Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Species Gramutek - The World Devastator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Initial Budding Phase (just after deployment)

tierno-beauregard-home-by-ourlak.jpg

Mature Phase

the_flaring_lands_by_blueroguevyse-d3difmm.jpg

Name: Gramutek

Designation: Non-Sentient

Homeworld: Selvaris

Language: Mental Linking

Average height of adults: 80 meters tall

Skin color: Brown, red, or black

Hair color: None

Breathes: Type I, II, or III (survival not dependent on air composition)

Strengths:
[+] Highly versatile: Unlike the Damutek, the Gramutek does not require immediate presence of water for propagation.
[+] Hardy: From adolescents to maturity, the Gramutek is highly resistant to damage from overlapping plates of yorik-coral, even capable of surviving space and hyperspace.
[+] Highly Productive: The purpose of the Gramutek isn't just to destroy, but also to create. Within it's chambers, it contains the necessary components to build, establish, and maintain Yuuzhan Vong colonies.
[+] Defensive: Once it reaches maturity, the Gramutek is highly modular in components that can be added to it's skin. This includes ship born yoret-kor, dovin basals, and other defensive ordinance. Along with that, similar to the Well of the World Brain, the Gramutek Yorik-coral is capable of metabolizing metal, restructuring it, and creating nearly impenetrable walls - meaning that it can take root within cities or nearby buildings, using the resources to grow and defend itself.

Weaknesses:
[-] Immobile: Once stationed in it a position, the Gramutek can't move from said position. Attempts to do so will kill the Gramutek. It should be noted that the deep yorik-coral roots make moving/removal of the Gramutek incredibly difficult.
[-] Non Sentient: Despite the nature of this creature, it holds no sentience and depends on coordination with Yammosk or Dhuryam.
[-] Requires Modularity: Despite it being the world devastator, the Gramutek is entirely dependent on the grafting of additional biotechnology to serve it's purposes, which are numerous.
[-] Can't stop, won't stop: Once world shaping begins for the Gramutek, it can't stop, even with the power and control of a Dhuryam.
[-] Gooey insides: Despite the defenses on the outside of the Gramutek, the species has no inherent defenses within the honey comb structure within it. As such, if someone gains entry into the Gramutek, they have access the data and recipes held within the Qahsa - assuming security hasn't been breached.

Distinctions:

-Large Orb that continually grows and pulsates
-Capable of surviving space and hyperspace
-Yorik-coral biot root systems that assist in digestion of nutrients. Similar to slivilith, the Gramutek can pull energy from ambient energy and rays.
-World-shaping device created specifically by the Legion Yun'Do

Average Lifespan: Indertiminate life span and growth, often limited by resources that are depleted over a 10-20 year cycle

Races: No races or subspecies. There is only the Gramutek.

Estimated Population: Relatively low, though constant, population of 5,000

Diet: Water, heavy metals and industrial pollution, ground nutrients, crystals and minerals, living creatures, dead creatures, atmospheric nutrient sinks, ambient energy, heat, solar rays, etc. For all intents and purposes, it would be easier to list what this thing can't eat then try to surmise it's total diet - except to know that it is absolute in it's consumption.

Communication: Mental linking and communication through Cognition Throne, Villip and Villip variants, Yammosk, or Dhuryam.

Culture: The culture of the Gramutek is simple: there is none. This creature was created with the sole purpose to destroy and create a Yuuzhan Vong oriented world in it's destructive wake.

Technology level: The species is highly modular in it's ability to be grafted with functional biots and species, ranging from ship hardware to building species. However, the extent of technology use extends to Yammosk, Dhuryam, Intendant or Shaper cast pilots who communicate through other means. The Gramutek doesn't necessarily use biotechnology though through the Gramutek, much biotechnology is rendered capable. The only exception to this are shaping protocols and conversion protocols, stored within a massive Qahsa.

General behavior: The behavior of the Gramutek is singular in course. Through coordination with mental link, the Gramutek begins as a small orb that can either be deployed interplanetarily or from atmosphere. Crushing to the ground, the pulsing beast uses the crater of it's impact to stabilize itself, sprouting rock hardened appendages that can pierce through rock and metal and earth. At this point, it begin pulling resources from the ground and from the air: Nitrogen, Carbon, Phosphor, Calcium, and elements so on and so forth that are ex tractable in a nearby proximity.

Programmed simply as a conversion tool with the resources and recipes held in the Qahsa, the Gramutek uses the initial resources for self-growth and defense. However, over the course of several months and pulsing and spasming, the Gramutek reaches the age of maturity, scraping the sky with it's height and leaving a ripple of destruction resonating outward from it's presence. It's then, that the recipes held within can began to start initiating the development of Yuuzhan Vong settlements. Grashals, Vivariums, spawning pools, nutrient bogs, lambent fields, components for shipwombs, etc. The needs of the initial establishment would dictate the inner contents of the Gramutek, which could initially include a Yammosk if needed.

History: By and large, the Yuuzhan Vong have depended on the establishment of the Damutek in order to properly vong form planets to the meet the needs of the community. However, the weakness of the species has always been clear: the need for water nearby. For the most part, the Damutek lied within the realms and needs of a plant. And plants are weak and pitiful things, so the Shapers of the Legion Yun'Do devised a new creature, something more worthy of the mantle and mission.

The Gramutek, the World Devastator, is a massive tool for the world shaping of planets towards the immediate culture of the Yuuzhan Vong. Starting out as a small orb, the species can be deployed in numerous ways. The most likely version is that, while in orbital space above the planet, a cruiser peppers the surface with adolescent Gramutek, which then begin to propagate. However, these can also be sent through hyperspace and allowed to collide with a planet, though the directness of the Yuuzhan Vong culture within the Legion Yun'Do prefers a more proximal based deployment. When originally bioengineered, the Legion realized the needs for versatility within the Gramutek. In the simplest sense, the species is a giant seed and when proper nourishment is obtained, it begins spreading outward (autogenic succession), developing a Yuuzhan Vong colony through the guidance of Yammosk or Dhuryam. Development include tools needed for construction of Gla, nutrient bogs, Grashal and Minshals, Ganadotes, Maw luur, Sparkbee Hives, lambent fields, and other Yuuzhan Vong species locations normally created during vong forming.

Similar to recent shaping found in the Yaret-Gavvuk and Damutek, the Gramutek has multiple means of security that allow for personnel entry into the species and the building like structure within. Passage pheromone, vong/non vong detection, heat-pit sensors, and video recording based on viewspiders. Once proper credentials have been provided and the Yammosk allows passage in, the Hatch Sphincter opens and personnel can move about within the compartmentalized and honey comb format of the Gramutek. In this location, Qahsa and computing data bank are available for use as well as a number of cognition hoods/cognition hoods, villip and villip variants, and the housing for the Yammosk. For all intents and purposes, while active, the Gramutek was developed to act as a headquarters for the vong shaping process and is highly modular in it's ability to accept this role - even down to manual control of grown defenses. Along with this, Mabugat Kan can be attached to the Gramutek to allow for disruption of outward holonet communications, further enhanced with the deployment of oggzil.

It should be noted that the Cognition Hood and corresponding forms of communication speak only in Yuuzhan Vong. As such, correspondence with the Gramutek requires understanding of the Yuuzhan Vong language, even down to the Yun'Do dialect. Failure to properly speak Yuuzhan Vong when interacting with the communications will alert the Yammosk or coordinator and while the consumption can't be halted, the defensive emplacements can.

Notable Player-Characters: None

Intent: To create a more unique a descriptive method of world shaping for the Yuuzhan Vong. In the case of deployment, this is meant entirely for dominions and only agreed instances of rp/skirmish/invasion. Pretty much a plot device. This is a restriction for use and attempt to use this without approval in open threads is grounds for reporting.

Development Thread: Grabbing at the Gramutek

[member="Yurzhoc Shai"]

Alright, first let me just say that it is clear that you have a firm grasp on the lore surrounding Vong technology. I can really appreciate that level of passion for one of the often discredited areas of Star Wars. That aside, I still maintain my concerns:

Primarily, I am concerned that this particular species does not serve a wholly unique function from the dramutek other than to supplement their rather significant weaknesses (I include in this evaluation the knowledge that the gramutek are intended for control-center capabilities.) My primary request is for you to expand on why the gramutek is necessary, or rather why the dramutek are incapable of meeting the needs addressed here.

Secondly, because of the nature of this submission, I will have to ask that you put together a development thread of about 10-15 posts. If I had to categorize this submission in terms of weaponry used by the Vong, I would probably put it somewhere in the realm of Vong weapons of mass destruction because of the sheer size, relative invulnerability, and effect area.

Yurzhoc Shai said:
[-] Can't stop, won't stop: Once world shaping begins for the Gramutek, it can't stop, even with the power and control of a Dhuryam.
For me, this could almost be value neutral because I do not foresee this being a particular burden on either the gramutek or their creators the Vong. If anything, it seems a bit more like a preventative measure against its attempted removal. This is fine to keep as a characteristic and even as a weakness, but I'd like to see some additional weaknesses to appropriately balance the strengths of the species.

Yurzhoc Shai said:
[-] Requires Modularity: Despite it being the world devastator, the Gramutek is entirely dependent on the grafting of additional biotechnology to serve it's purposes, which are numerous.
If this were a weakness on the creation of any other species, I'd say it made a lot of sense. However, because this is sort of the realm of Vong expertise, I also don't see it having much of a negative impact on the Vong unless there was a shortage of biotechnology. Same for the last weakness.

Other than these issues, which really aren't terribly major, again I commend you on your devotion to this sort of biotechnology and look forward to seeing the changes.

[member="Cecily de Demici"]

I'm fine with devving it out, as per the rules of the codex.

As for the unique nature of this: The Damutek is wholly missing a number of details that in all regards, increases its abusability (apparently that's not a word, gonna roll with it anyway). As is the case for most of my vong entries, I'm attempting to create a more complete landscape for the Vong culture. In that regard, the Gramutek has a number of details that are absent from the damutek. This allows for a more holistic ability to not only describe the process of vong forming, but also allows for more capable measure of counteracting it in the event that the planet is reclaimed from the vong forming process. Cause as it stands right now, vong forming is largely ambiguous (and it's removal just so, as we are seeing on Alderaan). The Gramutek is an attempt to fix this issue while also adding a new flavor to it (modifications have been made that I feel would be inappropriate to tack onto the Damutek, thus requiring a submission). The necessity of this submission stems largely from it's use a plot device, and not something for actual combat or invasion premises. In that way, the purpose and unique flavor marries both IC and OOC. Is there a way I can describe this in the current codex template?

I guess you edited it out, but I'm under the impression that due to the nature of subbing species, they are required to adhere to the natures of the submission itself, lest it be reported. As such, I would be more than comfortable in adding an explicit restriction on it's use in dominions and planned storylines, i.e. not allowed to just be dropped into open threads without expressed permission.

I will attempt to come up with additional weaknesses, though I feel the fact that it's consumption never ending could have dire impacts on not just native resources, but also things put in place in proximity around the species without being tied to the input of nutrients from the Gramutek: i.e. an unattached nutrient bog would be depleted of nutrients and fed back into the actual attached locations to the Gramutek.

[member="Cecily de Demici"]

Roughly 5 posts in, I think. Sorry, I'm technically on LoA right now but am trying...with spotty hotel interwebz at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom