Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Holocrons and Development Threads

Alright, so I'm gonna be that guy (girl) who brings up the holocron debate again.

They're difficult things to create, yet people (I've been guilty of the same in the past) seem to pull them from thin air. I'm not talking about canon ones, since 99.9% of those are already claimed, so good luck getting your hands on them. I'm simply talking about player-made holocrons.

I feel like they should require a development thread and a proper submission, so that we can properly outline what lies within. Does the character themselves have a good enough understanding of a skill/piece of knowledge to be able to coherently place it into a holocron and then pass it on for someone else to learn from? Can they even muster up the ability to create the holocron itself?

Just a thought. I know there'll be people who disagree, but such is life.

Jyn Sol said:
Alright, so I'm gonna be that guy (girl) who brings up the holocron debate again.

They're difficult things to create, yet people (I've been guilty of the same in the past) seem to pull them from thin air. I'm not talking about canon ones, since 99.9% of those are already claimed, so good luck getting your hands on them. I'm simply talking about player-made holocrons.

I feel like they should require a development thread and a proper submission, so that we can properly outline what lies within. Does the character themselves have a good enough understanding of a skill/piece of knowledge to be able to coherently place it into a holocron and then pass it on for someone else to learn from? Can they even muster up the ability to create the holocron itself?

Just a thought. I know there'll be people who disagree, but such is life.

http://starwarsrp.net/topic/49109-standardization-of-dev-threads/

I know there has been a lot of questions and confusion on what needs a dev thread, should I do a dev thread, why is this judge asking me to do a thread? So I'm putting out there what guidelines the FJs have been following. I thought it was silly to just have the FJs know whats going on, you guys need to know as well. Hopefully this helps with the confusion and the WIPs that sit in factory and wait because the submitter now has to take the time to write a dev thread that could have been written before making the submission. Still a Judge reserves the right to ask for a dev thread for something ambitious that isn't on this list so please be aware of that. Any questions please inbox me and I'll answer there - I'd like to keep this thread clutter free.

Other than that, here is a rough standardization of what needs a dev thread.

Factory Dev Thread Guide
  • Anything created with restricted Items. ( IE A. The mining resource thread or B. Link to purchase of restricted item along with the sellers original resource mining thread.)
  • Anything beyond a canon precedence that does not have at the very least, three reasonable and balanced weaknesses to prevent powergaming.
  • Flagships. ( details here )
  • Stealth Tech.
  • Powerarmor.
  • Force Artifacts or Holocrons ( Not including personal holocrons).
  • Any item that is alchemized beyond an existing canon precedent.
  • Any Force nullification items without reasonable weaknesses.
  • Moving / creating of a new Company Headquarters.
  • To start a subsidiary of a Tier V+ company at III.
  • To start a company with an abnormal amount/unrelated operations.
  • To become the owner of a canon company.

As it stands, if you want to get your own personal holocron approved, you still gotta show some level of reason on what is in it.

Links to thread where that knowledge is found is great and even encouraged.

But as of now, there is no difference in making a ten post thread to create a standard holocron or not.

Ultimately, you will need to provide some measure of link for anything OP in it.

[member="Cira"]

HOLY MOTHER OF YES! (Chaos didn't have this when I was on Staff, for clarification)

However, there's still the issue of personal ones.

EDIT: I know that personal holocrons rarely contain anything that can really be learned from (eg: powers, skills, w.e) but the technology itself is what I'm calling out too. It's not easy to make a holocron, someone could just as easily use a standardized datacron - which can simply be purchased - if they want to jot down their family legacy.

[member="Jyn Sol"]

While it is difficult to create a personal holocron, there really is no difference from one self making it or having an npc make it.

Ultimately, it is a medium to store whatever items a person may want (Just with a fancy gatekeeper). I think it is also that not many people realize there are datacrons available to them -- however a datacron can at least be accessed by an NFU.

To start saying that a person needs to do a dev thread to simply create a personal holocron that has whatever skill they have or desire or legacy is a bit too much to make it a standard. Truth be told, if anyone actually wanted to go all out, the ones who would even bother making a holocron would likely make a dev thread anyways for the rp.

If they want to have something super OP or perhaps create something beyond a personal holocron, okay I can understand the dev thread.

But for something personal? Nah. That's like asking for a dev thread for creating your own personal lightsaber.

Let's see what holocrons we have so far:

Personal Holocrons.
  1. The Holocron of The Emperor
  2. Holocron of Dark Lord Vintitus
  3. Holocron of Ben Watts
  4. The Holocron of Velok
  5. Moridins Holocron
  6. The Varanin Holocron
  7. Kerrigan Holocron
  8. The Phylis Holocron
  9. Ayden Cater's Holocron
  10. The Holocron of Kaine Zambrano
  11. Vosra Holocron
  12. The Merrill-Blake Star Map
  13. The Dark Man's Holocron
  14. Hasjo Hallu's Holocron
  15. The Holocron of Darth Metus
  16. Mikhail Shorn's Holocron
  17. Bethany Kismet's Holocron
  18. Holocron of Darrel Folidaar

Dev Thread - Faction holocron Templers
  1. The Holocron of Master Wyzen
  2. The Holocron of Darth Kaiser (Re-Submission)

Faction holocron - No dev thread
  1. The Apocrypha of the Horde

Reward holocrons
  1. Apostate Holocrons

So 22 holocrons so far through the factory since it opened in Mar 2013. Not too shabby actually. That's like one holocron a month with only 18 being personal holocrons; plus the majority are masters of their craft and skilled.

As it is, because of that, I don't see the benefit of adding a dev thread restriction for a personal holocron to be crafted. A major artifact or holocron for teaching a faction? Okay, yeah that would require one.

[member="Cira"]

But many of these have difficult skills/powers contained within them. Just Ben Watts' one has an intro to Force Light and Precognition within it, for whoever finds it to learn from. I just feel like if it has some sort of notable skill/force power/whatever in it, then there should be something to back up not only that character's ability to use it, but their ability to coherently note it down in a way that someone could successfully learn from it.

[member="Mysa Snowstrider"]

Cira said:
As it stands, if you want to get your own personal holocron approved, you still gotta show some level of reason on what is in it.

Links to thread where that knowledge is found is great and even encouraged.

But as of now, there is no difference in making a ten post thread to create a standard holocron or not.

Ultimately, you will need to provide some measure of link for anything OP in it.

The FJ for anything overpowered will still require to be put against the factory dev guide posted : Still a Judge reserves the right to ask for a dev thread for something ambitious that isn't on this list so please be aware of that.

Alright, so it's back to the prerogative of the Judge where this sort of thing is concerned. Not a perfect system, but I suppose it will do. Especially given, as you've shown, how few holocrons are actually submitted. Just don't want anything going uncaught that's ridiculous yno.

You can close this topic or w.e.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom