Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faction Suggestions

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Dear Faction Admins: Faction Suggestions

Here are some suggestions I have. Cheers! :D

• 1. A Suggestion Box (AKA Soap Box Forum)
    People in this Faction have suggestions and ideas they would like to publicly discuss. Public opinion is a powerful catalyst for change and transparency with the member base can be very a good thing. I would like to see a place to put these suggestions and discussions specifically. :D

[*]2. A Patch List (AKA The Resource & Information Forum)
  • This Faction changes often. More often than I can possibly comprehend really. Some of my most personal missteps on this website have happened because the Faction changed so quickly, so drastically, and with such terrible transparency and written explanations; that I could not keep up. Becoming frustrated and angry very quickly. Thusly, I would like to see a publicly listed and pinned Patch List or a similar Admins Update Forum.
    A Patch LIst is similar to a Admins Announcements Forum. It is a dedicated place to put all of the changes that the FA's have stamped and approved. It lists what happened, why it happened, and why they felt the change was necessary and good. It is not: This might be happening. It is: This happened.
  • Corvus' Weekly Updates are super helpful in a similar regard to this idea. :D

[*]3. More Polls about our Expectations
  • As a member I have expectations about this Faction that do not align with StarWars Canon. I believe this is a player run custom group. Not an attempt to exemplify Movie-Coruscant. I think the FA's would benefit greatly if they polled the faction community more often for our expectations. These can be a great educational opportunity for everyone. Naturally, this initiative can be taken by FAs and members alike at any time. :D

[*]4. A compare and contrast between Senate Power and Community Power. And how that can be a good thing again.
  • Change happens when the player base ask the FAs to do something, and they do it. Change can also happen when the Senate characters receive power from the community as well. This can be a positive thing. This has been a positive thing. Also yes. This can be a problematic thing. And yes. This has been a problematic thing. Let's talk again about how we can give real power to give our Senate characters and then let those characters have fun with it. Compare and contrast. Discuss and discuss alike. :D

[*]5. Transparency?
  • Change happens when the player base asks the FAs to do something, and they do it. This process is not well understood. How do the FAs respond and reply to our suggestions? Do they have meetings? Do they PM each other? Is there a skype video chat were we can sit and watch them eat donuts all day? How do our FA's show transparency and trust during this process? How will our FAs communicate with us? Where do our suggestions stop and where does the real paperwork begin?
  • Corvus' Weekly Updates are amazing in this regard. Thanks Corvus. :D

[*]6. How Faction Rules affect us?
  • I have been a Pub from Day 1. Even so, most of this Faction's rules have never affected my Faction roleplays. Which is hilarious. Has anybody discussed this? Maybe we should, because...
    I have never had a character prosecuted IC for breaking:
    The Jedi Code
  • Republic Law (assumed or contractual)
  • Military Rules of Engagement (assumed or contractual)
  • A Galactic Charter (assumed or contractual)
  • Engaging in a War Crime (etc.)
  • My equipment
  • My free Jedi starships
  • The Senate Building itself

[*]...Long story short. IC prosecutions are so rare that you might never even see one the entire time you are a Faction member. Where art thy tribunals o' Republic? Why have our courts abandoned us? :D

___

You are welcome to discuss any, or all, of these suggestions below. Please attempt organization in doing so. You may create a new thread to discuss specific points as necessary. This Faction has Moderators who can assist you at any time.

Otherwise this post is for posterity. Enjoy. :D

1. Suggestions can be made at any time via the OOC section of the Faction Forums. It's partly what that section is for, actually. Thoughts, suggestions, discussions, questions, etc.

2. I agree that a list of changes would be nice to have, but Corvus and her weekly updates do a pretty good job of keeping everything heads up and keeping the faction well informed anyway, so in my honest opinion we're really not hurting for anything like this.

3. Polling for the expectations and wishes of the community should be completely and totally orchestrated by members of said community that are seeking change or adjustment to the Faction.

You can't expect a FA to come to you every day and say, "Hey! Am I doing a good enough job for you?", no, that should be something you make the conscious decision to do something about. I know if I were having to keep up with the lot of you as an FA I wouldn't spoil any of you in such a way. You want something, say something and see if anyone else wants it too.

4. Community and IC power should remain entirely separate. Just because you represent an entire planet doesn't mean you should have any community based power. If you want to change the way the Senate is structured, make a suggestion, but you should be no stronger than a fresh out of basic trooper or ready to train paddy.

I find our administrative team incredibly level headed, for what it's worth, and I've only had issues with anyone on the administrative team once that I can remember, and on said occasion it was a comment taken poorly on my part.

5. Uhhhmmm... PMs... OOC forums... things changing as frequently as you claimed early on in your post should show you that things are happening, and if you have questions then ask them. Our FA team are always trying to enhance our experience, so if you want to add to that or see something you disagree with then speak up and use your big kid voice.

6. If you want to be thrown in jail for war crimes then I'll throw you in jail myself, but I don't have eyes in the back of my head. I must have missed these occasions. As for law breaking in character, unless you get yourself caught by someone or write that someone finds out, how is anyone supposed to do anything? It's your character, so what happens to them is ultimately up to you, and if you think FAs are going to punish you for something you did in character in a thread, you're wrong. Now, if you start flaming people or causing useless drama, I expect they'll step in and do something about it... out of character...

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Varus Shatterstar said:
1. Suggestions can be made at any time via the OOC section of the Faction Forums. It's partly what that section is for, actually. Thoughts, suggestions, discussions, questions, etc.
That's fine. Supply and Demand dictates that special treatment be received when something becomes 'special'. I can see where this is coming from.

Varus Shatterstar said:
2. I agree that a list of changes would be nice to have, but Corvus and her weekly updates do a pretty good job of keeping everything heads up and keeping the faction well informed anyway, so in my honest opinion we're really not hurting for anything like this.
I'm hurting for something like this. If 'we' doesn't care, that's how 'we' gotta play. But in two years of changes and restructures to this group. Man. Working via assumptions, shrugs, and this week's version of 'common sense' gets old. Lol. How does the Jedi Order work this month again? Council, no Council? Grandmaster #70, Shman'Master #23? Did we redo the Military Rankings this week, or not? Is (Havok, Wraith, Rogue,) Squadron still a thing? ...Idk. Maybe. Nobody keeps track of stuff like this or the old postings linger on forever. We just roll with it. :p

Varus Shatterstar said:
3. Polling for the expectations and wishes of the community should be completely and totally orchestrated by members of said community that are seeking change or adjustment to the Faction. You can't expect a FA to come to you every day and say, "Hey! Am I doing a good enough job for you?", no, that should be something you make the conscious decision to do something about. I know if I were having to keep up with the lot of you as an FA I wouldn't spoil any of you in such a way. You want something, say something and see if anyone else wants it too.
I agree. But staying informed is a balancing act. FAs can serve entirely as Forum Janitors and have a long happy career. Other times they can take initiative and act decisively. Neither is wrong. Neither is absolute. However, both gain from remaining informed of the expectations of the people they serve. Perhaps this is less of a suggestion and more of a 'life lesson'. Call it what you will. :)

Good thoughts.

Varus Shatterstar said:
4. Community and IC power should remain entirely separate. Just because you represent an entire planet doesn't mean you should have any community based power. If you want to change the way the Senate is structured, make a suggestion, but you should be no stronger than a fresh out of basic trooper or ready to train paddy.
This is an opinion. Worthy of discussion. *wink* I have heard wonderful arguments on both ends. Both which would make for a stronger community and great RPs. :D

Varus Shatterstar said:
5. Uhhhmmm... PMs... OOC forums... things changing as frequently as you claimed early on in your post should show you that things are happening, and if you have questions then ask them. Our FA team are always trying to enhance our experience, so if you want to add to that or see something you disagree with then speak up and use your big kid voice.
Perhaps my suggestion is more of a question then. Perhaps I am asking for more public statements rather than private assurances. However, I understand that being accountable to the former is much more difficult to achieve. :p

Varus Shatterstar said:
6. If you want to be thrown in jail for war crimes then I'll throw you in jail myself, but I don't have eyes in the back of my head. I must have missed these occasions. As for law breaking in character, unless you get yourself caught by someone or write that someone finds out, how is anyone supposed to do anything? It's your character, so what happens to them is ultimately up to you, and if you think FAs are going to punish you for something you did in character in a thread, you're wrong. Now, if you start flaming people or causing useless drama, I expect they'll step in and do something about it... out of character...
Nah. I enjoy that fact that 100% of our RPs don't affect the Meta. I've watched the Coruscanti Senate Hall get torn down many times. Security increases, patrols double, and checkpoint IDs are submitted in triplicate. Yet still. The Senate Hall will be destroyed again, and again, and again. ...And nobody has to care. Lol. It's beautiful. Include what you want. Ignore what you don't. There is no Meta. There is only the Map. I enjoy that simplicity.

I suggest it only as an idea for further Senatorial Oversight Committees and RP plotings. Sometimes the poor Senators need something else to do.

___

Great comments. :D

Megan Rhymes said:
I'm hurting for something like this. If 'we' doesn't care, that's how 'we' gotta play. But in two years of changes and restructures to this group. Man. Working via assumptions, shrugs, and this week's version of 'common sense' gets old. Lol. How does the Jedi Order work this month again? Council, no Council? Grandmaster #70, Shman'Master #23? Did we redo the Military Rankings this week, or not? Is (Havok, Wraith, Rogue,) Squadron still a thing? ...Idk. Maybe. Nobody keeps track of stuff like this or the old postings linger on forever. We just roll with it.
This is the only portion of your thread that I find entirely valid. Yes, we could do with a little brushing up of the ranks. Yes, we should have a live and up to date thread or notice on the Faction main page of those who hold Senate roles and seats on the Jedi Council. Yes, we should be a bit more informative on many fronts in regards to this faction, but I'll say this. If you can show me a faction on any role playing site on any board across any type of fantasy or science fiction community in the entire world that is completely and totally informative and caters to every last possible desire of it's community then I'll show you a friggen unicorn. This kind of stuff takes time, so combine suggestion numbers 1 and 2 and open up a formal request in the OOC that addresses this and we'll get some people to start fleshing this kind of stuff out.

Megan Rhymes said:
I agree. But staying informed is a balancing act. FAs can serve entirely as Forum Janitors and have a long happy career. Other times they can take initiative and act decisively. Neither is wrong. Neither is absolute. However, both gain from remaining informed of the expectations of the people they serve. Perhaps this is less of a suggestion and more of a 'life lesson'. Call it what you will. Good thoughts

I am of the opinion that a FA's job is to keep the community informed and play Mother and Father. By this I mean, while us selfish, tunnel vision having children think inwardly about our experiences here, it's up to them to keep us from yelling at, cursing at, fighting with and berating one another so that things can run as smoothly as possible. If you want creativity and initiative it needs to come from you. They have more than enough to worry about, and if you step up and get the community involved then it can only look better on you.

Now, don't take that the wrong way and think that I mean they are meant to be hall monitors and nothing else, but I do believe that if they have something they'd like to share or gather input on, if they would like to show initiative and grow something for this community, then they will. They have just as much freedom to do so as a member who just joined yesterday. I'll illustrate my opinions by linking this as a prime example of FA input...

What sort of Jedi are you?

^ This is incredibly well written and well outlined by our own [member="Kian Karr"], who took what I'm certain was at least an hour or so out of his day to create for us a guide to the Jedi world and help with any existing and new members decide for themselves just what kind of Jedi they are or are going to be. I'd say that our FAs do much more than the average member. It's up to you, the member of the faction, to do a little more.

Megan Rhymes said:
This is an opinion. Worthy of discussion. *wink* I have heard wonderful arguments on both ends. Both which would make for a stronger community and great RPs.
It's really not. No one said that if you are a Faction Admin that you can't hold a position of power ICly or for that matter, no one ever said if you're on the Council or the Senate that you can't become a Faction Admin... eventually...

That's something that needs to be earned, though, and I'll stand by that opinion as long as I write here at this site. Just because you created a character and made them a Senator does not mean that you should have ANY OOC sway. In fact, to think that you would deserve such a thing is a little crazy to me. I mean I guess I should just go make a Senator tomorrow and begin trying to claim my role as the ruler of the "Shatterstar's Speakeasy" Out of Character thread... cuz... my name... right? No. That's ridiculous.

Megan Rhymes said:
Perhaps my suggestion is more of a question then. Perhaps I am asking for more public statements rather than private assurances. However, I understand that being accountable to the former is much more difficult to achieve.
More Public statements? You mean you'd rather be better informed, in which case I'll point you to my answer at number 2. Ask and you shall receive.(If what you're asking for is within reason)

Megan Rhymes said:
Nah. I enjoy that fact that 100% of our RPs don't affect the Meta. I've watched the Coruscanti Senate Hall get torn down many times. Security increases, patrols double, and checkpoint IDs are submitted in triplicate. Yet still. The Senate Hall will be destroyed again, and again, and again. ...And nobody has to care. Lol. It's beautiful. Include what you want. Ignore what you don't. There is no Meta. There is only the Map. I enjoy that simplicity. I suggest it only as an idea for further Senatorial Oversight Committees and RP plotings. Sometimes the poor Senators need something else to do.
Well then that's really up to the Senators, now isn't it? Either way, this is just another question that I can simply answer with this. "Tell the right people." In this case, the right people are not the Faction Administrators. If the Senate want to start knocking heads and throwing people in jail for committing war crimes or assassinating someone without being given the order to do so or something extreme like that, then they will.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
[member="Varus Shatterstar"] Ah. I get it now. Making suggestions is easy but working to help the Faction is hard. Is that it? You're unconvinced that my remarks will have any sort of positive impact. You think I'm gripping. You're not actually listening, you're trying to suggest something too. Mm. Welp. That's fair. As the saying goes, don't suggest anything unless you're willing to step up and do it yourself. Don't complain if you're not willing to fix anything. Come to me with solutions, not more problems. I get that.

So. Do you have any suggestions for where I could start then Varus? If making suggestions is too easy for your personal taste, how then might I be of greater service? :D

I don't think you're griping and I do believe that your suggestions are capable of warranting impact, but I disagree that sitting here and telling everyone what should be done will get anything done. I'd say the quote, "Lead by example.", applies perfectly here.

So, do something. Collaborate a list of all active Jedi on the Council and all active Senators. If you bring it to an FA they may very well post your pretty work on the front page of the faction. If that's not your style then think about revamping the Republic's ranking system from recruit to general. If it's what they're looking for they'll vote on it and use it. Maybe even make some pretty medals for specific acts of valor or services performed by the men and women of the Republic.

Anything and everything will help, even this discussion, but I think a little action is more warranted than continuing talks that we've been having for days now in other threads.

[member="Megan Rhymes"]

Jsc

Disney's Princess
That post. That is what I wanted Varus. That right there. Pure communication. Thank you. I hear you. And your right. Action speaks louder than words. I suppose making suggestions isn't enough anymore. Not for you. And not for me. So I'll do it. Everything that's in my OOC power and according to my IRL schedule.

Now. Will it met your standards? No. Lol. Probably not. But you have my word I'll get right to it.

Thanks. Cheers! :D

[member="Varus Shatterstar"]

Glad I could help, and for the record, I'm not that hard to impress.

I don't care if you draw me a picture with the sun and a flower on it, every little bit helps. I'm just hesitant to say that "Hey, we should totally do this..." is even a little bit at all.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
[member="Zak Dymo"] What, are you kidding me? That's amazing! It's postings and accountability like that, that really make me smile. Way to go Zak. Now your talking my language. :D

[member="Megan Rhymes"]

I really appreciate you putting this up, and we will all be reviewing what people want to happen as the sentiment has already been shared - that this is a Faction that everyone contributes to and makes happen.

And the only comment I'll make now is a funny one (strange not humorous). Since the New Year I can't think of one significant thing the FA team has changed. All changes have either been organic or though IC leadership primarily.

:)

[member="Megan Rhymes"]

I will elaborate a little bit on what [member="Corvus Raaf"] said.

1. A suggestion box is in place. It is the responsibility of the members of this faction to make a detailed, constructive post in the OOC section outlining what they would like to see happen. That forum is looked at on a daily basis by all three faction admins including myself, [member="Kian Karr"], and [member="Corvus Raaf"]. It is also looked at by nearly every member of the faction who are active.

2. A Patch List. The faction does change. It does not change on a daily basis with respect to major things that must be interacted with by all members. When that does happen, it is broadcast either via Mass PM or the Galactic Republic Weekly news. Otherwise, it is posted as a sticky in the OOC discussion board for all to see. No matter which option we choose, some people will still not read it. That unfortunately is out of our control, however all three options are very visible to the members of this faction. All of the weekly news is archived on the front page so that anyone wishing to review old updates can cycle through the main page and read them. Any other changes are stickied to the appropriate boards.

3. Polls Regarding Expectations. The Galactic Republic is a Republic that has aged something like 800 years since the events of Canon Star Wars. This will not and will never be like the Republic of Old. Nor will it be what it was six months ago. The faction as a whole need to understand these two very important things. There are vast similarities between Canon and SWRP Republic, however there are key differences implemented by board restrictions and player desires. The admin teams as well that have come and gone make their own changes that are out of our collective control. The three FA now will not be the three FA forever. Changes will inevitably happen, for better or worse. That being said, anyone is able to make a poll or ask collective opinions regarding the faction so long as this is done in a non-aggressive, constructive, and open-minded manner.

4. A Compare/Contrast Between Senate & Community Power. This is being discussed to outline clearly the authority that the Senate will have. However, the faction administration will always take final say in the direction of the faction. To maintain order, direction, and structure of the forum are a few of the responsibilities behind the faction leadership. That being said, we are not looking to make the Senate a useless body where nothing happens, however, certain responsibilities and precautions have to be taken into consideration to prevent an IC takeover of the principals and ideals of the faction, and to not overstep their boundaries and infringe on another person's ability to RP their characters.

5. Transparency. Again, I will direct you to numbers 2 and 3 on this list. The FA make every attempt to be entirely transparent in their opinions. We post polls, we post discussions, we post weekly updates, we pin things, we send PM's, we open the floor to our members. We do all of these things because we care. I opened a poll asking the faction if they desired an open Skype chat. The vast majority said no. Therefore, I created a stickied thread posting the request for anyone who desired to speak with us the ability to see our Skype ID and post their own. That can be found in the OOC discussion. I accept any request from anyone on SWRP. We can do little more to be any more transparent than we already have. However, nobody wants to watch me via webcam straighten my hair and watch Say Yes To The Dress. Unless you do, then you're just weird.

6. How Faction Rules Affect You. They don't. Until they do. What I mean by this is you are held responsible for your IC decisions. Perhaps not immediately, perhaps not for 3 months down the line. Perhaps never. Nobody reads every thread on the board. So we can't possibly know what everyone is up to 100% of the time. If it comes to our attention that a character broke an IC law, perhaps there will be ramifications if there is a logical way that other characters would learn of it. If it was an OOC rule that was broken it will be handled privately, not publicly, by the FA team, or the site administration. It's that simple.

I hope this helps.

[member="Varus Shatterstar"]

Best of luck to you if you ever attempt to throw me in jail. *does some push-ups, cracks the core of Endor*

;)

Varus Shatterstar said:
Have you seen these guns? -kisses biceps-

Obama can't even take these. SCADOOSH!
bored-gif.gif

skin, bone, and arrogance
To pile on to the Senate thing... a little more detail into how it operates in an IC level would be helpful. From a newbie's perspective, it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. A Prime Minister leading a Senate that doesn't appear to have political parties? Counter-intuitive at best...

I'm all for grand titles but they really ought to make sense in context (both IC and when it comes to simulating a functioning government).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom