Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Species Folderback Rock Python

Status
Not open for further replies.

RIP Carlyle Rausgeber

"It's all been bloody marvellous..."
160079-004-E3038FB0.jpg

Folderback Rock Python (http://media.web.britannica.com/eb-media/79/160079-004-E3038FB0.jpg)

Name: Folderback Rock Python.
Designation: Non-Sentient
Homeworld: Terra Damatias
Language: None.
Average Lifespan: 50 years.
Estimated Population: 4 million.

Average height of adults: 0.3 meters.
Average length of adults: 9 meters.
Skin color: Brown, gold and black.
Hair color: None.
Distinctions: The Folderback Python is a thick animal rippled with muscle. Its distinctly patterened scales act as perfect camoflage to escape detection within rocks. WIthin its head, lies powerful fangs and jaws, primed to deliver a crippling blow.

Breathes: Type One.
Strengths:
+Virgin Birth: Females of the species have evolved with a gland which secretes semen into the vulva. In times with little to no mates, female pythons use this to impregnate themselves.
+Big Hugs!: The python isn't a generic constrictor. Like other pythons, the folderback is a constrictor, and strangles its prey. It is very goot at its job.
+Desert Camo: The camouflage of the snake means that most who come close to it, haven't seen it till it's far too late. This doesn't work too well in the jungle however.
+Biological Sensor Array: The Folderback's tongue is able to receive data on animal locations for about a six kilometer radius through wind. This creates a sort of internalized radar of sorts, and when it draws close to its prey, becomes an infa-red image.
+Endurance Fighter: Able to traverse the most difficult dust storms, and survive scraps with mastiffs, the Folderback is a fighter. One which can endure incredible injuries. There have been cases of pythons being impaled, and still fighting back. The snake has strong survival capabilities.
Weaknesses:
-I Can't Hear You: The folderback, like most snakes, can't hear.
-Long Pregnancy: The folderbacks drawback is that they carry their young for a full three years before birth. This slows down an already slow snake, and means that they often fall to Mastiffs.
-Mastiff Packs: While lone Mastiffs are easy prey, the packs the hounds hunt in mean that the python often can't defend itself. Since their introduction, the pythons population has crashed.
-Slow and Steady: The python is a slow beast, which means most of its hunting is undertaken when other creatures are at their lows. It can't escape its predators very well, and is incredibly slow.

Races: None.

Diet: Swamp Leviathans, Eopies, Jindaburras, Mastiffs, Simpsan Crawler, Dartells Taipans, Smoulder Pythons, Wamp Rats and Rylers Scorpions.
Communication: None.
Culture: No culture to speak of. The snakes are a brutal creature, and attack each other, except when mating. There is no set time for mating, and females go through periods of "heat" which means they attract males with pheromones. Mating takes three days, which leave the couple vulnerable to attacks. And then, once finished, the female waits three whole years for pregnancy to finish. Even then, only one snake baby is born.
Technology level: None.
General behaviour: The Folderback is a patient predator, tracking its prey for nearly whole days for the chance to strike. They're s defensive creature, and unlike most, only attack if hungry or a perceived threat. The folderback is a persistent predator, and usually kills at night, when other animals are at their weakest. It will spend all day tracking its prey, and attack as soon as it sees they're asleep. The folderback is hostile to sentients, its massive size has meant that humans fit right into its diet. Because of that, sentients are told to never camp out in the desert near suspected python sightings.

History: None
Notable Player-Characters: None
Intent: To add wildlife to Terra Damnatias

Rekali the Hutt

R
[member="Carlyle Rausgeber"]

Carlyle Rausgeber said:
Distinctions: The Folderback Python is a thick animal with
Can you complete this section?

Carlyle Rausgeber said:
+Big Hugs!: The python isn't a generic constrictor. Whi=le other pythons try to strangle their prey, the Folderback rather prefers to shatter and crush bone. Once wrapped around its prey, the snakes muscles tense, crushing organs, and shattering bone. Any creatures who'd survived that usually die instantaneously from that.
Why? I'm not sure of the musculature of snakes, but the fact is it is extremely easier to choke someone that it is to crush their bones and organs, the latter of which would need to be over the skull or rib cage in order to kill a creature(both very difficult). To use an analogy a strong man can choke a person to death with a single hand, but I've never heard of a man being able to compress a human's torso or skull with enough force to shatter it. There are magnitudes worth of strength of difference here. Unless every creature it hunts has reinforced necks and cartilage rib cages I just can't fathom why it would evolve with this behavior.

Carlyle Rausgeber said:
+Endurance Fighter: Able to traverse the most difficult dust storms, and survive scraps with mastiffs, the Folderback is a fighter. One which can endure incredible injuries.
Can you go into more depth here?

Carlyle Rausgeber said:
The folderbacks drawback is that they carry their young for a full two years before birth.

Carlyle Rausgeber said:
And then, once finished, the female waits three whole years for pregnancy to finish.
Can you elaborate on this apparent contradiction?

Can I get General Behavior elaborated on? How they hunt, interact with predators, sentients, etc? At least a paragraph or so.

Lastly, there are a few typos here and there if you could clean the submission up a bit.

Greetings, [member="Carlyle Rausgeber"],

With [member="Rekali the Hutt"] away at the moment, I'm going to take over this submission, if you still wish to see it added to the Codex.

Rekali's point about the level of strength requires to crush bone still stands: this remains present in your current draft, and I agree that it's a big issue. The Constrictor would have to be immensely strong to pull that off, and I don't see it being able to exert that level of force on anything shy of a small bird or lesser mammal (a rodent, perhaps!).

There's also no way that a snake could be stomped on by an AT-ST and still be fighting fit. Just...no.

Everything else seems perfectly in order, so if we can clear that up, we'll move this submission forward. Thanks!

I'm still not convinced with respects to the endurance levels and recovery capability of the snake, but since it isn't an NPC or likely to make any appearances in the battlefield, we can let it slide.

Passing this on to [member="Silencia"] for approval.

Well hello again. As a snake person I'm not going to let those things slide.

+Endurance Fighter: Able to traverse the most difficult dust storms, and survive scraps with mastiffs, the Folderback is a fighter. One which can endure incredible injuries. There have been cases of pythons being impaled, and still fighting back. The snake can survive most of its bones being broken and still managing to fight back.
I think the better option here is to put that it has strong survival capabilities. Get rid of the sentence I've marked with red. A snake with most of its bones crushed is going to die, there's no other way to put it. the bones are there to maintain integrity of the animal's bodily functions. Not to mention that if you're crushing most of the bones, you're also crushing most of the organs. It's going to die from that, just like any other creature.

Estimated Population: 30 million.
-Long Pregnancy: The folderbacks drawback is that they carry their young for a full three years before birth. This slows down an already slow snake, and means that they often fall to Mastiffs.
-Mastiff Packs: While lone Mastiffs are easy prey, the packs the hounds hunt in mean that the python often can't defend itself. Since their introduction, the pythons population has crashed.
-Slow and Steady: The python is a slow beast, which means most of its hunting is undertaken when other creatures are at their lows. It can't escape its predators very well, and is incredibly slow.
And then, once finished, the female waits three whole years for pregnancy to finish. Even then, only one snake baby is born.
These three things don't add up. The weaknesses are perfectly fine, but I need you to drastically cut back on the population to reflect them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom