Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Which I Complain About Your Writing Then Ask For Feedback

Since there is (was? I think it’s already over) a fad going around where people beg for feedback, I figured I’d go ahead and jump on the (swiftly departing) bandwagon while I still can. Except I’m putting a twist on mine—in exchange for giving me feedback, you get my advice for free!... wait....

But really, this is just a collection of musings based on what I’ve observed while reading the work of other writers here on Chaos. I don’t profess to be an expert in writing (to be honest, no one is, because language is constantly changing) but I do have over a decade’s worth of experience as an enthusiastic hobbyist when it comes to creative writing, so I guess you could say I know a little somethin' about it.

I realize a lot of you probably aren’t all that interested in bettering your craft. For some, RPing is just a way of living out your own personal power fantasy. There’s no shame in admitting it; most people are average, life grinds us down, and it’s good that you’ve found an outlet that’s as creative as this. Just be glad you aren’t a degenerate like the people on R-rated RP sites. But for those of you who are trying to better yourselves as writers, like me, I offer this as a gift back to the community that has helped keep me sane throughout this long winter and mad spring.

As far as my own feedback is concerned, I'm looking for your opinion on any and all of my characters: Alyosha, Val, Nimdok, Inanna, Starlin, even Heliobas and Anesha (though I've barely done anything with her yet). Be as harsh or as soft as you want to, I just want to know how y'all perceive them as characters, what I'm doing wrong, and what I can do to improve.
  1. The Basics - What Did You Say?
Nobody likes a Grammar Nazi, not everyone speaks English as a first language, and autocorrect is far from perfect, but be honest now. If the person you are interacting with can’t understand what you’ve written, the fun grinds to a halt. If you have major difficulties with grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc, you need to either study hard and improve your English, find someone who can act as your editor and help clean up your posts, or use a word processor with a built in spell check rather than typing your posts directly into the site with no proofreading. Google Docs is free, I’ve been using it for years. You can even program it to change -- to —. It’s great!
And as much as I find it funny when people misspell Nimdok’s name (Nimdock is the most common one, but I’ve also seen Nimdcok, Nimok, and even Nimrod.) there’s really no excuse for it. It’s literally written right there in front of you. You can copy and paste it if you have to.

2. Dialogue - There’s a Reason It’s In Color​
Despite the title of this section, this is not me complaining about people not coloring their dialogue. I do have a problem with certain people using a color that clashes with the background and hurts my eyes to read, but that’s not my primary concern here. Coloring dialogue is a tradition across RP sites because it is the most important part of your post. Communication between two entities is the basic building block of a scene.
Here’s the thing, though. There’s a very common bad habit here that I like to call the “three-dimensional conversation”. Basically, in each post your character will respond to (on average) three different topics within the same conversation. It isn’t a huge deal within the context of the medium, but it is a bit of a peeve of mine because that’s not how conversations work in real life. It’s the primary reason why I don’t read other people’s threads for pleasure; it destroys most of the tension, for one, but it’s also very stilted when you’re reading post to post. The characters don’t bounce off each other so much as they talk over each other. It doesn’t flow naturally. Does that make sense?
It’s also pretty obvious that you’re using this 3D thing in order to pad out your posts and make them seem longer than they actually are and/or because you’re anxious about keeping the conversation interesting. It doesn’t work as well as you think.
An easy alternative to this is to make your character more talkative instead. I conceived Jacen Nimdok Jacen Nimdok as a verbose former professor both because I liked the idea of a character who is very knowledgeable and loves the sound of his own voice, and because I wanted to get around this problem. I still fall into the 3D habit with him, but usually only because the person(s) I’m interacting with are doing it and I have to keep up. I still don’t like it and I have a feeling most people do it without thinking about how bizarre it would look if you were to line up each line of dialogue in a sequence. Just imagine putting your dialogue in transcript form and you'll see what I mean.

3. Characters - Are There Really That Many Space Wizards In the Galaxy?​
I know that if you aren’t playing as a Force User, you are essentially SOL when it comes to combat, but please. Please, please, please, do something different. The Star Wars galaxy is huge and varied. Don’t just be another Jedi, guardian of peace and justice, or another Sith, evil overlord supreme. Be a schizophrenic dancer. Be a nutty professor. Be a shapeshifting prostitute. Be a scientist who bioengineers monsters. Be a flamboyant assassin droid. Be a weird disgusting alien gangster. Be a talking plant with ambitions beyond their roots. Be a buxom knife-wielding princess with a glitter fetish.
I realize none of those are the power fantasies of most people, but if you want people to be interested in your writing (and if you want to have more fun than you’ve ever had in your whole life) then you have to think outside the box. Go outside your comfort zone. If it doesn’t work out (most of the characters created on here wind up being failures anyway), that’s okay. At least you tried to do something new and venture out a little.
But you’ve also got to be careful with this stuff...

4. Characters Part 2 - Being a Freak Doesn’t Make You Interesting​
Don’t make a weird character just for the sake of being weird. I’m not saying you have to explain why they’re weird, but I am saying that it can’t be the whole pitch of who your character is. What this really boils down to is that your character’s whole being can’t be totally dependent on one character trait, like “stubborn” or “nervous”. Real people have more going on upstairs than that, and so should your characters.
I’ve even seen a few cases of people fetishizing their character’s “uniqueness”. You do that, as far as I’m concerned you’re just looking for attention. It’s like tacking on a mental illness or weird phobia to your character’s weaknesses purely because you need something to spice things up or want to create artificial drama.
Now, I do have a character (Val Drutin ) who is deeply affected by his insanity. It affects all his interactions with others. But I brought him into this world alongside his brother Alyosha Drutin —they were conceived together and their traits inform each others’ so that I have something to play off of. Val isn’t just a crazy and impulsive person you might have a weird encounter with on the streets of Coruscant late at night; he’s also someone’s brother, someone’s son, someone’s friend. He can be goofy and wacky and weird, but at his core he is meant to be taken seriously and to still be relatable to the ordinary person.

5. NPCs - This Isn’t a Video Game​
Here’s a problem that goes to the root of my eternal beef with the concept of RP itself: for most people it’s all just a means of living out their fantasies. This mentality ultimately doesn’t make for very good writing, primarily because it promotes the use of “disposable” characters (NPCs) that exist purely as a means of fulfilling your fantasy.
I’m not coming at this from the “violent video games are bad because they let you kill innocents” angle. I’m coming at this from the “real people are not disposable, so don’t write them that way” angle. Whether you’re massacring innocents or simply getting into a barroom brawl, let there be consequences. Under normal real-life circumstances, the police will show up at the very least. Long-term consequences like facing charges of war crimes, being pursued by bounty hunters, or even getting chased down by a furious jilted lover (or an obsessive stalker) your promiscuous character dumped last week are all great potential story prompts.
And here’s another thing: you notice how most NPCs are written to be very simplistic, or even stupid and undignified? I mean, I get it—they’re extras. They exist to fulfill a specific role and then make their exit from the stage. They may not even have lines, so why bother giving them any depth? But if you can, try to make them seem more real. Even a hint of depth or a vague implication of a larger backstory will go a long way. There’s more work involved, but it can’t hurt.

6. Scene - You Have to Set These Things Up​
This is a big issue I see in Open Public threads. If you don’t establish where your character is, what they’re doing, and why they’re there, other players don’t have an outlet to enter the scenario. You have to set the scene first, and the more detailed it is the… well, actually, you probably shouldn’t make it too detailed. It depends on your problem: if you’ve got a lazy, forgetful, or minimalist streak, then you want to be more detailed. If you have a tendency to filibuster and give too much information, or your opening post is ten pages long, then you really want to take the paring knife to it and cut out some generous portions of your epic. Even if it sounds cool, if it doesn't add anything to the story, get rid of it.

Last edited:
I am going to answer this but it might take a while, because while I have interacted with you before (and rather nicely too I might add!), and I proclaim to be a writer... I am admittedly a pretty bad reader in the sense that I don't often read other people's threads.

So! Unless you would like to procure me some threads you are particularly fond of and proud of, I'm going to stalk your threads a bit before giving my feedback :p

I can do the same for you if you wish, Jacen Nimdok Jacen Nimdok !

Cassus Akovin Cassus Akovin

Oh man... I can think of a few specific posts in threads which I would consider standouts. Mostly I've been in threads that started out strong, maybe had a pretty good middle run, but ultimately finished lousy.

So you don't have to sift through some really crappy ones, here's a few you can check out off the top of my head.

Val: You of course participated in A Night At the Opera, so there's that. His two other good threads are The Stardust (which was the first private thread I ever wrote on here) and A Visit to the Madhouse. I would characterize both of them as a little fumbling but earnest.

Alyosha: For him there's The Dancer and the Assassin, which also has Val. Then there's The Harlock, which ends anticlimactically, but that's life, Jim, just not as we know it. And while it ultimately came to naught, Gathering Forces has some decent character moments with Alyosha.

Nimdok: Chasing a Rumor On Samovar has been the big one for Nimdok so far, it's easily one of the most coherent group threads I've been in. I also had a pretty successful faction two parter with the GA consisting of Licking Our Wounds and it's sequel Mistwalker (althought the latter suffered because everyone wanted to focus on invasions and I wound up bullshitting and no longer taking it seriously after two home run middle posts). There's also Do You Know Where Your Children Are?, which is set a few days before Licking Our Wounds. I'm not crazy about it, mostly because the plot in that one is a little hard to follow - I was inventing it as I went along after coming up with the premise of the thread on a whim. Given the circumstances, I'd say it turned out pretty good in the long run, but the thread itself suffers from my uncertainty and trying to invent stuff on the fly.

Inanna: With this character I'm very guilty of having her interact exclusively with NPCs; this may be because she originally was an NPC herself, created for a solo thread no less. In Night of Passion, a TSE faction social thread, I made several posts with her without ever actually interacting with anyone's characters, right up until I had her storming out in anger at said NPCs. (lol) The only (more or less complete) thread so far where she has any significant interactions with another writer is in A Very Sensitive Matter, which is primarily her monologuing. Again, the character stuff is good, but I wish I had executed it better.

Starlin: Apprentice to Flame is still ongoing, but so far it's been one of the more enjoyable threads I've written in. He was also in A Meeting On Jerrilek with Nimdok, which was fun and has some good character stuff but suffered from people dropping out/failing to post.

Last edited:

Jsc

Disney's Princess
We only RP'd once on Samovar and it was quite a good experience. I went into the thread expecting absolutely nothing. Blank slate, public thread, could be good, probably gonna tank, might be awful, a huge fleet might show up so that Admiral guy can Admiral guy other people around, etc etc etc. ...Meh. It's Chaos. Things get weird around here pretty fast. Lol. Slow Tuesday.

Turned out! Everybody did a bang up job. Filled out the world a bit. Respected the NPCs a bit. Moved the story along without Nimdok being the only guy writing actual plot. Lol. I was quite happy with how it all played along. Alas. Then real life threw me a curve ball and I had to play the "Exit Immediately" card. (Never a good card but often 100% necessary.) So instead of dragging the thread along just not posting or going AFK and hoping for the best. I quietly slipped my character out. Meh. Life happens. We deal. Hindsight is 20/20, etc. Whatever.

Anyway.

2 cents. You've got the sickness. That good-good RP sickness. Lol. So I got faith in ya. 10/10. You'll be fine. Might even be great if you learn to lose control a bit more and get lost in the pure glittering madness and stupidity of it all. But. Yeah. I get it. Sometimes standards are standards and we can't all have fun playing in the mud. Kids got to grow up from playground rules eventually. The feels.

So. Advice. Be a leader and inspire others to find the happiness and 'pure wow' in their writing. Not necessarily good grammar, punctuation, or avoiding common fantasy cliche's. That comes with time, education, mistakes, and raw self-inspired discipline. So find what makes you happy in RP and share it often IC. You'll kill it. And when you help others find their greatness? Those real 'wow' moments of RP? It will all make sense. Every time. :D :p

Oh. Right. Time for that @mention so you see this,

@Nimdokkk

...Perfect. :p

I have immensely enjoyed writing with you. Alyosha is a well rounded, believable character. And you don't write Starlin anything like him so that's a definite plus. I also like Nimdok's character a lot.

Pretty much every thread with you so far has rocked. Your dialogue is snappy and you have excellent spelling and dramatic instincts. Keep it up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom