Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"I'm Telling You Sir....It Was There A Moment Ago!"

Mr. Dr'iol sat back in his chair, his fingers steepled on his stomach while his mind was hard at work. Recently his new company had begun working on projects, while one of his companies was stalling a bit. But his pride and joy, the real gem of the trio, was Taobh Dorcha Industries. Once the ownership had been finalized and he took it over permanently from it's previous owner, he ordered all current projects to up it's production output; while ensuring those projects still in the planning stages were ready to hit the production lines in the newly built factories.

Now one of his engineers had proposed research into a couple of interesting concepts for the new dedicated carriers they were working on. Traditionally, these beauties came armed with enough firepower to protect itself, but it's real purpose was to unleash hell in the form of starfighters. The first design had called for the carrier to possess six squadrons of fighters, but in theory that would be to much. So an engineer had proposed a research project in upping it's defenses using two new, yet untested, theories.

"Mr. Dr'iol, it is time," came the voice of his secretary Mizz Wirlon over the com speaker.

"Thank you, Mizz Wirlon."

Today was going to be one of those days, where this wasn't going to be enough time to get everything accomplished. He hated days like that. He had always been a Munn with a niche to remain on schedule, planning his daily events with perfection. Yet, there was nothing he could foresee that would allow him to get everything done, meaning tomorrow was going to be just as busy as he would be forced to pick up the slack from this day's unsatisfied achievements. Before he could meet with the engineer who possessed this new design for the carrier's defenses, he had to meet a potential client for lunch.

There was a time he enjoyed these social gatherings, when meeting clients thrilled him. But lately, he felt secluded in his own way. Maybe it was loneliness? Maybe is was old age? Or maybe he was just to busy to have time to meet potential clients. He did have a staff of well trained and highly educated people working for him to handle most of these meetings, but with the stock of TDI going up and the demand laid upon them growing and growing, he had to delegate some of his time to the clients in an effort to help those that worked for him. TDI prided itself on it's reputation, and one bad word from a client could birth rumours of incompetence; and he couldn't abide by that.

Arriving to the site of the lunch meeting, some fancy little restaurant in one of the up and coming cities on Kesh, he exited his aircab and headed inside. As was his tradition, he always chose to arrive early in order to get himself prepared mentally. The clients he dealt with usually came from money, so they were educated people and not the merc types. Mercs was a lot he didn't like working with, however they were always good for the credits.

"Can I get you something to drink? Perhaps an appetizer," the waitress said to him.

His eyes scanned through the menu, causing his stomach to rumble everytime he read a description of a meal or starter plate. He didn't want to be seen eating when the client arrived, but then again he didn't want the client to hear his stomach roaring as they tried to conduct business.

"I'll take the number 4 and a small glass of Arkanian wine, please," he said with a flashy smile.

He watched as they young waitress walked away to put in his order and fill his drink. Yes, he was growing lonely in his old age. But there was nothing he could do about it. There was no chance he could ever return to Munnilst after his little embezzlement scheme. They would put him on trial and by the end of that, he would be dead. Sadly, he missed home and he missed the opportunity to be wed. There just wasn't many females of his species roaming outside the confines of his planet. And he didn't support the standing of inter-species marriage, to him that was heresy.

He leaned back in his chair, savoring the fine smooth wine as it rolled down is gullet. He did love his Arkanian wine, so smooth and so rich and like the planet itself; so cold. He indulged in a few more sips before his starter plate arrived. Looking over the tasty food, observing it closely. When it came to eating shellfish, one needed to be cautious, because good shellfish was divine; bad shellfish could kill you. Nodding his approval to the waitress, he dug into the shellfish; his eyes nearly rolling back into his head from the fantastic flavour. His stomach agreed with his excellent choice of food.

By the time he finished his last bite, the client finally arrived. Tion stood up exchanging pleasantries and a handshake, then motioned for the client to sit down. He called the waitress over, ordered the client a drink and another for himself, then he returned to his seat. The client, a portly looking Bith, picked up a menu and began scanning through the contents.

"Any suggestions," the client asked.

"If you like shellfish, well I highly recommend that."

"So what is the purpose behind this meeting," Tion said jumping right into the business act.

Traditionally, when a meeting with a client was penciled in he had some kind of idea where the direction was going. With this client, he was rather secretive and the only information he had given was his name and time and place for the meeting. Tion was a smart Munn, never taking uncalculated risks, so he had some investigating done on this client. To his surprise, he found this man was beyond the label of filthy rich. But he was curious as to why this man had chosen TDI for a contract; considering this client's reputation was known for dealing with a different brand of companies. Mainly those that wished to make products without their name attached to them.

"Straight to the pointe. I applaud such tactics," the man replied before shuffling some shellfish into his mouth.

"I am well aware of the investigation you had conducted on me. Again, I applaud your tactics. I feel it is time for me to change my reputation or better yet, change how the galaxy perceives me."

"Oh? Why the sudden change in morality," Tion asked.

"Because Mr. Dr'iol, I'm dying."

"Dying?"

Tion eyed the man concluding he looked as healthy as he did, despite the gross difference in ages. Tion took a small pull from his glass, washing the wine around the inside of his mouth before swallowing it down.

"You seem rather healthy to me."

"Appearances can be quite deceiving Mr. Dr'iol. I would know about such deceptions. But it's what is on the inside that is killing me."

Tion sat there quietly as he ate his meal, while giving the client time to eat his; and decide if Tion was worth explaining the cause of his impending death. Tion ordered a another round of drinks when the waitress came to check on them, and turned to the client and saw him smiling.

"I have a rare disease. According to my personal medical staff, it is untreatable but they assure me they can prolong my life alittle longer. I'm not sure if living longer is feasible to accept. That is where you come in Mr. Dr'iol."

"Me? I don't understand how I fit in to this. I thought we were here to discuss a contract of sorts."

"And we are."

Tion stared at the client, an expression of confusion on his face. Somewhere, out there, the meaning or purpose of this get together was lost in translation. How was TDI going to help this dying man? More to the pointe, why was this dying man wanting the help from a company that made weapons and starships? Last he checked, none of his companies dealt with the field of medicine. To his knowledge, he knew no company that focused on the medical industry.

"Okay. I'll bite. How can TDI helping a dying man's wish," he asked arching up an eyebrow.

"Very simple, Mr. Dr'iol. I would like to donate a substantial amount of credits into your research."

"I see. And please tell me, which research would that be?"

"The sensor mask and the optical shield your esteem engineer is working on," came the reply.

Tion's mouth dropped so fast that he had to catch it with a hand before it crashed onto the table. He tried to speak and found he couldn't find the words. He shook his head a couple of times, hoping he misheard what this man had said. However, the more he looked at the client, the more at a loss of words he became.

"Mr. Dr'iol, I can make inquiries myself. There is nothing my stretching arms do not reach."

"Uhm....ok. There has to be a catch. What do you want in exchange for your kind-hearted donation?"

A veil of silence fell between the two, while both continued to partake in their food and drink. Tion never took charity lightly; for everything had either a price or a catch. And he felt it was the latter that was coming his way. This client was well known in certain circles for making good looking deals but he always ensured there was a catch. And Tion suspected this would be no different.

"There is no catch...well maybe one tiny catch," the client said.

"Let's hear it," Tion said rubbing the bridge of his nose.

"I have a son. He is quite intelligent and he is an excellent engineer. However, recent trouble with the law has set his career into a downward spiral."

"I see. And you want me to give him a job at TDI in exchange for your financial support, correct?"

"Yes."

Tion wasn't in the habit of just hiring any engineer for TDI. He had a strict policy that he upheld for every interview he conducted. Plus, if this client's son was a lawbreaker; it might not be wise to hire him on. However, he too had broken the law once and his former boss had taken a chance on him.

"Have your son send me his credentials at the TDI headquarters. I'll find something useful for him."

"And expect my contribution before the end of the day."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom