Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grim Decisions

Caius Flavian

Faction Admin - The Galactic Republic
Senate Appropriations Committee

Closed Hearing: 1010.A

Classification: Top Secret

Senate Members: Caius Flavian [Committee Chairperson];[member="Geral Varta"]

Interviewee: [member="Faith Organa"]

Agenda: Intelligence; Paramilitary; Non-Government Military Organizations;

Caius Flavian

It was not often I made my way to Chazwa.
Today though was a special day and I hoped to hold a hearing with our esteemed Minister of Intelligence [member="Faith Organa"].
I was expecting my cohort Senator [member="Geral Varta"] to attend.

My topic’s were simple, and straight forward, as the Chairman of the Appropriations Committee I oversaw managing and allocating our discretionary budget I held a special interest in ensuring that these funds were best put to use.
Intelligence and the art of espionage was something I held in high regard. Years spent as a staff officer in the Imperial Navy under the Fel-Pallopides regime gave me a healthy respect for such matters.

Our recent battle at the Thanos System over the world of Togoria was an example of a recent failure in our intelligence agency. Especially considering the Deathwatch were now fighting for the One Sith with a significant amount of firepower and weaponry at their disposal. However that was just one of the list of topics I hoped to address today.

The problem I had come to determine was not with the intelligence services leadership, but in fact laid with the Senate. I digress though on my own inner monologue and will save it for another time as to the reasons why I feel this way.

I sat in one of the secure conference rooms of the Senate building. I wore my old olive Imperial Uniform without the ranking bars that once were pinned onto it. I wore my red Caridan sash with its honorifics displayed on it. I held the ceremonial office of President of the Carida Republic and her Colonies, one of the few powers I had though was to appoint the Senator. I simply chose myself. The spoils I guess of brokering a peace in civil war torn system.
So atop my forehead I wore golden laurels.

My data pad sat on the oval oak table. Alongside it was my grey steel travel mug, tall enough to hold up to 20 fluid ounces of whatever beverage I felt aided my mood. Often it was filled with my favorite blend of Yavin Green Leaf which thankfully I had managed to get a hold of some other variety blend similar to it though not quite enough of the Jasmine quality I enjoyed...
The room was guard by a squad of the esteemed Senate Guard. Even my own staffers were unable to pass into this secure area which did not trouble me at all considering the amount of ysalmir and security personnel at hand. Plus it mean't I didn't have deal with my constituency for a moment or two.

This would be a closed meeting as it concerned matters of national security interests…
Now I simply waited patiently sipping upon my tea and meditating my mind on the tasks to come.

Martika Varta

Senator, Umbara; Committee on Civics & Infrastruct
"So before we get this started, Flavian, I'd like to know what the point is for you." Martika's firm voice made him known as he stepped through the sliding door of the conference room. He held a datatablet with him, a commlink, and a steel thermos of caf. His garments were a simple grey tunic over charcoal slacks, with a pale green scarf hanging around his neck. He dropped his datatablet on the oval oak table and set the caf down beside it, then continued as he removed the scarf from around his neck and draped it over the back of one of the chairs near the center of the table's length. "I don't much fancy the Alderaanian woman after what her government pulled." Martika glanced over at Caius and pointed, "And she's far too close with those barbaric Mandalorians, if you ask me." He reached down from where he stood to swipe the digital lock on his datatablet's screen. The device flickered to life and Martika reached for his thermos, sipping from it. The Senator ran a hand along his scalp, casting Caius a wary glance. "Let's just be careful, shall we? Spies...are not our friends, and we must reestablish direct Senatorial control over the Intelligence Ministry." Martika pulled his chair out and sat down, his ears pricked for Flavian's thoughts.

[member=Caius Flavian] | [member=Faith Organa]

Caius Flavian

Baby steps Senator Varta, baby steps, first things first my goals here are not to grill or turn our minister of intelligence into some sort of scape goat of the Republic’s greater problems. I understand your distrust,” I paused to look at my data pad as it chimed. Likely from the Minister herself either stating she would not be attending or perhaps on her way

However both of us must remember that if our constituency desired to do the same as alderaan then we would have to follow their wishes” Ironic coming from me of all people. “No this hearing, or the point for me, is to approach a topic that our Supreme Chancellor [member="Jack Sparrow"] had touched on not too long ago.

I plucked my datapad from the table “While the Supreme Chancellor had broached the subject of the use of privateers before my assuming office I have become very interested in our involvement in Non-Government Military Organizations and Paramilitary forces that out there. I’ve come to the realization that although there are those how against the use of privateers. We do in fact sponsor an organization that our enemies see just as we view the Deathwatch
I paused,
The Rebel Alliance” The words coming from my mouth and the topic at hand was a needed discussion. The night before I had honestly struggled to put myself to sleep. I, an Imperial, was going to be holding a hearing in a democratic government about the sponsorship of the Rebel Alliance and others.

The primary topic and discussion is allocating funds to these organizations and I would like to formally hear our Minister of Intelligence’s assessment and work with GRIM to further our efforts at undermining the One Sith’s expansionism. They’ve done an excellent job at forcing our hands at every opportunity and we need to turn this situation around.

I decided to break the formal barrier though just a little “Martika, If you ask me, the fact that you are suspicious of her behavior or the associated history her world has with the Republic. Then I ask you to consider this. I am an Imperial at heart, I was a spy at one point, I’ve fought against the very organization I just uttered. Yet here I sit now a friend of the Republic,” I raised both arms for emphasis to the Conference rooms vaulted ceiling “Just as she continues to be a friend of the Republic

Well that got a little flowery speech time…
I sighed inwardly at the nostalgia of simply being the sum of all branches of government and simply carry out what was needed to get the job done.
Instead though I had to force my way through this bureaucracy and politics.

[member="Faith Organa"]
[member="Geral Varta"]

Martika Varta

Martika frowned slightly, turning his chair to face Flavian more directly as he locked the screen on his datatablet and gave the man his full attention. He had never considered using the woman as a scapegoat, his concerns had never been so personal. The mention of secession, however, was a rather abrasive subject for the Umbaran. He'd been opposed to the allowance of secession by Republic worlds from the beginning, it provided a great weakness to Republic sovereignty. He intended eventually to reintroduce legislation that would bar such actions by member worlds, but the time for that was not yet come. For the moment, he focused on the subject of privateers and support organizations.
He waved his hand dismissively, though his tone expressed the respect he retained for Flavian. "Caius, please. Worry not, my friend. I bear no ill will toward the woman, I merely have concerns. Your actions against the Republic took place before you became a part of it, and you've maintained a great support for this government since your induction. Organa's potentially nefarious activities are taking place while she holds positions of power within our government, and that is where my concern is borne of." He nodded respectfully, "You have my assurance I will remain focused on the task at hand, however, and shall make no attempt to derail the purposes of this meet."

Martika switched gears to address the goals of the meeting. "I'm not privy to the intelligence sect's current activities, yet I'm certain they have remained in observation and coordination with these organizations. Maximizing their involvement against the One Sith is perhaps one way we can erode their expansion. I want to see their government reduced to ashes before my time is over. There is another of these organizations I feel we should consider reaching out to as well." Martika leaned over his datatablet and swiped it open, then pulled up the profile containing all the data he had gathered on the organization in question. He pressed an icon and transmitted the portfolio directly to Flavian's own device.

"CSAF," Martika said. "The Civilian Security and Assistance Force. They're some sort of paramilitarian sentientarian aide and relief organization. Highly trained, highly effective. They engage in everything from establishing beneficial agricultural practices on developing worlds to overt military defense of civilian populations."
Martika inclined his chin as he watched Flavian sift through the data. "They were most recently involved with Republic military forces on Bimmisaari and Charros Four; they were instrumental in eliminating the oppressive USS forces there. Unfortunately there isn't much information on their leadership, this so-called Lord Commander Alena Reckar. They appear to have a secondary proprietor as well, though this individual has remained unidentifiable thus far."

Faith was not a meeting person, it had taken every ounce of patience she had within her being to sit through sessions of the Senate, hell ever now meetings that required her presence for briefings were nail biters.

But she owed [member="Caius Flavian"] he had come for her on Togoria. Her mission there having started two weeks prior to the Sith invasion, after her meeting with The Supreme Commander on the very thing that happened. Feth FEth Feth. They had both knew it would happen they just wished they had more time. Time ran out. And now even as she looked at the map, that small bit of space just got smaller.

The Supply route was in danger.

Damn.

She had gone to Aldera afterwards.

She was traveling too much again, and her body was starting to fight against her.

She kept two of the Aldera royal guards with her as she approached the doors to the meeting. She tipped her head back said a prayer for patience, motioned her guards to stay put and pushed through.

Nodding to [member="Geral Varta"] and Caius. She swept her skirts beneath, and sat down. Smiling. "I was going to bring donuts but I couldn't get the guards to carry them for me. Seems they have a contract that says no donuts" She nodded, "Ok, how may I help my esteemed colleagues"

Caius Flavian

My apologies Martika if that came across as aggravation.” I then remarked on the CSAF
I’ve heard much of the CSAF’s exploits actually. In fact the,” I paused to find the right words for the men I had executed on Carida, I tip toed the next two words “previous administration... of Carida’s government had left enough details for me to know that along with the Republic military’s base the CSAF were using our world as a training ground. I hope at some point to better improve that relationship especially now that the Colonial System Forces are slowly building up” I referred to the Carida systems defense force. It was a comprise for the name to satisfy the numerous states that made up the Carida system’s political structure. “Overall though I we’ll have to figure out a way to approach this Lord Commander at some point. Ah our leader of the GRIM has arrived”
I referred to [member="Faith Organa"] who entered the room with a witty joke.
I chuckled at that “Minister Organa, I’ve been doing far too much sitting so donuts would have likely just helped expand my waistline” I joked a little. Although now that I truly thought about it I really needed to start hitting the tread mill a little more often… ”thank you for coming to this meeting, I know it was a bit of a surprise for this to be taking place but I figured for security’s sake it would have been best to keep such meetings short notice to through off any would be infiltrators are quite serious though as the One Sith's inroads and victories continue to stack up."

[member="Geral Varta"]

Martika Varta

Martika dipped his chin in acknowledgment of Flavian's words as former Senator Faith Organa entered the chamber, quipping about donuts. Martika smiled slightly, and the meeting finally came to a start. "Madame Organa, thank you for your willing participation," Martika added to Flavian's gratitude.

Faith smiled at [member="Caius Flavian"] , "they are in indulgence not a food group, but I understand" She looked at Senator [member="Geral Varta"] she never knew what to say to the woman, she was never very warm no matter what, "not a problem"

Faith exhaled "it is an ever changing state of affairs, and one that seems volatile. I've been trying to get a line on their Intelligence Minister a man whose name I'm not familiar with but sources seem to think Braxis Zambrano is the Sith Intel spinmaster, I don't know I've got an operative working on it."

Were they interested in operations? She had started out as just someone who was accountable in the Senate now she was more and more like the head of GRIM doing the work and paperwork.

"So, you have a question for me I am thinking."

Caius Flavian

The knowledge of Braxis Zambrano was certainly enough to take and chew on for awhile. In fact I would likely address that situation a little later.
Yes, that question itself is a simple enough sentence but the answer I feel will be filled with the complexities that come with being in the Intelligence field. Do you consider the Galactic Republic’s Intelligence Ministry to be currently funded appropriately?”
It was the primary reason for this meeting in all reality. Intelligence was a field where currency was an oil that lubricated the gears of intrigue and genuinely gave the system itself the measured performance based on how well it was funded.

[member="Faith Organa"]
[member="Geral Varta"]

She went tight to the answer

"GRIM budget is based on the last intelligence agency, whose acronym I cannot recall. With Republic resources and an influx of agents I think our budget is sufficient for the moment. The One Sith while still a contender in the galaxy are rumored to be losing momentum, but the rise of the Triumvirate to the south of our borders, we may need to increase the budget to recruit more agents and provide more equipment, and ships."

Faith looked down for a moment, "Additionally the families of the agents that are killed need some kind of compensation for losing their loved ones, that's probably not a GRIM item but it weighs on my mind the losses"

She looked back up at [member="Caius Flavian"] and [member="Geral Varta"]

Caius Flavian

I withheld a rolling of eyes at the thought that the intelligence apparatus's name change.
Tedious the constant state of flux the Republic seemingly was always in.
Likely why I held such Imperial beliefs.
Consistency. Although I guess that sometimes equates to rigidty.
Hmph, debate that.

"That is a reasonable request and certainly a security concern as well. Last thing we need is Sith assassins tracking down family members as a means of retribution. Compensation in terms of funeral costs and perhaps a government life insurance plan is likely the best course of action as a means of compensation."

I spent a moment thinking over what she spoke of the Triumvirate

"It is not unusual to see the splintering of the sith into smaller factions. We've witnessed them rise and fall rapidly in the last seven or so years and even more so since the collapse of the original. Hell during my time in Imperial Intelligence I had surmised that this behavior tends to happen whenever their 'Dark Lord' or cult leader is overthrown and those not on the winning side still alive often end up leaving for a time. Until their collapse it would be prudent to bring on more agents. You spoke of ships... I have yet to actually look through our inventory for stealth ships or survey vessels. Have you determined anything in particular or would this be something you would like of us the Senate to look into procuring?"

[member="Faith Organa"]
[member="Geral Varta"]

"Stealth ships something small and fast and able to carry one or two agents, some kind of personal steath tech to hide them, specialized training that teaches them how to beat, or at least survive and battle with a force user. Seems most of the losses came from them being caught, or in a battle."

Faith had a wish list, this was the wish list. She also knew the funds went into higher priority agencies so she was not expecting them to say hey we have that. She had looked over the manifest of weapons, and ships and had not seen anything that fit what she was looking for.

So what would [member="Caius Flavian"] and [member="Geral Varta"] say.

Martika Varta

Martika listened to the conversation, taking notes on his datatablet while he waited for something in the dialogue to draw him in. He finally found it at Organa's mention of training against Force Users, and chose that moment to interject.
"Madame Organa, I'm pleased to hear you mention defensive training against Force Users. I would gladly support measures that instill specialized training in our operatives, but would like to make an additional suggestion. As you know, I serve as the chair of the Civics and Infrastructure Committee within the Senate. As such I am charged with overseeing the Republic's federal education programs, and have recently been involved with the formation of a system of academia that surrounds the foci of Force Users within the citizenry. We have recently established an institution of learning that provides Force Sensitives with a general education that includes preliminary training in the methodology and application of the Force. Upon graduation, students are eligible for acceptance into the Republic's Jedi Order, further university education or, in the context of this conversation, positions within the government. I think an effort ought to be made to funnel a portion of this student population into work with GRIM as Force-capable intelligence operatives."

Faith listened, "Senator [member="Geral Varta"] if they can pass the psych test because this work can be solitary and play on the mind, I see no reason why GRIM couldn't use them. They'd would be at the same risks as our other agents and there would be no special treatment because of the ability to use the force."

If it was a way to help them get an edge on intelligence across the galaxy, she'd take it, use it, and hopefully never have to write another letter to someone's mother or wife explaining why their son or daughter wasn't coming home.

She looked at [member="Caius Flavian"] what would he say about the equipment?

Martika Varta

Martika nodded and made a note on his datatablet to contact the Order leadership sometime that afternoon and arrange a meeting. "Thank you, Madame Organa," he replied simply, "I would not be overly concerned about special treatment, though task assignment might benefit from a weighted selection method that considers an operatives Force Sensitivity and training." He added politely, looking to Flavian for his input.

Caius Flavian

I nodded to [member="Geral Varta"] "Yes that is likely the best course of action. I'm not to familiar with the arcane methods of the force but a friend of mine had was spoke of the means of 'cloaking' ones presence in the force. No idea how that works but i'm certainly a strong advocate for that to be a requirement!"

"The Eidolon Class transport, designed by Lucerne Labs, should meet your requirements! I also have a few stealth vessels left over from the Imperial Remnant although not quite as stealthy as these."

I looked down to my data pad and pressed a few buttons along with using the stylus to drag and drop the file. In a moment a tight beam would appear which brought up the vessel as a hologram in front of us.

"As for other equipment GRIM should be utilzing military hardware if needed, such as small arms and armor, but as well as covert equipment developed for special forces." I looked up to [member="Faith Organa"]

"Caius the ship you are referencing is classified as a transport, I"m looking more for something like a stealth jedi prowler that the agents can use that is only for one or two, this seems too big, even though it has stealth capability it could drop a squadron, but my agents don't work in squadrons. I'd prefer they have" Faith moved her own stylus about and brought up what she wanted her agents to have. "this and a small one or two man vessel that can get them past planet sensors"

She looked at the two Senators, "Do we have anything like these items?"

She waited.

[member="Caius Flavian"] [member="Geral Varta"]

Martika Varta

Martika tapped his fingers against the table top, waiting to see if Caius would respond first. To be honest, Martika did know someone who had access to a rather spiffy stealth insertion vehicle, but it wasn't necessarily his to loan out.
"Give me a day, Madame, and I believe I can have an answer for you. A certain entity is looking to make friends with the Republic, which would include a share of particular arms. It is possible that I may be able to secure a handful of these for effective covert transportation for use by GRIM operatives."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom