Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HIP-14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Intent: To create an ammunition type based on real-world weaponry that can negate personnel armor.
Development Thread: N/A
Manufacturer: Created by ECHO Esprit with extended public production by ReCal Manufacturing
Model: Heat-Induced Puncturing round - 14mm
Affiliation: Open Market
Modularity: No
Production: Mass-produced
Material: Vanadium; Brass; Copper; Detonite; Tungsten
Description:
An explosive, non-self-propelled form of ammunition (derived from the real-world HEAT round), the HIP-14 is a slug designed for negation of the heaviest of non-organic personal armor.

There are three main segments to the HIP-14--the shaped head, the midsection, and the tail.

The tail is short, and fans out in four stabilizers to prevent possible trimming or rotation, as such would reduce the round's potency.

For the cylindrical midsection, a small partition of the bullet houses a compacted sphere of Detonite. This ignites upon contact with the target, causing a vast amount of pressure to build up in the forward chamber before exploding into the armor of the combatant, spraying the wearer with shrapnel and igniting their skin.

The head of the bullet is conical and hollow, lined in Copper to contain and conduct the heat and pressure formed by the explosive in order to increase the explosive surge. A Tungsten pin juts out from the apex of the point inside the hollow chamber. When the bullet impacts, the force pushes the rod downward and into the midsection, igniting the detonite.

All of this is encased in Vanadium-reinforced Brass, cylindrical around the explosive section and conical at the probing head. It is intended for use in Verpine-type firearms, as a rifled gun would cause undesired rotation to the slug, and a traditional powder ignition slugthrower could possibly set of the explosive prematurely.

The HIP-14 slug’s caliber is 14mm, and measures 71mm in length. Due to the head's shape and explosive material, the HIP-14 is capable of penetrating 17mm of solid durasteel armor.

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
[member="Geneviève Lasedri"]
Alright, first off, my apologies for not getting to this sooner. Work, holidays, and EVE online sucked my soul and free time away until now. Let's get started.

Alright, first off we have the materials. Vanadium, Copper, and Chepatite. Since you're using them, I'm assuming you've researched them on Wookieepedia. Chepatite is Star Wars only and copper is self explanitory. That said, Vanadium is both a Star Wars and IRL material.

Vanadium is generally used to strengthen a steel alloy to make it stronger and more durable. For example, we use it in critical components as a steel alloy for things like vehicle axles, gears, tools, and the like. It's also used for creating sulfuric acid. Now, pure Vanadium is highly malleable and ductile like the wookiee said, but when compared to regular materials like lead or steel, its a little more... expensive. I understand that you're trying to prevent the round from becoming malformed in flight, but you could do the same with other materials. What was your reasoning for it?

Moving on to the meat and potatoes, here's what I'm looking at.

Without a Dev Thread:
  • Drop production down to semi-unique as a Tier II Company that is solely designed around medical supplies with hidden weapon production facilities can't really manufacture a complex ammunition type at mass production without proper facilities.
  • Explain more of how the Chepatite explodes on impact without detonating when fired.
  • Explain the penetration power, if any, of the round.
With a Dev Thread (10-20 good posts*):
  • Limited Production is allowed as a dev thread will establish locations manufacturing the rounds, spread of the rounds' design, or establishing the ease of manufacture to allow a widespread source of small production.
  • Explain more of how the Chepatite explodes on impact without detonating when fired.
With a substantial Dev Thread (30+ good posts):
  • Minor Production is allowed with a sizable dev thread detailing how exactly large scale production is obtained through hidden facilities. A couple of ideas here would be creating a hidden factory location, maybe the establishment of a small station tucked away in an asteroid field/nebula that manufactures them, detailing a mobile production base, or explaining multiple worlds and sites that all produce the items in small numbers only to consolidate them into large amounts to ship clandestinely. Anything goes so long as it makes sense.

*A "good post" in my book is generally a standard size paragraph (topic sentence, three detail sentences, conclusion sentence).

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
Alright. Lemme know once you have that settled and I'll get to it as soon as I can. Be warned, though. My employers are having my coworker and I train on a new computer system, so I may be wiped out til Friday or so.

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
Alright, sorry I wasn't able to get to this sooner. Work had me pull three 18-20 hour shifts this week so I've been more or less dead to the world the entire time. Let's take a look-see.

First off, I see you've included the other company that produces these into the submission. That said, the company publicly producing these is a Tier I company at this time. Having owned a Tier I company specializing in ammunition and small arms production, I can easily say that a complex munition like this would need at least another Tier II+ company to mass produce these. In total you've got a Tier II and a Tier I company coming together to produce the ammunition and though the Tier II company wouldn't have the ability to produce in bulk, with the Tier I weapon/vehicle company would have some large scale production capabilities. With that in mind, I'm going to ask that this be brought down to Limited Production. However, if you would like to shoot for minor production, a solid 10 post or more dev thread will do. And, hell, if you wanna do a blog instead, that's fine, too. 800-1000 words is fine. Might be easier and the like. For Mass production, just double the lot, making it 20 posts or more dev thread, though I'll be fine with 1,500 words on a blog. I'm not a mean professor that makes people write essays lol

The only thing I can see that I'm gonna ask be included is a basic weakness indicative of HEAT rounds: angled armor. HEAT rounds require solid contact to effectively burn through the armor on impact. Without a solid, flat hit, the chances of the round glancing off or failing to penetrate the armor of the enemy increase. This will give it some balance from the ability to punch over half an inch of durasteel (starship grade armor, which is what most durasteel body armors are made of).

Once that's done, you should be good to go.

[member="Popo"]

I think you can probably just archive it. It seems like a lot of trouble to invest in something that someone will easily 'handwave' off when I actually get to use it, unfortunately. Kinda disappointed to scrap it after all that research, but RP isn't fun when it becomes a chore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom