Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

caen_banner.png

The squat, square building at the center of the village was all things to the village. Every seventh day, it hosted a bazaar for two neighboring villages and its own, where the peasants traded and bartered. Most nights, it was a canteen where miners gathered after their shifts and to exchange tools with the next shift. All-too-frequently, it was a morgue and then a church to mourn the loss of their comrades, most recently holding the crushed bodies of the seven people killed during the collapse, then a joint memorial for them. Six miners. Two engineers. A surveyor. A water girl.

Andromeda Demir Andromeda Demir .

The memory caused Antares Demir to hesitate in the doorway. The cavernous building was full up, standing room only. Just like it had been that terrible day. He thought he might never be able to enter the building without thinking of her again. His little sister, in one of two caskets that had been closed to protect the survivors from the horrors of seeing the mangled bodies within.

"'Scuse me," a man gruffed behind Antares, and, muttering a quick apology, he quickly stepped in to avoid blocking the door, moving toward the bar, currently disused. He stood leaning against it in his dirty miner's clothes, his body aching from another twelve hour shift down below. He wanted to sit down -- really, he wanted to lie down with either a bottle or a blonde, but there didn't seem much opportunity at the moment, and a chair would have made a fine alternative, but they were all full. So he leaned.

"What's it all about?"

Antares glanced to his left where his mate Tiny had just come to stand beside him, folding his arms and puffing out his chest. Tiny by name and Tiny by nature, the man only came up to Ares' shoulder. What he lacked in height he made up for in power, though, and he was one the strongest people Ares knew. He cleared his throat, spit a mouthful of coal dust into the nearest spittoon, and grunted: "Mattis' and his petition. Don't know why we all need to gather to hear The City tell us to fuck ourselves. Waste of time."

"Maybe they won't," Tiny said, though he didn't seem convinced.

Antares sighed inwardly and said, without conviction, "Maybe."

Mattis was an older man, the former chief of the mine. He had retired after too many burns and scrapes and collapses had left him crippled. His rations from The City had stopped, but not the quota demands. The village somehow made up the difference in both. In the interim, to make himself useful, Mattis served as a sort of unofficial elder and representative of the village to its neighbors and The City. He hobbled onto the makeshift dais, an empty wooden crate turned upside down, with the aid of a cane and a younger man. The crowd fell silent; there was no sound system in the village, so Mattis had to raise his frail voice. "Friends," he called. "I have heard back on my letter to The City. And I -- well maybe I should just read it out to you." He drew a piece of flimsiplast from his pocket and cleared his throat before, with an apologetic smile, paused to pull his broken spectacles on.

"Mr. Mattis," he began. "We were most disheartened to hear of the mining accident in Mine 01138-Aurek. Please inform the families impacted by this tragedy of our condolences. We considered your request for a relaxation of the production quotas owing to the deaths of several of your personnel carefully and it is our decision to deny this request. The requirements of these materials is simply too urgent and, we note, five young people in the vicinity of Mine 00138-Aurek are within two years of reaching the age of majority and should, therefore, be physically able to take shifts in the mine to meet requirements. We also note that two of those killed in the accident were non-productive and, therefore, no additional consideration is given."

The crowd, which had been seething throughout the letter from almost the beginning, openly jeered at this last sentence.

Antares and Tiny shared a look. "Fuck ourselves," they said in unison, a grim humor to their words.

"Friends!" called Mattis, pleading for silence with the crowd of miners and their families. "Please, there's more. Where was I -- oh yes, here. 'In order to ensure continuing production quotas are met, as well as to reassure the workers of Mine 001138-Aurek of the City's support, a contingent of the Guard will be coming north to the area. We trust that you will welcome them dutifully as any good citizen would. Kind regards, etc. etc.'"

Mattis folded the note and tucked it back into his pocket as murmurs swept through the audience. "They're coming here?" one woman called from near the front of the seats.

That never ended well.

"Send 'em another letter and tell 'em to kick rocks," a man joked, a few rows back from the woman. The crowd tittered nervously.

"They'll kill us!" a familiar voice shouted, and it wasn't until the heads swiveled toward Antares that he realized that it had been him shouting it, voice raw with rage. The thought that had been festering for days, for months, for years. "They're coming here to kill us," he repeated loudly.

"Now, wait a minute," Mattis said. Mattis, always eminently reasonable. Mattis, who had given his life to the mine, to the City. Mattis, who had every reason to hate them as much as Antares did. More. Three sons out of five, dead in the mine. "Don't say anything you'll regret, Demir."

His body aching in protest, Antares hauled himself onto the bar he had just been leaning on. His heart hammered in his chest. "They're coming here," he said again. "To kill us. Whether it's by working us to death in dangerous mines without proper safety equipment, or to shoot us dead with their rifles, they will kill us if we don't fight back." At this, a handful of people shouted "Yes!", and a dozen faces nodded reluctantly. He saw his mother, on the outskirts of the room opposite, face white with fear and grief. He avoided making eye contact with her. "How many more of our people are we going to sacrifice for their greed?" Antares went on.

"No more," said someone quietly, a few rows away from where Antares now stood. The crowd was shifting toward him, some people rising from their chairs.

"How many?" Antares roared, grief and rage and frustration causing his voice to break.

"No more!" this time the answer was shouted, not just by the man who had originally said it, but a handful of others.

"No more," Antares agreed. His flesh crawled with the excitement of the moment. "No more!"

It became a chant, a mantra, growing with intensity. Mattis, from his little crate, seemed dwarfed, and he shook his head, but not in anger. How many boys had he seen, full of fire and fury, only to be filled with bullets and holes by the City? He clambered down, limped his way through the crowd, and extended a hand to Antares. Reluctantly, Antares hauled him up, placing him on the bar next to him, and the old man raised his hand.

The chant slowed, then stopped.

"They are sending the Guard," Mattis reminded them, his voice dull and heavy. "How can we stand against them?"

"It's a six day march from the City," Tiny called. "We've never had notice before."

"We'll build barricades," another man shouted.

"Or spikes!" called a boy, no more than twelve summers old.

"We'll do both of those things," Antares announced. "And more. The engineer, spirits rest him, had explosives. I know some people who know how to use them. We've got a few rifles. And we'll have the element of surprise."

He had been part of Rising for years. What had started as a social club of angry peasants had grown, in recent months, to bold but mostly ineffectual attacks on The City's forces. A patrol attacked here, a flaming bottle thrown there. But Antares had been part of a few successful raids. Poorly guarded outposts had contained some weapons and supplies. They were hidden in an exhausted mine shaft now, waiting. Waiting for the opportune moment.

But going against The City was a dangerous game. When someone was caught and or killed, then identified, the reprisals were cruel. He did not wish to condemn his village to the wrath of The City. He hesitated, then his voice softened. "But I cannot speak for the village. I put it to you. I feel we would have better odds of success in familiar territory, in the village. There are places for ambush, for striking from shadows. But better odds are not sure odds. If we fail, and they can link it to the village, they will hit back and hard."

"Been hittin' us hard since 'fore you were born," a man in his mid-forties called out. "Only this time we might deserve it. Might."

Tiny thrust his fist into the air. "I say we fight. Show of hands! Fight!"

Hands rose, some -- members of Rising -- like shots into the air. Others, more reluctantly. Boys and girls in their teens, some with their parents protesting and others with their parents joining and still others whose parents were dead. Older people. Not everyone. But more than three quarters of the village gazed expectantly up at him. All had grieved the seven dead in the collapse in this tight-knit community, but most had suffered other, more personal losses.

Antares half-turned toward Mattis, expecting to have to convince him that the majority ruled. But as he did, he found Mattis gazing at him with an odd look of sadness and determination on his face. After a beat, the old man leaned heavily on his cane with one hand, and lifted the other in a four-fingered fist, jamming it into the air.

"How many more?" Antares asked the crowd.

The response was nearly deafening. louder than any accidental explosion or collapse. "No more!"

caen_banner2.png

caen_banner.png

The crowd didn't disperse.

Once the village made its decision, even the people who hadn't raised their hands put their shoulders to the wheel. The City would punish the village as a whole, so it was in everyone's interest that this succeed. Antares was the de facto leader, and the sensation of people looking to him was electrifying. After helping Mattis off the bar, he took charge. "Tiny, go into the mine and pull the weapons cache from sector six. There's a bit of food and water set by for emergencies; leave that there. Take a repulsorsled for the guns, though, you'll need it. Meia," he said, addressing a woman his age who worked in the village's school. "Go with him so you'll know where to take the children. That part of the mine is so old and empty that The City won't think to search there for awhile."

The two nodded and set off immediately. "Mattis, send another cable to The City and ask them to delay their visit -- "

"Why?" Mattis asked softly, looking up at Antares quizzically. "They'll never agree."

"If they think we're looking to delay, they won't think we're setting them a trap," Antares explained, crouching down to put a hand on Mattis' shoulder. He lowered his voice and said: "I know you're not comfortable about violence, Mattis, and I appreciate it. I really do. But it's going to be them or it's going to be us. I don't want it to be us."

"No," Mattis said, standing up straighter, as if to steel himself. "Nor do I. I'll send the cable right away."

"Good man."

Antares stood up again, scanning the crowd that had broken up into smaller groups. The hall was abuzz with chatter, with excitement and fear. His eyes landed on a pair of siblings. "Josha!" he shouted. "Jaska!" The pair, a boy and a girl with dirty blonde hair, separated from their group and came to the bar where he was standing. "You're our fastest runners. Need you to run to the neighboring villages. Josha, you go west. Ask for Iris Prokkan and tell her everything. Jaska, go east and find Murdok Balan and do the same. Tell them I need them and their people. They'll know what I mean."

The twins nodded and set off at a jog out of the hall.

It continued. An hour, two hours. People peeled away to carry out their instructions, to go to sleep. His last act was to climb down from the bar and gather several tables, putting them together in the middle of the room. It would be a proper war council in the morning.

Bone tired, but still exhilarated, Antares set out to return home. He paused only once, by the graveyard. The mound over Andromeda's grave had settled, thanks to the acidic storm that had swept through over the last few days. A small stone marked her grave, next to another small stone that marked Atlas' grave. He suspected before long he, Antares, would be slumbering beside his siblings, the last of the Demirs. The thought gave him some comfort. But he would take some of those City bastards down with him, to be sure.

He bowed his head momentarily, then returned to the path. "Not long now," he muttered. "Better to die fighting."

caen_banner2.png

LOCATION INFO
caen_banner.png

Dawn broke, grey and brown over the continent.

Antares had been awake for some time, listening to the pleasant sound of the young woman beside him breathing rhythmically. It was warm next to her, and somehow she -- like lots of the women Ares had spent similar evenings with -- shed the smell of the planet, the scent of sweat. Clean; vaguely floral. Mostly, warm. He might have laid there forever, only -- well, there were City troopers to kill, and his people to liberate. Or, he thought without a hint of grimness, more realistically die in the attempt.

Death didn't scare him, not really. Not since Andromeda. His older brother had died years ago, and had been old enough even then that he didn't have time for an annoying younger brother. They had loved one another to be sure, but it wasn't a patch on the way Andromeda and Antares had been. Best friends, confidants -- Ares hadn't believed in the idea of soulmates until they had buried his beloved sister and it felt like part of him had been severed violently and buried in her shallow grave.

No, he wasn't afraid of death. There were days he longed for it, for the long, final rest of death. The release. But he had work to finish first.

The slight figure beside him turned onto her side, dark auburn head resting against his shoulder. Antares caught her wrist as her arm stretched across his chest, and carefully eased himself out of the bunk, tucking the pillow beneath her arm. That seemed to satisfy her; she mumbled something incoherent, sighed softly, and then snored quietly. Stifling a chuckle, Ares brushed her hair from her fair shoulder and kissed it softly before pulling the threadbare blanket over it.

He had work to do. Sorelien could afford to sleep a few more hours.

Silently slipping into a pair of fresh pants and his trousers, Antares gave her one last look before bending to scoop his boots and walk out into the common area of the small headquarters. A pot of acrid, half-burnt caff sat on its warmer. He helped himself, pouring the end of the carafe -- residual grounds and all -- into a mug, then set about to make a fresh pot. He nearly leapt out of his skin when he heard a voice behind him: "You shouldn't be doing that."

Tiny was sitting in one of the chairs in the shadows around the map table. He was studying the map laid out there. He didn't look up.

"Couldn't sleep either?" Ares asked. He brought his coffee over to sit across from Tiny. After setting his cup down, he pulled his socks out of his boots and began to put them on. "Or did Jaska kick you out for snoring?"

Tiny smirked, but the banter hit differently these days. Tiny had been courting Andromeda before the collapse. Tiny pretended they were just friends. Because Antares knew that Tiny was a good guy and wasn't one to behave badly, he had pretended to believe his best friend. It made for uncomfortable moments now that she was dead, to be sure. Tiny was shacked up with Jaska now -- Jaska who had always carried a torch for Tiny, but who Tiny had never looked twice at until after Andy.

"Talking in my sleep," Tiny said in a tone of light banter. "Anyway. Got a few hours of rack time. Long enough to be getting on with."

Antares finished lacing up his boots and leaned back in the chair, cupping his chin. A finger brushed across the stubble on his chin. "You ready for today?" he asked softly. Tiny only met his gaze, his jaw setting with a kind of grim determination. "Yeah," said Antares. "Me too."

They sat in silence for a few minutes, sipping their caffs, until the morning's first runners arrived with their reports. The City's forces were right on schedule. "They'll be going through the pass in six to eight hours if they follow their usual schedule and pace," Josha said, shifting the block on the map representing the City's forces along the road. "The explosives are in place and Prokkan says they'll work perfectly."

"If Prokkan says that you can take it to the bank," said Tiny, standing to loom over the map table. "We'll block them here -- Prokkan's people will attack from the north ridge and Balan's people from the south."

Antares got to his feet and drained the last of his caff as Tiny laid it out. "Then we'll come from behind," he said, and Tiny nodded, dry-washing his hands with relish. "Finish those bastards off, or -- " He stopped himself, glancing at Tiny. There was a glimmer of recognition there. " -- Josha, did you manage to get your hands on a radio?"

"Thought you'd never ask," he said, flipping a device at Antares.

"Remind me to give you a raise," Antares said with a satisfied grin.

Josha shrugged. "Settle for a cup of caff. This fresh?"

"Just made it myself," Ares said. He tossed the radio over to Tiny. "Get the frequency history off this. See if there's a pattern to how often they change it and how they pick a new frequency. Maybe we can even come up with a way to jam them."

Slowly, the resistance headquarters woke up and got to work. Today was the day.

No more.

caen_banner2.png

LOCATION INFO
caen_banner.png

There was no time to rest.

One of the trucks was destroyed in the blast. After checking the wreckage for tracking devices, the rebels set about digging a pit nearby and rolled it over, deep into the earth. They stripped the bodies of the uniforms, all the equipment that could be salvaged, and threw the bodies into the pit with the tank, and set the whole works ablaze. When the fire died down, some hours later, they covered the pit, an unmarked grave, and set about to cover the tracks.

The other truck was still functioning, and Antares claimed it as spoils. After searching it for any tracking devices, they loaded it up with the weapons and other materials and drove it back to the main road, covering the tracks to the ambush point, then continued along the main road until they reached the turn-off where they would store the vehicle. They planned to march on their next target sooner rather than later, but they covered their tracks in case The City came calling.

Exhausted but happy, the rebels returned to their enclave with the good news. Oh, there would be feasting tonight; he could almost taste the beer and the meat. The villages had consolidated, knowing they were committed to the cause now, and would march on The City before too long, and that meant combining food sources. Meat! His mouth watered at the thought of eating anything but the usual mush.

The hike back to the village took two hours, but they were in good spirits, and when they came back to the mine, they were greeted as the conquering heroes they were.

Hours later, Antares stood in the map room. Tiny was there, with Josha and Jaska, Prokkan and Balan.

"Our next move is to infiltrate the garrison here at the river split," Ares said, gesturing to the map. "We think they still have amphibious vehicles. We can use them to get into The City's riverside entrance. Meanwhile, we'll use the truck to do the same. It will take some time to get there, but we'll keep in radio contact with them as the mission operatives so as to not raise suspicions and buy us some time. Josha and Jaska, get yourselves to The City and see what kind of forces they have marshalled there. Take a radio. That'll give us a tenday to prepare."

caen_banner2.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom