Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship Displacer

Status
Not open for further replies.
cO5Qfdeh.jpg

Image Source: http://clearhorizonsalvage.blogspot.jp/2013/05/clearhorizon-miniatures-sneak-peek-drop.html
Affiliation: LOOM, Ultimatum
Manufacturer: LOOM
Model: Pod
Modularity: No
Production: Mass
Material: Durasteel
Classification: Drop pod
Length: 10 meters
Height: 15 meters
Width: 10 meters

Armament: 0
Defenses: 10

Squadron Count: 12

Special Features:
Heat Shielding
Durasteel armor plating
Ray Shields
Particle Shields
Repulsor coils
Inertial Compensator
Maneuverability Rating: 20
Speed Rating:
Space: 10
Atmosphere (Given the help of gravity): 5
Hyperdrive Class: N/A

Strengths: Carries a number of troops directly the surface
Capable of absorbing the heat of reentry with little danger for the occupants
Built with shields to defend against anti-air fire
Once landed, shield will give minimal protection to ground forces as they exit the pod
Weaknesses:
Vulnerable to starship fire while in transit
While relatively armored, it can still be knocked off course by enemy fire and bad weather, causing it to possibly land in an incorrect position
Damage to the entrances, or explosive bolts, will often leave forces trapped inside
Once on the ground, the shield will not last long and those forces still within are then vulnerable to weapons fire
Continued use of this for soldiers will often leave long term damage to the legs due to the impact

Description:
The Displacer was built off of old Imperial designs of drop pods. Originally, the pods were built to simply take small vehicles on starships in orbit and drop them onto the surface of a planet to begin combat operations. The pods were built to absorb even the most intense of heats from reentry. However because of the intent of the Displacer to carry troops as well as manned vehicles, these pods are built to slow down upon reentry so that the landing does as little harm to the occupants of the pod as possible. The ship is made to carry one small armored vehicle, or about thirty standard soldiers.

These ships are built with standard shielding capabilities found on small star fighters, however they have a smaller generator to save space and thus the shields only last so long. During the entry to a planet and until it lands, the shields are oriented downwards in order to absorb fire from ground based weapons. Once it lands the shields are turned outwards in order to give the troops time to reorient themselves and begin fighting.

The vessel is made to be reusable, however damage done to the pods by weapon fire, or geographical hazards, can easily render a pod in need of repair. An artillery shell on a pod could easily destroy the entire thing without too much difficulty, however while its shields are up it is relatively safe from most weapons, excluding star fighter blasters or heavy vehicle weaponry.

The pods can be launched from a hangar thanks to their repulsor coils, which can be used to pushed them out of a hangar and towards a planet. Usually it is a better idea to use some form of launcher however, thus they were built to be adaptable to escape pod launchers in case a commander wishes to free up hangar space. The pod uses the gravity of a planet in order to draw it in and is made to withstand the forces exerted upon it by such a maneuver, the vessel is made to handle even a direct 90 degree entry should that ever occur. The various shields of the craft are oriented downwards and are meant to both absorb the heat as well as protect from potential fire from the ground. Once it has entered the planet's atmosphere, the ship begins powering the coils to slow the ascent. The Durasteel armor is capable of handling the impact at full speed, but the people in are not. When it hits the ground it is still crashing rather hard, normally this rate would hurt the people within, except the inertial compensators help keep the people inside from harm. A particularly hard landing can overcome the compensators and can still cause problems for the individuals within.

The shields are then focused outward around the ship to protect it from fire from the sides. The heat shield is shut off to allow the other shields more power and to make them last longer. The doors then open to allow soldiers, or vehicles, into the battlefield, if something malfunctions in the door then a handle beside each of the three doorways can activate explosive bolts that blow the entire door frame away from the vessel. The shields are normally timed to last two minutes once the heat shields are deactivated, however this time can be increased if an external power source is connected, such a vehicle generator. Once the shields run out of power, the vessel is then left open for any to use, to be destroyed, or to be collected at some point in the future and then reused.

Development Thread: Can make if needed.
Intent: To create an entry for forces onto planets when it is difficult if not impossible to utilize conventional transport.
Who Can Use This: Anyone given one through LOOM, by Ultimatum
Primary Source:N/A

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

[member="Ultimatum"], what's the carrying capacity of this pods? (passengers, vehicles, droids, cargo capacity, etc)

Ultimatum said:
While relatively protected from anti-air fire, it can still be knocked off course and land in an incorrect position

Ultimatum said:
Anti-armor rounds, artillery, cannon fire, are all capable of punching through the armor once the shields have gone offline

Ultimatum said:
Shots from the side, usually from star fighters are dangerous to the ship and it can be shot out of the sky with two direct hits.

I'd recommend deleting these items that give it direct ideas of shield strength. There's a large variety of weapons that could attack this thing, which can be either very good or very bad for this thing. Since these are described as having starfighter-grade shields, we have a pretty good idea of what they're capable of defending against. I'd probably rephrase the first to be capable of being knocked off by enemy fire or bad weather.

Ultimatum said:
The Durasteel armor is capable of handling the impact at full speed, but the people in are not. When it hits the ground it is still crashing rather hard, normally knocking the unprepared off their feet and leaving a minor crater.
There's a couple of things that you can use to help deal with the landing problem, including inertial compensators and Tekonite, if you do want to have the craft slow down a whole on its descent (that's probably when it's most vulnerable to enemy fire).

Okay, so I removed two of the lines and made adjustments to the first:

"While relatively armored, it can still be knocked off course by enemy fire and bad weather, causing it to possibly land in an incorrect position"

I added inertial compensators and made some adjustments to the lines about landing, I think I got them all. However I left in that a rough landing may be too strong for the compensators.

"When it hits the ground it is still crashing rather hard, normally this rate would hurt the people within, except the inertial compensators help keep the people inside from harm. A particularly hard landing can overcome the compensators and can still cause problems for the individuals within."

As for the passenger amount, I decided on two armored vehicles, basing it on the AT-ST measurements, and about a hundred men. Being ten meters square gives lots of room and I had calculated that if people are about 0.6 meters broad at the shoulders then I would be able to fit about twenty in either direction. I decided to go with a hundred rather than find the exact amount, 400, I think, so that there is room for support weapons and to prepare before hitting the ground. Do you think I should increase the number, or leave it, or lower it?

"The ship is made to carry two small armored vehicle, or about one hundred standard soldiers."

[member="Gir Quee"]

Ultimatum said:
As for the passenger amount, I decided on two armored vehicles, basing it on the AT-ST measurements, and about a hundred men. Being ten meters square gives lots of room and I had calculated that if people are about 0.6 meters broad at the shoulders then I would be able to fit about twenty in either direction. I decided to go with a hundred rather than find the exact amount, 400, I think, so that there is room for support weapons and to prepare before hitting the ground. Do you think I should increase the number, or leave it, or lower it? "The ship is made to carry two small armored vehicle, or about one hundred standard soldiers."
That looks a bit high to me for its size. Take a look at the Alliance Squad Pod and the Imperial Troop Pod. At that size, it might be able to carry a single AT-ST in a folded configuration or several small ground like AT-PTs or CAVs.

Alternatively, you might consider increasing the size so that it's something like the All Terrain Rapid Deployment Pod. This would allow you to carry more soldiers and vehicles as well as enable the possibility of carrying larger vehicles.

Since the pod is currently the rough size of an average starfighter, if we go with the first option, squadron count should be the normal "12". If you go with the second option, the squadron count will be lowered depending on the exact size.

Gir Quee said:
At that size, it might be able to carry a single AT-ST in a folded configuration or several small ground like AT-PTs or CAVs.
From my understanding the height of an AT-ST is 8.6 meters, the pod is 15 meters tall and I assume wide enough to contain two. Ten meters, I assume squared, for only twenty or so people seems really strange to me, I take it to be about 100 meters total surface area. That is a lot of room, at least I think it is, I may be wrong. If people take up less than a meter in either direction hen theoretically one could fit a hundred men standing side by side.

However I notice now that I look back at the submission, that I incorrectly calculated the total surface area based off of a twenty meter square floor plan. This was a mistake and I apologize, I had thought that with 400 meters there was plenty room for a hundred men and whatever gear they might be outfitted with. As it is, I believe there is approximately a 100 meter sized floor to work with. I assume that a human soldier will take up more than a meter square with all the gear they have to wear. I think that is a rather tight space however, so I have lowered the number to 50 soldiers.

Is that better?

For increasing the size of the pod I would prefer to work with the available size as I would like to later come out with larger pods for larger vehicles and what not. I appreciate the thought.

Thank you for letting me know about the squadron size I have adjusted it accordingly.

Ultimatum said:
From my understanding the height of an AT-ST is 8.6 meters, the pod is 15 meters tall and I assume wide enough to contain two. Ten meters, I assume squared, for only twenty or so people seems really strange to me, I take it to be about 100 meters total surface area. That is a lot of room, at least I think it is, I may be wrong. If people take up less than a meter in either direction hen theoretically one could fit a hundred men standing side by side. However I notice now that I look back at the submission, that I incorrectly calculated the total surface area based off of a twenty meter square floor plan. This was a mistake and I apologize, I had thought that with 400 meters there was plenty room for a hundred men and whatever gear they might be outfitted with. As it is, I believe there is approximately a 100 meter sized floor to work with. I assume that a human soldier will take up more than a meter square with all the gear they have to wear. I think that is a rather tight space however, so I have lowered the number to 50 soldiers. Is that better?
Soldiers aren't the only thing going into this pod, so they're not the only things taking up this calculated space. There are things like your combat shields, your environmental shielding (from atmospheric reentry and radiation), inertial compensators, life support, repulsor coils, their power source, and other basic systems.

While it's not the most accurate way of calculating things, I find that linearly scaling things up from known similar ships is the easiest way to roughly calculate things like this. Based on the Imperial troop pod (assuming that 10 meters is it's largest dimension), this works out to be 30 people. Depending on the internal layout, I can see this carrying a single AT-ST ready to go, but that's going to largely remove the ability of this to carry other people.

I see what you're saying, thanks!
Alright, so I made the following adjustment:

"The ship is made to carry one small armored vehicle, or about thirty standard soldiers."

That okay?

[member="Gir Quee"]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom