Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Forging the Future

Tor Valum/Halls of the Forgemasters
Morning/Snowing

fpQfGKN.jpg

In the Halls of the Forgemasters, Shai stood by the anvil of a forge with a tray full of Durasteel ingots in one hand and a hammer in the other. Her road to recovery was still far from complete and it was something she hated with a passion. First it was walking, then overall motor skills, then fine motor skills, all with the help of Doc Painless. Eventually she got back to being fighting fit with the help of Alora and her mom helped her out with the notches in her memory. She was surprised that, after everything she forgot, her engineering skills were still intact. Some of the names had slipped, but the instinct and know-how were all there.

Forging was the one thing that eluded her the most.

The forge was ready and the durasteel was a placeholder in case she karked it all up. She didn't want to risk wasting even a sliver of Beskar with how her skills were. In her mind she was confident that she still knew everything and that her cybernetic arms would do an excellent job in helping her to keep working for longer without getting fatigued... yet she struggled to get herself so far as to actually shove the durasteel into the furnace. She lost track of how long she stood there with the tray and hammer in hand. Her goggles sheltered her cybernetic eyes and her gloves were only there to protect the synth-skin along her arms. With a shiver and a deep breath she managed to shrug off the hesitation and shoved the tray into the furnace, her gaze locked onto the ingots as they heated up and melted down into liquid ready to be pumped into a mould.

Her heart thumped in her ears as she made her way to a nearby terminal and worked through the options on what she wanted to make. This was simply a practice run to see what she could do. Nothing serious, no need to worry... right?

She decided on the most basic option she could go with: A cuirass. The segmented front plates and solid back plate without any of the extra tech. The forge hissed as the liquid durasteel poured into a basic mould and she selected the option. With the pull of a lever the forge came down to hammer it into a basic shape before she used nearby tongs to carry one piece over to the anvil for finer work. Then the hammering started. Doubt formed into anger as she smashed against the plate and shoved it into the furnace again to keep it hot. One plate after the other, she hammered away with a bunch of reminders to herself to hold back. With the new arms, snapping the plates in half was a likely danger in her state.

When the cuirass was done, she stepped back to study her work. The metal needed to rest for a bit, which meant time for a drink. With a sigh she tossed the hammer onto a table and marched to the nearby mess hall for a bite and strong drink. If she was lucky, there was another stranger hanging around for her to harass and maybe bury under new weapons again. If it worked with Sasha, what were the odds that it wouldn't happen again?

Vulcan Krayt Vulcan Krayt

Time: Morning
Weather: Snowing
Tags: Shai Maji Shai Maji

Vulcan was sitting at a table drinking warm cocoa as he arrived a couple of minutes ago. He was directed here so he had braced the chill to get to where he is now. His fingers still felt cold, and he was thankful that he stomped off all the snow on his feet as they would be soaked through with melted snow. Not fun.

He also began to wonder if the snow is getting lighter or heavier, if it was the latter, he will be staying put as it will be no fun being stuck in an ice pack and being all – ok Vulcan didn't like where that was going so he changed them to why he was here in the first place. Which was less morbid and kept him on track with his objectives.

First, he needed to become a fully-fledged Mando, his improvised scrap metal armour won't cut it forever, he was told, and he needed to be able to make some of his own. To be able to handle stuff on his own or at least with a guiding hand. But he first needed to find that guide and find it soon.

He tried everywhere else, they said no way they will let a "child" near hot metal and they patted him on the head and pushed him out the door. The Ubese was annoyed by that sure but knew enough to stay quiet and not insult them even though he wanted to and in Mando'a to be extra petty, even though his grasp of the language was rather lacking.

Common sense prevails there it seemed and he kept his mouth shut. Vulcan soon became aware that he wasn't alone and looked over at Shai. She looked familiar, but he was not so sure, he didn't exactly know anyone quite yet and it shows. So he held a hand up in a wave.

Better make the first move.

Striding to the bar, Shai ordered a soda and a very depressing meal for herself to boost her confidence. Thinking about it, a beer would likely work better so that's what she got as well. She leaned against the counter as she waited for her items, content with wallowing in her self pity for the moment. Though it seemed Her hopes would come true.

By a table was a young boy waving her over. He looked familiar, though she couldn't place where she saw him. She chalked it up to her memory being fuzzy. As soon as her meal and drinks were ready, she took it all and made her way to the Ubese boy's table and sat down. "Not exactly a typical place for a kid to be hanging out." She quipped. Though whether or not he understood her was a different story. She didn't know about Ubese Mandos... but the typical ones she ran into weren't exactly the nicest or most accommodating bunch. Scratching the back of her head, she tried to scrape together the bit of Ubese she could remember.

"Um..." She chuckled nervously. <"What your name?"> She asked in very harsh Ubese. Talking it seemed to be much different than actually understanding it. Usually she would simply use Huttese. <"Why here?"> She continued, clearly struggling with the language as she smiled nervously.

Vulcan looked up at Shai, she sounded familiar to him. But he could not quite put his finger on as to why. He remembered hearing a voice like hers back when he was selling baked delights at a market. She owes him money for some Sweet Rolls. He'll bring that up later because it was not appropriate to bring it up right now.

Vulcan considered her quip, he wasn't too concerned about it. Well, he did frown at the child comment but brushed it off just as quickly, because he is still only 15 and small so it was pretty accurate. What surprised him more than anything is Shai speaking Ubese, not fluently mind, but enough to be understood.

It was not commonplace for someone to try their hand at Ubese. He also had no complaints at her fluidness as his Basic was atrocious and not comprehensible by any means, his Mando'a was even worse, he still needed a booklet to help with the structure and grammar.

<"The name's Vulcan and I was directed here to learn a craft and I was told to seek out someone called Shai Krayt."> He chirps in reply, he paused before adding, <"It's ok if you speak Basic, I can understand it fully.">

Vulcan compromises with people to avoid unfortunate miscommunication. To both avoid confusion and offence, which did happen on occasion but not recently Vulcan thought in relief. Not fun unpicking a garbled conversation.

Shai blinked in surprise when he mentioned actually looking for her specifically. She nodded when he at least let her know that he was fine with Basic. "Thank kark. Haven't actually spoken Ubese in literal years. Way different than just understandin' it." She admitted with a chuckle before she took a long sip of her beer. "Well, kiddo, you found me." She commented as she dragged her plate of food closer and got to work on it.

It didn't take long for her to finish the plate in its entirety, though the look of borderline disgust spoke volumes on what she thought of the quality. "Jeez, next time I'm making my own food. It's like they try to get me out of here with this stuff." She grumbled as she pushed the plate away and instead took a long swig of her soda. Her attention turned back to Vulcan as she relaxed back and held her soda to her lips.

"Alright, kiddo. You said you wanted to learn a craft? I can help out with that. Though you'll have to be a bit more specific." Her head tilted slightly as she regarded him for a moment. "Who sent you my way, by the way? Don't you got a clan to help you out? It ain't right leavin' a kid to their own devices to figure stuff out, especially at your age. Have you done your trials yet or anything?" She asked him more gently as she sat forward. It was a little blunt of her, but it was something she couldn't ignore. Hell, he was almost ready to be a full-blown Mandalorian at fifteen if he wasn't one yet. By the look of it... he wasn't.

<"Well, Mandalorians craft their armour, and that's what I wish to learn first, then weaponry."> He replies swilling the ice around his glass. His improvised use of scrap may have worked once but it wouldn't keep him safe forever, eventually, he'll get hurt badly if he tries to use it in combat, besides, they directed him to Shai as she was better than a lot of 'Smiths in the area.

Vulcan considered Shai's words, he never got very far in being a Mando, the Alor that adopted him from the life of a Pirate vanished into Wild Space shortly after and everything stalled out and he was left to his own devices. Meaning didn't go through any trials or training. Which was something the adults needed to rectify before he got too old to do so.

Which made him frown slightly, nothing much happened since Konig disappeared, he rescued Nexu and Loth Wolf Cubs from a dying planet, stole Beskar before adoption. He's never going to let that cat out of the bag, not now or ever. He feared the reactions he would get if anyone knew. Konig took it well and offered him a Clan and a job.

<"Clan Kyrze adopted me and, since Konig vanished into Wild Space my fully-fledged Mandalorian status kind of stalled, and I don't know where to start or understand the trials."> He admits picking the ice out with his fingers and stacking them on top of each other.

If her cybernetic eyes could convey emotion as well as organic ones, Shai's eyes would be glimmering with maniacal delight at the prospect of teaching another Mandalorian the arts of crafting their weaponry and armour... and then using it to tear someone apart, limb from limb. "Hell, kid, you came to the right person for that." She snickered with another sip at her drink.

He was quiet for a while, Shai could see the gears turning in his mind as he pondered over her words for a long while. He finally spoke up and her brows furrowed for a moment as she mulled over his words. "I'm a little disappointed with them for not stepping up their game... then again, that House is a disaster right now so I'm not surprised." She muttered, mostly to herself as she scratched at her chin. With a mighty swig she emptied her beer and her soda in short order before she looked straight at Vulcan. "Well, kid! Guess what, you got yourself a mentor." She declared heartily as she slid out of her seat. Giving him a tap on the shoulder, she motioned for him to follow. "You are being adopted, please do not resist." She cackled away at her own joke, though it was hardly a joke.

"For real, I ain't lettin' a karking kid get done dirty like this, you're gonna be a karking Mandalorian through and through." She continued with the passion of a star. "I hope you're ready, kiddo, 'cause it's gonna get hot and heavy for the foreseeable future." She grinned wildly at him as she led him back to the forge where her challenge was waiting for her. She didn't have any confidence in the quality of the cuirass she forged... but her desire to help the boy outweighed any doubts she had in her ability. She wasn't going to let another kid go under because she failed to do something in time...

It was only when she reached the forge that she realized she did not think this through for even a moment. Where do they even start? Turning to look at him for a moment, she had a tough time to decide on what to start with. "Okay, well... where to begin..." She looked around at the armour and the forge. Oh well, time to introduce him to the joys of sparks, singes and frustration...

For several hours she worked with him. She started with the foundations after she tested the cuirass and found it to be absolutely perfect... she was sure she scared him with her cheering and jumping around. But after that, she patiently worked with him through the very basics. She was going to make a Mando out of this boy... and she wasn't going to miss or rush a thing with him.

Weather: Hot

Vulcan's enthusiasm was building and he was eager to start and he was up out of his seat as soon as Shai got up. Nothing seemed to temper his firework energy. The ice cubes were left to stand in a tower to either be cleared off or melt. Whichever happens first. He's going to learn something with help. He'll pay attention too as he wants to learn and, not just be here for the sake of it and get under Shai's feet which will hinder the pair of them and cause an accident.

The first thing he noted when he stood in the Forge was that it was very, very hot, well it was a forge and they are going to be warm places. Vulcan gave everything a good look over, without touching, he had the common sense not to touch things that may hurt him. Well, most of the time.

But as the teaching began his attention was now firmly on Shai as he was shown the basics and how to use the equipment. He did take a small step back as she cheered, it wasn't scary but it did catch him off-guard.

Her enthusiasm was contagious, and he too felt fired up. He cocked his head at the first-ever pun that crossed his mind at that moment. He had little time to dwell on it as he was creating his first forged metal, it looked rather wonky, some places thin and thicker in others. His second looked better but it was rather shapeless.

Vulcan frowned in concentration, if it were possible to see, his tongue would be peeking out of the corner of his mouth as he tried again. He is getting it but it's slow going but there were improvements as he went on and he made a hook. Not exactly a fearsome weapon but it will make keeping his room tidy easier.

<"Aha, a hook."> He says triumphantly, he was happy he made something coherent.

Once they got started with it all, Shai realized just how difficult it was going to be to teach the boy everything she knew. Smithing, warfare, and everything in between. It was going to take a lot of patience, trial and error from both of them. Patience was certainly not her expertise, a point that came through now and then as she got a bit worked up with him. But she kept her cool and worked with him to the best of her abilities.

After a couple of hours, he finally managed to craft something that not only looked fine, but felt proper as well. Shai nodded slowly as she studied it. It wasn't perfect, not by a longshot, but for a random thing in the house it would do the job. "Not bad at all for a first try." She commented with a grin as she turned to face him. Holding the hook out for him to take back, she checked the time on her datapad. "Oh damn... we've been in here for a while." She snickered as she gave him a nudge to his shoulder. "I'd say that's been enough for today. You're definitely gonna feel stiff as hell tomorrow morning, but it's cool." She led him out of the Halls and into the streets of the mountain city.

"Listen, I'm not jokin' when I said it's you and me. I want you to understand that it's gonna be a tough journey for both of us. I've never had to teach anyone before, not like this. But I promise I'll do the best I can for you. Just... bear with me, patience isn't my thing." Her voice was much more gentle as she faced him fully. "Tomorrow morning, meet me here again. We'll probably do something different, but it's definitely not gonna be a waste of time." Her hand rested on his shoulder as she leaned down slightly to look into his eyes. "And if you want, you can join my clan as well. Give it some thought, then you can give me an answer tomorrow. I'll still train you, no matter your choice. But the offer is there if you want." Standing tall again, she gave him a salute as she started to walk home.

She was proud. Not only did she prove something to herself... she got a karking foundling! Sort of... 'apprentice' just felt way to underwhelming to call him. Regardless, she found someone to actually teach. For a brief moment a smile crept onto her lips with genuine excitement brewing in her heart. The prospect of teaching him made her feel whole again for the first time in years. A chuckle bubbled from her as she walked, sheer happiness taking over as she revelled in the feeling.

For the first time in nearly a decade, she felt like she had her kiddies again...

Weather: Slight snow flurry

Vulcan took his hook back with a nod of thanks, time did fly past and they needed to stop, his fingers only slightly singed and he will be feeling the exertion tomorrow or later. Worth every ache too then, he focused on what Shai had said, the opportunity to have a stable clan life pleased him greatly.

He needs some stability at his age and right now it wasn't stable, but now he has a chance at being part of something better. He placed the new handmade hook into a pouch where he knows it is safe and unlikely to go astray. He needs to remember where it is when he gets home though.

He understood that patience takes time and he may not be the easiest of students or very patient himself, but with what time they had they made progress and he made something functional. Looking at his previous attempts Vulcan picked up what he called the Splat. He'll take this too to be proud of what he accomplished today.

<"Thank you, I am proud of my new hook, also I'm taking the Splat too, to admire my progress."> He chirped before going back into deep thought. <"Tomorrow for sure and I'll give you a definitive answer.">

He practically skipped as he walked, both in pride and an opportunity to have a Clan. He needed to return home before dark or before a blizzard begins to form which would be impossible to travel in. Vulcan gave Shai a wave goodbye before he began to make his way back to his own home.

This was the most productive day thus far, he made something and now had a very promising future and a family, his clones were family, but even they were unable to provide the stability he needs or wants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom