Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interest check: teaching exotic Force-powers

For me exotic Force-powers means mostly the following:
  • Electric Judgment (that way you can help out in a power outage or to recharge your lightsabers)
  • Pyrokinesis (when you need to cook in a pinch, or for any other reason need heat)
  • Cryokinesis (when you need cold for some reason)
  • Force-cloak
If there are other Force-powers you wish to learn, or teach, I will take your requests.

[member="Cathul Thuku"]

Umm ok considering both Jedi and Sith have entire for lack of a better word subsections of their respective orders devoted entirely to the application of Force Cloak how does this qualify as an exotic power? Those of course being Jedi Shadows and Sith Assassins. Heck there is an entire minor Faction here on Chaos that uses it as a corner stone of their faction concept.

Also Force Fear/Horror/Insanity is a Dark Side power with no ability for a light side practitioner to use it without at least straying from the light unless I missed something. So tell me exactly how do you propose teaching Jedi such abilities without pushing them towards a Dark Side shift? Taking away somebodies will or desire to fight is one thing but bringing a persons deepest/darkest fears to the forefront of their mind is something else entirely. I mean a clever application of Mind Trick sure but actual fear/horror?

For that matter Electric Judgement is less an exotic power but more of a Light Side version of Force Lightening. There are a half dozen "Legends" examples of Jedi using it.

The kinetic powers might work as labeled. Everything else? I believe your explanations show a rather large misunderstanding of them, their nature, and their usage.

Plus, a Knight level character having access to all of them fully is... Well at least to me, a bit much..

I only really wrote about what uses one could get out of these Force-powers (Cathul does that and then some), not about how they actually worked. I used pyrokinesis to force an opponent to drop the weapon once (after I used Electric Judgment), but in that particular thread I spammed Force-horror like crazy, feeling that it was best to take away the enemy will to fight when you know only nonlethal weapons are permitted.

[member="Armis Vindex"] Force-fear/horror (she's not yet at Force-insanity level) without recourse to the dark side of the Force will feel more like a clever mind trick than real fear or horror.

If you're using Fear or Horror in any way, that's a darkside force power no matter which way you spin it. You're showing your opponent their greatest fears, by invading their mind and warping it against them. So using a darksided force power without recourse only shows that you're not understanding the source material and in-fact have been writing a "corrupted" character. As such, I wanted to warn you that the Galactic Alliance's In Character stance on openly darksided characters is that they will be arrested and placed in the care of the New Jedi Order on Sullust.

She is not past redemption though. She might have been using rather advanced mind tricks this entire time rather than Fear or Horror.

In which case she will make no attempt at teaching Force-fear or Force-horror to GA characters, only mind tricks that could result in enemies give up on fighting. Force-stun might be more appropriate to label what Cathul actually did - it's not the first time I misidentify Force-powers.

Cathul Thuku said:
[member="Armis Vindex"] Force-fear/horror (she's not yet at Force-insanity level) without recourse to the dark side of the Force will feel more like a clever mind trick than real fear or horror.
Then it is not Force Fear/Horror. Mind Trick is Mind Trick.........it has many applications and can have a wide range of results.

Fear/Horror however is not mind trick in that it has a very specific purpose............to cause harm.

A mind tricked person may never know they were mind tricked much less feel any after effects once it wears off. However with Fear/Horror not only is the person aware of what is happening once it takes effect they largely remain effected by it long after the active effects wear off.

In the case of higher levels, especially Insanity, it can reduce the target to a catatonic state which in extreme cases can be permanent.

Keeping in the OOC nature of my comments in this thread. You pissed off a bunch of Mandalorians trying to doing things IC you didn't understand and now you are trying to teach Jedi Dark side abilities and passing them off as not or less than dark side.

If I could pass on to you good nature intended advice put some thought and research into what you want to do before tossing up a thread like this. If need be PM a friend and tossing the ideas back and forth before trying to do it IC.

Cathul Thuku said:
(that way you can help out in a power outage or to recharge your lightsabers)
... You do know that isn't how electric judgement works, right? Emerald Lightning / Electric Judgement is just force lightning without negative emotions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom