Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Dura-snow compound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karlie Lynn Destat

Conspiracy Theorist and Investigator (IBI)
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: To create a seismic/blast resistant layer of surface protection, using existing H20 (in snow/ice form) as a means of minimizing areal/orbital bombardment. In short, this new on the spot tech barrier is limited to cold climates where snow and ice has already fallen/formed, which in this particular submission is the Norther Mountainous regions of Alderaan for example.
  • Image Source: N/A
  • Canon Link: N/A
  • Permissions: N/A
  • Primary Source: N/A
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: System Castagne of the (CIS) Confederacy of Independent Systems initially developed for House DeVoe of System Alderaan by request.
  • Affiliation: CIS
  • Market Status: Open-Market
  • Model: N/A
  • Modularity: Easy to seed targeted areas that will become polymerized by means of areal distribution (similar to crop dusting)
  • Production: Mass-Produced
  • Material: It is a sodium based compound that quickly penetrates multi layers of snow and ice, which in the process releases complex hydro chemical reactive compounds that bind with snow and ice to form what could be described as dura -snow. This dura-snow is created out of snow/ice, which effectively absorbs percussions, both seismic and incendiary.

SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Can easily be distributed by seeding (like crop dusting) over now/ice areas to be treated.
  • Once activated, polymers meld by capillary action to snow/ice molecules and form a resilient media that absorbs shock/percussions.
  • Can't be distinguished between untreated snow/ice. Can actually be ski/snowboarded on. One can still make snowmen and snow angels with the treated surface. Basically, children can still play on it safely.
  • Treated surfaces not recommended for human consumption due to the high sodium delivery contents.
STRENGTHS
  • Provides a layer of protection by binding snow/ice to underlying surfaces against area/orbital bombardments. Main use is to soften bombardments of deep dug in civilian shelters where snow/ice covering is present.
  • Tests conducted show a level of protection of 1 standard percussion hit to 1 meter of treated snow/ice protection. 2 meters will provide a 2 standard ordinance hit in same exact area. 3 meters snow/ice will take three hits etc...
  • Best application against random carpet bombings, where the likelihood of precision guided missiles not targeting the same area.
WEAKNESSES
  • Not intended for repeated multi concentrated hits (same area) as provided by guided/smart bombs targeting same hit area.
  • Compound needs to be stored in dry form (water will spoil/break down compound)
  • Compound has a half life of 18 hours upon activation.
  • Chemically breaks down within 24 hours upon activation.
  • Surfaces must be re-seeded to form new protective layer where snow/ice exists.
  • No snow/ice present =no protective layer formed. Snow/ice needs to be present or produced first.
  • Cold climate use only
  • Useless on liquid H20. It just dissolves and breaks down.
  • Useless under incendiary ordinances. Not heat resistant, as heat melts snow/ice.
DESCRIPTION
Dura-snow/ice was originally developed as a means of finding a binder to stabilize and prevent snow avalanches in the Northern Mountain Regions of Alderaan.
Many chemical formulations were found to potentially work, without adversely affecting the snow or landscape, other than stabilizing the snow/ice as a whole. One particular formula which used simple sodium matrix as a base was discovered to efficiently deliver and distribute the cH20 activated binder to bind the ice molecules of snow/ice such as on a typical mountain.
Testing of the stabilized snow/ice sheets were done using same detonation charges that would typically be used to initiate an avalanche. The tests revealed that the snow/ice binder did indeed stabilize the sheet of snow/ice on the mountain. What was also discovered was that seismic readings of the underlying mountain barely registered. This indicated that the bonded snow/ice absorbed the shock from the detonations.
Further tests and research later revealed that the snow/ice binder treatment could sustain much greater battering, even from military arsenals without transmitting the shockwaves through the binded snow/ice.
It was soon realized that this new binding technology could be used for the very same purpose of creating a bombardment shield from areal/orbital bombardments.

However... the most successful of formulations that had the greatest potential of creating a layer of protection from areal/orbital bombardments had a HALF-LIFE of 18 hours. in short, within 24 hours the binders would deteriorate and leave the snow/ice as it were before seeding.
It was then determined that in order to sustain this type of protection to the mountain ranges and areas of heavy snow that they would have to be re-seeded/treated every 24 hours.
The importance of this compound and it's ability to protect the underlaying surface (like a mountain, snow covered valleys) was that Alderaan has a system of tunnels, shelters dug deep within undisclosed mountain ranges to protect it's populations at times of sith invasions.
It is with this technology (and other unconventional techniques/tactics) that Alderaanii population whom are able to be evacuated to shelters, is what makes Alderaan so resilient in terms of surviving areal/orbital bombardments from invasions and planetary attacks.

Last edited:
I think you have the wrong template for this submission?

Personally, for this submission the technology template should be used. Karlie Lynn Destat Karlie Lynn Destat

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: (Example: 'A personal weapon for Darth Scabious' or 'an advanced armored personnel carrier for the Republic')
  • Image Source: (Please link to where you found the image, or to the original artist if possible. TinEye or Google Image Search can help.)
  • Canon Link: (Please link the canon link if applicable canon item.)
  • Permissions: (Please link any Marketplace purchase approvals or other permissions to use other Writer’s submissions as part of the submission)
  • Primary Source: (Please link and cite the sources which you are modifying for your use in your submission.)
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: (Kuat Drive Yards, BlasTech Industries, [Character Name], etc. Please ensure you link these accordingly.)
  • Affiliation: (Individual Character Name (an individual PC/NPC who is permitted to use this item), Company Name(s) (Companies authorised to use this submission), Faction Name(s) (Factions authorised to use this submission), other potential options include a submitted NPC unit, or another general organisation/group.)
  • Market Status: (Closed-Market (Any character can use this if they have explicit permission through, for example, a marketplace purchase), Open-Market (May be used by any character without permission from the Manufacturer))
  • Model: (Example: E-11 Blaster Rifle. For submissions where a model wouldn't be appropriate, such as a custom walking stick, put 'N/A' for 'Not Applicable'.)
  • Modularity: (Can components of this submission be swapped out for other components? Is it especially easy to modify? For most submissions, put 'No'.)
  • Production: The scale is Unique (Only One Character), Semi-Unique (A single small unit, squad, or squadron), Limited (Only one small group of characters. IE: A Single Minor Faction, Company, or Group within a faction.), Minor (Large groups of characters. (IE: A Single Major Faction, a few companies, or groups.), Mass-Produced. (Anyone.) Characters refer to NPCs & PCs.)
  • Material: (What is it made out of? Certain materials are more resistant, or vulnerable to certain weapons. Example: 'Durasteel, blaster components.' If this submission uses materials not found on wookieepedia, please link. You may also be asked to link materials that are obscure or difficult to find, e.g. exist as a byline in wikia entry. )
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • (Detail briefly in a list format actual contents of the known abilities, special features, qualities of note, etc. If these are notable enough to be strengths, please add them to strengths)
STRENGTHS
  • (Provide, in list format, a minimum of 1 strength of this submission.)
WEAKNESSES
  • (Provide, in list format, a minimum of 1 weaknesses of this submission.)
DESCRIPTION
(Describe some of the histories behind the submission. Give us some idea of how it might perform its function, what it excels against and what some limitations of it are. This is where you talk about your idea, flesh it out over at least a good-sized paragraph, and address some of the ways it might be used or abused. For especially powerful or ambitious submissions, a very thorough description is recommended.)

Karlie Lynn Destat

A pleasure to meet you then, Mr Willingham. :D
I've made some corrections keeping to the given format you provided. By the way, thank you for that and your patience.

Ok, let it rip...
Er, I mean I think I'm ready for the review. ~gulp~ :)

Matthew Locke Matthew Locke

Karlie Lynn Destat Karlie Lynn Destat

Yeah, I was just a little confused why you were that format for what you were trying to create that's all.

I just want to clear some things up before I go ahead and send this to my mentor.

If this is meant to protect against bombardments and one of the weaknesses is fire, doesn't a round from a blaster create a heat element that will exploit the weakness therefore making that functionality of it useless? Or is it more against kinetic weapons such as slugthrowers and normal blaster rounds?

Karlie Lynn Destat

Matthew Locke Matthew Locke

True, heat will melt all ice and snow and it will do the same for this application. The binders in the compound only temporarily stitch snow/ice together to form an shock absorbency barrier. It only protects what lies under the ground surface...under soil, rock such as dug in shelters.

This technology is not intended to be used as primary defense, but as a secondary supplement. And only to areas covered in snow and ice... ex: The Northern mountain regions of Alderaan as in the links.
It's design purpose is to absorb the majority of the said kinetic energy from the bombardment of underground/tunnel shelters which are dug into mountains/under ground, under snow and ice.
Again, the compound does break down within 24hrs, so it's not a permanent defense shield.

I'm creating this to justify as to how Alderaanii seem to sprout back up (survive sith bombardments in the Northern Mountain regions) from undisclosed underground/mountain shelters, to rebuild after the sith leave. Justifying some good portions of civilian survivors. :)

Matthew Locke Matthew Locke | Karlie Lynn Destat Karlie Lynn Destat

While this is a really cool idea, there are a few things I would like clarified before I move this on for approval.

1) Strength

While you say is protects from orbital bombardment it isn't exactly clear how much protection is applied. While the hits taken are always the choice of the defender, along with damage taken, it would be nice to have some idea of the level of protection the Dura-snow will provide.

2) Affiliation

I am slightly confused. While the production is classed as limited and you say you want it to be only available to Aldaraan's system, you have affiliated it with the CIS, which means anyone in the major faction can use it. This seems to be both against your request of it being a limited production item, and counter to your intent to provide it only for Alderaan. My suggestion would be to limit it down to just Alderaan instead of making it available to the entire CIS.

Karlie Lynn Destat

First: thank you Mr Locke for your insight. :)
I had thought in terms of others not being interested in the idea.

I have made changes to open up the market and production for anyone to use.

I have also metered the strength/resiliency of protection to 1 treated meter deep to 1 standard ordinance hit....... 2 meters can take 2 standard bomb hits......3 meters, 3 hits of standard bombs etc. Hope that is sufficient. I can lower that to what you suggest. :)

I have also noted this in weaknesses for the purpose in the ability of using guided/smart bombs to hit same area and eventual loss of protection from treated snow/ice.
Again, snow/ice 1 meter thick or more must be present to meet these criteria of protection, which still includes it's short 18 hour half life of provided protection.

John Locke John Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom