Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Electromagnetic Pulse Emitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Electromagnetic Pulse Emitter

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: To create a personal EMP-device for Mathieu Brion.
  • Image Source: N/A
  • Canon Link: N/A
  • Permissions: N/A
  • Primary Source: N/A
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Classification: EMP
  • Size: Very Small
  • Weight: Average
  • Ammunition Type: Power cell
  • Ammunition Capacity: Average
  • Effective Range: Personal
  • Rate of Fire: Very Low
  • Stopping Power: Very High
  • Recoil: None
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Can be remotely activated if a direct connection via wire exists or if the wireless connection is enabled.
STRENGTHS
  • No need to aim: The EMP Emitter produces a pulse that extends along a 10 metre radius from the device which and will hit anything within it, removing the need to aim completely.
  • Powerful: It produces a powerful pulse which can bypass many defence measures against EMP attacks. There are ways to protect against EMP-attacks and to the extent that this protection is not complete, the pulse produced by the emitter will have a greater effect than that of a less powerful device. Electronics, whether they be droids, cybernetics, advanced tech armours or computer consoles can be temporarily disabled by the EMP Emitter.
  • Non-lethal: Does not harm organics. This provides the user with a non-lethal option to remove or diminish some threats without the risk of harming either themselves or their opponent.
  • Discrete: The device is small and it is not obvious that it can be used as a weapon. Therefore, it is relatively easy to bring anywhere. While it produces a highly visible bright field, it is relatively quiet, only producing a light pof-sound.
WEAKNESSES
  • Indiscriminate: Anything within the range of the pulse will be disabled, including the user's own equipment, friendly droids or nearby computer systems.
  • Not a field: It is an electromagnetic pulse and not any sort of electronically interfering field which means that it only disables items caught by the pulse. If the intended target manages to escape the pulse, it will be able to continue functioning until another pulse can be emitted.
  • Long downtime: Because of its indiscriminate nature, the Emitter also disables itself. While it has certain protections against EMP attacks, it pulse which it produces is powerful. Although it is capable of restarting relatively quickly after being disabled, the next pulse cannot be emitted before the device comes back online.
  • Short range: While it is possible to adjust the settings to make the range shorter than 10 metres, it is not possible to make it any longer. An opponent who stays at range can comfortably use their electronics without fear of being hit by an EMP. Weaving in and out of its 10 metre range even makes it possible for the target to narrowly avoid being hit by the pulse if they can remove themselves from the range fast enough.
DESCRIPTION
The Electromagnetic Pule Emitter, otherwise known as the EMP Emitter, was created by Mathieu Brion after he became a Jedi Padawan. The purpose behind creating it was to be able to quickly knock out electronics temporarily. For that purpose, the EMP Emitter is highly efficient when the targeted piece of electronics is within range.

The pulse travels through or past many objectives such as clothes, organics, trees and short walls but tends to not travel past the walls, floor or ceiling of a room, even if it reaches into them. This further limits the range which it has as it will typically not disable items in other rooms when the doors are closed. For foes inside the range of the pulse, however, avoiding it is nigh on impossible as it blasts out from the device at an incredible speed. This ensures that anyone but those just at the edge will almost definitely be caught.

Non-lethal and harmless to organics unless cybernetics are what keeps them alive, the emitter can be used relatively liberally. While the intended use is for the small device to be carried and used to create a spherical pulse around the user, it can also be thrown and activated remotely if so desired.

While the device has clear upsides, it also carries some equally clear downsides. Since it does not discriminate between targeted and non-targeted objectives, it can be a very blunt tool to use as it cannot even by directed in a certain direction. The nature of the pulse also means that it has to be used in occasional bursts rather than something which can be activated multiple times in a short period of time. If the pulse does not catch the targeted item, the user will have to wait until it restarts before being able to activate it again.

In a way, the emitter is rather versatile as it can be used on battlefields, in duels or covertly to disable a large array of electronics without anybody noticing. However, using it onboard smaller space craft like fighters or small freighters is not recommended as it can effectively disable the ship or important functions of it.

Last edited:
Hello, Krass Wyms Krass Wyms and thank you.

Sorry for the late response, I must have missed the notifications completely.

I did not have any specific thoughts about EMP shielded equipment specifically but with the strength 'Powerful' I did mention that it can allow the pulse to bypass many defences - and in this case, I would assume that 'defences' includes EMP shields. Still, I tried to remain relatively vague and non-definitive in the description in order to leave open a possibility for someone to create a defence which can go toe-to-toe with the offensive capabilities of this device.

I hope I interpreted your point correctly and that the above reasoning is satisfactory. If not, please clarify and I will gladly look at it again. If you have any particular forms of EMP shielding in mind which would negate a pure EMP, I would be grateful if you could point out which these defences would be. My knowledge on the topic is limited, so it would be helpful in better defining the potential strength or weakness of the device when execute the necessary changes.

Krass Wyms

Jedi Tech Division
Factory Judge
Pluperfect Pluperfect

off the top of my head duraplast, shielding for handling it. Most milkitary grade devices would be stronger resistance wise to it as it is a conventional attack.

The explanation you gave is vague which can be find. there doesn't have to be hard numbers but saying "now they can make defenses against it"

I tried to remain relatively vague and non-definitive in the description in order to leave open a possibility for someone to create a defence which can go toe-to-toe with the offensive capabilities of this device.

There are defenses in starwars for handling strong emp and ion weapons already. This would be another weapon with the effect albeit stronger

Thank you for giving me an idea of what the EMP-protection could be, Krass Wyms Krass Wyms

I have tried amending the strength 'Powerful' to reflect what you brought up in this message and have highlighted the change in orange below. It may be similar to the first sentence in spirit, but this should clarify that there are defences against EMP attacks and that the device has a greater effect than what would be classified as average if an effect could be had at all. I hope this highlights how the device deviates from what is the standard for other EMP-attacks and respects the existence of general protections against EMP-attacks. If not, I will be happy to look at the matter again.

• Powerful: It produces a powerful pulse which can bypass many defence measures against EMP attacks. There are ways to protect against EMP-attacks and to the extent that this protection is not complete, the pulse produced by the emitter will have a greater effect than that of a less powerful device. Electronics, whether they be droids, cybernetics, advanced tech armours or computer consoles can be temporarily disabled by the EMP Emitter.

I am very sorry to hear that you had to go through that. I hope you are alright, if that makes sense. Thank you for checking in and handing it over Krass Wyms Krass Wyms , not to mention all the help you have provided me with so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom