Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Helldrive

Status
Not open for further replies.
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: Greystone Mercantile
  • Affiliation: Greystone Mercantile
  • Market Status: Closed-Market
  • Model: Helldrive Module
  • Modularity: Minimal.
  • Production: Limited
  • Material: Mad Science and Miscellaneous Components.
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Helldrives are arcane devices piggybacking on Hyperdrives to rapidly shift a vessel from one destination to another, using the deepest, most non-Ecludiean reaches of Chaos as an alternative to conventional Hyperspace; since that strange realm does not necessarily correspond to the dimensional geometry of Realspace, thematic or symbolic links between origin and destination is often of great importance.
STRENGTHS
  • Helldiver: Helldrives "safely" propel vessels through the darkest reaches of Chaos (or "Hell"), expediting travel and avoiding crowded lanes.
WEAKNESSES
  • Arcane: Expecting consistency from a realm of spirits is a fool's gambit; oddities are commonplace and can be harmless or horribly deadly*.
  • Lockdown: Since Helldrives piggyback on a ship's Hyperdrive for important functions, interdiction fields can keep them from activating.
  • Infinite Horror: Helldrives produce a comforting "red-tinted Hyperspace" visual illusion; fluctuations may lead to insane crewmen*.
DESCRIPTION
One of the most arcane technologies developed by spirits that call themselves the Shadows, Helldrives allow Greystone and its customers to freely ply their trades without having to subject themselves to the pettiness that is "mortal customs officers". While not as predictable as more conventional hyperdrives, these devices are usually faster, especially when long-distance trips and slower hyperlanes are involved.

Instinctive astrogation, whether from a Navbrain or Force Sensitive pilot, is generally advisable due to the arcane mathematics involved; in contrast to your average hyperspace jump, so-called Helljumps are only occasionally precise - it's possible to end up in the wrong system or even sector.

*Side effects may include but are not limited to insanity reminiscent of "hyper-rapture", demonic possession, space-time anomalies, spontaneous combustion, Dark Side corruption, and existential dread.

Last edited:
Kal Kal

Would such usage of this addition to a Hyperdrive, cause an increase of Hyper-Rapture to occur? I ask as Hyper-rapture is known to only happen when someone stares into the Hyperspace "Tunnel" for too long. But since we are legit following the Footsteps of Doom Franchise and using Hell energy to power stuff, Would there be other symptoms such as this that are compounded upon or pre-existing conditions that would become worsened?

Due to your mention of the last weakness, and it being vague, I wanted to lock it down a little more in what problems it may cause. Secondly, how does this affect Light-Siders?

Reactions: Kal
Vora Kaar Vora Kaar

Good question; I considered mentioning hyper-rapture, but since it's a "supposed form of madness" I opted not to. I've added a little thing regarding potential side effects at the end but placed it in quotation marks since it's not necessarily something that provably exists.

As for lightsiders, I'd prefer to leave that up to them; I quite like keeping Force-related submissions vague, especially when they're mostly fluff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom