Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Enforcer Ion Cannon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ion_Cannon_WIP_by_Sinjinsmiley.png
Image Source: http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs23/f/2007/342/9/1/Ion_Cannon_WIP_by_Sinjinsmiley.png
Intent: To create an Ion Cannon that can disable up to cruiser size ships with a single, three round burst.
Development Thread: N/A
Manufacturer: Mandal Hypernautics
Model: Enforcer Ion Cannon
Affiliation: Ice
Modularity: No
Production: Unique / Prototype (no others will be built)
Material: Durasteel
Classification: Heavy Ion Cannon
Size: Ship Mounted
Length: 45 m (20 m for the ion cannon itself, 25 m for the capacitors holding the charge)
Weight: 50 metric tons
Ammunition Type: Reactor
Ammunition Capacity: Unlimited when attached to a reactor
Effective Range: Effective Range is Short, Maximum Range is Medium
Rate of Fire: 3 round burst
Special Features: This heavy ion cannon has the ability to knock out a ship up to cruiser class with a single shot. The only thing that can prevent a ship from being knocked offline, is if it has been specifically designed to resist ion shots.
Description: When the order was put in for the prototype, it was under the guise of being developed for use by system security forces. It was supposed to be an effort for security forces with only ships up to frigate size, to be able to effectively stop criminal vessels larger than theirs.

Working off the designs of the V-150 planetary ion cannons, which clearly show an Ion cannon can disable a ship completely with a single burst. This ion cannon was produced in a more practical scale conducive to frigates. Though a large corvette could, theoretically, install it as well. It is approximately 1/3 the size of it's bigger cousin. Due to it's smaller scale, it is unable to affect ships above cruiser size like the V-150 can. And because it is immobile, cannot attack faster moving ships 50 m and smaller. At least not without total surprise on it's side.

This was meant to be just a prototype. But once Ice gets his hands on it. He will close the project down. The design is proprietary, and he won't allow any others to be built or ordered by anyone else. So there will ONLY be one in existence.

Pros:
- Ability to disable a ship up to cruiser size with a single three round burst. (Unless ship is specifically protected against ion shots)
- Can store the required power for a single shot within it's capacitors.

Cons:
- Can only fire one, three round burst every 30 seconds.
- The power drain while charging up is so immense, that all other blaster based weapons are unable to fire until charging sequence is complete.
- Unless specialized mounting is added to a frigate, this weapon can only fire in a single direction.
- Ships heavy cruiser class and up cannot be disabled by a single burst, and the smallest vessels up to small freighters are to fast to target. (Unless completely taken by surprise)
- Cannot be upgraded to a "heavy" version to take down larger ships with a single burst.

Suggested Point Cost:
I had thought this gun, because of its size, and capability, should take 10 Capital Gun slots to further make it fair.

Please specify the exact maximum range, and its optimal range, in the effective range category. Long is too vague.

[member="Ice"]

Alright, I've just finished discussing this with our Factory Administrator, and I have a bunch of requests of edits and changes that are included regardless of development thread inclusion or not.

I'd like to know more about the reactor, such as the size and such, just a little quip in the description to let us know how big it is, whether it is exposed, etc. Not exactly important, but I'm sure people will ask you later.

Without Development Thread
  • Remove the "single shot" effect and replace with a shield damaging effect at a higher rate than what standard ion cannons are capable of.
  • Change the firing interval from 30 seconds to 15.
  • More of a suggestion, but allow the weapon to draw off another energy source (specify though) if no reactor is present with a lesser degree of power.
With a Development Thread
  • Change the "single shot" effect to: "Damages shields with increased power over other, modern, ion cannons, and has a low chance to disable a shield outright after repeated strikes. Can damage and cause shortages in ships without a shield." or something to that effect.
  • Change firing interval from 30 to 25 seconds.
  • Include a prototype development thread which includes what you outlined in your submission, as well as trial and error runs to create a more powerful Ion cannon. (30 posts.)
Suggestion
  • Try to put yourself in other people's shoes: if they were faced with your own idea, what would you do if someone were to disable your starfighter in a single shot, allowing for various other situations to take place? (Example)
  • Maybe tone down the weight? I don't really think 176,000 pounds (80 metric tons) is necessary for a 25 meter cannon. Maybe cut it down to 50 metric tons?
[member="Ice"]

After discussion this submission at length with my judge, I'm going to ask if it can simply be removed. I was informed by amy judge that three shots would knock out shields. So I assume another three would finish the ship off. Even if it was six shots, I planned on spending ten capital guns on the enforcer. With 10 standard ion cannons, I can thus theoretically achieve the same goal with a single concentrated volley. :) and now without the penalties I planned to take, the hassle of having the big one built, or needing a Dev thread!

Anyway, thanks for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom