Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Development on Factory, Codex, etc. roleplay.
Many years ago…

The package arrived the morning before the meeting. After weeks of waiting, Kassogtha Cthylla had barely half an hour to figure out how to use its contents. She rushed into the ‘fresher and tore the box open. Pieces of plastic soon littered the floor. For something so small, it sure was wrapped up in a lot of packaging.

Finally, a small and intricate silver case containing a pair of delicate false eyelashes lay in her grasp. She turned it over in her pseudopods, not so much admiring the lovely design as trying to figure out how to get it open as fast as possible. She read the instructions on the label. Where was the adhesive? She hunted through the packaging until she found the elusive tube, then unscrewed the cap and squirted some onto one of the strips—oh no, she had used too much! She tried to wipe some of the glue off with a tissue, but that only caused it to smear onto the lashes themselves. How was she supposed to clean it off now? Each individual lash was so feathery and delicate, and the glue would look so obvious once it dried…

In a panic, she set the ruined one aside and took up the other of the pair. Carefully, she squeezed a tiny amount of adhesive onto the strip. Then, leaning in close to the mirror, she started to apply the eyelashes just above her main eye…

There was a sudden knock on the door. “Kassi!” Dana Lin, her roommate, sounded desperate. “How long are you gonna be in there for?”

“Just a minute!” Kass replied. Every mouth on her body was pursed in tension as she finally applied the eyelashes onto her lash line. Giving it an experimental flutter, she leaned back to survey her reflection from a distance.

Hurry up!

“Give me a break, okay?” She opened a drawer and began hunting for her other cosmetics. Finding the body paint, she leaned toward the mirror and began dabbing designs around her eyes, the colors forming delicate patterns. “I’ve got to get ready for this meeting with the ambassador.”

She was determined to look her best.

Master Gavyn Farlander stood at the front of the delegation, holding a gift in his hands. Dressed in pristine Jedi robes, he looked highly presentable, if not his very best. The gift was for the ambassador from Ardentia, who was due to arrive any minute.

Kass was beside him. Her master had noticed there was something different about her, though he hadn’t quite picked up on the false eyelashes yet. He knew, however, that she had not given up on trying to fit in with the mostly human girls in her classes. Compared to the days when she would refuse to soak her hide in ooze baths—a necessary aspect of Pylantian hygiene to keep their hides from cracking, the poor girl had found out the hard way—after another girl had expressed disgust at the practice, painting around her eyes with a beginner’s sloppiness seemed pretty benign.

A sleek starship finally alighted on the landing pad in front of them. Kass waited with bated breath as the boarding ramp extended and the ambassador descended, accompanied by her retinue of bodyguards and aides. Apparently the ambassador from Ardentia was a princess. She certainly looked the part, decked out in gemstones and a lovely pink and white gown. She also seemed quite young, perhaps a teenager.

“Ambassador,” Gavyn greeted her with a bow. “I am Jedi Master Gavyn Farlander. Welcome to Coruscant.”

The ambassador was all smiles as she approached—but then her eyes widened, her smile vanished, and she raised a hand to her mouth, stifling a gag. “What is that?!” she gasped.

There was no denying it—she was looking straight at Kass. “This is my apprentice, Padawan Kassogtha Cthylla,” Master Farlander answered calmly. Internally, he was rather annoyed with the ambassador’s lack of self-control. Was she not trained and prepared to deal with unusual alien species?

“Your apprentice…” the ambassador echoed. Seeming to realize that her disgusted reaction could possibly lead to a diplomatic incident, she quickly added, “My apologies. I did not know. I thought… We Ardentians are a very sensitive people, you understand.”

Kass did not respond. “Thank you, ambassador,” Gavyn said politely, laying a hand on his padawan’s back. “We were not aware of your people’s sensitivities, either. But it was a simple misunderstanding. Please accept this gift as a token of our goodwill.”

Taking the box from him, she opened it, revealing a tiny figurine. A beautiful doll. “Oh, I love it!” the ambassador exclaimed. In her delight over the gift, she barely noticed as Gavyn excused himself and his apprentice, leaving the rest of the meeting up to the other members of the delegation.

Last edited:
“Don’t stew in your anger, padawan.”

Slithering toward the nearest ‘fresher, Kass ignored her master. Soon she found herself in front of a sink, staring at her reflection in the mirror. She ripped the false eyelashes off rather roughly and threw them in the trash. All the money she had saved up to pay for these, wasted. She should have known better.

The paint around her eyes had smeared. She wondered if anyone had noticed. Honestly, why did she even bother? Nobody could appreciate the things she did to make herself look pretty. The ambassador hadn’t even recognized her as a sentient being. What is that? she had shrieked. Did she think Kass was some sort of monstrous pet? A grotesque creature they had brought out specifically to offend her? A cruel joke?

“Kass,” came the sound of Master Farlander’s muffled voice from the other side of the door. “You can't let this get to you. It won’t do you any good.”

He was right, of course. But she turned on the water and began to wash the paint from her skin, pretending she hadn’t heard him.

The door opened. Kass instinctively shrank into the corner, trying to avoid being seen. At least, until she saw Farlander’s reflection in the mirror. “M-Master!” she gasped. “This is the women's room!”

“Relax, there’s nobody else in here,” he pointed out.

Just then, the door opened again. A woman started to enter, froze upon seeing a squat salamander-like creature and some sort of tentacled alien blob turning to stare at her, and quickly backed out.

“Great,” Kass muttered. Then, shame and resentment overtook her again. “You keep telling me not to get upset when people treat me like some sort of monster. Well, that’s easy for you to say,” she spat. “You’re not a teenage girl. For us, looks matter—and I look like this!” She wriggled her pseudopods.

"You know it's not only teenage girls that care about how they look." Master Farlander's expression was somehow both stern and sympathetic. “I’m sure you look perfectly fine by Pylantian standards. Just because the ambassador couldn’t appreciate your beauty doesn’t mean it’s not there.”

“I don’t care about being beautiful,” Kass murmured. It was a lie—she did crave beauty, if only because it was a means to fulfill other, deeper longings within her. But it was secondary to her deepest wish: “I just wish people wouldn’t feel sick when they look at me.”

“I don’t feel sick when I look at you.”

“Yeah, but you’re my master. It’s your job to tolerate me.”

“Aw, Kass.” Master Farlander closed the distance between them, laying a comforting hand on his Padawan, and sighed. “Would it help if you were around people like you? Perhaps a trip to your homeworld is in order.”

Kass hadn’t been to Pylos Satnik since she was a small child, before the Jedi had taken her in. She could barely remember what it was like, though she could recall that her fellow Pylantians didn’t treat her the way Humans and other species did. Maybe that was why it hurt her so deeply—because she could remember what it was like to be considered normal. To not be stared at or gross people out.

“I guess,” she answered vaguely. “Would the Council let me go?”

“I’ll see what I can arrange. In the meantime, are you hungry?”

“Yeah.”

“Where would you like to eat?”

She chewed her lower lips before softly answering, “...Yum Bunnies?” The restaurant was notoriously tacky, but one of her favorites.

Gavyn laughed. “Ah yes, rabbit food. Of course.”

Last edited:
A few weeks later…

“Now, who can tell me the difference between Canon A and Canon B?” the teacher asked, turning away from the hologram display to face her students.

Seated near the front of the classroom, Kass immediately raised a tentacle. “Canon A is the more commonly accepted version of historical events, while Canon B is the narrative that used to be accepted.”

“That’s right,” the teacher said with a smile. “Canon B fell out of favor due to lack of archaeological evidence.”

Kass’ many sharp-toothed mouths mirrored the teacher’s smile, basking in her approval, before she became self-conscious and quickly let the grins drop. Wouldn’t want to ruin the moment.

The teacher continued on with her lesson, but Kass’ attention was drawn elsewhere. The eyes on her back had caught one of the other Padawans, a boy whom she didn’t recognize, staring at her. He had been gawking for some time, his eyes slightly wide and his lips parted. Such a reaction to her appearance was not uncommon, but this guy didn’t even have the decency to try and hide it.

She bared her jagged gray teeth, hoping to scare him off. He quickly shut his mouth and looked away. It was then that Kass found herself staring. The boy was achingly beautiful, with a perfect statuesque profile and skin like clear honey. Her multitude of eyes drank him in before she gave up all hope and turned away. She had no chance with him or any of the other boys here.

“... don’t worry about trying to fill in the gaps,” the teacher was saying. “Historians have been tearing their hair out about the gaps in knowledge ever since the Gulag Plague.”

A file was sent to Kass’ datapad, causing the screen to light up. It contained a packet with information about an essay they were supposed to write. She scrolled through it briefly, a thesis already forming in her mind. History was one of her favorite subjects, and she had always found the Gulag Plague Era interesting. She’d have to hit the books, maybe stop by the library after class and get a head start…

Last edited:
“Face each other. Bow.”

Kass flattened herself against the dojo mat in the Pylantian equivalent of a bow. Her heart was racing, as it always did every time she was called up to spar against another student. In this class they fought with fists and feet rather than lightsabers, but it was still scary for her.

Her opponent, a Human girl with her hair in a braid, bent at the waist. If she was worried about how this was going to go, she certainly didn’t show it.

Technically the students at the Silver Rest didn’t have to learn traditional martial arts, but Kass had signed up for this course on the recommendation of her master. It taught an ancient Atrisian style that had been developed and practiced over thousands of years. It likely wouldn’t be of much use in battle, where the enemy fought with blasters and vibroblades and lightsabers, but with any luck Kass wouldn’t be spending any time on the battlefield. And who knew—maybe someday her knowledge of Atrisian karate would come in handy one day while she was shelving books in the archives.

“Begin!” the instructor cried, backing away to give them room. The girl raised her fists and splayed her feet, ready to attack. Kass, on the other hand, lunged forward immediately, hitting the girl with her thickest pseudopods. Master Farlander had taught her to strike first, and to strike hard. He said that if she wasn’t the first to attack, she would be stuck doing defense. “You’re not naturally aggressive, Kassi, so I have to make you more aggressive,” he had told her early during her training.

But isn’t that not the Jedi way?” she had asked.

The Jedi way isn’t a fighting style. It’s a philosophy. We’re not pacifists. A lot of people get that wrong. Sure, you aren’t supposed to start fights for no good reason, and you should give someone a chance to surrender, but you have to take measures to make sure they don’t abuse the chances you give them. Don’t passively wait for them to hurt you—or someone else—first. Be an aggressive defender.

So Kass stayed on the offensive, pummeling the girl with her ‘pods. Her opponent blocked and evaded skillfully, waiting for an opening in which to attack. When she found it, she got Kass good, kicking her in the gut.

Flopping over backwards, Kass’ teeth clenched. She got up and kept fighting. But during the second round, the girl punched her in the eye. A chorus of gasps and exclamations of “ohhh!” sounded from the other students, who were watching the match from the sidelines.

“Stop!” The instructor got between them. “No hitting the eyes!”

“It was an accident!” the girl protested. “She has so many of them, I just couldn’t avoid it…”

The instructor turned to Kass. “Padawan Cthylla, are you okay?”

Kass grimaced, clutching at her eye. “I…I think so,” she mumbled.

Just then, the door to the dojo opened and Master Farlander entered. He was accompanied by a young man. Kass instantly recognized the boy who had stared at her during history class. The two of them moved to the side, joining the other observers. Though she knew Farlander wouldn’t necessarily begrudge her backing out now, their presence did light a fire under her not to give up just yet. She wanted to make her master proud—and she didn’t want that slack-jawed dork to see her lose.

“I’m fine,” she said, blinking her injured eye. It was already beginning to swell shut. “Like she said, I have a lot of eyes. I can still see.”

The fight resumed. This time, Kass managed to knock her opponent’s legs out from under her and struck her in the chest.

“All right, that’s enough,” the instructor said. “Good fight. That’s it for today. Padawans, you are dismissed.”

Last edited:
Kass walked over to Master Farlander, who stood with his webbed hands on his hips. “You did well, Kass,” he said, smiling proudly. "I see you've been taking my advice to heart."

“Thanks.”

“There’s someone I’d like you to meet.” Her master gestured to the boy standing beside him. “Kass, this is Padawan Oukranos from the Enclave on Jakku,” Master Farlander introduced them. “Oukranos, this is Kassogtha Cthylla, my apprentice.”

"I saw you in history class," Kass remarked, her tone stiff and formal. Oukranos said nothing, but his expression visibly tightened. She couldn't tell if he was embarrassed or scowling.

Like most Padawans of a humanoid physicality, he wore plain brown and tan robes. A rattail braid hung over his right shoulder, while the rest of his hair was short and slightly tousled, like he had done the bare minimum of combing his hair but wasn't vain enough to make it look nicer. Kass still thought he was one of the most devastatingly handsome boys she had ever seen. She just wished he would stop gawking and say something.

“Nice to meet you,” she added, just a little too loudly.

That seemed to finally snap him out of it. “I’m fine, thank you,” he mumbled, then shook his head. “Uh, I mean—It’s nice to meet you, too. Is your eye okay?”

“Uh, I dunno. I should probably go to the Halls of Healing,” she said, gingerly touching the tender flesh around her eye.

“We’ll go with you,” Master Farlander said, leading the way out of the dojo. Kass and Oukranos fell into step behind him.

“You mentioned that you’d like to visit Pylos Satnik,” Master Farlander’s voice filled in the silence that followed. “Well, it just so happens that Oukranos also wants to visit.”

“Why?” Kass asked, casting a suspicious glance toward the other padawan.

“I’m a Pylantian too,” he replied softly.

Oh. “Wow,” she muttered, staring at the floor. Embarrassment suddenly tore through her, along with a new and indefinable emotion. “We must be the only two Pylantians in the whole Jedi Order.”

“Yeah, I guess.”

They were entering a more crowded area, full of students getting out of their evening classes. “Are you going with us to Pylos Satnik, then?” Kass asked, raising her voice to be heard.

“I hope so,” he replied, maneuvering out of the way of a group of people headed in the opposite direction, then hurrying to catch up. “I also came here for training. I was hoping I could—”

He broke off as he nearly crashed into someone walking in the opposite direction. “Watch where you’re going!” they exclaimed.

“How about you watch where you’re going?” Oukranos shot back. But they were already well on their way to wherever it was they were going.

The trio turned the corner which led, at last, to the Halls of Healing. While Kass was being examined by a medical droid, Oukranos checked his chrono. “I have to go,” he said. “Class starts in a few minutes.”

Yet despite the urgency, he lingered awkwardly as though awaiting dismissal. “Okay,” Kass muttered. “See you later.”

Oukranos nodded once, then headed out. Once he was gone, Kass turned to her master. “Is he really going with us to Pylos Satnik?”

“If you don’t mind the company,” Farlander replied, a twinkle in his eye. “What do you think of him?”

“He seems okay.”

“He seemed to like you.”

“We’ve only just met.” She wriggled her tentacles in the Pylantian version of a shrug. “He wasn’t grossed out by me, at least.” Which meant he hadn't been staring at her in disgust during history class. So what was his deal?

“Indeed.” Farlander took a step back. “I think this trip will be good for the both of you.”

"So it's really happening?" Kass felt a little flutter of excitement. "We're going to Pylos Satnik."

"In three days."

"Three days?" she blurted. "That doesn't give me much time. Then again, I don't have to pack much..." One of the perks of not having to wear clothes.

"About the arrangements," Master Farlander smoothly interrupted her thoughts. "We will be staying at a hotel in the capital city—forgive me, I have trouble pronouncing the name. Oukranos and I will share a suite, while you will have your own room."

"Of course." She hesitated before asking, "Will I have to hang around with him the whole time?"

"Not necessarily. But I do expect you not to wander off on your own."

"Pylos Satnik is the safest planet in the galaxy," Kass said. "It's not like we could be attacked or something. There's no conflict or crime. It's not in our nature."

"All the same, I don't want to risk either of you getting lost." He flared his tail fins and smiled broadly. "I doubt Oukranos will protest."

His tone was teasing. Kass rolled her eyes. "Well, I'm not that interested in him. Besides, while I'm there I'll be surrounded by Pylantian boys." She wondered if they would find her attractive. Maybe for once she would be the girl who every guy was trying to get with. What a wild concept.

“Well, I hope you will enjoy yourself. Now if you'll excuse me, I have some business to attend to—and you must allow the healer to attend you."

Last edited:
As a student of the Silver Rest, the Halls of Healing had plenty of data available on Kass’ anatomy and physiology whenever she might need treatment. The medical droid was able to deduce that the injury to her eye wasn’t serious, but their policy required an organic healer to also examine the patient and confirm the droid’s findings.

For Kass, this was the most tedious part of any medical visit. She always seemed to get the new, nervous doctors who were completely unfamiliar with Pylantians and had to constantly reference the textbooks and holograms. It made even the most routine checkup take well over an hour.

This time though, she got lucky. The healer who floated into the room was none other than Rani Baros, one of her oldest friends. “Kassi!” she exclaimed, her voice like the peal of a bright little bell. “How are you?”

Blonde-haired and blue-eyed, Rani was an As-Aki, a species of incredibly small humanoids with gossamer wings growing out of their backs. She had lost her wings in battle a few years ago and now relied upon the Force to levitate around.

“I got hit in the eye during training,” Kass said with a tired sigh.

"Oh goodness." Rani peered at her injury. "Does it hurt?"

"A little.”

“Well, it doesn’t look too serious,” Rani commented, hovering in the air before her as she examined the bruised, tender flesh around her eye. “I should be able to fix you right up.”

Kass watched as Rani alighted on the table, her five inch tall body smaller than most of the medical instruments around her. Though the two of them were roughly the same age, Rani had already achieved the rank of master. Her species’ average lifespan was no more than twenty standard years, so she had matured at a much faster rate and was promoted quicker. It wasn’t just their rank that separated them now—at age sixteen, Rani was already well into As-Aki adulthood. She had a husband and had already birthed several children back in her village.

Still very much a teenager with marriage and children a long ways off, Kass simply couldn’t relate to her childhood friend anymore. But one thing hadn’t changed. The two of them had become friends because they were different, and that commonality still bound them together. Rani may have been small, but her heart was big and she never stopped caring about the people she loved.

Not long after landing on the table, Rani assumed a meditative position to better focus. There was a surge of power in the Force, like running water, and suddenly Kass’ eye was no longer sore. “There,” Rani said. “Does that feel better?”

Kass gently prodded around her eye. “Yeah. Thanks, Rani.”

“Don’t mention it.”

Hesitating, Kass asked, "Did you hear about the new Padawan visiting from the Jakku Enclave?"

"Oh yes, I met him earlier," Rani replied, smoothing her skirts. As was customary among the As-Aki, she wore clothing made from natural materials. Today it was blue flower petals and green leaves woven together with bits of grass and stems. Her tiny feet were bare. "He had an interesting name."

“Oukranos. He’s a Pylantian, like me. We’re going on a trip to Pylos Satnik in a few days.” Though Kass was reluctant to admit it, part of her was very curious about Oukranos. After all, he was the only other Pylantian she had met in many years. “You’re good at reading people. What did you think of him?”

Rani’s expression became drawn. "He seemed... troubled."

"Troubled?" Kass echoed, already disbelieving. With a pretty face like that, you’d think Oukranos would have the galaxy at his feet… “What do you mean?”

“The strongest emotions I felt from him were fear and worry. Not unusual for a young person in a new and unfamiliar place, but these feelings were not superficial. They ran so deep within him that I couldn’t trace their source.”

“Huh. You picked up on all that?”

“I have also heard a rumor.” Rani lowered her voice before continuing, "It was said that he was sent here because his instructors on Jakku are concerned for his wellbeing. Supposedly he has been behaving oddly, and it was thought that a change in scenery might help.”

“‘Behaving oddly?”

“I don’t know the details. But if it’s true, probably something along the lines of depression or anxiety.”

Kass blinked all of her eyes at once. It sounded plausible, based on the limited interactions she’d had with Oukranos.

“Perhaps you could help him,” Rani suggested. "As another Pylantian Padawan, you could understand and relate to Oukranos in ways others cannot."

“I don’t know about that,” Kass said, suddenly feeling very uncomfortable about this whole setup. “If he’s acting weird, I’m not sure I want anything to do with him.”

"You have nothing to fear,” Rani assured her. “As long as Oukranos doesn’t fall to the Dark Side..."

Kass gave her a suspicious look. Rani grinned back. "I did not sense the Dark Side in him. But no one is going to force you to befriend him. I hope you’ll both enjoy your trip."

Last edited:
Kass had one more class to attend before the day ended. She arrived late, but her tardiness was excused thanks to a doctor’s note explaining her injury. If she could’ve skipped it altogether, she would’ve. It was a boring lecture hall hour teaching a subject—physics—in which she had little interest.

Only after she had reached her usual spot did she realize Oukranos was also there. Well, he certainly wasn't missing any of the curriculum so long as he was here. He sat a few rows in front of her and a little to her left. The angle gave her a good view of his face in profile. He seemed just as bored and distracted as she felt, constantly shifting between leaning back in his chair and leaning forward on his elbows in an effort to appear as if he were paying attention. At a certain point he started fiddling with his Padawan braid, pulling it around and across his upper lip like a mustache.

It was quite cute, actually. While Kass watched him in amusement, she heard stifled giggling nearby. A group of girls were also admiring his antics, pointing and whispering among themselves.

Annoyed, Kass turned back at Oukranos—and found that he was staring straight at her. Not at the tittering girls trying desperately to get his attention, but at her. Her skin flushed with unexpected heat under the intensity of his gaze, and she quickly looked away.

The droning voice of the Kitonak instructor suddenly ceased as he paused to reprimand the girls for talking in class. Kass couldn’t even savor the moment of schadenfreude. Slowly she raised her eyes, meeting Oukranos’ gaze. He smiled at her, shy yet earnest and utterly oblivious to the role he had played in the girls' scolding. And despite all her reservations about him, she smiled back.

Last edited:
Chapter 2

The trip to Pylos Satnik had been a long one. They had spent several days traveling through hyperspace just to reach the Outer Rim. Kass hadn’t slept well during the journey, unused to such lengthy space travel. By the time they finally arrived she was exhausted, but too nervous and excited to rest.

Kass’ room (Master Farlander and Oukranos were sharing a suite across the hall from hers) was equipped with a holo projector and other gadgets. Though she had been very young when she left her homeworld, she could remember how rare electronic devices had been back then. She wondered if it was just the hotel catering to the expectations of offworlders who were used to such technology, or if Pylos Satnik had really modernized so much in such a short period of time.

With not much else to do, she turned on the holo and started surfing channels. To her surprise, there was a mix of both foreign and native shows. The local news was delivered in the Common Tongue of the Sashkatros, a language which she hadn’t spoken since she was a small child. She was forced to turn on subtitles in order to fully understand it.

Growing bored, she switched to a music channel. An all-female Arctic band was singing in Basic. She watched the holograms of their sinuous bodies swaying to the beat. Their pale hides were dusted with glitter that looked like sparkling snow and their piercing blue eyes were ringed with silvery paint. They exuded an unabashed confidence Kass wished she had. The song was repetitive and kind of boring, though. Not really her style.

She continued to flick through the channels, eventually stumbling upon a scene of a Pylantian couple strolling along a beach, spouting cliched romantic dialogue. Some sort of soap opera. She was about to change it to something else, but then the music swelled and the male pulled the female into a passionate kiss. Kass had seen Humans express affection for each other plenty of times, but she could not recall ever seeing a recording of two of her own kind like this. The male began to kiss the female’s various other mouths, pressing his lips to each one with increasing fervor…

There was a sudden knock on the door. Kass hurriedly turned off the holo. “Who is it?”

“Oukranos.”

She went over to the door and opened it. Oukranos stood outside, wearing civilian clothing in place of his Jedi robes. “Are you hungry?” he asked.

“I—Yeah,” Kass said. It was past dinner time.

“There’s a restaurant on the first floor. We can eat there.”

“Okay.” Hopefully the food would be good. She glanced either way down the hall, expecting to see a certain axolotl-esque Jedi. “Where is Master Farlander?”

“He said he wasn’t hungry and wanted to rest.” Oukranos held up a credit chit. “He gave me this to pay for dinner.”

“Oh." So it would be just the two of them. "Uh, just let me get my things…”

In an effort to please both natives and tourists, the hotel restaurant served Pylantian cuisine and the usual intergalactic delicacies. Perusing the menu, Kass was delighted to find dishes she remembered fondly from her youth. Oukranos, on the other hand, ordered a simple burger.

They sat in silence while they waited for their meal. Even though he had expressed a desire to talk to her, Kass hadn’t seen much of Oukranos since their first meeting. She figured he must’ve been busy with that training he mentioned. But then he hadn’t said more than a few words to her during the trip from Kashyyyk to Pylos Satnik either. She was beginning to wonder if he was avoiding her.

“So,” she finally spoke. “How’s your training going?”

“It’s… different,” he replied vaguely. His eyes kept wandering the room, though she wasn’t sure what was so distracting about it. Apart from a single male Pylantian, they were the only people dining this late. The tables were lower to the floor than he was likely used to, and they sat upon cushions instead of chairs, but otherwise the setup wasn’t too different from restaurants on other planets.

“Different how?” she prompted.

His gaze slid back to her. “The Silvers are more traditional than what I’m used to.” He probably would've left it at that, but he must've sensed she intended to keep prying, because he quickly added, “It's a lot bigger, too. The Jakku Enclave is just a little underground praxeum hidden out in the desert. We don't have a Council. Master Jade is technically in charge, but we get training from all the masters and knights. I like to compare and contrast the different styles, so I can take the best aspects of all of them.”

“I do that too,” Kass said. “Although most of the comparing and contrasting I do is between what the instructors say, and what Master Farlander tells me.”

“Your master is a little… eccentric, isn’t he?”

“I suppose so.” She smirked. “If it hadn’t been for him, I’d probably be in the Service Corps. I had a hard time becoming a padawan. Most of the other masters didn’t think I was good enough. But Master Farlander insisted that I had potential. It just wasn’t being cultivated properly. He took me as his apprentice, and the rest is history.”

“Is it nice, having your own master? Do you like it?”

“I don’t really know what it would be like to not have a master. But I guess it’s pretty nice. He treats me like family.”

“Did you have a family before…?” He trailed off. “I’m sorry, I don’t mean to be rude. It’s none of my business.”

“It’s fine. My mother died when I was young, but I remember living with my father here in the capital.” She sighed. “He was an alcoholic with a gambling addiction. He handed me off to the Jedi when I was five years old. Said he wanted me to have a better life than he could give, but I think he mainly wanted the money they offered him for me.”

“Have you had a better life, at least?” Oukranos asked.

“In most ways, I guess.” She thought about the Ardentian ambassador, and all the other repulsed reactions she had gotten over the years. Things she wouldn’t have had to deal with if she had stayed on Pylos Satnik among her own kind… “Sometimes I feel very alone.”

“I know that feeling,” Oukranos murmured. “I feel like a freak most of the time.”

Kass stared at him. “How?” she asked. “I mean, you look Human. I figured you would fit right in.”

He shook his head. “That’s just it. I’m not a human, but everyone expects me to act like one. And when I don’t fit their expectations, they think something’s wrong with me.”

“Like what?”

“Well...” He fidgeted with the utensils. “Sometimes a Human will be interested in me, and they’ll flirt with me or ask me out. But all Humans, men and women, look like males to me. And I’m not interested in males.”

An unexpected laugh escaped Kass’s throat. “I hope you haven’t told any of the women that.”

“No, not yet.” He laughed too. “Do they look that way to you?”

“I suppose they all look vaguely male,” she answered softly. “But none of them are interested in me. I look like a monster to them.”

“You don’t look like a monster to me.” His brow furrowed. “You know, having tons of admirers isn’t as nice as it sounds. At least, not if the only reason they like you is because of how you look.”

“I guess,” Kass muttered, not quite believing him. But Oukranos went on.

“People don’t see the real you. They’ll develop an idealized version of your personality to suit them, then get disappointed when you don’t measure up. I’ve had so many fake friends who pretended to like me, but really they just wanted something from me. When they didn’t get it, they turned cold and cruel.”

Was she imagining things, or had the temperature in the restaurant dropped a few degrees? Her gelatinous body rippling in the Pylantian equivalent of a shiver, Kass changed the subject to something lighter in tone. “So, does this mean you’re going to try and find a girlfriend while you’re here?”

He gave her a little half-smile, and the room grew warm again. “I didn’t think of that, but maybe. They’re a lot more appealing to me. Of course, Humans aren’t going to understand that.”

She wanted to ask him if he found her attractive, but she didn’t dare. Besides, their food had arrived.

Oukranos stared at her meal, barely paying his burger any mind. “What is that?” he asked.

Mhari omawamo.”

He mouthed the words. “It smells really good.”

“Yeah, it tastes good too. You can try some if you want.”

He reached over and carefully took a bite. The look on his face was priceless. “It’s delicious!”

She stifled a giggle. But his ignorance was strange to her. How could you be a Pylantian and not know what mhari was? “Where are you from?” she asked.

“Uh, Jakku.”

“No, I mean—what part of Pylos Satnik are you from?”

“I’ve actually never been here before.” He smiled sheepishly. “I don’t know anything about my heritage.”

Well, that explained it. “Really? Were you born on Jakku, then?”

“No. I don’t know where I was born, exactly.” He took a bite of his burger. “I was found abandoned as a baby in a starport on Bardotta.”

“Oh goodness.”

“Yeah. The Jedi took me in and raised me.”

Something about the way he said it made her think there was more to the story he wasn’t telling her. “Bardotta,” she echoed. “That’s in the Colonies, isn’t it? Pretty far from here. Why would your family have traveled that far just to leave you there?”

“I dunno. Maybe they weren’t from Pylos Satnik.”

“Most of us never leave our homeworld. It just seems unusual, is all.” While she talked, she had also been eating, putting the food into her various other mouths. Oukranos watched her openly, evidently quite fascinated. “Did you ever find anything about your family?”

“No.”

“Do you want to try and find them?”

“No,” he repeated firmly. “If they didn’t want anything to do with me, I don’t want anything to do with them.”

“How do you know they didn’t leave you on Bardotta for a good reason?” Now the room felt too hot. Was there something wrong with the ventilation system?

“What good reason could they have had to abandon their child like that?” Oukranos asked incredulously.

“Maybe they were trying to protect you.”

He snorted derisively. “You’ve been watching the holo too much. Real life isn’t that romantic.”

She frowned. “My father sold me for money. But you don’t know why your parents abandoned you. There’s always a chance—”

“Look, I just don’t care, okay?” he interrupted. “I don’t want to know. My parents are dead anyway, probably.” The “probably” sounded like it was tacked on as an afterthought.

“Okay,” Kass said sheepishly. “I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be. It’s fine to ask questions.”

“Want to come back to my room for a little while after dinner?” she asked suddenly. “I mean, to watch the holo? Since Master Farlander is trying to sleep in your room...” The noise would disturb him.

Oukranos considered the offer for a few moments, then nodded. “Sure.”

Last edited:
Kass picked up on Oukranos’ dissatisfaction with his dinner when he failed to eat more than a few bites. She probably should’ve warned him before he ordered a burger that most Pylantians don’t eat meat. Feeling bad, she offered a tactful suggestion: “What about dessert?”

“I only eat sweets on special occasions,” Oukranos said, though his expression betrayed his piqued interest.

“Isn’t this a special occasion?”

It didn’t take much more convincing. She ordered two dishes with mhari in them from the dessert menu, which they brought up to her room with them. Oukranos inhaled his before she even had a chance to turn on the holo.

The holograms flared to life, playing yet another episode of the soap opera she had left it on earlier. She quickly changed the channel, flicking through dozens of types of entertainment. “So, what do you want to watch?”

“Slow down.” Oukranos leaned forward, squinting. “Go back to that travel show. At least, I think it was a travel show.”

She did so, and they settled down on her bed to watch a documentary exploring the geography and cultures of Pylos Satnik. The Loodd tilled their fields of purple grain, raised orchards of fruits and candylike berries, and tended to gardens of edible flowers in every color imaginable. The Sashkatros—Kassogtha’s people—wandered swamps full of bubbling gases, collecting the precious sweet-smelling fungi that fed on the marsh’s decay to sell in their fabulous marketplaces. The Arctic Pylantians built houses out of carved ice and packed snow and rode on the backs of wooly beasts with long faces and drooping eyes. The Bright Pylantians dwelled in caves deep underground, seeing by way of their bioluminescence and worshiping the planet’s core as the heart of the universe.

Oukranos stared at the shots of holographic landscapes and creatures and people with rapt attention, but Kass’ gaze was fixed upon him. Her numerous eyes gave her different angles of his face, with its perfectly straight nose and chiseled jawline.

“When we leave this hotel, we’ll be on a whole different planet,” he murmured, seemingly unaware of the attention she was lavishing upon him. “I mean—we already are on a different planet, but… This hotel still seems familiar to me. I’ve stayed in places like this before. Out there, though, everything is so alien.”

“Well, the hotel is for visitors,” Kass agreed. “Gives them all the comforts of home, a place to drop anchor.” Putting her detailed study of Oukranos’ statuesque profile on pause, she asked, “Are you scared to leave this place?”

He pursed his lips. “I’m a little nervous, but that’s normal, isn’t it? It’s just...”

“Just what?”

He looked away. “Nothing.”

“You’re always saying stuff like that,” she muttered.

“Like what?”

“There’s obviously something on your mind, but whenever I ask you say it’s nothing,” she said. “Or you say that you don’t know, when you clearly do know.”

He looked at her—his eyes were so very blue—and smirked. “I doubt my feelings.”

“Well, stop doubting. You can speak your mind, even if you’re wrong. It’s better to say something than to stay silent and keep worrying, you know.”

He stared at his lap for a few moments. Then in a quiet murmur he said, “I wasn’t sure I wanted to come on this trip. I’m still not sure if I should even be here. Everyone told me I should go, and that it would be good for me. But what if it just makes things worse?”

“What do you mean?” she asked.

For a moment she thought he would break the pattern and actually reveal his private thoughts. But instead he turned his attention back to the holo. “Forget it.”

Kass sighed to herself. She continued to watch the documentary until she eventually nodded off.

Last edited:
The next thing she knew, it was morning—and someone was knocking on the door. Kass opened her eyes, blinking each one to clear it, and looked around the room. There was no sign of Oukranos. He must’ve left sometime after she fell asleep.

Groggily she slithered out of bed and made her way to the door. She recognized Master Farlander’s presence in the Force even before she opened it to find him standing there, fists on his hips and a big grin spread across his face.

“Good morning,” he said. “Sleep well?”

“Didn’t sleep enough,” she grumbled. “What are we doing today, master?”

“You tell me! This is your homeworld, after all. What would you like to do?”

Kass thought about it for a few moments, then wriggled her pseudopods. “I don’t know. I haven’t really had a chance to think about it…”

“Isn’t there something you’ve missed about Pylos Satnik?”

“Well, yeah. There are lots of things, actually…” She paused, then said, “I think I have an idea. Where’s Oukranos?”

“Still sleeping. I’ll wake him.”

Kass bobbed up and down in excitement, but then slowed and went still. “I don’t know if you’ll want to come, master. What I have in mind—it’s a very Pylantian thing.” She lowered her voice as if she were divulging some great secret. “I want to go to the Pits of Yuggoth.”

Master Farlander raised an eyebrow at the ominous sounding name, but his smile swiftly returned. “Well, this whole trip isn’t for me, Kass, it’s for you and Oukranos. I’ll come along as a chaperone.” He scratched his head. “Uh, what exactly are the Pits of Yuggoth?...”

Last edited:
Nestled amid a vibrant jungle, the Pits were cenote-like holes filled with mud warmed by geothermal vents. The churning, bubbling ooze was a dark red color, almost purple, reminiscent of wine. It attracted crowds of Pylantians, both young and old, male and female, to soak or play in the mud baths.

“The minerals in the mud are supposed to be super good for your skin,” Kass explained to a curious Oukranos and a bemused Master Farlander as they stood at the edge of one of the pits. “Especially female hides, but males benefit from it too. My dad used to take me here a lot.”

Cannonball!” a young Pylantian female shouted as she launched herself into one of the pools. The impact flung flecks of mud upwards, splattering the trio. Master Farlander grimaced as he looked down at the stains on his jumpsuit.

Oukranos was enchanted. “I’m going in,” he announced, already beginning to unbutton his shirt.

“Uh, well, if you kids promise to behave, I think I’ll go for a little walk.” Master Farlander turned to leave, using the Force to remove the worst of the mud from his clothes.

While Oukranos went to change, Kass began to wade into one of the less crowded pools, relishing the feeling of the warm ooze submerging her. Force, she had missed this so much. The closest experience she could get on Kashyyyk was making artificial ooze in the dormitory baths, which tended to come out as more of a curdled slime and was always frightfully cold. Then when she was done she would scrub the tub down for the next person—a lengthy process she had to complete every time she took a bath. But the mud of the Pits was always warm, just the right consistency, and never had to be cleaned. She was totally relaxed, eyes closed as she drifted blissfully, when she felt someone bump into her. “Oops, sorry—”

“It’s me, Kass.”

Kass opened her eyes to the hilarious sight of a grinning Oukranos covered head to toe in dark ooze. Only his eyes and teeth were left unscathed. Kass couldn’t help but laugh. “Fantastic, isn’t it?”

“Yeah!” He held out his arms. “This stuff is amazing! It’s so satisfying. I just want to dunk my whole body in it.”

“I know,” Kass said, trying to control her giggles. “Come on, there’s more to see.”

She led the way to a larger, more densely populated area. This pit was more like a swimming pool—the ooze was far less sluggish and the current was stronger. “Go with the flow!” she exclaimed, allowing her body to drift around the hole wherever the current took her. Other people were doing the same, filling the air with their shrieks and laughter.

Oukranos was a little reluctant at first, but he soon loosened up and was swiftly carried away. They got into mud-slinging wars with other Pylantians, games of hide-and-go-seek and Freia Kallea, and competed over who could hold their breath under the ooze the longest. How long they spent there, Kass wasn’t exactly sure, but it was afternoon by the time she bothered to think of the time.

“We should get going,” she told Oukranos. He nodded in acknowledgment and swam toward the edge. She followed him, but as she started to haul herself ashore she lost her grip and slipped against the rocks. “Ouch!”

“Are you okay?” he asked, reaching down to help her.

“I think I cut myself…”

Sure enough, there was a shallow but long and painful abrasion across her hide. “It stings,” she muttered, wincing. “Better wash it clean.”

There were public showers set up for people to rinse off. Kass slithered under one of them and turned the handle. A stream of warm water shot out, dousing her body. “It doesn’t look too bad now,” she commented after washing the wound. A few drops of green blood mixed with the mud below her, but she wasn’t bleeding badly. “I think I’ll live.”

Oukranos snorted before dunking his head beneath the shower. He used his fingers to sift clumps of ooze out of his thick hair. Kass helped him by plucking the last stubborn chunks of gunk from his locks with her pseudopods.

They moved aside to let the next person wash up. Oukranos lay down on a flat bench and closed his eyes, letting the sun dry his skin. While he was covered in mud, Kass had been unable to see him. Now when she caught her eyes lingering over his lean and well-muscled form, she forced herself to look away. People had stared at her all her life, thinking her monstrous—but it was equally unkind to leer at someone for their beauty.

“What a day!” she crowed, sharp teeth bared as she grinned. “I made some new friends. They invited me to go out partying with them tonight.”

At that, Oukranos opened one eye, intrigued. “Would you like to come too?” she asked him.

“Sure,” he replied. “If Master Farlander will let us.”

“And if he doesn’t, we could sneak out,” she suggested.

Opening both eyes, he shot her a skeptical glance. “Why?”

“Because it would be fun,” she continued. “Taking a risk, rebelling against the Master. Although, I’ve never snuck out before…”

“Neither have I,” he muttered. But the faintest hint of a smile curled his lips. “There’s a first time for everything, I suppose.”

He closed his eyes again, his posture completely relaxed. This was the first time Kass had seen him appear genuinely content, rather than troubled and distant. It was as though a great weight had been lifted off his shoulders. Had the mud of the Pits produced this effect upon him, or was it something else?

“What do you think of Pylos Satnik so far?” she asked. “Does it seem a little less frightening now?”

“I was never frightened,” he said. “Only uncertain.” Suddenly he rolled over on his stomach, propping himself up on his elbows. “This world is so different from anywhere else in the galaxy. The people here are kind, but it’s more than that. Their hearts aren’t hard. You can see it in their eyes and hear it in their voices. It’s like… a story I once heard about the first man and woman. They lived in a perfect garden, and they didn’t know evil, suffering, or death. They were good and pure.”

“I don’t know if we’re that innocent,” Kass said, plopping down on the edge of the bench beside his head. “It’s just not in our nature to battle or be cruel to each other. We may disagree, but we always find a way to resolve things peacefully.” She felt a sudden prickling of homesickness, her voice faltering with emotion. “It’s… very nice.”

“Yes.” He uttered the word in a whisper. “Very nice.”

They fell silent, each deep in thought. Then, Oukranos suddenly spoke. “In the story, the man and woman are warned not to do something, but curiosity gets the better of them. Their disobedience brings evil and destruction to the world.”

She waited for him to elaborate, but he seemed to have gotten lost in his thoughts. “Are you afraid Pylos Satnik will be destroyed by the galaxy?” she asked softly.

Though he wasn’t looking at her, she saw a shadow fall across his gaze. “I don’t know,” he said. Then, with sudden coldness, “It’s just a story.”

She nudged him playfully, trying to lighten the mood. "I like you a lot, Oukranos. I want us to be friends."

Startled, he asked, "But why?"

She laughed. "Why not?"

He hesitated for a moment, then finally replied, “Sure. We can be friends.”

Friends. She didn't have many of those, which made every connection forged all the more precious. Oukranos may have been a little closed off, but he had willingly interacted with her more in a few days than most other Padawans did in a year.

"Not just on this trip,” she quickly added, thinking of how she and Rani had grown apart. “I want us to stay friends after we leave."

"We can keep in touch,” Oukranos agreed. "I don't use social media much, but I can give you my holo contact."

"Will you visit me every now and then? I can visit you, too. I've always wondered what the Jakku Enclave was like."

He gave her a little smile. "You'll need special clearance to know its location. But I'm sure it will be easy to get. I'll vouch for you."

Last edited:
They found Farlander some ways away from the Pits. Having scrubbed his clothes clean of mud, he was now meditating, his body levitating in the lotus position. The sight of him floating had drawn the attention of a few curious Pylantian onlookers, who viewed him from a respectful distance.

“Master Farlander.”

At the sound of Kass’ voice, the Jedi Master’s eyes opened. “Ah, there you are,” he said, his webbed feet alighting on the ground once again. “Did you enjoy yourselves?”

“Very much.” Kass waited until they had walked away from the bystanders before she added, “I’ve been invited to a party tonight.”

“A party? With whom?” As she explained the circumstances, he seemed to grow more skeptical and suspicious. “These people are strangers you just met?”

“No one is a stranger on Pylos Satnik,” she replied. “There’s nothing to be afraid of, master. No one would ever even think to do us harm.”

“How can you be sure?”

“It’s not in our nature.”

“So you say.” Farlander frowned, his expression contemplative. “Would you object to my coming with you?”

“Yes.”

“Why?”

“Because you’d get tired and we’d have to leave early.”

He chuckled at that. “You know me well. All right, Kassi, Oukranos. You two may go to the party—so long as you promise not to stay out too late, and call me if anything comes up.”

They both agreed to these terms, and the trio headed back to the hotel.

Last edited:
Back at the hotel, Kass once again found herself alone in her suite. Though they had spent most of it at the Pits, it had been a very good day, she thought—and it was only the first day of the trip. They were certainly off to an excellent start.

As she waited for night to fall, listening to the drone of the holo and trying to rest before the party, her thoughts became preoccupied with odd visions of doom and gloom. What if she embarrassed herself? What if they didn’t actually like her? What if Oukranos didn’t like them?...

She must have somehow drifted off to sleep, because she awoke to her datapad vibrating. Oukranos had sent her a message: When should we leave?

Reading the words sent a thrill through her, but also made her terribly nervous. After taking a few moments to compose herself, she rapidly typed out a response: Meet me in the lobby in fifteen minutes.

As she started to get ready, the nervousness returned. She even felt slightly ashamed. Even though Master Farlander had given his permission, she couldn’t shake the feeling that she was breaking some rule. Her lack of a social life back home meant that she had no reason to attend parties—this would be the first time she even attempted such a thing, let alone with a boy. Maybe that was the unspoken law of the universe: Kassogtha Cthylla is never to have nice things, ever.

With nearly five minutes to spare, she headed down to the lobby. Oukranos was waiting for her as soon as the doors to the lift opened. He was dressed in civilian clothes which marked him as a tourist, but not a Jedi. Without saying a word, he reached for one of her tentacles and pulled her outside.

The night air was cool and fragrant with native flowers. They made their way down the boulevard, crossing streets which were still lively and bustling with activity. R’lyeh, the capital of Pylos Satnik, was still relatively primitive compared to the rest of the galaxy. Nowhere was this more apparent than in their means of travel. If the Pylantians weren’t walking or slithering to their destinations, they would ride around the city on the monorail. If they needed to traverse a great distance which would take several hours or days on foot, they could purchase a cabin on a floating airship. The latter was still considered a very fine way to get around and unlikely to be upstaged by airspeeders anytime soon.

“Did your friends say where they were going?” Oukranos asked.

“We’re going dancing!” she replied, breathless and giddy as they hurried along. The colored lights were so beautiful, and she could hear music in the distance. Not the throbbing, primal beat of a Coruscanti nightclub, but something sweeter and more elegant.

They turned a corner and found themselves standing before a group of Pylantian youths. Upon spotting Kass, they waved him over with whistles and cheers.

“Hi Kassogtha!” an iridescent female (Kass had quickly pegged her as the leader of the group) cooed in greeting. “Who’s your friend?”

“This is Oukranos,” she introduced him. “He’s a Jedi Padawan like me.”

Oukranos gave a stiff wave. He was introduced to each member of the group in rapid succession. The group leader was named Yshiba. She fixed her gold-flecked gaze upon Oukranos. “A handsome name for a handsome boy,” she said, extending her tentacle. “May I?”

He gave her his hand—and went very still when she brought it to one of her mouths and pressed her lips to his knuckle. Yshiba was very beautiful even by Pylantian standards, her hide a rainbow of radiant colors. After kissing his hand, she whispered something in his ear. Kass watched them, feeling as if a vice had closed around her heart, before she found herself swept up by a gaggle of Pylantian girls.

“Want to get your hide painted for the dance?”

“Do you have eye piercings? Never mind, you don’t have to. Or you could get them pierced!”

“I have some extra rings, they’re super cute!”

Forcing thoughts of Oukranos down, Kass hesitated. She knew they meant well. In fact, there was something touching about their desire to glam her up for the dance. Really, what did she have to lose?

“...Okay.”

As soon as she gave her consent, she was promptly whisked into a nearby beauty parlor. The shop was busy, filled with the clatter of brushes in paint pots and the wet slimy sounds of ooze baths. Most of the clientele belonged to the same class as her companions—young, beautiful females on their way to the dance. Instead of the harsh chemical stink she expected from a salon, there was an earthy scent in the air suggestive of natural ingredients.

She was plopped in front of a female cosmetician with dozens of metallic rings around her eyes. After studying her new subject for a few moments, she declared, “I think gold is your color. Yes?”

Kass shrugged and mumbled an affirmative. The cosmetician went to work decorating her hide with elaborate designs.

“Which culture are these from?” Kass asked, catching a glimpse of her reflection in the mirror.

“Oh, these don’t mean anything,” the cosmetician replied. “They just look pretty. Doing things for fun is all the rage these days.”

Kass watched her dab gold paint to her skin. Her multiple sinuous tentacles enabled her to work quickly, turning a job that would’ve taken hours if done by hand into a refined process completed within a few short minutes. Then came the piercings. Kass braced herself for pain, but she felt nothing when the needles pierced the soft flesh around her eyes. The other females argued over which of the decorative rings should be used and where (though a Pylantian “argument” is such a polite and civil affair, they might’ve been discussing the merits of different flowers).

At last, it was done. When she turned to look in the mirror a final time, Kass almost didn’t recognize herself. Covered in shimmering gold paint and engraved rings inlaid with gems that sparkled when the light hit them, she looked like one of the Pylantian celebrities she had seen on the holo.

“Am I… Do I look good?” she whispered.

“You look great,” one of the girls replied. The others agreed. “Gold really is your color.”

Last edited:
Their bodies beautified, the troupe of girls then made their way to the dance hall. It was a simple one-story structure, part pavilion and part club. Soft lighting and that lovely elegant music—played by a live band—gave the place a dreamy feel. Since it was a nice night with a balmy breeze, dozens of Pylantians milled about outside, talking and drinking and laughing.

The girls met up with the boys at the entrance. Those who were courting quickly paired off with their dates, making their way over to the tables or out onto the dance floor.

Kass scanned the crowd for Oukranos, calling out his name—and then suddenly he was right in front of her. She nearly gasped. He seemed to have been put through a similar initiation: his offworlder clothes had been replaced by an outfit more in line with the fashions worn by the other young males. It was colorful and sensual and…

“You look really nice,” he said.

“Thanks,” Kass nearly squeaked. “You look really nice yourself.”

He blushed and rubbed the back of his neck, one arm still covering his chest. “Yshiba picked the clothes out,” he said.

“Oh.”

“I don’t feel like myself,” he muttered. “I don’t know if I can do this.”

Kass didn’t know what to say. He looked gorgeous, but if he didn’t like it… “We could leave if you wa—”

Just then Yshiba emerged from the throng, flashing a dozen charming smiles at Oukranos. “Pardon me if I’m interrupting,” she said, turning to Oukranos. “Would you like to dance?”

“I don’t know how,” came his stiff reply.

Yshiba kept on smiling. “That’s all right. I can teach you.” She coiled a tentacle around his arm and pulled him out onto the dancefloor.

Last edited:
The dance floor was inside the hall, a vast open space filled with people moving. As they entered, the music from the orchestra became more energetic. The style of dance that the Pylantians were doing matched this new beat, jumping and swinging to the rhythm.

Mlaj guided her through the steps, and Kass found it wasn’t as difficult as she feared. Once she got the hang of it, she moved like she’d known how all along.

As the song came to an end and the crowd clapped and cheered for the performance, Mlaj leaned toward her. “Are you thirsty?”

Now that he mentioned it, she was. “Yeah.”

“I’ll go get us some drinks.” With that, he disappeared into the crowd.

Kass found herself alone. She moved off the dance floor as another song started, this one slower in pace. Scanning the room, she spotted Oukranos sitting at a table with a plate in front of him. Only scraps remained of whatever he had eaten.

“How was the food?” she asked upon approaching him.

“Good,” he answered.

“Are you enjoying yourself?”

“I think so. What about you?”

He shrugged. “I don’t like crowds.”

“Aren’t you the one who made friends with these people in the first place?”

“They’re only acquaintances.” He looked around. “Where’s your friend?”

“He’s only an acquaintance.” She grinned. “Do you want to dance?”

Oukranos didn’t answer. Concerned, she leaned in a little more so they could have some semblance of privacy. “Is something wrong?”

He sighed. “I’m just being stupid.” Rising from his chair, he added, “Let’s dance.”

They moved out onto the floor. Neither one knew what they were doing when it came to slow dances, but it was easy enough to copy the people around them. Oukranos seemed to relax once it was just the two of them together, even pulling her a bit closer. Kass liked the intimacy of it more than she was willing to admit, winding her tentacles around him as they swayed.

At the end of the song, they returned to the sidelines—where she found Mlaj waiting with her drink: a sweet, fizzy red beverage served in a tall glass. She sipped it, finding it a little too sweet, then moved it to another one of her mouths to see if it would taste better on different buds. The flavor improved.

“Kassogtha?”

Kass turned at the sound of an unfamiliar voice. A female Pylantian with icy blue eyes slithered up to her. “Is it really you?” the stranger asked.

Casting a wary glance toward Oukranos, Kass curtsied politely in greeting. “My name is Kassogtha. But how do you know me?”

“It has been many years, and you were only a child then, but I recognized your coloring,” the female explained with reassuring smiles. “I am Merithoggua Xukluth. I was friends with your parents. We grew up together.”

Kass straightened, her pseudopods going very still. “I’m afraid I don’t remember you.” Remembering her two companions, she introduced them. “This is Oukranos and this Mlaj.”

Oukranos mumbled an awkward greeting. Mlaj, on the other hand, was friendly and started chatting her up. But it was plain that the older Pylantian wanted to talk to Kass. Kass, on the other hand, wasn’t sure if she wanted to discuss the past. At least, not now. Not yet…

Finally, caught between bitterness and curiosity, she asked, “Are you and my father still friends?”

Merit’s expression grew sad. “Your father passed away not long after you left. I’m very sorry.”

“Oh.” Kass found that she wasn’t all that shocked to hear the news. Her father hadn’t exactly led an exemplary life. “How did he die?”

“It’s hard to say. Things didn’t quite add up. But the authorities ruled it a suicide.”

Kass stared at her. Her father’s death hadn’t surprised her, but the revelation of how it happened hit like a shockwave. For several moments, she couldn’t even speak. “But… But why?” she finally asked.

“No one knows. He didn’t leave a note.” Merit’s pseudopods twisted and coiled together. “I really am truly sorry you found out this way. This is supposed to be a night for celebration, not sorrow.”

“Well, it’s a little late for that,” Kass muttered, turning to go. She knew she was being unkind, but she was too upset to care.

Last edited:
She had to escape. Crawling outside, she ventured into the courtyard before leaving the venue altogether, fighting to keep her composure. There is no emotion, there is peace, she repeated the mantra, clinging to it like a lifeline. But she was sinking deeper into the mire.

After a while of slithering down the streets of the R’lyeh, she realized she had no idea where she was. Up ahead there was a public park with structure similar to a gazebo, made from a substance which was black and had an oily appearance. No one else was around, so she decided to hide there. She assumed a meditative position and tried her best to center herself amid the storm of her feelings.

“Kass?” Oukranos’ voice prompted her to open her eyes just in time to see him run over. “Are you okay?”

For several moments, she didn’t answer. Then finally she mumbled, “No.”

“I can’t blame you. What happened back there was crazy.” He peered at her with concern. “Do you want me to leave you alone?”

“No.” She answered more swiftly this time. “Just sit here for a while.”

He sat, and for a few moments it was quiet. “Can I talk to you?” she asked softly, breaking the silence.

“Sure,” he said. “I won’t tell anyone anything you say.”

Kass wrung her tentacles together nervously. “He’s the one who sent me away,” she said softly. “My father wanted me to go. He sold me to the Jedi Order for gambling money. At least, that’s what I thought…”

Oukranos remained quiet and confessional, his attention fully focused on her. She continued, “He was my whole world. My mother had died, and he was all I had left. Even now, coming here, I thought maybe there was a chance I could find him and wring an apology out of him. Or an explanation, or something. But instead, he killed himself." She scowled, her tentacles writhing in anger. "How dare he?”

She had been dreading the possibility of running into him during her trip, but this… What was she supposed to feel? Grief? Relief? Right now she just felt numb.

“She made it sound almost like he killed himself over me,” she whispered. “I know what the official story was, that he sent me away to have a better life, but I always assumed that was just a cover for the ugly truth. He just wanted the money for his gambling. But if he really did care about me, and after I was gone he just couldn’t live with himself…”

Oukranos reached for one of her larger tentacles, enfolding it in his hands. “Don't blame yourself," he said firmly. "No matter why he did this to himself, it isn't your fault. You were just a little kid. You're not to blame."

"I know that," she muttered. "I just... I didn't think he would do that, you know? I never thought he would kill himself..."

Her voice broke with emotion and tears began to trickle from each of her innumerable eyes. Oukranos stroked her tentacle with his thumb, holding it while she cried. It curled around his hand, lacing its tendrils between his fingers. Smooth and clear as the rest of his perfect skin was, Oukranos' palms were rough from hard work. She rubbed at his calluses, wondering what sort of grueling training exercises had caused them to form. It was nice to think about something else.

“It isn’t really any of your business,” she said softly. “I’m sorry if I talk too much about my problems…”

“I don’t mind,” he said. “I like that you’re honest. A lot of times people just won’t ever talk about the things that bother them.”

Something about his tone and the way he looked away from her made her think he had something he wanted to say. “You can talk to me about your problems too, you know,” she prompted. “I’m a good listener. Or I can be.”

He hesitated, looking at their entwined hand and tentacle with sudden intensity. “My problems are complicated,” he murmured. “I keep them to myself because I don’t think people will understand.”

She lowered a few of her eyes to his level. “I can try.”

Shuffling in his seat a bit, Oukranos eventually heaved a sigh. “I know who my parents are,” he said. “Or at least, I know my father. I know I said I didn’t know anything earlier, but I lied.”

Kass gave his hand a tender squeeze. “Did you learn something bad?”

He nodded dismally. “My father… was the first ever Pylantian Sith Lord. He called himself Darth Eirie.”

“Oh.” It was quite the shocking revelation. “How did you find out?”

“During my Trials. One of the tests Master Jade has us undertake involves the Vallis Animae. It's a Force technique she discovered, also known as genetic memory detection. It allows a person to access the knowledge and wisdom of their ancestors, sort of like psychometry.

“I went into a meditation room to do it. Took me a while to get the hang of it, but when I did… I saw an apparition of my father. ‘Is this my son?’ he asked. ‘This Jedi boy?’”

Oukranos fell silent. Kass felt so sorry for him, she wrapped a tentacle around his shoulders, giving him a half-hug. “What happened then?”

“I snapped out of the trance. I was terrified, thinking he would come back to haunt me or something. But nothing happened. Nobody else saw it.” Lifting his head, he met her gaze. “I’ve… never told anyone else about this before.”

For a moment all was quiet. Something wordless seemed to pass between them. She exuded warmth, and he responded in kind. When he started to lean toward her, Kass went very still, feeling his breath against one of her mouths. He hovered there, unsure and not wanting to overstep her boundaries. Slowly she began to inch closer, eager to close the distance…

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom