Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Electro Magnetic Mine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valik

Professor of Alchemy
Sucker_Punch_Explosive_Mine_1.JPG

Intent: To deter and punish the use of heavy armor against the Sith Empire.
Development Thread: http://starwarsrp.net/topic/4367-preparing-the-battlefield/
Hero Unit: No
Manufacturer: Seinar Army Systems/Valicore Engineering
Model: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Electro-mine
Affiliation: N/A
Modularity: The mine is produced with two different trigger mechanism, those being pressure-sensitive and motion-sensitive. These two trigger mechanisms can NOT be combined and as such every mine will have one trigger method or the other, never both. Other than the trigger method the mine cannot be altered.
Production: Minor
Material: Standard metals used in production of mines and electro-magnets
Description: The Electro-Magnetic Mine in the simplest terms is a mine that when tripped turns on an extremely powerful electro-magnet, presumably stripping lighter metallic weapons from the 'trippee' and immobilizing those wearing heavier metallic armor. This also creates significant interference with electronic equipment and/or droids not protected from magnetic interference until said equipment is manually repaired. The mine has built in hooks, screws, and other such systems to root itself into various terrains(In order to make sure the mine pulls tripper's equipment downwards instead of equipment pulling the mine upwards). This process is automated by a selection menu, literally something along the lines of "Select what terrain you wish to anchor this mine too." and presto, drills, hooks, screws etc. pop out to fulfill the terrain. This process can be bypassed if the mine is set on a metallic floor, be it a base, hull of a ship, metallic filled cave floor etc, as the magnet will exert more Force on the weighty ground than the weighty tripper. While these two methods of anchoring leave the mine very multi-terrain there are some terrains that it simply cannot cling too due to the lack of a solid base, the most notable example being a sandy desert. The mine itself is produced in two different variations, pressure sensitive trigger or motion sensing trigger. The pressure sensitive trigger takes an initial scan of the force exerted on it by gravity(downwards) and also to it's sides(from the dirt around it) after a predetermined "wait" period(set the mine for five seconds, run, mine takes scan five seconds later) or a remote activation(Plant mine, walk away, turn it on via remote). Once the pressure on the mind changes(either the gravitational or centripetal force) the mine activates. The motion sensor is activated the same way(wait period or remotely) and detonates if it detects movement.

Strengths and Weaknesses:
+Will significantly impede and/immobilize opponents wearing metallic armor.
+As it generates a strong magnetic field it will fry nearby computers, datapads, droids, basically anything with software.
-The mine requires time in order to lodge itself onto non-metallic surfaces, and thus you can't just plant one in the dirt as you're running around. You could set it on a metallic surface and let the magnetic field
-Does not actually physically harm the opponent.
-It's a mine, and hence doesn't discriminate on it's targets. In order to use the mine unencumbered you must either fight from a distance or not use any metallic equipment.
-As the mine likely has less mass than it's target's armor it can only be used when it can be properly lodged into one surface or when it has a larger mass of metal to cling to(Say a metallic floor or wall). Thus it cannot be used in places like deserts, or on dirt that has been rained on/flooded extensively.
-Not a weakness, but a limitation of note is that it's an anti-personell mine, and won't trap any vehicles that have an engine bigger than a personal speeder.

Weight: 7 kilograms
Size: .33 meters radius by .05 meters height
Effect Duration: Approximately 30 seconds.
Effect Radius: 3 meters(Volume)
Trigger Radius: 2 meters(surface area of pressure plate.), 1.5 meters(volume of motion sensor)

*Note: There was no Tech Template for mines, grenades, or other explosives, so I basically created one with with last five categories.

Valik

Professor of Alchemy
Ayden Cater said:
the exact mechanics of the mine
The mine is built in with three main tools which are A) A set of retractable hooks/spikes/screw etc. used to root the mine into place; B1)A sensor used to detect the iforce exerted by gravity on top of it and the centripetal force exerted on the mine by the whatever it might be buried in B2)A motion sensor; and C)An electro-magnet which is activated upon tripping the mine. The mine can have one of B1 or B2, but never both. You can't use both setting or switch from one to another, the two variations cannot use the other's sensory mechanism without physically taking it out and replacing the parts.

As for the software of the device, it has a very small data chip inside it which is programmed with a selection menu, the purpose of which is further explained below.

Ayden Cater said:
how it's armed
You go through a menu and select which terrain it's on(after which it roots itself into said ground using the retractable hooks/spikes/screws described above). Then you either set a timer to delay the activation of the pressure/motion sensor by X amount of seconds or arm it remotely. Once armed the sensors(whether they be pressure or motion based) are active, but nothing else is.

Ayden Cater said:
I'm not sure I understand the exact mechanics of the mine, how it's armed, and what it's exact effect is.
Once tripped a powerful electro-magnet is activated, creating a powerful attractive megnetic field which brings metallic objects into it and disrupts software, like taking a magnet and putting it next to a hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom