Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Exlosive Crab Droid

Status
Not open for further replies.
mark_m_07.jpg

(Ignore scale of image and imagine the size of a small crab)
Image Source: http://conceptrobots.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/concept-robot-designs-by-mark-molnar.html
Intent: To provide the ASA with an advanced mine/IED capability
Development Thread: No
Manufacturer: Haor Chall
Model: CS/EX 01 Explosive Crab Droid
Affiliation: ASA
Modularity: No
Production: Mass-production
Material: Plasteel, wiring
Classification: Four
Weight: 5kg
Height: 10cm
Width: 30cm Diameter
Movement: Quadrupedal
Armaments: Self-destruct
Misc. Equipment: EM and visual sensor, colour changing hull.
Description: The explosive crab droid is an attempt to disrupt enemy supply lines and logistics and to limit battlefield mobility in Infantry Fighting Vehicles. The droid possesses a relatively limited intelligence, to keep costs down. It is deployed to the battlefield, often by drop from drones, and will then either head to pre-designated locations or use its tactical decision engine to find a suitable place to locate itself.

Once it has found a suitable location, the droid will attempt to dig a small hole for itself using claws and a small laser on the underside of its body. It will then change the colour of its upper plating to match its surroundings as close as possible, or can cover itself if in sandy/muddy environments. It is hard to spot visually, even by dismounted infantry from a distance of 5m or more. In the urban environment, it will often hide on the roadside or under civilian vehicles and then rapidly scuttle out and attempt to destruct under military vehicles.

A visual sensor, and passive electromagnetic sensor on the upper casing will scan for approaching enemy vehicles. When an enemy vehicle passes of its location, the droid will launch its central body up out of the ground with a one-use microrepulsor and self-destruct. The central radial section of the body contains 5kg of detonite. The explosive is intended to detonate close to the under-surface of any vehicle, on the off-chance that an air-speeder is relatively high above the ground and has a particle shield that extends underneath it may prevent effective operation.

The crab is designed as an anti-armour mine only. It it likely visible to soldiers from a couple of metres away. It would still be lethal if somehow set off by infantry. However, it is not designed to cover a wide area with shrapnel, but direct most explosive fore upwards. A vehicle would need very thick, reinforced hull plating to the underside to prevent damage. This droid is designed to punch through the armour of main battle tanks.

The droid has some weaknesses. Whilst some components have EM-shielding to prevent detection, its more sensitive components are not – to reduce costs. This means the droid is susceptible to Ion pulses. Whilst effective against speeders, it obviously cannot impeded to travel of dropships.

[member="Raziel"]

I saw this and thought it was awesome so I wanted to work on seeing it through.

And I just mostly had a lot of logistics questions if that's ok. First and actually the only real problem facing this design is. . . .the size. You're creating a droid mine essentially, which is an awesome idea. However, at 10 cm its about the size of the average hand grenade or small mine in real life. As such I'm concerned with how much explosives you can actually pack into the machine while also putting in the mechanical parts for it to move, and the droid brain with enough intelligence and sensors to detect and act upon terrain, camouflage itself, and notice nearby enemies. This is mostly an issue because in your description you say:

Raziel said:
Description: The explosive crab droid is an attempt to disrupt enemy supply lines and logistics and to limit battlefield mobility in Infantry Fighting Vehicles. The droid possesses a relatively limited intelligence, to keep costs down. It is deployed to the battlefield, often by drop from drones, and will then either head to pre-designated locations or use its tactical decision engine to find a suitable place to locate itself.

Once it has found a suitable location, the droid will attempt to dig a small hole for itself using claws and a small laser on the underside of its body. It will then change the colour of its upper plating to match its surroundings as close as possible, or can cover itself if in sandy/muddy environments. It is hard to spot visually, even by dismounted infantry from a distance of 5m or more. In the urban environment, it will often hide on the roadside or under civilian vehicles and then rapidly scuttle out and attempt to destruct under military vehicles.

A visual sensor, and passive electromagnetic sensor on the upper casing will scan for approaching enemy vehicles. When an enemy vehicle passes of its location, the droid will self-destruct with enough explosive force to put a hole in anything that hasn’t been specifically reinforced.
What level of vehicle is it punching a decent hole in? How does it fare against shields? At its size and what is being packed in this might be stretching it.

My suggestions would be the development of powerful explosive components that work in small quantities to the same level of the average ones.

Or make the droid larger, around 36.5cm if its meant for vehicles. And explain more about its functions. Is it anti-vehicle, anti-personnel, or a mix, and what is its effectiveness on either? How thick a hull does it deal with, and do shields cause an issue?

Do these sound ok with you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom