Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Groundbreaker Droideka

Status
Not open for further replies.
RXviMYh.jpg

Image Source: http://digital-art-gallery.com/
Intent: To provide a heavy assault/siege droid for Confederate forces to employ on the field of battle.
Development Thread: (If Required)
Manufacturer: Haor-Chall Engineering
Model: Hexaped War Droid
Affiliation: CIS
Modularity: No
Production: Minor Production
Material: Primarily Durasteel, Heavier Durasteel plating over key areas such as droid-brain and power cells and across the underside.
Classification: Class IV
Weight: 60 tonnes
Height: 6.5 metres
Movement: Hexaped

Description:
Although named a Droideka, the Groundbreaker variant has little in common with its smaller cousin beyond its insectile shape. Designed as a heavy assault and siege breaker droid, the Groundbreaker has the armour, shielding and weaponry to annihilate entire squads of targets, as well as any light or medium armoured vehicles.

The forward facing repeating laser cannons serve as primary anti infantry weapons and are effective at scything down any infantry attempting a frontal charge, while the mortar pods are capable of bombarding cover where targets are suspected of hiding. The main armament is the light turbolaser mounted on the prehensile tail, and unlike the repeaters is capable of firing outside of the 45 degree arc immediately in front of the Groundbreaker.

The placement and design of the shield generators enables each to support the other in the event of one being damaged, destroyed or overloaded, though the shield bubble as a whole is approximately 60% weaker if the droid is employing only a single generator. Use of heavy durasteel armour across vital areas and the vulnerable underside serves to mitigate against damage to vital systems. The six-legged design also has the ability to cross broken terrain with relative ease, although the considerable weight of the unit prevents it from safely crossing such terrain as thin to medium ice.

In addition to the above, the Groundbreaker has a number of key vulnerabilities. One is that the droid is entirely incapable of targeting a foe that manages to get beneath it, and though heavy armour serves to mitigate the damage such a foe would cause, support would be needed in fairly short order to prevent the Groundbreaker from being slowly taken apart. Likewise, a foe who managed to get onto the Groundbreaker's back would likely be able to cause considerable damage as the only weapon capable of targeting them would be the light turbolaser. Thirdly, as the majority of the Groundbreaker's weapons are forward facing, it has to turn to engage any threats attacking from the flanks or rear with any weapon other than the tail mounted turbolaser.

A key feature of the Groundbreaker is that, when not in battle, they can be stored in pods dubbed as shells or cocoons. These armoured pods can be launched from certain starships whilst in orbit, enabling the Groundbreaker to strike directly at the heart of an enemy's fortifications – and given the initial shock of impact from approximately 75 tonnes of droid and pod, the damage to the fortification is likely to be severe even before the Groundbreaker activates its weapons.

Armaments: 2x Heavy repeating laser cannon (front/'mandibles'), Light turbolaser (tail), 2x Mortar pods (back – sufficient ammunition for five volleys from each), twin shield generators (head and back, interlocking)

Misc. Equipment: (sensors, scanners, etc.): Medium range scanners, advanced targeting systems, multi-spectrum visual systems (thermal/standard/electromagnetic), Orbital drop capability (drop pod shell), EMP shielded circuitry.

Valik

Professor of Alchemy
[member="Salem Norongachi"]

This extremely overarmed. Firstly "Light turbolasers" aren't really something we accept in the factory. Their existences in Canon are scarce and our starship gun count guides don't even acknowledge them. The existence of turbolasers on land at all other than to serve as planetary guns against capital ships isn't something we normally accept, and as such that'll have to be removed. Furthermore, even without the Turbolaser this thing is still grossly overarmed. The AT-AT had two heavy laser cannons and worked just fine as the Empire's heavy walker, heavy repeating laser cannons is a bit much. Not to mention the Mortar launchers.

As for your non-offensive equipment, well, it's quite substantial. EMP shielded circuitry(with no explanation of how or why), redundant shield generators, advanced targeting systems, thermal/electormagnetic vision, the ability to be fired and forgot in a orbital drop pod? Most all of that is going to have to be heavily reduced, if not cut.

Onto your description, well, let's look at some of the lines.

Salem Norongachi said:
Designed as a heavy assault and siege breaker droid, the Groundbreaker has the armour, shielding and weaponry to annihilate entire squads of targets, as well as any light or medium armoured vehicles.

Salem Norongachi said:
The forward facing repeating laser cannons serve as primary anti infantry weapons and are effective at scything down any infantry attempting a frontal charge, while the mortar pods are capable of bombarding cover where targets are suspected of hiding.

Salem Norongachi said:
Use of heavy durasteel armour across vital areas and the vulnerable underside serves to mitigate against damage to vital systems.

Salem Norongachi said:
The six-legged design also has the ability to cross broken terrain with relative ease, although the considerable weight of the unit prevents it from safely crossing such terrain as thin to medium ice.

Salem Norongachi said:
These armoured pods can be launched from certain starships whilst in orbit, enabling the Groundbreaker to strike directly at the heart of an enemy's fortifications – and given the initial shock of impact from approximately 75 tonnes of droid and pod, the damage to the fortification is likely to be severe even before the Groundbreaker activates its weapons.

I understand that it's weapons can only face forward. I understand that you seem to want two weaker shields rather than one powerful one. I understand that it can't shoot anything under it's heavily armored underside. I also understand that it can't shoot things on top of itself without destroying itself. These are all weaknesses.Not particularly glaring ones, but weaknesses. But I also understand that this is essentially an unpiloted walker/tank that can be thrown into a drop pod that pretenses it's actual appearance with a mock-bombardment. After deployment this thing is arguably the most heavily armed and armored tank on the board, able to decimate infantry out of cover, infantry in cover and light vehicles without so much of a second thought. Medium and heavier vehicles might take time, but with reinforced armor on all critical systems there is no way to take this thing down other than just continually slugging at it. Not to mention that due to it's six legged configuration it can traverse nearly any terrain without difficulty.

This thing is at minor production. This thing is, at present, probably the most armed land vehicle on the board. It has a dev thread, limited production, and still isn't as heavily armed as what you've put forward. Ulitmately if this is going to be approved I'm going to require substantial edits, production lowered, the vehicle template added, and a dev thread to go along with it.

I'll get to work on the dev thread bud. You can archive this for the moment if you like, buggery knows how long it'll take me to finish. When its done, I'll fire you a message and then chip away at the edits.

[member="Valik"]

Cheers sir!

I'll get to work on the dev thread bud. You can archive this for the moment if you like, buggery knows how long it'll take me to finish. When its done, I'll fire you a message and then chip away at the edits.

[member="Aaralyn Rekali"]

I'll fire you or [member="Valik"] a PM when its done. I give myself more work than I need to, hey ho...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom