Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship Hapan Type-D505 Wyvern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relina Zhan

Ducha of Gallinore, "Apollyon the Slayer"
Image Source: http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/0/01/Hapan_Battledragon.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20080924224547

Affiliation: Hapes Consortium

Manufacturer: Paragon Enterprises, Olanji/Charubah

Modularity: No

Production: Limited

Material: Reinforced Starship-Grade Durasteel

Link: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Durasteel

Classification: Heavy Assault Cruiser

Length: 850 Metres

Width: 750 Metres

Height: 525 Metres

Armament: 17

Links:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_beam/Legends

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Targeting_computer/Legends

Hangar: 2 Squadrons of 12 Fighters

Special Features:

80 Single Turbolasers on the upper rotating saucer rim
80 Dual Ion Cannons on the lower rotating saucer rim
2 Heavy triple Link-Fire ion cannon on upper dorsal and lower ventral mounts
20 Assault Concussion missile tubes
8 mine tubes (usually loaded with pulse-mass interdiction mines, but Ion and explosive mines are optional)
1 tractor beam emitter
Improved Sheilding
Improved Targeting Computers

Links:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Assault_concussion_missile

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Turbolaser/Legends

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ion_cannon/Legends

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Pulsemass_generator

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Deflector_shield/Legends

Maneuverability Rating: 12

Speed Rating: 15

Hyperdrive Class: 1, Back-up 12

Strengths:
Can fire turbolasers and ion cannons at a faster rate than virtually any warship due to the iconic rotating saucer rim scheme unique to the Battle Dragon design.

Larger, Slightly more heavily armed, faster, and sturdier than the classic Battle Dragon predecessor

Weaknesses:

Slower than other ships of its class

Pulse Mass mines launched from this ship can delay or prevent its own escape to hyperspace unless it successfully clears the affected area

Is weak to fighter attack if rendered unsheilded, lacking point defense lasers.

Description: The Hapan Battle Dragon is perhaps the most iconic symbol of the Hapan Royal Navy due to its unorthodox and unique double saucer design. The original purpose when the concept was developed was to compensate for outdated turbolaser technology at the time. Later retrofits and technology upgrades resulted in more modernised and powerful turbolasers, but the axiom of "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" rang true with the retention of the unique design. The original concept compensated for a slower turbolaser recharge rate by rotating a freshly charged gun into place after the previous one fired. The rate at which the rim of the saucer onto which the turbolasers were mounted rotated thus determined how fast the ship could fire off a volley of cannon fire. Even when the ship was upgraded into modernity, the higher firing rate of the design was considered an advantage.

Where Turbolasers historcally lagged in technological advancement, ion cannon technology had flourished. The result was the Hapan Royal Navy becoming known for its almost excessive use of ion weaponry, since it was found in abundance on their warships. The classic Battle Dragon mounted Ion cannons on the second of the two saucer discs of the ship using the same rotation technique to increase rate of fire with the intention of stripping enemy shielding off in short order as well as disrupting electrical systems to make for an easier target. For larger ships, a triple link-fire heavy Ion cannon mounted on the dorsal surface of the ship just above the bridge would be used to add to the already relentless torrent of weapon fire, shutting it down to be torn apart or boarded if all went well.

For all of the weaponry the Battle Dragon employed and for all the shock and awe evoked from simply hearing the theory behind the design, a single Battle Dragon could not take down an Imperial Star Destroyer by itself in single combat due to the latter outclassing the former in size and number of weapons available. Such a feat required the deployment of many Battle Dragons and support ships arrayed in a structured flotilla, ideally targeting specific points on the larger destroyer's hull to bring it down. During the reign of Emperor Palpatine, such a thing had been done before and thus it became rare to deploy these venerable warships alone.

Historical weaknesses of the Battle Dragon were its engines, which if rendered unshielded (easier to do back in the day when the rear shields were weaker than the front), could result in a crippled ship. Another was its comparative lack of targeting computers, limiting the number of targets to two at a time. In the present era, both the shielding and targeting systems have been improved to compete with other ships of its class. It size has been scaled up by approximately 50% of its original size, paying a sort of homage to the Song Of War, the Royal Navy's former flagship which itself was painted red and was oversized for a Battle Dragon of its day. The result of these upgrades and innovation is the Type-D505 Wyvern. While the Wyvern is more powerful and has a better power generator than its predecessors, the lack of point defense lasers has the advantage of allocating more power to a more powerful ship and the drawback of rendering it vulnerable to fighter attack if the shields were compromised. To compensate, these ships have their own complement of fighters and are still never deployed alone.

The comm and sensor array had to be moved on the Wyvern to fit around it's midsection where the two saucers meet to make room for a second Heavy triple Link-Fire Ion Cannon, thus retaining the omnidirectional suite at the cost of internal restructuring. This was less problematic due to the ship's larger size. The Wyvern's augmented ion barrage makes it a hulking shield-buster that, when deployed in numbers, can stop an opposing fleet dead in space defenseless and quite distinctly vulnerable to turbolaser fire, ballistic ordinance, or a ruthless Hapan boarding party. The tradition of the effective and efficient use of Hapan Ion Cannons lives on in the Wyvern, a model ship for next generation of Hapan naval warfare.

This ship is built collaboratively between the normally competing companies Paragon Enterprises and Olanji/Charubah by Royal Appointment.

Development Thread: If deemed necessary

Intent: being that it's 800 years after the Battle of Yavin, something would have been done to improve a dated, venerable ship design such as this. While not too many liberties were taken, it should represent a better Capital Ship for the Royal navy while still preserving something unique to it. I MAY have written something like this as Alarah Kel two years ago, so if it is still on file, consider this a revision.

Who Can Use This: Hapan Royal Navy

Primary Source: N/A

ADM. Reshmar

Directorate Officer Fleet Admiral SJC 3rd Fleet
RESEARCH REVIEW

Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review

Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review

WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review

WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review

SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

ADM. Reshmar

[member="Relina Zhan"]

Relina Zhan said:
50 Turbolaser Batteries on the upper rotating saucer rim 50 Ion Cannon Batteries on the lower rotating saucer rim 1 Heavy triple Link-Fire ion cannon on upper dorsal mount

A battery is 4 weapons giving this ship 406 capital guns on a ship that is allowed a max of 160 for a balanced ship.
Math
50 turbolaser batteries (50 x 4 = 200)
50 ion cannon Batteries (50 x 4 = 200)
1 Heavy Triple Ion Cannon ( 1 x 2 x 3 = 6)

As you do not have defensive weapons and light warhead launchers some trade off can happen but not to this degree.
Assault variants are allowed more weapons but at the cost of fewer fighters.
We go by Squadrons and as you have 7 per I would suggest you go to 2 squadrons of 12. or go down to 1 squadron and get more weapons.
Or you can do some development for the extra weapons.

So At limited production Bringing the weapons down to 25 batteries each would do this. Or you can take it down to 1 squadron of 12 fighters with 30 and 30 batteries, Or you can do 30 posts of development and keep it as is.

Relina Zhan

Really? I thought batteries could be as few as two and I missed the cap. :/ Okay. Can I get away with changing it to 80 Turbolasers and 80 Ion cannons, omitting the battery descriptor, bringing the number of guns down to 160, but lacking defensive PDLs, keep the Heavy triple Ion Cannon so it's technically 166 guns? Increase squadron size to 12 and knock it down to two 12-ship squadrons? Will that work? o.o

[member="Reshmar"]

Addendum: I made that change for the moment, but another alternative idea has crossed my mind. If I subtract the guns down to 75 Turbolasers and 70 ion cannons, I could add another heavy ion cannon, which would leave me with guns to spare. Hapan Ion cannons, canonically, are stronger than most others, which really should make such a reconfiguration a non-issue tactically. It's still a sheild buster.

ADM. Reshmar

[member="Relina Zhan"]

The Batteries can be dual but have to be listed as such or they will count as 4.

It doesn't have to be exact, you can add the extra triple heavy ion to he 80 and 80. Since it is limited production you get a bit of a bump to what you can have. You could go as high as 100 and 100 with 2 heavy triple ions. That would put you at 212 which is fine for limited production, no defense guns, and 2 squadrons.

One other thing. 14 is not really enough to be considered slow enough to use it as a weakness. I usually use a slide of 2 before it can be used. so normal would be 12 to 13 making 15 what you need to consider slowness a weakness.

Relina Zhan

[member="Reshmar"]

Okay I will make the edits. :3 Duals 80 and 80 and do two heavy ion cannons and 2 squadrons of 12. i ususally go for squadrons of 7 because its in line with the Terminus starfighters I'm trying to get a dev going for (and hoping I don't have to do an episodic narrative for)... but 12 is fine in this sense. I could use the 7-ship formations for specific squadrons or something...

Edit: .... Done.

Relina Zhan

[member="Reshmar"]

Okay... 80 single Turbolaser. 80 dual ion cannons. comes to 200 main guns, plus 12 heavy Ion cannons if each triple link-fire ion cannon is 6 total... 212. I'll go with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom