Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with Artwork's History

(On a tangent, when did the staffers add the Episode VII spoiler tag? Lol.)

Ahem. Anyway, I am in the process of writing a paper for my art appreciation class in which we had to go to a museum and pick 5 artworks to write about.

Thus far, I have managed to find information regarding the backgrounds of 4 of my chosen pieces...and yet there is one which has frustratingly little on her.

The piece is titled "The Comtesse of Valmont," and it was painted around 1841 by Jean-Francois Millet. Here is a link for it.

That, unfortunately, is the extent of the information which the Internet and every other resource has availed me.

I'm not asking you guys to write my paper for me, but it would be great if someone could give me links to start working with. I mean, I guess I could get away with talking about the art's impression on me and the artist's background, but I would never be satisfied with it.

Thank you!

[member="Ibby"]

Can you not go into the Museum itself and speak with one of their curators? I'm sure there's at least one there who will know about it and would be more than happy to divulge the information they do know to a student. The museum itself will likely have further information on each of their gallery pieces, even if it's not immediately accessible.

edit:

The Link does not provide anything, have you done the proper URL for it?

Here is a list of publications featuring the piece in question. They may have very little of use, but there's a chance that among them there'll be something sustantial;

Title: Der Unbekannte Winterthurer Privatbesitz 1500-1900
Publisher: Kunstverein Winterthur

Title: Barbizon Revisited
Author: Robert L. Herbert

Title: The Connoisseur in America: Barbizon Revisited
Periodical Title: The Connoisseur
Author: Marie-Louise d'Otrange Mastai

Title: The St. Louis Art Museum: Handbook of the Collections
Publisher: Saint Louis Art Museum

Title: Jean-François Millet: Portraitiste
Author: Lucien Lepoittevin

Title: Accessions of American and Canadian Museums, October - December, 1954
Periodical Title: The Art Quarterly
Publisher: The Detroit Institute of Arts

Source: Saint Louis Art Museum

Alternatively you could ask if you can change this final piece to one that can be conceivably written about.

[member="Snowflake"]

I had gone last week, but that was (and still is) the only time I had to go there :( the museum is over an hour away from my house. If I would have known that looking for the painting's background would have been this difficult, I would have asked one of the folks there. However, when I'd gone I had less than two hours to get in, pick 5 things, and then get out so I could make it to work on time.

As for the link, it worked for me o.0 Let me try posting it without the anchor.

http://www.slam.org:8080/emuseum/view/objects/asitem/search@/0?t:state:flow=30ad8a4b-91e3-4e54-b326-0a88fafea808

Here is another link, from a different website:

http://www.wikiart.org/en/jean-francois-millet/the-comtesse-of-valmont

[member="Ibby"]

Well I'd see if you can find any of the books/publications mentioned above online. That or check if your museum's gallery has an online showcase that you can select a new piece from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom