Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Far Too Long

Martin Dux

M
Martin sighed, deeply. From the mountain overlooking the small valley below, he gently wiped the snow from his hood. He and exodus were like old friends, panning over their time together, dancing through the galaxy. He did it again. This time it was worse, he feared. He left his apprentice, to learn on his own, for a time at least. But it was that calling, the one he felt so many times. Why did he follow it? It was his nature, it seemed, to follow things that led to uncertainty. He gripped the hololink tighter.

He looked up to the sky, "
Spindle... Could it get colder?" He laughed at his own humor. He was alone, though.

Rex felt him. He knew that. Through space and the powers that be. The force had a funny way of making you change. "Oh Rex, what have I done?" He looked down, shaking his head.

He had so much to apologize for, so much he missed. But exodus was like that, he and his old friend.

Rex Valhoun Rex Valhoun

Second King of The Elysium Empire
Spindle was a cold place, but Rex was just as cold inside as out. He was alone, and things weren't going well politically. It felt as though he had no allies. It was amazing what one warrant for arrest could do. His administration had proven to be much more fragile than he had ever imagined.

First, Var-Sulis boldly stated that he would be better for Loreena than Rex. After a brief and decisive physical fight between Var and his King, in a fit of rage and under the belief that Lori was cheating on him, Rex decided to crack down on The Dobsons. All of them. He ordered the arrest of Viken, Dorthea, Omar, Arken, Doofy, Severus, and Linn Dobson. However Viken and Dorthea were only wanted for questioning, while the rest were going to be executed. Loreena hadn't responded well. She helped Dorthea and Viken hide, and despite Rex's best effort, he couldn't get her to stand down. So instead he gave her a chance to meet with The Imperial Bloc senators and convince them that it was okay to remove the arrest warrant on Viken and Dorthea.

Meanwhile there was a territorial matter to be settled with the inhabitants of Damascus Station. Despite being in Imperial territory, the inhabitants wanted independence. Rex had no plan to give it to them, but he was kicked off of Damascus Station by Dorthea Dobson. Choosing to comply rather than cause a massive scene, Rex put Lori in charge of negotiations. The result was the independence of The Nomadic People's Coalition and The Imperium's gradual loss of ownership of parts of Damascus Station. In return The N.P.C. promised to support The Imperium. It was a disaster.

Another disaster was Rex's failure to save Belsavis from The Eternal Empire's occupation. Favoring peace over war, Rex had conceded the planet and left in disgrace, failing even to evacuate refugees from the planet. This failure had rallied his own bloc, The Imperial Bloc, against him. The Imperium looked weak, Rex looked weak. But surely the existence of a fragile peace was more important than some planet half way across the galaxy?

Needless to say, the state of The Imperium was at a dangerous point. He was losing support from everyone, even the military, and Martin Dux was nowhere to be found. But Rex could feel his presence and for the first time, he felt that he knew where the man would be. So here he was on a mountain, making his way to nowhere, based off what most people would dismiss as a gut feeling.

Just what The Imperium needed.

Martin Dux

M
Martin hummed a soft tune. He didn't need to turn to know that his apprentice was behind him. That connection, that feeling was all he needed. Like his mind, it was lost. There were a plethora of things he should've said, but Martin being Martin, he said something cryptic.

"Did I ever tell you I had a son?" He began, head drifting from the sky to the valley below. "He was a great boy, really he was. He had no connection to the force like I do, but I saw a galaxy in him like nothing else."

He stood quiet for a long time. He could sense it, a darkness raising up in Rex. He'd felt that before, in an apprentice he had so long ago. Martin had done it again, went searching for something he wouldn't get back. "I miss him sometimes, that boy. I did so much for him, I put everything I had into him. I loved him with all my heart," He turned to face Rex, his face sullen, "But I failed him."

There was no getting Aleksandr back, he was lost to the dark side of the force. He was lost in space, Martin would not find him no matter how hard he looked. "I'm sorry, my boy. I left you in your moment of weakness. I went looking for ghosts." He ran a hand over his beard, his face sinking into the hood of his cloak. "I made mistakes, here, right now, in the past. Now, you are what you are. I heard about what you did to the Dobsons, while I don't blame you, that's not the path you should've taken."

Rex was meant to be better, better than Martin, better than all the apprentices that came before him. He was meant to be the old man's best work. he didn't want him to fall into pain like himself. But all the same, he'd done exactly that. He could fix this though, make it better. Rex was worth saving.

"While you might think yourself alone, you are surrounded by souls. While you think yourself lost, you're the one weaving a path forward." He looked back, out over the valley again.

"I will not fail you, I can't. I feel the darkness inside you, boy. I don't want that for you. Not like me."
He said, muttering that last part.

Rex Valhoun Rex Valhoun

Rex indeed did not know Martin had a son. In fact the whole story was new to him. Though he didn't understand how it related to him. Apart from Martin failing his son, and then leaving in a time that Rex needed allies, there wasn't a connection. At least not that he could make. But he was interested in what Martin would have done with The Dobsons. That was constantly on his mind. They hadn't been arrested yet. They were still hiding. His order for their arrest was made in anger, but it still felt like the right choice. The Dobsons were a cancer. Their influence spread like wildfire, and their ambition had no limits. It was only a matter of time before they made a move for the throne, or at the least a move to eliminate Loreena, their number one competitor.

Martin's next words were slightly comforting...but they didn't enlighten him much. What "souls"? He certainly didn't see nor hear from them. He didn't really feel lost either. Just alone. Martin seemed out of touch. He was trying to be philosophical when all Rex needed was someone loyal behind his back, giving him honest advice, not people like Loreena who betray his trust, or allies like Viken Dobson Viken Dobson who won't just turn themselves in for questioning.

Finally Martin claimed to sense darkness within Rex. This was something The King couldn't argue. Everyone had darkness in them, or so he had been taught. It was just a matter of keeping it balanced with the light. He thought he had done a good job with that, apart from his emotional outburst that led to the warrants and the formation of The Imperium...

"Alright, Meistras, I don't blame you for your absence...but I need to know if I have your allegiance. This isn't the time for teachings, this is the time for planning."

Martin Dux

M
Martin narrowed his eyes at Rex. "There is always a time for teaching."

There was part of him that knew that was a lie. Rex was doing awful, he could tell that much. Maybe he didn't know him as well as he wanted to. He could sense a few things about him, things that seemed good and bad, all the same. "You want planning?" Martin said, walking towards Rex. With one hand he pulled the hood from his head. He looked bad.

Bad was only scratching it, he looked like he'd lost sleep. He had, actually. There were things that kept him up, things he didn't understand despite his age and knowledge. "I think it's time that we began your training. Real training, how to use a lightsaber, how to wield the force. It's about time that you found your place in this hell of a galaxy."

Martin stopped, taking a deep breath. He realized how condescending he sounded. It was like he hadn't even heard what Rex said, only his ramblings before. He looked the younger man in the eye. "I am at your side, son. It was a mistake to leave and shan't make it again."

Martin saw so many things in him. He saw a better man, mostly. In the end, that's what Rex was to him. He was a chance to be better. All the lion knights could fall and crumble, but none of them truly shaped Martin. Rex was Martin's apprentice, and he would make damn sure he was a good master.

"What has happened, really? What's going on in the Imperium?" Martin asked, for he truly had no idea.

Rex Valhoun Rex Valhoun

Martin looked terrible. What had happened to the man? Rex was the one holding a nation together by strings so thin they were slicing the palms of his hands...but he didn't look nearly as bad as Martin did. Perhaps it had just been too long since he saw the man. It was also odd that Martin practically ignored Rex's statement, instead suggesting lightsaber training. It'd be useful. Rex didn't need to "find his place", but learning to fight better could be useful considering his lack of allies.

Martin then asked what was going on in The Imperium. Rex inhaled deeply. There was a lot that had happened...

"I almost killed Var-Sulis for suggesting that he would be a better husband to Lori than I. Then I ordered the arrest of The Dobsons. Some for execution, others for questioning. That made Lori help Viken and Dorthea escape. Then I tried to negotiate with The Nomadic People's Coalition, just some citizens on Damascus Station, but Dorthea kicked me off and turned her security forces on me. So Loreena took over and that led to The Nomadic Peoples declaring Independence. Meanwhile I tried to negotiate with The Eternal Empire on Belsavis but it went nowhere. I ended up breaking my promise to help save Belsavis, which made The Imperials in The Senate turn on me. In short everyone is mad at me for some reason or another and all the good I've done for The Imperium is being ignored due to recent failures, and I have no allies."

Martin Dux

M
Martin listened to all the young man had to say. He was of a clearer mind now, less lost than before, becoming a lot more focused. From all he heard, it truly did sound awful. Rex was alone, truly alone. Here Martin was drifting on a secluded part of Spindle. He'd kept tabs on the lion knights, of course. He'd been in contest contact with them, instructing the teachers on what exactly to do, giving them advice. He needed to help Rex, in some way. But the younger man had already said enough as to how. He needed someone in his corner, Martin would suit this need perfectly, as he always had.

"You still have me," Martin said, a waning smile spread over his face, "Don't worry about all this, my boy. We'll fix this somehow, we always do. What you need to worry about is your people, and the empire."

He hoped to sway Rex's thoughts, it would be for the best for him to keep his mind off of it. Besides, he meant what he said earlier, Rex was surrounded by souls. They were the people his empire stood upon. But all that Rex had said worried Martin deeply. He cared a lot about the young king. He was powerful in the force, although he couldn't tell it. But above that, he was a cunning tactician, a sensible ruler, and a good friend.

"What do you think should be our next course of action? What seems to be our worst point opposition?"

Rex Valhoun Rex Valhoun

The man's words were reassuring. It was good to have allies, and so far most of his allies were from The Order of The Lion. As for Martin's question of opposition, the answer was simple. The Dobsons. They still had people in The Senate, military, and other government organizations, and without the majority of them in custody, retaliation for the arrest warrants was almost certain. The Imperium was their best source of income and power, and Rex was certain they would use everything they had to take it back...which is why Loreena's betrayal was increasingly bothersome.

"The Dobsons. I'm not too concerned about Viken and Dorthea. I wanted them for questioning. They, along with Lori, seem to think I'm going to torture them or something. But Severus, and Linn...they're still free. I need them in prison at the least. They have too many resources. They could take The Imperium Down. I've sent Jude Brax Jude Brax and The Order to find The Dobsons. I also put a bounty out for their capture. Arken was caught and is on his way to prison on Spindle, but Linn and Severus are still around."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom