Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Helion-class Missile Pod

Status
Not open for further replies.
HELION-CLASS MISSILE POD
jxd2MIZ.jpg

Image Source: Herehttp://cgi.tutsplus.com/tutorials/m...e-missile-launcher-in-3ds-max-part-1--cg-2009
Intent: To provide Mandalorians with a mobile missile pod

PRODUCTION INFORMATION
Development Thread:
  • As Needed
Who Can Use This: Mandalorians
Manufacturer: ArmaTech Industrieshttp://starwarsrp.net/topic/54447-armatech-combat-systems/
Model: Not Applicable
Affiliation: The Mandalorians
Modularity: Yes
  • Can be fitted to most vehicles
Production: Mass
Material: Duraplast, Durasteel, Electronics

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Classification: Missile Pod
Size: Vehicle Mounted, Fixed Emplacement
Length: 2.25 Meters
Weight: 200 Kilograms
Ammunition Type: Missiles
Ammunition Capacity:
  • Surface to Air: 18 Missiles
  • Surface to Surface: 9 Missiles
Effective Range:
  • Surface to Air: 500-10,000 Meters
  • Surface to Surface: 100-2,000 Meters
Rate of Fire: Automatic Burst

DESCRIPTION
The Helion comes in two models, both intended to provide a vehicle with a versatile support weapon that it otherwise lacks. The turret is magno-clamped to the hull of a vehicle, light enough to be carried by 2-3 troopers and set in place, and only takes minutes to make operational. This allows the Helion-class to be carried by a vehicle in its cargo bay, unloaded and placed right before a battle.

The first and most commonly used variant on ground installations is the Surface to Air model. This model operates much like a CIWS, using an automated Droid Brain controlled targeting system, and its own dedicated sensor nodes. The brain works on a basic target identification and engagement protocols. The system marks enemies, and engages highest threats first, normally meaning it targets closest to furthest airborne enemies. Its engagement range can be shortened, and it will not target large ships bigger than a gunship without being manually controlled marked by a weapons operator.

It is able to fire all eighteen missiles at once, or one at a time, or in any number. These smaller warheads are decent size, about the same size as the warheads fired by the RZ-1 A-Wing Interceptor, and each missile is able to independently target enemies as the targeting computer is able to engage twenty enemy targets at once. The system can be set to fire one, two, three, or six warheads at an individual target, depending on what the vehicle commander deems necessary.

The second variant is the Surface to Surface model. This model uses larger warheads, about as powerful as those found on an X-Wing for use against surface installations. These can be unlocked by a vehicles commander remotely, priming them for release and firing. Once one of the vehicle's target designators, or any properly synchronized target designator, obtain a lock, a single missile is fired at the painted target, only able to change flight path if the laser designator moves. These missiles are much more damaging in effect, but have much shorter range, and are unable to track fast moving targets like speeders, but are more apt against slower hover tanks, walkers, and the like.

The pod can be loaded with numerous types of missile warheads, from Proton Torpedoes, Concussion, Homing, Carbonite, Intruder Missiles, Flame Carpet, and Plasma Missiles. These are always the same warhead loaded into a launcher except under extreme circumstance. This is because unlocking the wrong type could be extremely dangerous for soldiers on the ground, and so, only one type of warhead is loaded at a time. As each launcher only holds a set amount, any reloads must be carried by a vehicle or are simply non-existent. Normally, there isn't any additional missiles except for larger vehicles, like AT-AT Walkers which may hold a set or two extra.

Strengths:
  • Missile Swarm: The Missile Battery is able to fire all of its missiles at once, and each missile may target independently, allowing the SAM's to be very dangerous to incoming Air Support and the SSM's to cover a hilltop in explosions.
Weaknesses:
  • Hard Ammunition Count: The Helion-class is external, and isn't belt-fed, doesn't have a reload on it separately, so a crewmember must manually reload it, not something easily done in combat, if possible at all.
  • Low Ammunition: The Helion-class Missile pod doesn't carry a lot of warheads.
  • External Magazine: There is a risk to putting 9-18 missiles on your vehicles roof, exposed to weapons fire.
REFERENCES

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

This looks solid conceptually.

Draco Vereen said:
Surface to Air: 18 Missiles Surface to Surface: 9 Missiles

To clarify, is this an either 18 SAMs OR 9 SSMs, or is it 18 SAMS and 9 SSMs? The description wording makes it sound like the former to me, but I want to be sure about that.

Draco Vereen said:
dedicated sensor nodes
What kind of sensors are we talking about?

Draco Vereen said:
The pod can be loaded with numerous types of missile warheads, from Proton Torpedoes, Concussion, Incendiary, Homing, Fusion, Carbonite, Discord, Intruder Missiles, Flame Carpet, etcetera.

Is this part only applicable to the SSM mode? Or does it apply to the SAM mode as well?

I'm a bit hesitant about leaving the types of warheads that this can use completely open-ended, but I do think it should have some versatility.

Different warheads have different balancing factors, which I could see

As an example, we know that each Discord missile must weigh at least 28 kilograms (each buzz droid weights 4 kg, if each Discord missile carries 7, then it's 7*4=28). So if this thing carries 9 discord missiles, that's 252 kilograms just in the warhead's payload alone, which is more than the weight of the launcher itself.

Warhead weight and size, in the Discord's case, is one of its balancing features as typically not many of them can be carried.

If this follows PLX-2m in terms of options or has six basic options, I'll be sold on this.

1. The Former. Separate Models, One for Surface to Surface, one for Surface to Air.
  2. Standard starfighter sensors have been known to fit on small things like drones. Starfighter sensors or smaller, nothing crazy.
  3. I can see the issues with Discord. To be honest, I searched Wookiee for warhead categories, slapped in the first couple I saw.
Proton Torpedoes, Concussion, Homing, Carbonite, Intruder Missiles, Flame Carpet, and Plasma Missiles. These are always the same warhead loaded into a launcher except under extreme circumstance. This is because unlocking the wrong type could be extremely dangerous for soldiers on the ground, and so, only one type of warhead is loaded at a time.
How does that look.

Gir Quee said:
Warhead weight and size, in the Discord's case, is one of its balancing features as typically not many of them can be carried.
Typically even an AT-AT can technically only carry 4, at most, with no reloads due to weight constraints. Trying to slap this on your average Speeder is laughable. Seeing as they can be carried within, I was counting them as Cargo, regardless of mounted or carried. you can only slap so many things on a truck before it dies. Even a Chariot can't actually carry one. Even with that said, I would say even the Bahamut and Mythosaur wouldn't carry more than 4.

Think
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_81_Surface-to-air_Missile
using a pair of launchers on these.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cargo_Master_Z-12_Speeder_Truck
That was the idea.

[member="Draco Vereen"], works for me.

It goes without saying, but please don't do something overly ridiculous with this, like mount dozens of these on a cargo skiff because the skiff carries 135 tons. If there is abuse with certain vehicle pairings, this will likely be brought back under review.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom