Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forever

[media]https://soundcloud.com/callumbrennan/defeater-headstone-cover[/media]

Forever. That was what they said when they were wed. That is the word they used together, in harmony- to describe what their love would be. But now, as Preliat stood over the headstone of his infant daughter and wife, on the homestead that they used to live in together- he realized how utterly fruitless that word was. And how painfully unaware of the tragedy that awaited him. While many had been taken in by the Nether, sent to their own personal hells and then returned from them- Preliat was still living in one. He was without love, without family, and without reason to live. Everything that he fought for, everything that he did was for his wife or for his child- and here they were, the two most important women in his life- gone. Gone and they weren't coming back. He stood over them, or at least, where they should have been.

He did not have the luxury of seeing their remains, the vessels that held the souls of his loves. Just empty graves, caskets with no bodies, and headstones that were simply names, and dates. When they were born- and when they died. And in between the two sets of numbers, etched onto granite, was a line. A line that represented the cumulative experience of a person, summed up by simply the beginning and the end. And it was far too short for both of them. Preliat stared at it, felt the breeze at his neck, the weight of the empty soil beneath him. He looked around, and began to do what he had not done in so long- he began to talk to Aditya.

"I thought you would be the one thing in my life that I wouldn't have to give up on."He reached into his helmet, his buy'ce, and removed the picture of her. Crumbled and worn, faded from time- it still meant as much to him as it did the day he got it. It was her, covered in grime and grease, holding onto a wrench. She looked radiant, as always. He looked at the headstone."I thought you would be the rock to my castle. The bedrock that held everything I built myself on." He paused, looking to the headstone of Aditya. Aditya Mantis. His wife. Here he was, a widow, standing over the woman who he thought could have survived everything- endure, and even prosper in the face of all the adversity that she and him would ever face. But she was taken away from him. Taken away by a careless monster, who nearly destroyed the galaxy.

"I was excited. Excited to maybe, just maybe- grow old together. Not have to fight anymore. Let the younger men do my battles for me, fight the fights that I didn't need to fight anymore. And just live with you- happy as can be."He turned to Yasha's headstone, which drew a curtain of pain over his face."I'm sorry, Yasha. You were supposed to be the bravest girl in the galaxy, but..."He stopped and stared at it for a while, the line."But you never did, and you never will. I hope wherever you two are, that you're together. That you're together and that you're not alone, and that you know that I still love you. I love you both so much."He dropped to his knees, feeling his lip quiver. He reached up, placing his hands at the crown of his head, cradling himself. He began to sob, looking towards the empty graves, reflecting on his empty life.

"Why did you have to leave me? Why did you have to leave me alone? There's nothing for me! I don't have anything anymore!"He reached up, using his thumb and index to wipe the welling tears from his eyes."You were the only thing I cared about. You two. The only thing that I wanted to come home to. Not an empty house, not an empty bed, sitting alone and eating. Why can't you come back?"Preliat fell backwards, falling to a sitting position. He sat there for a while, until the sun was no longer at his back and the stars had come to shine their light on Mandalore.

He didn't speak for hours, let alone think. It was painful to reminiscence, more painful to hope of what could have been, of what he could have had. It was after a long while, when the winds came across the empty fields of his homestead, that he decided to break a chemlight, and bathe in the dim blue light it provided. He laid back on the soil, upturned and freshly mowed- by himself. The landscape around his wife and his daughter was to be pristine, and he would make sure every day that their memorials would be as clean and lively as they were. It was not a depressing sight to look at, it was filled with flora, and many rock formations that Preliat was a fan of, and that Aditya appreciated.

He wondered how simple his life would have been if he had never decided to stop playing Null-hockey, and just live at home, play, and enjoy his shallow, but interesting, life.

[member="Preliat Mantis"]

Dredge's soul had wandered the galaxy for a long time in search of his daughter, and when he had found the child she was living a happy and productive life as a teenager working as a free lance shaper on Yuuzhan'tar and other areas of the galaxy. He was proud of her and every now and then he'd come to check up on her, but living in the ethereal realm now it was a completely different experience for the once slayer of worlds. While rooting around in Preliat's head he discovered his memories, his memories of his wife, daughter, family and it was the most beautiful thing the man had seen. It had shown him just how wrong he was as a person to bring death to the galaxy in such a way.

So Dredge had felt a wound in the force, a feeling that made his soul shutter and that feeling was that of the mandalorian that slew his mortal form, so he had to do something he owed that much to Preliat for showing him the error of his ways. So after many ghostly hours of learning how to move about the force he found himself on Preliat's front lawn his blue shimmering body fading in and out. But it wasn't of the demon dressed in black clad armor, it was of the man underneath it. War scars, tattoos, everything was cleaned of Dredge's body, all except the weight and guilt he felt on his conscious.

But the ghost soon looked over the graves of Preliat's family with his head hung down. That didn't deserve to happen to them, he knew Preliat wasn't all that great of a person but even in the end for Dredge his daughter was safe. But looking down at Preliat as he laid in the light of the glow stick dredge focused his energy and came into a blue light of being. He crouched down on one knee by Preliat and spoke.

"I'm sorry Preliat, I'm sorry that this happened. They deserved better." he said in a somber voice.

"But men like you and I. We don't get happy endings, don't let this be your ending Preliat. Don't let it be like mine." he said still in a sympathetic voice.

"My story had a happy ending. I had everything I could have wanted, Dredge. Or whatever you are. Maybe you're just leftover from The Dark Harvest. Maybe you're just some apparition, some illusion or trick of the mind-"He paused, but didn't look at [member="The Ghost Of Dredge"] beside him.

"I cannot create. I cannot lead. Nobody wants me to lead them. I am not a leader. I am an attack dog, set loose upon enemies and evil. But I lost myself. And I can't find who I used to be anymore."Preliat never considered that Dredge was what he was- essentially the same as him. Preliat tried to deny it for so many years, but Dredge was more like him than he wanted to admit."They were not bad people. But why do the bad people live-"His eyes flickered."And the good die?"He wasn't going to guilt trip whatever form of Dredge this was, Dredge probably had enough of that in his life.

[member="Preliat Mantis"]

Dredge let out a sigh, not that he had lungs to do so but it was just a human reaction. He was still getting used to this ghost thing, he could of found a new body and come back at any time but he couldn't. He knew what he had done and he knew he had to pay his penance for the billions he had put to the sword. So he sat down with his hands propped behind his back and his legs stretched outwards, he looked over to his killer and he felt sorry for him. He felt empathy and he knew that preliat and him were very much alike when they were alive, sure he wasn't a genocidal maniac but he was a killer. But Dredge didn't need to reinforce that, Preliat needed more than that.

"People just die Preliat. I was never good at these things, you know that. And I don't know what I am, maybe I am a figment of your imagination, some fucked up PTSD riddled hallucination. Maybe I am Dredge's ghost, a shade of what he was in life. Hell I don't know much of anything." he said with a sigh afterwards.

Dredge paused for a moment as a cool night breeze rolled by, he couldn't feel it but he remembered what it felt like. When he was alive he could never appreciate something like that, it was funny really. In death you learned to appreciate what you didn't notice in life.

"But let me tell you what I do know. This isn't your ending, it's theirs. What you had with them was special, I saw your memories, I saw what you had and it was beautiful. I can never return to this world Preliat, let me tell you what's on the other side. I see every person's face I killed, I hear their screams, all of them wanting me to join them for eternity. You and I may be bad men Preliat, we may of made our legacy through blood. But yours doesn't have to end like that, but the first step is letting go. There's nothing here for you anymore." he said hoping that Preliat would listen.

"Maybe." He said, taking in the weight of [member="The Ghost Of Dredge"]'s words. He turned to look at the apparition, whatever it was. Maybe he was finally insane. Or maybe the galaxy was. Preliat constantly questioned which was more insane- the galaxy, or him. He stood up, facing the graves, before he clenched his fists.

"It wasn't supposed to end like this, Dredge. Not for me. But I suppose it won't."He stared, for a long while, before turning on his heels, digging into the soil beneath his feet. He left them behind, Dredge, and the two empty graves that would weigh him down for the rest of the life he led."The next time you appear to me, whatever the hell you are- I'd prefer if you didn't act like we were cut from the same cloth. I am nothing like you."
He said, turning towards Dredge, baring his teeth only slightly."You may be a monster, and I may have done some wicked things- but you and I- are nothing alike."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom