Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goor'ika Bullet

Intent: Goor'ika Bullet (Little Grenade/Bomb Bullet)
Development Thread: N/A
Manufacturer: Mythosaur Munitions (Design, prototype, testing), Mandal Hypernautics (Production)
Model: Goor'ika Bullet
Affiliation: Open Market
Modularity: Yes, the bullet type comes in a wide variety of pistol, assault rifle, and rifle calibers
Production: Mass
Material: Lead, copper, chemical propellant, exploding detonite.
Description:

With the advent of more and more combat around the galaxy and the apparently innumerable numbers of lightsaber wielding Force users, biological war beasts, and the countless masses of enemy soldiers, Betna saw a potential for certain parties to benefit from a bullet type with a little more bang for the credit.

The Goor'ika Bullet was designed as a result. Available in a wide variety of ammunition calibers, the bullet is essentially a slugthrower projectile with a small amount of high explosives packed into the round itself. The bullet casing is simple lead, allowing the exploding detonite within the bullet itself to explode with minimal resistance. The round is designed to explode once the bullet itself hits a solid object of enough mass. This obviously includes metal armor and hard surfaces like rock or concrete, but also includes bones, wood, and other materials of the appropriate density. The bullet has a pretty standard penetration ability that allows it to penetrate like a normal round, albeit with slightly less power than the standard ammunition for the caliber it's provided in. The blue plastic tip to each bullet marks them plainly and openly as an explosive round to provide ease of identification for the user.

The downsides are fairly evident. The bullet is not designed to penetrate heavy armor or to punch through multiple enemies. Also, if a material of sufficient density is not encountered by the bullet itself, the explosives inside will not detonate. This means that flesh wounds and the like will not cause the bullet to detonate. Lastly, this particular round is not manufactured for any caliber from .50 upwards.

[member="Arrbi Betna"]

Sorry for the delay! Let's get started on this.

RESEARCH REVIEW

Here is what I've found on Flechette rounds and similar canon items.

SW Canon:
  • Flechette:
  • FWG-5 flechette pistol - It was loaded with flechette-filled pellets instead of heavy canisters,Upon reaching a range of three meters from the target, the pellet would explode, releasing twelve millimeter long micro flechettes in a shotgun style method of attack. This hail of flechettes would be propelled forward by the pellets momentum, spreading out to the radius of a meter or so to puncture and strike a target, often with enough force to pierce Blast vests and Stormtrooper armor.
  • Slug- In smaller calibers, specialty slugs allowed for an incredible array of specialized ammunition, and featured "mercy" slugs made from soft gels for stunning rather than killing specialized "pyro" slugs which used combustible materials to light targets on fire explosive detonite and Deuterium[3] rounds, armor piercing rounds made from depleted baradium, and even anti-lightsaber rounds made from cortosis which were capable of shorting out lightsabers

SWCHAOS Canon

• APE Boltgun Ammunition - That impact, triggered by a sensor which was armed by firing the bolt, would trigger the payload on any significant impact. The result of the triggering is to deliver a stream of hypersonic metal particles into the impact site, piercing it and tearing the target apart from the inside. A demonstration of this is shown below.
AT-HEAT.jpg

• MK I Omega Bolter - 30mm x 45mm explosive bolts. The bolts are armed at launch and any significant pressure on the warhead will cause it to detonate. This includes shields, Force powers, glass etc. Bolt has a two metre ‘casualty zone’ on impact against most humanoids. Up to six metres can be injured by either shrapnel or blast wave.

SUGGESTIONS | COMMENTS

Looking this over, and based on research, this is very similar to the APE Boltgun Ammunition. While it is possible that anyone is able to come up with this technology, it will still need to be researched and developed if you are looking to use this for different calibers instead of one specific type of pistol or rifle.

So if you are looking to create a in essence "bolter ammunition" I would recommend expanding on the range of what this ammunition can do in the same manner Firemane and OP have done with their own submission.

Also, compared to the APE Boltgun Ammunition, theirs is only one specific caliber for a rifle or a pistol -- not a variety one fits all.

As such, since you are looking to fit different weapons instead of a specific one, a development thread would be required since you are actually using flechettes instead of loose metal particles. Respective calibers would have a smaller amount.

My only note is this -- flechettes are specifically designed to be able to travel through the air and 'glide' to their designated area of attack. This is why flechette rockets ( and Canon pistols ) explode at a certain distance to allow the fins of the nail like flechette to travel en masse.

While a slugthrower equivalent would work, I am hesitant to believe that the flechettes themselves would be able to cause the maximum damage their design is intended to produce if they are to explode only upon impact.

While shrapnel and propellant would certainly cause damage regardless, the nail like construction of the flechette in itself would be counterproductive to what you may be intending if they are not allowed to fully use the force potential of air travel and difficulty to avoid for ground personnel.

WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Option 1
As the FWG-Flechette pistol flechette pellets are already canon, if you would mimic the exact same ammunition, this would work to suit your needs, sans the slug part of it.
  1. Simply making them to be a pellet with 12 flechettes that would impact upon contact instead of the 3 meter range would work.
  2. Clearly list what the weaknesses and strengths are with the special features.
  3. Please list how many are in a magazine.
  4. Since these would require specific pistols or rifles to use the, please list which models of arms that would suit since these would be specific calibers.
  5. Please drop this down to limited -- Mythosaur Munitions is still Tier 1.
Option 2
  1. Read my notes in the suggestions and comments and basically use the APE Boltgun Ammunition as a template for what you are going for. Don't plagiarize of course, but make this ammunition your own.
  2. This ammunition would have to be a specific caliber and only be used for a specific weapon. Please remove the different range of calibers and list the model of rifles or pistols this could be used on.
  3. Please drop this down to limited -- Mythosaur Munitions is still Tier 1.

WITH DEV THREADS
  1. I require at least a 10 post dev thread researching and developing a method to create this ammunition type for different calibers -- with the respective damage decreasing based on caliber due to limited space within the slug for particle flechette fragments. There still may be some incompatibility for some -- I'd recommend folk test it out so it doesn't explode in their hands. xD
  2. Read my notes in the suggestions and comments and basically use the APE Boltgun Ammunition as a template for what you are going for. Don't plagiarize of course, but make this ammunition your own.
  3. Clearly list strengths and weaknesses of this ammunition's special properties.
  4. Please drop this down to limited -- Mythosaur Munitions is still Tier 1.

[member="Danger Arceneau"]
Alright, made some edits and going to do a few things. First, though, I'll address the 'With Dev Thread' option as that's the option I'll be taking.

Danger Arceneau said:
I require at least a 10 post dev thread researching and developing a method to create this ammunition type for different calibers -- with the respective damage decreasing based on caliber due to limited space within the slug for particle flechette fragments. There still may be some incompatibility for some -- I'd recommend folk test it out so it doesn't explode in their hands. xD

Thread is already in progress. Should be done by this weekend, if not sooner. Production levels will be addressed as will design.

Danger Arceneau said:
Read my notes in the suggestions and comments and basically use the APE Boltgun Ammunition as a template for what you are going for. Don't plagiarize of course, but make this ammunition your own.
I'd... I'd rather not read up on theirs right now lol Not out of any contempt or negativity, but because that's their design. I've not read that ammunition type, but I get the concept (40k basis). I'd rather this be uninfluenced by their design so that I can 1) keep it mine originally and 2) avoid directly copying them unintentionally.

Danger Arceneau said:
Clearly list strengths and weaknesses of this ammunition's special properties.
Forgot to add that with my edits. I'll do that in a second.

Danger Arceneau said:
Please drop this down to limited -- Mythosaur Munitions is still Tier 1.

After thinking on it and speaking with [member="Captain Larraq"] in person yesterday, I've opted to place the Mandal Hypernautics label on the product. I'm attempting to raise Mythosaur Munitions to Tier II and need more minor or mass production items. Between Mythosaur Muntions' design and Mandal Hypernautics' production capabilities as a Tier IV company, I feel that with an, at least, 10 post dev thread this will warrant a mass production label. If you think otherwise, I'd be happy to discuss my reasoning in more depth :)

As for the edits, I removed the fragmentation ability entirely. This bullet just blows up, causing explosive trauma. I've added Mandal Hypernautics to the manufacturer and clearly labeled which company is doing what. I'll be going through and tinkering with the submission off and on today and tomorrow.

[member="Arrbi Betna"]

Fantastic!

Can't wait to see the end product and I'm glad you are going for Tier II. Honestly, I'm sure you already have the threads for it.

I'll be watching the Company Mod Thread for it. :)

Good luck with this slug, I'm excited to see what you can do with it! I'll put this up as a WIP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom