Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did Someone Order a War?
Eros_Large.png
EROS.jpg
Sources: Image | Text Custom
Mass Drivers, with Love

Intent: Frigate and Heavy Ground Vehicle Mass Driver. Accurate and Powerful but slow to fire.
Development Thread: Here *Fifteen Posts Allocated For this Tech
Manufacturer: Fire For Effect
Model: Eros Large
Affiliation: Fire For Effect Closed Market, Special Orders Only.

Firefor_Effect.jpg
Modularity: No
Production: Mass Produced
Material: TD1 Alloy 50% Trimantium | 50% Duravlex
Anti Corr 113 (Coating and Finish)
Depleted Baradium - Often used in APR ammunition, it carries no explosive potential in itself.
Rhydonium | Detonite - Explosive Fuel | Detonating Trigger
Classification: Frigate and Heavy Walker Sized Mass Driver | Terror Weapon
Size: Frigate Sized Ship, or Large Vehicle
Length: 15 Meters
Weight: 10 Tons
Ammunition Type: Mass Driver, APE, SPR and NR options.
Ammunition Capacity: 60 Shots on Average
Effective Range:
Space: Long Range Turbo Laser
Ground: Half the Average Turbolaser Distance, 50 km Maximum Lethal, 20 km Optimal.
Rate of Fire: Single Shot, 2 Rounds a Minute.
Special Features:
Large Ground Ordinance. Mass Driver. Slow and Heavy for ground vehicles.
Three types of Round, Armor Piercing Explosive, Shield Piercing based off of SPA designs, and Anti Infantry Napalm.
Mass Drivers are traditionally accurate but do not track targets after being fired.

Description:

To provide the OS with some seriously heavy firepower, Fire For Effect decided to go big for their second One Sith exclusive weapon design. They wanted an accurate weapon, that packed enough punch to breach shields, hulls, walls and facilities, as well as counter some of the super heavy tanks on the field today. Designed mostly for heavy walkers, the Eros Large can be fitted on mobile weapon platforms, large turrets and frigates, but the sheer force of its recoil and stress would rip apart a gunship or most small vehicles trying to use it. Corvettes attempting to use it, would depend on how well they were braced to fire the gun, in many cases it'll be too much for them unless fitted specially.

The shockwave from this weapon on the ground is not insubstantial, meaning everyone, everywhere for miles is going to hear the weapon go off, and feel it up close as well, quite possibly shredding their eardrums if they are not wearing a helmet or taking precautions. Often the vehicle or turret itself will do something to dampen the noise, such as with sonic dampeners. This will however not stop the weapon being registered by sensors, it is simply too hard to hide the energy discharged in most cases, even from orbit for long.

Strength, Firing Arc and Ammo Count

The weapon is usually turreted allowing for a wider firing arc, this does depend on the ship or vehicle in question, some may mount it fixed in place or with less of a firing arc if they so choose. Having the power of seven turbo lasers, when shields are down, it'll penetrate most hulls it comes up against in the frigate or cruiser categories. Given its relatively low ammo count for an extended space battle, it limits its use as an Anti Frigate or Anti Cruiser class weapon, rather than vs modern destroyers or bigger. Alternatively it is a useful way to breach a larger enemy capital ship and facilities for boarding or breaching actions, only in smaller areas to force entry.

Materials

The Eros Large has an Anti Corrosive finish. As with most FFE weapons and designs of note, the surface of the weapon is coated with Anti Corr 113, to give it resistance to the elements and weathering over time, also granting it minor acid, biological and chemical resistance. Though its a large and obvious target for anyone in a battle, the compound material TD1 it is made of, gives it a good tensile strength from the Trimantium and solid professional armored finish from the Duravlex.

Shield Piercing Rounds - SPR Rounds

Using concepts first designed in their SPA rounds, SPR projectiles have tipped ion charges, fired by micro detonite explosives upon contact with a particle shield, or other shield resistant to physical penetration. The SPR is more basic than the SPA design, in that it merely detonates its ion charge, breaches the shield and then its main payload is ejected forward to impact against its target. Usually this will be a standard but large mass driver round, moving at very high speed and likely to breach all but the toughest of frigate or cruiser sized hulls. The SPR lacks the subsequent explosive damage of the full armor piercing APE round however, so it is merely impact and structural damage with whatever it collides with.

Often but not always, these rounds will be used first in a battle, followed up by full armor piercing explosive rounds, or anti infantry ordinance behind it, to target already weakened spots on a ship, or shoot into ground facilities. It is worth noting, there are certain shields that have multiple layers for example, and thus technologies out there that will reduce the effectiveness of these shield piercing rounds.

Armor Piercing Explosive - APE Rounds

Armor Piercing Rounds are often depleted baradium rounds, capable of slicing through most armor. When a shield is down, coupled with the fact this is a powerful mass driver, and a big round, it is a serious threat to all but the toughest of hulls for cruisers or below, and simply going through most things of that size it comes into contact with, if it connects. The resulting explosion delivered by the flammable Rhydonium compound contained within, will often set fire to a ship or facility internally, coating the surrounding area in explosive, combustible fuel. Detonite again is responsible for the fuels ignition, which causes it to explode split seconds after registering impact. Fire suppression will work on any ignited fuel eventually if it is not detonated for some reason by the initial blast, but any fuel burning on board may present other hazards to a vessel.

APE Rounds have a 75 Meter Killzone Radius, and a 150 Meter Casualty Radius.

Napalm Rounds - NR

Napalm Rounds, or Scorched Earth Rounds are Rhydonium set ablaze across a large area, burning alive anything unarmored. Delivered via three small canisters which separate well over the target, engulfing it in explosive fuel and then spilling further outward in a fiery wall of death. This largely hollow round will bounce off decent armor or a building, even a shield if it hits it directly, ideally releasing its payload beforehand. Flames are likely useless against well armored infantry, except to cause heat damage, shake moral and cause confusion in large formations. Nobody wants to be standing in a fire however, especially one that can have secondary explosions quite easily given this is Rhydonium. This NR round is utterly devastating vs civilian population centers as you can imagine, generating fear, panic and quite often explosive results. It can be partially effective at denying ground too for a short time, causing a wall of fire, until someone clears it with a well placed explosive shot to cause it to detonate. What it is especially good for, is just firing into structures, cities or large military complexes and letting them burn. At a distance certain atmospheric conditions may hamper its potential. For example it is weaker where the atmospheric conditions are very bad weather, such as storm winds to knock the canisters off course.

Napalm Rounds initially have a 150 Meter Napalm Casualty Radius, and a 250 Meter Burn Radius when the Liquid Fire fully spreads across the ground.

Strengths:
+ Powerful Weapon, worth about 7 turbolaser shots.
+ Accurate.
+ Projectile is relatively fast.
+ Sturdy Construction, Good Finish.
+ Variety of Ammo Types.

Weakness:
- Very slow fire rate.
- Big and obvious target.
- Doesn't track targets like a missile, has to be aimed ahead of the target in some cases, meaning smaller targets in space can avoid it.
- Vulnerable to Particle Shields - They are not immune however given its sheer penetrating power and option of SPA inspired ammunition.
- Very, Very LOUD, there is no way you'll ever fire this, and not show its energy signature up to anyone watching.
- Average to Low ammunition count, fine for most single battles, poor in an extended campaign unless reloaded. Larger than frigate ships could possibly stock more ammo, but even heavy walkers or super sized vehicles are going to need to take time out to reload somewhere.
- Requires a direct line to the target, artillery have the advantage of being able to go up and over things like hills or walls, this weapon cannot, it has to simply punch its way through.

Existing Chaos Techs:

MMDC
AV X05

Relevant Threads:
SPA Ammo
AT-AT at 20 Meters, for Length Guides, HAT-AT models are going to be a bit longer and heavier.
Contracts for Mass Production
RL Artillery Radius (Medium Here) Radius Guide - Light is usually 50, Regular 100, Heavy 200

Notes, Dev Thread Breakdown for Transparency
15 posts for the Eros Large
15 posts for the HAT-AT Walker
10 posts for the OS-FPHS
10 posts for the OS-PDS

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

Sere Reene said:
Space: Infinite unless stopped.
That would be appropriate for a theoretical range. In actuality, the practical effective range would be limited by its targeting computer and sensor performance. This would probably be a "long-range" (or equivalent to a long-range turbolaser).

Sere Reene said:
Ground: Double the Average Turbolaser Distance, 200 km Maximum Lethal, 20 km Optimal.
I think that 200 km is a bit much for this weapon. The massive Gustav railway gun had a range of 47 km.

I can see a maximum range of 50 km for this in an "area of effect" sort of way. The 20 km optimal looks spot on to me.

Sere Reene said:
Designed mostly for heavy walkers, the Eros Large can be fitted on mobile weapon platforms, large turrets and frigates, but the sheer force of it would rip apart a gunship or most vehicles in two. Corvettes would depend on how well they were braced to fire the gun, in many cases it'll be too much for them unless fitted specially.

Sere Reene said:
While it'll penetrate most things: Given its relatively low ammo count for an extended space battle, it makes it a good and often devastating Anti Frigate or Anti Cruiser class weapon rather than your primary gun for fighting larger capital ships. Alternatively its a useful way to breach a larger enemy capital ship or facility for boarding actions, and can be used to disable vital areas of a larger capital ship with precision.

For ease of judging in future starship submissions, I'd putting the "worth 5 turbolasers" somewhere in here as writing as well. At that equivalency, it'd probably be unusually effective against small capital ships, but I don't think it'd be unusually good against frigates or anything larger than that. Most of these ships that size can easily absorb 5 turbolasers worth of fire.

Sere Reene said:
Using concepts first designed in their SPA rounds, SPR projectiles have tipped ion charges, fired by micro detonite explosives upon contact with a particle shield, or other shield resistant to physical penetration. The SPR is more basic than the SPA design, in that it merely detonates its ion charge, breaches the shield and then its main payload is ejected forward to impact against its target. Usually this will be a standard but large mass driver round, moving at very high speed and likely to breach all but the toughest of hulls. The SPR lacks the subsequent explosive damage of the full armor piercing APE round however, so it is merely impact and structural damage with whatever it collides with.
Shield and hull breaching should not necessarily be a given effect. The opposing writer will always determine damage taken. It may be much better than standard weapons against a shields, but that doesn't necessarily take into account different varieties of shields, certain circumstances, or the strengths a certain ship's shields. For example, what if it meets a MC1013 Delphus 3 shield generator, which provides 3 layers of shielding? The ion charge might help penetrate the first layer, but it's not going to do much against the other two layers.

As a note, please tone down the implied power in the submission overall (Not just this part) to reflect this.

Sere Reene said:
Napalm Rounds have a 250 Meter Napalm Casualty Radius
This looks really high to me. How is the Rhydonium traveling that far from the epicenter of the blast?

Did Someone Order a War?
Done on Space Range.

Done on Ground Range. Fair trade off on the range because of the AOE.
1) Question. If this was non AOE, and I do a toned down sniper variation in the future, aiming for 200km. What sized dev thread would I need?

On Power:

I’ve removed the mention of disabling key areas of larger ships with precision. I’ve left in the line about being useful for boarding actions. Clarified what was meant by ripping apart smaller gunships or vehicles when mounted, this was intended as a weakness in that small ships or vehicles wouldn’t be able to handle the recoil or stress.

As I’m looking for a weapon that can be put on a frigate to be useful vs a frigate or cruiser, I’ve upped the power to 7 turbo laser shots. I’ve also put this in the description, not just the strength and weaknesses as advised.

As its my first ship gun sub - I was going off the capital ship penetrating power in the chaos canon techs, which had it at 5 turbo lasers, to be useful vs capital ships.

2) Question. What sort of firepower would be needed in turbolaser quantity to give a weapon a good chance against a modern destroyer or carrier for example? For subsequent weapons?

Napalm:

Fuel Air explosives have a large blast radius in a pear shape.
Modern Napalm weapons are about 100x300. Worse they spread out as they are liquid fuel, so the resulting area of effect is actually bigger. Mine is only shooting for that at max range, so I’ve indicated that on the sub.

*The only source I have for this is self-named experts.

I’ve updated the napalm rounds to work as described here, the intended 250 meter radius is the result of the spread, so I’ve indicated that above too.

Weaknesses:

Because of removing the range advantage, reducing initial napalm spread, taking off some of the shield penning power, and the notes about it being useful vs larger vessels, I’ve removed the slow to turn disadvantage in the weaknesses.

And a thank you. As it is my first ever space weapon, I appreciate all suggestions and answers you can offer. I doubly appreciate that you are clear as to why, as you have been, thank you!

[member="Gir Quee"]​

Sere Reene said:
1) Question. If this was non AOE, and I do a toned down sniper variation in the future, aiming for 200km. What sized dev thread would I need?

I'm assuming this is 200 km for ground use?

That's hard for me to say with certainty, though I would probably guess somewhere between 15-30 posts. If that's doable (and I'm not certain that it is), there would probably need to be some explanation for how this gun would deal with the challenges of shooting at such a great distance.

For example, how is targeting information is acquired? How does it's ballistics in how the shells deal with outside factors (wind, other weather, air friction, and gravity, all of which can vary by huge extremes on different worlds)? What is its method of accelerating the shell? Those are things that I would probably start thinking about right now.

Sere Reene said:
2) Question. What sort of firepower would be needed in turbolaser quantity to give a weapon a good chance against a modern destroyer or carrier for example? For subsequent weapons?
I'm assuming we're talking about ships above 1000 meters in length then?

There isn't any set standard that I think that everyone would absolutely agree upon, I would think about how quickly you want to do the damage. It's quite possible for a couple of standard turbolasers to slowly plink a star destroyer away given enough time. If you're looking for a weapon that will quickly punch through shields and into the hull itself, we're probably talking on the order of tens of turbolasers. Such power tends to have drawbacks though, usually in tracking.

Sere Reene said:
Fuel Air explosives have a large blast radius in a pear shape. Modern Napalm weapons are about 100x300. Worse they spread out as they are liquid fuel, so the resulting area of effect is actually bigger. Mine is only shooting for that at max range, so I’ve indicated that on the sub. *The only source I have for this is self-named experts. I’ve updated the napalm rounds to work as described here, the intended 250 meter radius is the result of the spread, so I’ve indicated that above too.
It looks legitimate though. Please make a note in the submission that this explodes well above the target area then. With that, there's a chance that atmospheric conditions could potentially interfere with this device's use. Just something to keep in mind.

[member="Sere Reene"]

Submission has been reported thus requiring a second judgement. Your second chance judgement is still available if you wish to second chance it.

Judge Assigned to rejudging: [member="Reshmar"]
RPJ Assigned to shadow: [member="Raziel"]

Did Someone Order a War?
[member="Spencer Varanin"]

Hey Spence. Thanks for letting me know. Please shelve it. I could pull up all the guns as powerful as this, but I respect the other writers too much to have their work called into question.

No reason to have others penalized for my bad luck.

Did Someone Order a War?
[member="Spencer Varanin"]

Yeah my mistake looking back is trying to put artillery and mass driver into one. Coupled with a frigate gun lol.
If I am being self critical at second glance the hollow napalm round here need less range to make sense in my head.

By all means shelf away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom