Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I Need Reviews.

So... I’ve been struggling over the last few months to work out where I’ve been going wrong. Threads dying, people bailing on plots... The usual.

I’ve been thinking that it’s my writing. That maybe it’s chit or my characters are just not interesting enough.

I need some feedback. So hit me hard and don’t be afraid to go for the knockout. If I’m chit, I’d rather know now.

Danielle Mueller

D
Redd Redd

I've only had the pleasure of Aadya Volke's company, I believe, but never once have I ever thought you were a bad writer in any sense. I'm pretty sure we only shared the one thread between Aadya and Dee, which is silly given how fond I am of you, but I enjoyed it while it lasted.

Unfortunately, in my experience, threads tend to fizzle out more often than they do get seen through to their end and I wind up just rolling with the punches and moving on. This year's also been a right mess, and I'm currently on a semi-loa but I'd be more than happy to thread together more when we get the chance. Either with Dee or any of my alts really.

Not much feedback at the moment, other than showing some love. We'll have to make something new so I can criticize you :p

Redd Redd

I've never written with you before, interacted with you, or even read any of your posts until now. I'll offer a fresh perspective from those that may write with you frequently: it might not even be a you thing at all.

This year has been a rather terrible one, one that's contained a pandemic, social issues and a heap of other troubles that may catch your partners off guard in real life. Not to mention that it's currently the holiday season and many folks are taking a break from writing to spend time with friends and loved ones, so it's natural that muse and interest in threads die when people look away from the screen.

I'll say that your prose and method of executing a narrative are pretty great and far better than the average roleplayer, so I highly doubt someone would drop a thread because of how you write. A good question I ask myself often is why I write something. Solid characters should have hopes, dreams, fears, and all of that stuff we have. I strongly believe that forming a habit of reflecting on who your character is and figuring out why they do things is an excellent thing to do before even typing a single word - something that may benefit you if you don't do this already.

And to follow up on the above paragraph, think about the other writer and their character: what do they want to gain from this story? What do they want to see? I think interest dies a lot in threads when not everyone is having fun or obtaining anything of worth from it. Some folks really enjoy the more martial, combative stories that focus on personal struggle in battle. Others may really enjoy romantic escapades and deeply emotional stories. Sometimes it's worth asking what other folks like (which is something I need to do more often too)!

To sum it all:
  • It could just be IRL stuff. 2020 has been a hell of a year.
  • Consider your character's goals, aspirations, and personality often.
  • Consider your partner's (and their character's) goals, aspirations, and personality often.
I hope this was helpful!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom