Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech EX-M2 Weapon System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
Intent: To balance out the main railgun armament on the M1-01 Powered Armor
Development Thread: N/A
Manufacturer: Tenloss Corporation
Model: EX-M2
Affiliation: Tenloss Corporation
Modularity: N/A
Production: Limited
Material: Durasteel, Alusteel, electromagnets, and various other railgun components
Classification: Railgun
Size: Mounted - Powered Armor
Length: 1m
Weight:
  • Unloaded - 25kg
  • Loaded - 45kg
Ammunition Type: tungsten projectile "beads"
Ammunition Capacity: 10,000 "beads" in hopper
Effective Range: 1,500m
Optimum Range: 4,000m
Rate of Fire: Fully Automatic - 150 rounds/minute - 8 round burst
Special Features:
  • Magnetically accelerated
  • Dual barreled
  • Extremely powerful penetration power (can punch through 1in of Starship-grade Durasteel with relative ease)
  • High ammunition capacity
  • Effective against infantry and vehicles
Description:

Originally envisioned as a form of rotating barrel style railgun based off a Mandal Hypernautics anti-small craft design, the EX-M2 Weapon system found its final form as a dual barreled monster.

The weapon system fires using a series of powerful electromagnets that propel the projectile, a 5mm "bead" made of tungsten, downrange at a velocity averaging around 4,000m/s. The combination of tungsten ammunition and a huge amount of velocity allows the weapon to easily penetrate a solid inch of durasteel at effective ranges, making the weapon system effective versus a wide array of vehicular targets, installations, and infantry. The weapon is of average accuracy for a railgun and has an effective range of 1,500 meters.

The weapon's main drawbacks are fairly simple. First, the weapon is a power hog, requiring a powerful source of energy to function. Second, the recoil is outstanding and powerful, requiring anything it is mounted on to feature some sort of recoil suppression. These two together remove the weapon from the use of unenhanced infantry entirely, even larger beings such as wookiees, for example. On top of this, the weapon features a fairly low rate of fire for a dual barreled weapon, a rate capping out at 150 rounds per minute. Lastly, as the weapon is electrically powered, the weapon is susceptible to EMP and Ion attacks. When damaged by electrical means, the weapon shuts down through an emergency safety protocol, preventing the weapon from sending powerful feedback that could potentially damage the energy source. When this occurs, the weapon requires approximately five to fifteen minutes to reboot and finish safety checks, the time delay relative to the damage taken.

In addition, while the weapon is fully automatic the powerful electronics responsible for accelerating the projectile have set limits to prolong the equipment's longevity and prevent catastrophic malfunctions in the field. As such, the weapon is designed to fire eight round bursts of fully automatic fire before overrides prevent the weapon from firing further. After a two to four second cool down, the weapon is able to resume firing.

As a closing comment, it should be noted that in this weapon's case, the designation for the system emerged from the name given to the railgun system by testers. The original designation was the Tenloss Enhanced Quality Model 1 Heavy Railgun System. When testers began referring to the weapon by their chosen name, the designation was changed to the EX-M2, the lettering meaning "Extinction - Model 2"

RESEARCH REVIEW

Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review

Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review

WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review

WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review

SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

Popo said:
Length: 1m
Weight:
Unloaded - 25kg
Loaded - 45kg
Ammunition Type: tungsten projectile "beads"
Ammunition Capacity: 10,000 "beads" in hopper
Effective Range: 2km
Optimum Range: 5km
Rate of Fire: Fully Automatic - 150 rounds/minute

Popo said:
The weapon system fires using a series of powerful electromagnets that propel the projectile, a 5mm "bead" made of tungsten, downrange at a velocity averaging around 4,000m/s.
The above, is ho-ho-holy crap. I know its meant to go on power armor, but to elaborate, this thing is about equal to an M2 Browning with about 1/3rd the ROF. That is the best RL Equivalency I can think of. Its will have a bit more penetrating power due to the small size of the Slugs, but all in all, its about the same.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M2_Browning

I'd like to see the effective range dropped to 1,500 meters. Its a slug, but it out-distances a lot of sniper rifles.

Limited Production saves this thing in my opinion, but, I'd like to see something here. Its fully automatic, I can dig that, but how about a charge up time between bursts? Something like a 2-4 second wind up as it where while the electromagnets charge up.

Finally, I would like to see some reference to rail degeneration. Something along the lines of a maximum amount of time it can fire continuously.

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
[member="Draco Vereen"]
I'll edit the range down a bit. I really just kinda tossed a number out there lol

As for the IRL parallels I tend to compare it more to a 20mm or 40mm autocannon, but point seen.

Hmmm... Tell you what. Would you be open to meeting in the middle with the length of fire bit? Rather than a wind up/charge up, leave it able to fire initially with no wind up, but put a cool down between bursts and put a cap on the burst amount? Say... 8 round burst (4 per barrel) with maybe a 2-4 second cool down to prevent electrical burnout?

Popo said:
Rather than a wind up/charge up, leave it able to fire initially with no wind up, but put a cool down between bursts and put a cap on the burst amount? Say... 8 round burst (4 per barrel) with maybe a 2-4 second cool down to prevent electrical burnout?
Sounds Fine to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom