without outside support. Her brow furrowed. Maybe it was greed that made him decide to incite others to put their money into his brand. Stupid rich boy, she thought to herself as her thoughts wondered to the interaction earlier with her mother.

Ahania seemed eat up the whole charade without thinking twice about it. Akodya thought since the woman had grown up with all this madness she would be able to see through that load of bantha poodoo. Then again, she might have had so much false praise since she was young that she doesn't know when something is genuine or not. It dawned on Akodya that she was like that too, in a way, except instead of presuming it was positive, she thought it was negative.

Akodya's train of thought was soon broken when someone cleared their throat. Quickly standing up straight again she met the eyes of Wethl, Baros' assistant. At the woman's words the brunette's eyes widened a little, before her expression turned cold. Why on earth does he think he is going to get out of a meal with me?

"I'm sorry, but you can tell Mr. Sal-Soren that I am not interested." She answered.

Maybe that older lady who seemed to enjoy that hug with him earlier would prefer to go instead.

Wethl sent a message immediately to Baros regarding her denial. Well, immediately after she had gotten over her surprise at the rejection. That was easily a first for her, and she quietly wondered if Baros was losing his touch, or was this the type that did not want his kind. Either way, Baros needed to know. His reply came quickly over their text based communications.

She does not wish to have dinner with you, sir.
Tell her that you will let her mother know that she will be needing transportation home after all. If that doesn't work, tell her mother.
Understood.

Wethl looked up and smiled. "I shall inform your mother that Mr. Sal-Soren will not be providing your transport home then," with that Wethl turned and slowly began to make her way inside, slow enough for Akodya to stop her should she desire too.

@[member="Akodya Mune"]

Akodya Mune

A
"Excuse me?" She blurted out after the assistance's reply. Akodya's face twisted into another scowl. Baros had to be the most manipulative person she had met! Using her mother against her! Ahania would be furious if she knew Akodya refused. Maybe if Baros that the curtisy to ASK HER IN PERSON she might have agreed. The padawan felt a bit sorry for Wethl, having to do the rich boy's dirty work. With fingers slowly curling into fists she mowed the situation over in her head...

Mother's eternal wrath, dinner for Sal-Soren...wrath...Sal-Soren...

Wrath she could live with.

Just as Akodya opened her mouth to describe exactly what she thought of Baros' idea when Ahania herself wondered out to the courtyard.

"Akodya, you look flushed, what ever is the matter?" she asked, the older woman's eyes jumping from Wethl to Akodya and back again.

Wethl paused when the elder Baruk-Mune entered the situation. She looked both at Akodya and then at her mother. She awaited someone to speak to break the unease, but when nothing was forthcoming Wethl did what she knew her boss would have wanted. "Ma'am," she said bowing to Ahania, "I had just finished inviting your daughter to join Mr. Sal-Soren for dinner at his office."

She paused and looked at Akodya who had twice said no, and she made a decision. Two no's did not warrant a third chance in her mind. Mr. Sal-Soren was a brilliant businessman and a true catch. If Akodya was that much of a fool then so be it.

"Your daughter has turned down the invitation."

With that, Wethl turned and walked back into the building. She had more important things to do.

@[member="Akodya Mune"]

Akodya Mune

A
Ahania turned to her daughter with a scowl that rivaled the padawans, the older woman seemed to be containing her feelings and awaited to Wethl to leave before stiding over to Akodya, her high heels echoing as she did so. Roughly grabbing Akodya's wrist she tugged her toward the hall where the presentation took place.

"We are leaving. Now." She said firmly, and began pulling the padawan out of courtyard.

---

"Akodya, do you have any idea what you could have done?"

"No..."

"YOU COULD HAVE OFFENDED ONE OF THE MOST INFLUENTIAL FAMILIES IN THE REPUBLIC! You don't just say no to a Sal-Soren."

Akodya sat in the back of one of her mother's overly priced speeders, avoiding her mother's eyes as she ranted about the stunt she just pulled. "I had the right to say no, Mother, no one should just get what they want because they have a lot of money." She replied as calmly as possible.

"Akodya, it is not just about the credits, it's about reputation. That family could tear you and I down in a second." She said harshly, before sighing.

"I sometimes forget you spent your whole life in that temple..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom